• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Actually, I would not be surprised in the least if Tifa gets a Brawler costume, and if Barret gets a gunner costume as well, at this point.
I think Sepheroth would be a Swordsman.
(Vincent as a Gunner pls?)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Honestly the whole "3rd parties need to be iconic" thing sounds like another fan rule desperately waiting to be broken just like all the others. I don't think we're getting any indies but it seems a little presumptuous to say only iconic 3rd parties can get in with how many times we make up a rule only to see it broken.
I would agree with that if we didn't have the 5 3rd parties we have, all of which are either genre-defining or known worldwide by gamers everywhere. :4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud:

Think of it this way. People all the time think about certain criteria for Nintendo characters getting added to Smash. Think back to the first Smash. Who should make it? Mario, Luigi, DK, Link, Samus, Pikachu...all super famous or groundbreaking. Or just overall popular. Why should that mentality break when considering 3rd parties?

Not to mention, why should a character like Shantae suddenly be lined up next to :4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud:? Or better yet, :4mario::4luigi::4link::4pikachu::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud:? If I were thinking of the Top 3rd parties, Indie characters are not what I think of. The proof comes from what we've tangibly been shown from Sakurai/Nintendo.

Aside from that, Sakurai used the term, "not just anybody". So far, he's kept his word with that statement. None of the 3rd parties added have been a character from a minor 3rd party series. I mean, think about the biggest series' in gaming...

Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Sonic the Hedgehog, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, Halo, God Of War, Rayman, Call of Duty, Gears of War, Grand Theft Auto, etc... sales be damned. I'm talking more about the hype surrounding each release mind you.

Obviously not every series in that list will get into Smash. I WOULD be fairly upset if a COD soldier got into Smash. I love Shovel Knight. I just played through the game for the first time, and I think he'd be a fun Smash characters. However, I'll fully admit he really doesn't stack up with the other characters right now. Years down the line? Maybe. Right now? I don't know. I think he and other Indie's need to establish themselves and rise from obscurity. A **** ton of people know who Cloud is. There are reaction videos everywhere because of that trailer. I don't think you'd see similar reaction to Shantae or any other Indie.

My point is, that while there may not be any sort of actual statement, I don't think there needs to be an official statement telling us that 3rd parties need to be at the level that we've been shown. There's, quite frankly, no reason to believe otherwise, simply based on the virtue that Shantae, Shovel Knight or any other indie does not compare to our current 3rd party cast.
(sorry for the wall o'text, I just wanted to give my two cents :awesome:)

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
It's sad that most people don't want another Pokémon character as DLC (although it's perfectly understandable). I just can't help but find it unfair that Grass-type Pokémon are never given proper treatment like Fire- and Water-type Pokémon. Even in games like LoZ: OoT, all three elements are treated equally, given their own mini-dungeon, temple, area, and sage. At this point, I would be happy even if we got Ivysaur back.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I would agree with that if we didn't have the 5 3rd parties we have, all of which are either genre-defining or known worldwide by gamers everywhere. :4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud:

Think of it this way. People all the time think about certain criteria for Nintendo characters getting added to Smash. Think back to the first Smash. Who should make it? Mario, Luigi, DK, Link, Samus, Pikachu...all super famous or groundbreaking. Or just overall popular. Why should that mentality break when considering 3rd parties?

Not to mention, why should a character like Shantae suddenly be lined up next to :4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud:? Or better yet, :4mario::4kirby::4link::4pikachu::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud:? If I were thinking of the Top 3rd parties, Indie characters are not what I think of. The proof comes from what we've tangibly been shown from Sakurai/Nintendo.

Aside from that, Sakurai used the term, "not just anybody". So far, he's kept his word with that statement. None of the 3rd parties added have been a character from a minor 3rd party series. I mean, think about the biggest series' in gaming...

Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Sonic the Hedgehog, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, Halo, God Of War, Rayman, Call of Duty, Gears of War, Grand Theft Auto, Minecraft, etc... sales be damned. I'm talking more about the hype surrounding each release mind you.

Obviously not every series in that list will get into Smash. I WOULD be fairly upset if a COD soldier got into Smash. I love Shovel Knight. I just played through the game for the first time, and I think he'd be a fun Smash characters. However, I'll fully admit he really doesn't stack up with the other characters right now. Years down the line? Maybe. Right now? I don't know. I think he and other Indie's need to establish themselves and rise from obscurity. A **** ton of people know who Cloud is. There are reaction videos everywhere because of that trailer. I don't think you'd see similar reaction to Shantae or any other Indie.

My point is, that while there may not be any sort of actual statement, I don't think there needs to be an official statement telling us that 3rd parties need to be at the level that we've been shown. There's, quite frankly, no reason to believe otherwise, simply based on the virtue that Shantae, Shovel Knight or any other indie does not compare to our current 3rd party cast.
Fixed. (Come on it's Kirby, Luigi ain't notin' compared to him!)

Last edited:

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
It's sad that most people don't want another Pokémon character as DLC (although it's perfectly understandable). I just can't help but find it unfair that Grass-type Pokémon are never given proper treatment like Fire- and Water-type Pokémon. Even in games like LoZ: OoT, all three elements are treated equally, given their own mini-dungeon, temple, area, and sage. At this point, I would be happy even if we got Ivysaur back.
I dunno man I am a big fan of pokemon myself and with the roster there I think we are ok as we stand pokemon wise.

People want an icon that hasn't gotten any love?
Tetris Stage with falling blocks. in a similar style to the Kirby GB level.
I want the walls, and the falling blocks with the only way to be Koed is to be toped out or Squashed

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
See what I mean? Almost nobody cares about Grass-types. They'll always be cast aside and treated like dirt just so that the same Pokémon can keep on getting more exposure. *cries*

I'm also a big fan of Pokémon, but I have every right to be disappointed with the current roster of 'mons. We lost two unique fighters and got the same number of Pokémon as there were in Brawl.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So, what impossibilities would you like to see for DLC?
(Urban Champion Mii Costume pls?)
You want the truly impossible right? In that case, I want Kaiba from Yugioh to be a playable character, with his splash text being "Kaiba screws the rules!".:troll:
I agree, Grass Pokemon really do deserve equal representation to their Water and Fire counterparts.
It's a bit funny, it's really a very similar reason to why I support Jirachi so strongly, I feel like mythical pokemon with all their contributions to Pokemon should have equal rep to the legendaries (:4mewtwo:). Their both gen 3 too, t'is a shame that it's nigh impossible to get more than one of them because of that, since both would be "perfect" in terms of their representation of both their type (mythical or Grass) and their generation in my opinion.

I don't understand why so many people are vehemently opposed to another Pokemon rep though, I understand that many people don't want another one, which is fine, but what's with all the massive opposition? Pokemon is the second largest gaming franchise in the world, there's no way it having 7 reps is completely unreasonable or something, especially with Fire Emblem currently having 5, right? I'm kind of confused on that, would anyone who is strongly opposed to any Pokemon newcomers tell me why their opposed, I'd be very grateful because as of right now I just can't understand? I really want to understand so if any of you want to share why, please feel free to be as blunt as you have to be to get your point across.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I don't understand why so many people are vehemently opposed to another Pokemon rep though, I understand that many people don't want another one, which is fine, but what's with all the massive opposition? Pokemon is the second largest gaming franchise in the world, there's no way it having 7 reps is completely unreasonable or something, especially with Fire Emblem currently having 5, right? I'm kind of confused on that, would anyone who is strongly opposed to any Pokemon newcomers tell me why their opposed, I'd be very grateful because as of right now I just can't understand? I really want to understand so if any of you want to share why, please feel free to be as blunt as you have to be to get your point across.
It even makes less sense when Pokémon actually had MORE reps than Mario in Brawl (Pikachu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Jigglypuff and Lucario compared to Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Peach).

Last edited:

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
My only real reason is not really the number but the many fighting styles already represented in the pokemon roster. Each one is unique and im not sure what other monsters [sides eevee] would be able to pull in a straight new type of game play. [mew two is the only real copy cat.] Id love to see more pokemon refs if they had unique game play like the ones we have now. teh fact that each of them feel unique even in contrast to the other fighters is awesome, so give me a pokemon that has a Completely unique combat style and im happy. [though taking away some of Charizards flight messes with his old game play alot.]

[though it goes without saying that if any of the Eevee lutions came into play id be a super happy camper xD so uh grass type? LEAFEON ftw then. Sylveon would be an awesoem rep for the newer games though.]
so we need to think of a pokemon rep thats not already an assist.

Last edited:
mew two is the only real copy cat
wat

ignoring that. . . Pokemon has one of the most diverse rosters in the history of anything. If a playstyle exists there is a damn good chance a pokemon could fill it. Graceful psychic? Gardevoir. Need arm blades? Gallade. Tail fighter? Ambipom and probably a few others. The list goes on and on because there are hundreds of those thing filling a bunch of roles.

The problem with pokemon representation is not unique movesets. With a designer like Sakurai at the wheel and the giant possibilities that is far from the issue.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Pokemon's biggest issue with characters is easily competition. It's best to appeal to the majority, so the more popular a Pokemon is, the more likely they are. Lucario's one of the most popular Pokemon, and Greninja's snuck his way into the spotlight. Hopefully the most popular Pokemon will stay refreshing and unique

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
wat

ignoring that. . . Pokemon has one of the most diverse rosters in the history of anything. If a playstyle exists there is a damn good chance a pokemon could fill it. Graceful psychic? Gardevoir. Need arm blades? Gallade. Tail fighter? Ambipom and probably a few others. The list goes on and on because there are hundreds of those thing filling a bunch of roles.

The problem with pokemon representation is not unique movesets. With a designer like Sakurai at the wheel and the giant possibilities that is far from the issue.
since the games release I mean with dlc mewtwo was added to the game and is VERY VERY close to how Lucario plays at a base level. teh only differences are the Aura affect and a few specials.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Simple. Because people who couldn't care less about Pokemon are upset that Sakurai chose another Pokemon character over their wanted character.

Also, people are crazy about reps here for some reason. I think it's arbitrary; how much representation is too much representation? I mean representation is so subjective, in that sense, IMO.

And btw; people are just as upset with FE having 5 reps. In fact, FE being "overrepped" has become a meme at this point. When Cloud was announced, many people sarcastically said: "Another FE character?" It's well known at this point that FE has more characters than other franchises. I see way more complaints with FE characters than I do with Pokemon.

Isn't it also kind of hypocritical to be completely fine with having another Pokemon character, but to not be fine with another FE character? I understand that Pokemon makes a ton of more money than FE does, but like Pokemon, FE has quite a bit of potential when it comes to characters. People are complaining about how the Pokemon roster lacks a grass-type, yet oh, we can't get an Axe or a Lance fighter to the FE roster because FE has too many characters? It's just weird I think. FE I think actually is not as well-represented as everyone thinks it is, but hey that's just my opinion. Representation like I said is completely subjective. *shrug*

Last edited:
since the games release I mean with dlc mewtwo was added to the game and is VERY VERY close to how Lucario plays at a base level. teh only differences are the Aura affect and a few specials.
. . .You're kidding right? There aren't still people who think this right?

A. Lucario copies Mewtwo if anything.
B. Lucario and Mewtwo share 1 similar move (not even the same) in neutral b which is also shared with Samus. Every other move they have is completely different.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

B. Lucario and Mewtwo share 1 similar move (not even the same) in neutral b which is also shared with Samus. Every other move they have is completely different.
You forgot to mention Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball both being very different moves

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

The function is different in the way that it's significantly more powerful then Aura Sphere.

Morbi

Scavenger
Does anyone have a translation of that tweet that Sakurai released after the Nintendo Direct? It was in regard to the December presentation. Around the time, I heard a couple different translations. Something about Sakurai jumping through hoops to get a character in the game that may or may not have been Cloud? I just cannot help but wonder which character might have been difficult to get in the game. Cloud seems obvious, but, why tweet about it in the first place then?

For some reason, I feel as though it has to do with Snake. Perhaps an explanation as to why he was not on the disc, but he worked hard to bring him back as DLC or something. I mean, the reason is obvious, but maybe he feels obligated to provide us with an explanation which will probably amount to... Konami tho. But hey, I do not even remember what the tweet said and GameXplain's translation was completely different.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I hope some Final Fantasy Mii costumes are included though.
Well Chocobos are guaranteed...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Black Mage outfit either...

Of course I would love a Tifa brawler, Barret (and Vincent) Gunner and Sephiroth/Zack Swordsman...

I can see DQ stuff coming as well such as a Slime hat...

Last edited:
Does anyone have a translation of that tweet that Sakurai released after the Nintendo Direct? It was in regard to the December presentation. Around the time, I heard a couple different translations. Something about Sakurai jumping through hoops to get a character in the game that may or may not have been Cloud? I just cannot help but wonder which character might have been difficult to get in the game. Cloud seems obvious, but, why tweet about it in the first place then?

For some reason, I feel as though it has to do with Snake. Perhaps an explanation as to why he was not on the disc, but he worked hard to bring him back as DLC or something. I mean, the reason is obvious, but maybe he feels obligated to provide us with an explanation which will probably amount to... Konami tho. But hey, I do not even remember what the tweet said and GameXplain's translation was completely different.
I hope I twittered properly

Push's translations sure are helpful

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
FF/Square Enix Mii costumes eh? I can think of a few I'd like:

Swordsman: Jecht, Sephiroth, Lightning [ducks tomato for the last one]
Brawler: Tifa, Neku (not an FF character but is owned by Squeenix), Prishe
Gunner: Barret, Laguna, maybe X-2 Yuna lel

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sephiroth for Mii Swordfighter, Tifa for Brawler, and A Zack costume for Mii Swordfighter.

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
I'd be thrilled with Tifa/Yuffie Brawler, Barret/Vincent Gunner, Sephiroth Swordsman Mii costumes. Beyond that i expect Wolf and a few other Nintendo Reps from the ballot, Possibly one more Third Party to top it off. Should be interesting come December...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As for December, I'm expecting Wolf, quite possibly Snake, and first party ballot picks.

(I really hope Mecha-Fiora is one of those ballot picks. And no I no longer consider her a walking spoiler because of her trophy in Smash Tour (which does NOT count as an in game role, fyi) and Project X Zone 2).

D

Deleted member

I miss Snake I'd love if he got in, Bandana Dee, K. Rool, Shantae, Wolf, Inklings I want in as well. But if it's Snake that's just as good.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
In December, anything can happen. ANYTHING! (well, almost anything..) Sakurai has just been so unpredictable lately, and the ballot "winners" are still unclear, IMO. Is Sakurai going to pick the character suggestion he finds the most interesting, or is Sakurai going to pick the most popular character suggestion? Heck, is he going to disregard the ballot completely and add whomever he wants? Who knows?

I personally think that we're getting one more veteran, and one more newcomer with Cloud. The veteran may be either Snake or Wolf, and the newcomer could be anyone, really. As much as I would want another oddball character, Sakurai's probably going to play it safe this time, and add someone popular. Oh well. Can't win them all I guess. :p

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
You know what would be cool?

Tifa Lockhart as a playable character....jus sayin'

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
What the hell are you talking about? Sakurai is known to have wanted Wolf in Melee (in Falco's stead), but they were graphically too similar for Melee. He is one of three characters in the opening movie who were not then playable (Samurai Goroh and a tiny Ridley that was somehow fine for a Movie but not a character but clearly shows Sakurai can envision the character as a humanoid).
OK so what happened was that some guy on the Internet lied to everyone. Since no one ever asked for proof, his message was accepted in blind faith. I tracked down the original user (originally a post on Neogaf) and had them eventually admit to this. Also, I have every Famitsu Column/ interview and this has never been mentioned thereby confirming that indeed the OP is a jerk and the importance of asking for sources.

Please read through this.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
So...Why isn't there a Rhythm Heaven stage again?

It's another one of the 100% first-party Nintendo IPs that's getting around quite a bit lately. This was the best it could have gotten.

But all it gets it one random Smash Run enemy (3DS), a few trophies (grand total that can only be counted with one hand on both versions), and two music tracks (on a terrible downloadable stage).

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I hope I twittered properly

Push's translations sure are helpful
Thank you very much. It certainly gives a different impression than Google translate. For a moment there, I thought that the worst might have happened. I, for one mere moment, thought that Goku might have been plausible. I am glad that Cloud has opened everyone's perspective, but maybe he had too great of an effect!

SpiritofSpeed

Smash Cadet
In next month's broadcast I'm fully expecting Cloud, Wolf and Inklings plus some Fighter Ballot reveals. I expect the ballot characters will probably be progressively released throughout next year.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
In all set honesty the biggest, and I do mean BIGGEST and best thing they could add for DLC would be Custom moves for the DLC characters. Like for example giving Ryu alternates based on Ken, akuma, or Sakura for his many attacks. As much as id love smash run stuff I know it wont happen due to Allthe dlc being Connected to both systems instead of system specific stuff.
another addition that could be cool would be the ability to download stages palyers made on Wii U and use them on 3ds. Im sure there are alot of stages peole have made that would work perfectly well on the 3ds game.
Half of the community doesn't give a flying monkey about the custom moves.
Improving some of the current features seems like a much more likely scenario/necessary. Such as more integrated amiibo use, single player campaigns, mini games, a decent tournamen ability, more social media capabilities, more to replays, more accessibility to have online games vary (stocks, 1v1 for fun), stage hazards just off...

Calling custom moves a big deal, or even a massive endeavor, is like asking for Dr Luigi for a character, some people do it and the majority cannot fathom the logic behind such a bold claim.

ZeroInfinity

Smash Rookie
Mega Man: Zero, from the Zero subseries, not only because of different weaponry, but because I'm kinda tired of seeing X Zero in every fighting game being OP all the time lol
Megaman: Zero from teh GBA game series. it even had a compilation release for teh ds that I STILL play alot ^^ Plus his many weapons lead to great move set potential.
Are you serious? NEWS FLASH: Mega Man X Zero uses different weapons too. And MMZ Zero has appeared in the same amount of fighting games as MMX Zero, so you really have no reason to complain. And you can't tell me that MMX Zero doesn't have great moveset potential, after all, I MADE AN ENTIRE POST ABOUT IT. That I'm sure no one saw...
And MMX Zero is just better :3

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Think back to the first Smash. Who should make it? Mario, Luigi, DK, Link, Samus, Pikachu...all super famous or groundbreaking. Or just overall popular.
No. :falcon64::ness64::jigglypuff64:
*not to distract from the other 75 percent of the roster, but these three are not in that categorization.
When are they equal? Fire Pokemon are given the most love in the series (regarding the frequency of being given the best designs), and as far as Zelda goes, the Water dungeon is always the most elaborate and time consuming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom