• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
This would be unlikely, but what if we got Venusaur and Blastoise as newcomers to celebrate Pokémon's upcoming 20th anniversary? Venusaur could have Ivysaur's moveset from Brawl with Leech Seed as a new special attack and Mega Venusaur w/Solar Beam as its Final Smash. Blastoise could have Squirtle's moveset from Brawl with Waterfall as a new special attack and Mega Blastoise w/Hydro Cannon as its Final Smash.
It'd remove some of the purpose of the characters.
:002: and :007: were built around their size and weight as part of their playstyle.

:009: with :007:'s moveset would either be imbalanced because of having insane maneuverability(:4sheik:) with the weight and possibly power of :4bowser: or because he doesn't have the speed that the kit was built around.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This would be unlikely, but what if we got Venusaur and Blastoise as newcomers to celebrate Pokémon's upcoming 20th anniversary? Venusaur could have Ivysaur's moveset from Brawl with Leech Seed as a new special attack and Mega Venusaur w/Solar Beam as its Final Smash. Blastoise could have Squirtle's moveset from Brawl with Waterfall as a new special attack and Mega Blastoise w/Hydro Cannon as its Final Smash.
I could see Venusaur as an Ivysaur clone, but having Blastoise with Squirtle's moveset is ridiculous.
There's no way that could work at all.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't really consider the 3rd party "icon" thing a fan rule considering all we've gotten this far is gaming icons.

Listen, I know some people want 3rd parties that aren't as major. I think there are a lot of great characters out there, there's no denying that. However, simply saying, "they can still happen" is simply keeping the topic alive because "it CAN happen".

If this were a murder trial, and the evidence on the table points toward a certain person being guilty and the defense says " It COULD have been somebody else", it doesn't really work.

The difference is that this idea actually has evidence to it. Other fan rules like, "Mario has to have the most reps" or "only 3 3rd parties" or some other rule never really had anything to them. None of those ever actually had evidence to them. This one does, whether you consider what we've gotten thus far, or things Sakurai has said himself.

They can still happen.

But I'm glad unlike some others you didn't say only iconic characters can get in. You just stated the pattern.
The other's group of people are just making yet another fan-made rule.

Why can't Butt Butt/ Shantae line up to say....

:4palutena::4alph::4robinm::4shulk::4littlemac: instead?
It's because that literally goes against the idea of a 3rd party.

The idea with a 3rd party is that you're paying money to obtain rights to a character that will build massive amounts of hype. You pay money for the character because that character themself can bring in a massive influx of hype.

A character like Shantae or Shovel Knight being in Smash MONUMENTALLY helps the Indie studio, without nearly as much gain to Nintendo.

3rd parties thus far have not been meant to be lined up with Shulk or Alph of all characters. That's a silly comparison in itself. The iconic characters like Mario, Link, Pikachu, Sonic or Cloud are the selling points because they are the characters that most people know, no matter the corner of gaming they're coming from.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's because that literally goes against the idea of a 3rd party.

The idea with a 3rd party is that you're paying money to obtain rights to a character that will build massive amounts of hype. You pay money for the character because that character themself can bring in a massive influx of hype.

A character like Shantae or Shovel Knight being in Smash MONUMENTALLY helps the Indie studio, without nearly as much gain to Nintendo.

3rd parties thus far have not been meant to be lined up with Shulk or Alph of all characters. That's a silly comparison in itself. The iconic characters like Mario, Link, Pikachu, Sonic or Cloud are the selling points because they are the characters that most people know, no matter the corner of gaming they're coming from.
Sakurai has never expressed any sort of regard for profit when deciding on third-party characters.
On top of that, again, an indie dev won't be asking for nearly as much money as Square Enix would for including their character, therefore it wouldn't a major loss to Nintendo anyways.

The most money Nintendo would be investing would be in actually developing the character, and that is a risk they have taken with first-party characters too.

But let's say that Sakurai's words have a double-meaning, and he does consider Nintendo's profit when deciding on adding third-parties. Now look at the third-parties we've gotten. All iconic in their own right.

But, they are all closely tied to Nintendo. Sega released games and partnered with Nintendo around the time Sonic was added to Smash. Namco Bandai co-developed Smash 4, that was the reason Pac-Man got in. Ryu was added after Capcom already had a foot in the door. Snake was added at his creator's request.

Of the five third-parties we have, only Mega Man and Cloud were chosen out of blue solely for hype purposes. The others already had some relation with Nintendo that made licensing easier. In this case, Sakurai saying that adding them is a very special occasion in regards to their third-parties, because they're difficult to add.

Indies would not be difficult to add. Which is why, at least as DLC, they are still an option.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I see your view Scoliosis, but I still see it as a fan rule until specifically proven by Sakurai otherwise.
I'd like to see someone like Shantae so that then there is a fan rule of

"There will only be the iconic side, and the much less iconic/impactful sides. Someone middle ground won't happen cos the pattern says so and almost everyone agrees. So kinda like the Zelda timeline, but simpler." :troll:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Let's change subject a bit because things are starting to get a bit heated and in general 3rd party & indie talk tends to just feed itself in circles.

Xenoblade.
With the closest thing we have to compare to it with Nintendo is Mother/Earthbound, being an interesting respark for JRPGs when the genre was staling that got a lot of popularity after getting a character in Smash, but in any case a fanbase that's a very vocal minority campaigning for the world-wide releases of their series.

And even then there's PLENTY of differences at hand between them.

We have Xenoblade getting Mecha-Fiora as a character in Project X Zone 2, and Xenoblade X supposedly outselling its predecessor in Japan in spite of the smaller install base even though it's been largely quiet in comparison to the eruption of Splatoon in the east. Not a shocking release, but one that has been outdoing the previous title and being a series Nintendo has actually been pushing.

Xenoblade X, of course, coming in a few weeks with being one of Nintendo's more promoted games for Christmas.

A) What are thoughts of a third game coming before the next Smash title?

B) As, unlike :4ness::4lucas:, there hasn't been someone that similar to :4shulk: in gameplay for X, how likely do you all think having a second character for the series in Sma5h IF they'd be a unique newcomer instead of some level of a clone?

Edit: I ask because it's been a thing I've been very on the fence about when drafting Smash 5 rosters.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Let's change subject a bit because things are starting to get a bit heated and in general 3rd party & indie talk tends to just feed itself in circles.

Xenoblade.
With the closest thing we have to compare to it with Nintendo is Mother/Earthbound, being an interesting respark for JRPGs when the genre was staling that got a lot of popularity after getting a character in Smash, but in any case a fanbase that's a very vocal minority campaigning for the world-wide releases of their series.

And even then there's PLENTY of differences at hand between them.

We have Xenoblade getting Mecha-Fiora as a character in Project X Zone 2, and Xenoblade X supposedly outselling its predecessor in Japan in spite of the smaller install base even though it's been largely quiet in comparison to the eruption of Splatoon in the east. Not a shocking release, but one that has been outdoing the previous title and being a series Nintendo has actually been pushing.

Xenoblade X, of course, coming in a few weeks with being one of Nintendo's more promoted games for Christmas.

A) What are thoughts of a third game coming before the next Smash title?

B) As, unlike :4ness::4lucas:, there hasn't been someone that similar to :4shulk: in gameplay for X, how likely do you all think having a second character for the series in Sma5h IF they'd be a unique newcomer instead of some level of a clone?

Edit: I ask because it's been a thing I've been very on the fence about when drafting Smash 5 rosters.
A) I doubt it will happen, mostly because such hugeeee (way too big for me, so not buying) games take forever and I don't think they will start work on the next game in the series

B) I definitely think Xenoblade should have a second rep, but since imho it's far better, important and relevant than Earthbound, it should be 2 unique reps. I think Elma would be great. Depending on how much the series grows ect, I wouldn't mind more characters but I doubt we will see anyone from the series in this games DLC.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Sakurai has never expressed any sort of regard for profit when deciding on third-party characters.
On top of that, again, an indie dev won't be asking for nearly as much money as Square Enix would for including their character, therefore it wouldn't a major loss to Nintendo anyways.

The most money Nintendo would be investing would be in actually developing the character, and that is a risk they have taken with first-party characters too.

But let's say that Sakurai's words have a double-meaning, and he does consider Nintendo's profit when deciding on adding third-parties. Now look at the third-parties we've gotten. All iconic in their own right.

But, they are all closely tied to Nintendo. Sega released games and partnered with Nintendo around the time Sonic was added to Smash. Namco Bandai co-developed Smash 4, that was the reason Pac-Man got in. Ryu was added after Capcom already had a foot in the door. Snake was added at his creator's request.

Of the five third-parties we have, only Mega Man and Cloud were chosen out of blue solely for hype purposes. The others already had some relation with Nintendo that made licensing easier. In this case, Sakurai saying that adding them is a very special occasion in regards to their third-parties, because they're difficult to add.

Indies would not be difficult to add. Which is why, at least as DLC, they are still an option.
Just trying to say this: of all of the Smash series 3rd party reps Mega Man has THE MOST relevancy to Nintendo dude.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I dunno why folk are thinking development's gonna continue into the new year outside of maintenance and/or balance tweaks. Sakurai's ready to drop this like a bad habit, and the ballot results/Cloud/final Dec. update would be just the ticket out. I figure Dec. is our last big content update then it's time for the skeleton crew.
Oh, I think we will see content at e3. I just think it will be done months ahead and was held off.

But I also see every, reason to suggest Sakurai really tried to make this 14 months of added development count for something- rather than 2 unnecessary veterans, one amazing one, a few cool parties, and a horrendous tournament mode.

(I'm not gonna respond to any ones opinion on this if they do not understand the literary mechanism called litote.)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Just trying to say this: of all of the Smash series 3rd party reps Mega Man has THE MOST relevancy to Nintendo dude.
I don't agree. Sonic does.
Sega's rivalry turned partnership with Nintendo is a huge part of both companies.

Mega Man might have the most history with Nintendo of all the third-parties, but Capcom didn't have any sort of stake in Smash Bros. before Mega Man was added. That's the difference.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I see your view Scoliosis, but I still see it as a fan rule until specifically proven by Sakurai otherwise.
I'd like to see someone like Shantae so that then there is a fan rule of

"There will only be the iconic side, and the much less iconic/impactful sides. Someone middle ground won't happen cos the pattern says so and almost everyone agrees. So kinda like the Zelda timeline, but simpler." :troll:
Maybe I'll change my view a little bit.

While I will continue to defend my stance, I could see an Indie character in FUTURE Smash titles, but I don't think it will happen now. For example, I COULD see Shovel Knight somewhere down the line, but he and any other Indie will likely have to develop as a series/icon.

I'm not sure that I agree with the relationship to Nintendo thing. The characters themselves have been added as more of a gaming relevancy thing imo. Ryu may have started on Nintendo, but he's hardly been as large of a presence on Nintendo console in the last decade or so besides virtual console releases.

I would go on, but I think we both know where the other is coming from, and that's fine with me.
---
Anyway, lets say hypothetically that K.Rool and Inklings are ruled out because they were made into costumes. We get to the December direct and get an Isaac costume. Who do we get?

While I will continue to defend my stance, I could see an Indie character in FUTURE Smash titles, but I don't think it will happen now. For example, I COULD see Shovel Knight somewhere down the line, but he and any other Indie will likely have to develop as a series/icon.

I'm not sure that I agree with the relationship to Nintendo thing. The characters themselves have been added as more of a gaming relevancy thing imo. Ryu may have started on Nintendo, but he's hardly been as large of a presence on Nintendo console in the last decade or so besides virtual console releases.

I would go on, but I think we both know where the other is coming from, and that's fine with me.
---
Anyway, lets say hypothetically that K.Rool and Inklings are ruled out because they were made into costumes. We get to the December direct and get an Isaac costume. Who do we get?
Discounting veterans? Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong and either Captain Toad or Paper Mario would be the most likely ones imo.

SamuXCI

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamuXCI
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

---
Banjo-Kazooie :smash:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I don't believe in predictions but I can get behind this.

(this list is barring veterans and third parties)

With KKR, Inklings and Isaac gone you're left with characters that aren't as focused on in speculation because this supposed "DLC Big Three" has been hypothetically shot down. B-listers and below, if you will.

Characters like Krystal, Paper Mario, Bandanna Dee, Impa and Dixie Kong are commmonly cited after these speculation juggernauts(from what I've seen). And after them, you really dive into territory that is arguably niche.

By niche, I mean series that have obstacles such as characters not being focused on lately, having viable but otherwise obscure characters, having been given really good treatment(i.e Fire Emblem) or being, well, niche series.

Characters I think fall into this category(nothing personal to fans of these next choices) are the likes of Wonder Red, Mecha-Fiora, a Rhythm Heaven character, Sylux and who knows how many others. These are merely examples at the top of my head. So that gives an ample list of possibilities regardless.

As for the ones actually picked...well, I don't do that since we don't know how many characters are left and what the criteria is. We don't even know if Cloud is pre-ballot, to boot.

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
A) I doubt it will happen, mostly because such hugeeee (way too big for me, so not buying) games take forever and I don't think they will start work on the next game in the series

B) I definitely think Xenoblade should have a second rep, but since imho it's far better, important and relevant than Earthbound, it should be 2 unique reps. I think Elma would be great. Depending on how much the series grows ect, I wouldn't mind more characters but I doubt we will see anyone from the series in this games DLC.
I could see that happening in Smash 5 but not now. :4shulk: is what represents Xenoblade Chronicles and does it quite well.
1. Nintendo and Sega were rivals back in the 90's
2. Sonic starting being on Nintendo consoles back in the Gamecube era. He was even considered to be in Melee.
3. Sega developers helped with F-zero development.
4. Sonic and Mario have the Olympic games.
5. Sonic appeared in both Brawl and Smash 4.

While :4megaman: has been with Nintendo longer than anyone else, he's just been there on Nintendo platforms. Same with :4ryu:.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
A third-party newcomer.

Honestly though, only King K. Rool seems like he was ruled out.

The Inkling costumes was primarily a pre-order bonus for Splatoon. It was added before the game came out. Inklings have exploded in popularity since Splatoon is a massive hit.
King K. Rool has a small but very vocal fanbase with hardcore Smash fans, but his demand doesn't really extend outside of it. Also, the costume was conspicuously added to the game...months after the Ballot opened.

It really does seem like the latter is a consolation prize.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I don't agree. Sonic does.
Sega's rivalry turned partnership with Nintendo is a huge part of both companies.

Mega Man might have the most history with Nintendo of all the third-parties, but Capcom didn't have any sort of stake in Smash Bros. before Mega Man was added. That's the difference.
Mega Man might as well be a Nintendo character.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
A third-party newcomer.

Honestly though, only King K. Rool seems like he was ruled out.

The Inkling costumes was primarily a pre-order bonus for Splatoon. It was added before the game came out. Inklings have exploded in popularity since Splatoon is a massive hit.
King K. Rool has a small but very vocal fanbase with hardcore Smash fans, but his demand doesn't really extend outside of it. Also, the costume was conspicuously added to the game...months after the Ballot opened.

It really does seem like the latter is a consolation prize.
Problem with that idea, though; the K.Rool costume is explicitly advertised as a "retro" costume, not anything relating to the Ballot. Otherwise, it'd be more like "Here's some of the characters from the Ballot, have fun!", not "Dress up as some of your favourite retro characters with the new Mii costumes!".

And small is a heavy understatement, considering Retro Studios is well and behind K.Rool getting in Smash and considering K.Rool's thread was the largest support thread on the boards by the time it had to be closed. The Inklings are popular, yes, but Sakurai doesn't just look at popularity to see what he wants in Smash. If he did, our newcomers would be Goku, Geno, Master Chief, Shadow, Shrek and Reckless Wiimote Safety Guy among others.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Problem with that idea, though; the K.Rool costume is explicitly advertised as a "retro" costume, not anything relating to the Ballot. Otherwise, it'd be more like "Here's some of the characters from the Ballot, have fun!", not "Dress up as some of your favourite retro characters with the new Mii costumes!".
What difference does that make? King K. Rool is a retro character. A costume of him is a retro costume.
Also, Nintendo isn't stupid. They're not going to blatantly say a character won't be DLC. They wouldn't advertise it as such.
And small is a heavy understatement, considering Retro Studios is well and behind K.Rool getting in Smash and considering K.Rool's thread was the largest support thread on the boards
Key word, "the boards". What about outside the boards? We're a very small percentage of the people who play Smash Bros.
The Inklings are popular, yes, but Sakurai doesn't just look at popularity to see what he wants in Smash. If he did, our newcomers would be Goku, Geno, Master Chief, Shadow, Shrek and Reckless Wiimote Safety Guy among others.
I think it's hilarious you're comparing an anime character, a film character, an obscure one-off Mario character, Shadow, a Microsoft character, and a graphic at the beginning of Wii games, to a successful new IP made by Nintendo.

On top of that, Inklings are popular in and out of the Smash community. Most other high-request characters aren't. They are also inkredibly unique. For DLC, where you have to sell because people have to buy you, what is the best choice?

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Y'know who else is a Retro character?

ok maybe not THAT retro but still

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is coming from a big K. Rool supporter but I think it is a strong possibility he might not be in, do I still believe he'll be in 100% and do I support him 100% always! But it wouldn't surprise me if he dosen't get I know one day I hope I can main him and I'm sure that can still happen down the road. As for Ridley, Shantae, and Shovel Knight Mii costumes I'd love that! If it's the closest thing to actually having them in the game sure why not.

I wish the Shovel Knight thing was true as I adore the character and his game, but he's deconfirmed and the rumor dead so I could see this being the case, with a Mii costume.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
No. None of the legal amount of work for Goku has been done.
It sure has.

Before Bamco could even start developing a licensed game with Goku in it, reciprocal NDAs would have to first be signed that remain binding between the two companies for years and very likely cover all interactions between Bamco and Toei/Toriama.

But beyond even the legal precedent, once the license to produce games, movies, etc. based on a certain character or franchise has been acquired, it's generally difficult to pry it away from that developer unless the licensing agreement was extremely liberal.

For example, look at the recent debacle where Sony had the rights to Spider Man and Marvel needed to wait until that licensing contract ended before they could make any other Spider Man movies.

But putting licensing battles aside as well, it's even less common to pull the license away from a developer if they were doing a good job with it, and I've not heard any complaints about Bamco's work on the DBZ games.

Again, the same company who holds Goku's license making SSB only helps his chances, but this is considering the situations we know and outside of those Sakurai may hate the hell out of DBZ for his own reasons.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It sure has.

Before Bamco could even start developing a licensed game with Goku in it, reciprocal NDAs would have to first be signed that remain binding between the two companies for years and very likely cover all interactions between Bamco and Toei/Toriama.

But beyond even the legal precedent, once the license to produce games, movies, etc. based on a certain character or franchise has been acquired, it's generally difficult to pry it away from that developer unless the licensing agreement was extremely liberal.

For example, look at the recent debacle where Sony had the rights to Spider Man and Marvel needed to wait until that licensing contract ended before they could make any other Spider Man movies.

But putting licensing battles aside as well, it's even less common to pull the license away from a developer if they were doing a good job with it, and I've not heard any complaints about Bamco's work on the DBZ games.

Again, the same company who holds Goku's license making SSB only helps his chances, but this is considering the situations we know and outside of those Sakurai may hate the hell out of DBZ for his own reasons.
Sakurai has set his criteria for 3rd parties. One part of the criteria is that they have to originate from a video game. Goku does not fit that, therefore he isn't eligible for Smash.

At that point it doesn't even matter who owns what. Even if Namco wanted to give Nintendo the rights to DBZ, the original owning company would have to give the ok. You can't just do whatever you want with another companies property. That's why Sakurai has to make the characters agreeable with how they're represented in Smash.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
If Sakurai said that the rest of the DLC would be fanservice, then does that mean unpopular characters like Pichu would be out of the question? What exactly does Sakurai mean when he says "fanservice"?

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
The rest of the DLC will probably just be Snake/Wolf and 3 newcomers. We may even get Ice climbers and Pichu because of all the melee characters coming back. Cause we have to remember that this could be that Smash bros. So he will want to end the DLC service with a bang.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Yo, that pic is tiny

What if.......there was a RIDLEY MII COSTUME? :D
Then we'd have something more in character than the ☢☢☢☢ing pinata

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I hope that Sakurai doesn't just look at the top choices in the ballot. I want him to look farther down the list when considering characters. It would be boring if we only got characters that everyone expects and characters that lack potentially unique movesets.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
If Sakurai said that the rest of the DLC would be fanservice, then does that mean unpopular characters like Pichu would be out of the question? What exactly does Sakurai mean when he says "fanservice"?
Well, judging by the characters we got so far: Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and Cloud, we probably are going to get either iconic characters or popularly requested characters from this point onward. Sakurai would risk alienating his consumer base if he were to add an obscure character. It wouldn't be fanservice if Sakurai added a character only five people wanted. Keep in mind that while hardly anyone voted for Cloud or Ryu, it was mostly because people didn't expect them to get in, and not because they weren't iconic or popular.

I hope that Sakurai doesn't just look at the top choices in the ballot. I want him to look farther down the list when considering characters. It would be boring if we only got characters that everyone expects and characters that lack potentially unique movesets.
Lol, I hope so too. The only popular character I want is Dixie. None of the other popular candidates interests me in any way, shape or form. However, as much as I would like someone completely left field, like Fiora or Sceptile, those characters aren't commonly asked for, and I doubt they would sell as much as like say KKR or Wolf. Honestly, I'm fine with that. Smash wasn't made just for us two, you know. It was made for Nintendo fans in general. With DLC, Sakurai has to follow what the crowd says, more or less. He can pick and choose from the popular choices, but in the end, he's probably going to choose a popular character, and not an obscure one. That's just how it goes. :p

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Sakurai has set his criteria for 3rd parties. One part of the criteria is that they have to originate from a video game. Goku does not fit that, therefore he isn't eligible for Smash.
He also said Animal Crossing was too peaceful to ever field a rep for SSB. :p

If you go back in the thread, you'll see that we're discussing "what if" he broke this rule. I don't expect him to, but then again, we didn't expect Cloud either (though Cloud at least meets the criteria).

And I frankly hope they NEVER start including non-VG characters because it just opens the door to too much insanity.

At that point it doesn't even matter who owns what. Even if Namco wanted to give Nintendo the rights to DBZ, the original owning company would have to give the ok.
I think it's safe to assume I'm talking about a joint agreement between Nintendo and Toei, given how I spent most of that post talking about how the working relationship of Bamco and Toei seems to be a good one.

We're not talking about Sakurai stealing Goku or anything, no.

Sakurai is a troll, but he's not THAT much of a troll... :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If it dosen't happen now, one day a director weather it be Masahiro Sakurai or some other director. Someone will see how King K. Rool, Ridley, ECT have been wanted in since Melee and see how their dream characters wanted for a long time and he or she will put them in, down the road.

Morbi

Scavenger
I do not buy into that, Sakurai, or another developer for that matter, can make any given character interesting and unique. Albeit, sometimes they are given less to work with. Not only that, but the notion of "potentially unique move-sets" is subjective in the first place. Personally (and at the moment, of course), I believe that Cloud has one of the most interesting move-sets; however, I have seen many others generalize that he was "just another swordsman" or that he will play like some Shulk/Ike hybrid.

I do agree that it would be boring if we only got characters that everyone expected. Let me ask you this, though... When was the last time we got a majority of characters that were expected? Sakurai is infamous for his surprises. If I recall, we got a notable one not two weeks ago. Prior to that, we got Ryu even. Without the code to imply his inclusion, no one in their right mind would have advocated for this legendary character. Hell, even with the code, not everyone was convinced.

If you honestly believe that the remaining characters will be the super obvious characters that get thrown around here on Smashboards and other speculation corners, all I can tell you is that you are in for a pleasant surprise. Guaranteed.

N64's Our Boy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thetavictor
3DS FC
4296-3524-1920
I'm hoping the free addition of the Duck Hunt stage to the 3DS version was a precursor to more cross-platform porting. Would love to see 3DS stages like Prism Tower, Balloon Fight, Magicant, Mute City, and even returning stages like Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Corneria and Brinstar on the Wii U version (possibly even in HD glory).
I would like Yoshi's Island (Brawl) to be on WiiU that stage looks really nice but they already have 2 Yoshi stages in WiiU though.

Burruni

Smash Hero
"It'd suck if for the thing where Smash fans more or less vote for the characters they want most in Smash and explain why, that... like... people who actually got voted for the most got in."

I'm sick of this sudden mentality. Especially since the last thing to an "expected" character who wasn't leaked was :4lucas: whose tagline was "Comes out of Nowhere."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom