• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
You know I do think Bayonetta could work.
Yeah, she's pretty easy to think out, for guns she always shoots in the heart shape and she doesn't need to loose her clothes for summons and she doesn't need to swear, all she needs is some fancy moves and some cheeky personality.

Her is a dodge that slows down everyone for quarter the time a timer would
All her Smash attacks are Wicked Weaves which are powerful and long range but they they take a long time to charge.

Whoops. Sorry. I was meaning to quote DustyPumpkin DustyPumpkin 's post.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I agree I mean if Snake could work then why not her?
Snake's a different beast to Bayonetta.
Guy that sneaks about using whatever weapons he can get his hands on as well as CQC against the woman that is very sexually provocative and beyond violent at times.
It's so much easier to tone down the former because the point of the earlier MGS games was that you had to find your weapons on site as opposed to buying and making them from MGS4 onwards and explosives are important in defeating the titular Metal Gears as well as working well for traps.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
ooo so nice to see some Bayonetta love here!

But I don't think she is the most likely, I think Rayman & Snake are the only 2 that are more likley, with Snake not much higher than Bayo - I think both are unlikely but Bayonetta slightly less likely.

I believe Shantae is at a very very similar level to Bayo.
Snake's a different beast to Bayonetta.
Guy that sneaks about using whatever weapons he can get his hands on as well as CQC against the woman that is very sexually provocative and beyond violent at times.
It's so much easier to tone down the former because the point of the earlier MGS games was that you had to find your weapons on site as opposed to buying and making them from MGS4 onwards and explosives are important in defeating the titular Metal Gears as well as working well for traps.
There's much more to Bayo than just her suggestive nature and violence. The extremness comes mostly from her demons...but then again she did use a chainsaw to cut in half a angel-enemy in B1 for a torture attack so I digress.

I don't believe it will be hard to tone her done e.g no stripping, bullets as sound/visual effects to punches/kicks. Heck, it would probably be easier to make a slightly toned down version of her anyways.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Has there ever been a correlation between eshop releases and a smash bros DLC character?

More then likely means nothing, but some Ninja Gaiden games went up recently on the eshop.

It's straw grasping at it's finest, but figure it wpuld be worth mentioning with the lack pf any real news or leaks.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Has there ever been a correlation between eshop releases and a smash bros DLC character?

More then likely means nothing, but some Ninja Gaiden games went up recently on the eshop.

It's straw grasping at it's finest, but figure it wpuld be worth mentioning with the lack pf any real news or leaks.
As far as I can remember the Peah was out for Super Mario World, Toon Link Came out for Wind WakerHD and maybe Olimar came for Pikmin 3?

Burruni

Smash Hero

There's only time eshop and Smash characters have been brought together as a "prediction" or "leak"
And that's when Wario got leaked.

Ok, so Cloud's been known for about 1.5 weeks now.
There are 2 slots left, and it's most likely ALL we're getting.
We can't even think to grasp for less popular characters anymore.
There's a small list of who's most likely, and that's probably who's in.
Minus Isaac. I don't think this is his time anymore after Cloud's reveal.

So who do you think those top two are? Be honest, no bias.
My prediction is two of these three: Wolf, King K. Rool, Inkling.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Honestly? Okay, King K. Rool, Bandana Dee, and Shantae. If we get more slots, Wolf, and Banjo.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Hmmm, so with DLC so far, we've had 3 veterans and 2 new comers. If there are 2 left, I would think for sure 1 new comer and either a Veteran or another new comer... I simply guess as follows:

2 New comers: King K. Rool and Inklings .... maybe Isaac? He was an assist trophy last game.

1 New and 1 Veteran: King K. Rool and Wolf

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm gonna be honest: I think people expecting characters like K. Rool or Isaac at this point are going to be left disappointed.

The thing is, when you look at Cloud and Ryu, our two known DLC newcomers, they're both characters recognizable, mainstream and iconic enough to sell on their own. My point is, characters like Palutena, Robin, Shulk and so on work as newcomers for Smash 4's base roster but I really, really doubt they'd be DLC if they weren't there initially. That's how I feel with characters like Dixie, K. Rool, Isaac, etc.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So, from what I could find there are only three limits to a third-party character:

These are:yin

1. Must have originated from a video game (Video Game character)

2. Must be well known by the general audience (Iconic)

3. Cannot use realistic firearms (Semi-cartoonish)

Also they didn't have to have been on a Nintendo console, so as long as they fit these guidelines they're eligible for Smash Bros.
Plus the general 4 states about all characters.

I'm gonna be honest: I think people expecting characters like K. Rool or Isaac at this point are going to be left disappointed.

The thing is, when you look at Cloud and Ryu, our two known DLC newcomers, they're both characters recognizable, mainstream and iconic enough to sell on their own. My point is, characters like Palutena, Robin, Shulk and so on work as newcomers for Smash 4's base roster but I really, really doubt they'd be DLC if they weren't there initially. That's how I feel with characters like Dixie, K. Rool, Isaac, etc.
Do you view any Nintendo owned character as feasible?

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

Gee, I didn't know Lucas and Roy were well known and popular among the public.
:rolleyes:
Veteran or not, Lucas and Roy are extremely obscure characters that were sold as DLC.
(To be fair, though, I can see your point with Issac, but I disagree with you on the likes of Dixie and, to an extent, K. Rool.)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Plus the general 4 states about all characters.

Well actually there are different guidelines for Nintendo characters, notice how we have :4mario:,:4tlink: and :4kirby:, but we also have :4shulk:,:4robinm: and :4darkpit:. The first three are uber iconic, while the last three are hardly known. Therefore any Nintendo character can be in the game.

Morbi

Scavenger
Veteran or not, Lucas and Roy are extremely obscure characters that were sold as DLC.
(To be fair, though, I can see your point with Issac, but I disagree with you on the likes of Dixie and, to an extent, K. Rool.)
Their mere presence in past Smash Brothers games bolstered their demand (and by extension popularity) especially in regard to subsequent Smash titles... Believe it or not. That is more or less the reason that Captain Falcon is extremely popular among the public. Spoiler alert, it was not F-Zero that did the trick!

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
In my view the most likely characters are as follows(in no particular order):
  • Dixie
  • K Rool
  • Wolf
  • Bandanna Dee
  • Shantae
  • Rayman
  • Snake
  • Ivysuar + Squirtle
  • Inkling
  • Lara Croft
  • Impa
  • Bayonetta

Actually, those are the only ones I actually can see as happening.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Roy and Lucas are veterans, though. Not the same thing as making newcomers. They take less work and already have set foot in Smash. Sakurai seems to be thinking very big with the newcomers, hence us getting Ryu and Cloud.

Inklings, perhaps? But I get the feeling we'll be getting Snake back along with Wolf, but it's not for certain.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Their mere presence in past Smash Brothers games bolstered their demand (and by extension popularity) especially in regard to subsequent Smash titles... Believe it or not. That is more or less the reason that Captain Falcon is extremely popular among the public. Spoiler alert, it was not F-Zero that did the trick!
These two may have been popular with the Smash fanbase, but it's not like their inclusion made them instantly recognizable.
This is bolstered by the fact that Roy's and Lucas's game are still Japan exclusive.

Morbi

Scavenger

Honestly, the only character that I have a degree of surety towards is Banjo. I am fairly certain that Nintendo, or Sakurai, met with Phil Spencer after his blatant invitation just as he met with other developers. Nintendo's E3 mission statement is another reason why I expect Banjo and why, in hindsight, Cloud was not entirely unexpected. Lastly, Banjo is the most prominent Nintendo character not yet in Smash and at one point he was planned. As an artist, I am sure that Sakurai might be interested in the real character rather than an emulation/homage.

These two may have been popular with the Smash fanbase, but it's not like their inclusion made them instantly recognizable.
This is bolstered by the fact that Roy's and Lucas's game are still Japan exclusive.
I agree with that, I just believe that they are fairly popular to the Nintendo fan-base. Lucas is not just the kid from Mother 3. Lucas is a Smash character. Brawl was one of the most successful titles on the most successful platforms. He should be generally recognized despite the notion that he is not iconic. Furthermore, I believe veteran DLC is not treated as the equivalent of newcomer DLC.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306

The thing with K.Rool and Isaac though, is that they're some of the more commonly requested characters. I can understand if you were talking about not very requested characters like Zael or anything of the like, but people make such a big deal about K. Rool in pretty much every character request thread I've been to. I'm sure people would buy him, I mean he is probably the most requested Nintendo newcomer right now.

I think the only thing that's stopping him or any other popular character from getting in is whether Sakurai agrees with the character or not.

Morbi

Scavenger
The thing with K.Rool and Isaac though, is that they're some of the more commonly requested characters. I can understand if you were talking about not very requested characters like Zael or anything of the like, but people make such a big deal about K. Rool in pretty much every character request thread I've been to. I'm sure people would buy him, I mean he is probably the most requested Nintendo newcomer right now.

I think the only thing that's stopping him or any other popular character from getting in is whether Sakurai agrees with the character or not.
King K. Rool and Isaac are some of the more commonly requested characters in speculation communities. The ballot was open to everyone, not just hardcore Smash fans. Most general Nintendo fans probably could not tell you the name of Isaac DESPITE the notion that he was an assist trophy. Golden Sun, while relatively successful, hardly had an impact on gaming as a whole (which it does not need to). King K. Rool, god rest his soul, is more or less completely irrelevant to modern Nintendo. He is a gem of the past that is already in the game as a Mii Costume. That does not preclude the possibility of his inclusion, and Isaac is still a plausible candidate, but they are hardly shoo-in characters and I would not be surprised in the least if neither of them were in the final product.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Well, here's the hard truth about that: The internet only makes up an extremely small percent of the audience for Smash as a whole. What we may find "popular" like Isaac or K. Rool probably aren't so much when we consider people outside of the internet. That's what I think Sakurai was trying to accomplish with newcomers like Cloud and Ryu. Anyone into gaming will most likely know who they are due to being such large gaming icons. Someone like Isaac is really just someone who has a cult following on internet boards and probably isn't that recognizable to the general public.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
King K. Rool, god rest his soul, is more or less completely irrelevant to modern Nintendo.
You could say the EXACT SAME THING about Banjo.
I don't want to harp on Banjo fans. If anything, I would be ecstatic for his inclusion, as it would fulfill one of my lifelong dreams.
That being said, I can't help but point out this piece of hypocrisy.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
King K. Rool and Isaac are some of the more commonly requested characters in speculation communities. The ballot was open to everyone, not just hardcore Smash fans. Most general Nintendo fans probably could not tell you the name of Isaac DESPITE the notion that he was an assist trophy. Golden Sun, while relatively successful, hardly had an impact on gaming as a whole (which it does not need to). King K. Rool, god rest his soul, is more or less completely irrelevant to modern Nintendo. He is a gem of the past that is already in the game as a Mii Costume. That does not preclude the possibility of his inclusion, and Isaac is still a plausible candidate, but they are hardly shoo-in characters and I would not be surprised in the least if neither of them were in the final product.
That's interesting to think about. I myself am not voting for these characters; I'm just playing devil's advocate.

While the ballot was open to everybody, I have a feeling that the more casual players either didn't know of the ballot's existence, or simply didn't care. The only people I knew in real life who knew about the ballot were the guys at local Smash tournaments, and seeing as they're local Smash tournaments, you will find people who will no doubt know about the ballot. To be fair though, I live in a pretty small town, and I hardly know anyone who plays Smash or even video games seriously. I could be completely wrong.

Also speaking on general terms here: Are there any more iconic Nintendo characters we can add to Smash? At this point, I feel we're grasping for straws; KKR, the most wanted newcomer hasn't been relevant in years. Anyone here thinking we're just going to get third-parties and veterans at this point?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
You could say the EXACT SAME THING about Banjo.
I don't want to harp on Banjo fans. If anything, I would be ecstatic for his inclusion, as it would fulfill one of my lifelong dreams.
That being said, I can't help but point out this piece of hypocrisy.
It is not entirely hypocrisy. King K. Rool is already in the game and Donkey Kong has furthered its franchise without his presence despite the fact that they could. Banjo and Kazooie is in that state of limbo based on a third-party company buying out the developer behind the product. King K. Rool is not longer a prominent aspect of Donkey Kong whereas Banjo is still a major part of Banjo and Kazooie. He is irrelevant because there were no subsequent Banjo games. King K. Rool is irrelevant because Nintendo had no further use for him.

Just because two ideas are contradicting does not automatically make the sentiment hypocritical. Different circumstances lead to different conclusions. King K. Rool's relevance was hardly the only thing I mentioned that does not favor his inclusion.

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753

I wonder about that. I could see two-three more characters getting revealed around next E3. Wasn't there a statement about how well the currently released characters have been doing recently? I'd think they'd want to stretch it out until we're closer to NX but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

As for who I think those remaining two are? Well, the two in my sig and Snake are the only remaining characters I personally want. That said I agree with your list with the addition of Banjo-Kazooie. Of those four my ideal choice would be K. Rool and Inkling, but I'm betting on Wolf and K. Rool.

All four of them are good picks though. If it turns out I'm completely wrong then hey, even better. Love having my expectations completely destroyed. The Cloud reveal was fun in that regard.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Why do people always ignore casuals? Smash Boards and YouTube comment sections don't sum up the majority of the smash community. I'm pretty sure there are tons of casual fans that voted for Daisy, Dixie Kong, Toad, and even Goku! I honestly have my doubts that characters like Shantae or Bandanna Dee will make into the game because of this.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Also speaking on general terms here: Are there any more iconic Nintendo characters we can add to Smash? At this point, I feel we're grasping for straws; KKR, the most wanted newcomer hasn't been relevant in years. Anyone here thinking we're just going to get third-parties and veterans at this point?
Smash does target Nintendo fans. While the DLC choices picked might not be known upon non-fans, they are very well known among the Nintendo community. Talking about iconicness and relevance, Bandana Waddle Dee probably has as much as King K. Rool, more or less.

Morbi

Scavenger
That's interesting to think about. I myself am not voting for these characters; I'm just playing devil's advocate.

While the ballot was open to everybody, I have a feeling that the more casual players either didn't know of the ballot's existence, or simply didn't care. The only people I knew in real life who knew about the ballot were the guys at local Smash tournaments, and seeing as they're local Smash tournaments, you will find people who will no doubt know about the ballot. To be fair though, I live in a pretty small town, and I hardly know anyone who plays Smash or even video games seriously. I could be completely wrong.

Yes, I do believe that the remaining characters will be comprised of veterans or third-party characters. There are some notable Nintendo characters missing as playable characters; however, they are, for the most part, already in the game. Such as Toad from Mario, Meowth from Pokemon, and Bandana Dee from Kirby to name a few. They are not essential and in the case of the two former, they already have a role. I feel as though the speculation community condemns characters such as Toad or Meowth just because we do not perceive them to be likely. In the next Smash title, there is more than enough Nintendo characters to draw from, but as DLC they are not nearly as enticing when we, as the fans, are given the opportunity to vote.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I really hope the success of Splatoon encourages Nintendo to have their internal studios to develop more new franchises. As I mentioned in the past, those type of series have a much higher chance of getting in than those made by an outside studio, like Golden Sun, Wonderful 101, and such.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't know. For some reason I felt the need to post this here. Apparently Ed Boon would like to see Scorpion in smash...

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/586244135427960834

*shivers*
No thanks. Mortal Kombat is iconic, but you know why it's iconic? Because of its gore and ultra violence, which isn't gonna fly in a game like Smash for very obvious reasons. Taking away Scorpion's ability to rip a guy's head off would feel wrong. It's a big reason why nobody liked Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't know. For some reason I felt the need to post this here. Apparently Ed Boon would like to see Scorpion in smash...

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/586244135427960834

*shivers*
Ed Boon wants Scorpion in every game that he has heard about. Honestly, at this rate, I am surprised that Scorpion has not been in Soul Calibur. That being said, I want Scorpion in Smash... Really badly. Fortunately for you, and everyone else, it is doubtful that Sakurai feels the same.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Smash does target Nintendo fans. While the DLC choices picked might not be known upon non-fans, they are very well known among the Nintendo community. Talking about iconicness and relevance, Bandana Waddle Dee probably has as much as King K. Rool, more or less.
That gives me something to hope about. Cloud and Ryu's inclusions were hype and all, but I think another Nintendo new comer would be nice. Whoever is going to be that new comer is up in the air, though. Personally, I think the Inklings may have a shot due to their relevance and popularity.

Yes, I do believe that the remaining characters will be comprised of veterans or third-party characters. There are some notable Nintendo characters missing as playable characters; however, they are, for the most part, already in the game. Such as Toad from Mario, Meowth from Pokemon, and Bandana Dee from Kirby to name a few. They are not essential and in the case of the two former, they already have a role. I feel as though the speculation community condemns characters such as Toad or Meowth just because we do not perceive them to be likely. In the next Smash title, there is more than enough Nintendo characters to draw from, but as DLC they are not nearly as enticing when we, as the fans, are given the opportunity to vote.
But Lucas and Mewtwo have "roles" in the game as well, in the form of trophies. Certainly did not stop them from becoming playable. Then again, I'm not sure whether pokeballs or assist trophies are valid characters. Guess we'll wait and see!

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Hey, Morbi Morbi . I just want to say that I'm sorry for calling you a hypocrite.
I really, really want K. Rool, Rayman, Snake, and Banjo, but of course, I'm expecting none of them because... well, because I've been dissapointed before.
I just hope that Sakurai isn't handling the Rayman trophies and K. Rool Mii Costume situations like he did with the Ridley situation.
Also, can all of us agree about one thing?
December will be one hell of a ride for us and quite the sendoff for Mr. Sakurai.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Ed Boon wants Scorpion in every game that he has heard about. Honestly, at this rate, I am surprised that Scorpion has not been in Soul Calibur. That being said, I want Scorpion in Smash... Really badly. Fortunately for you, and everyone else, it is doubtful that Sakurai feels the same.
Who knows what Sakurai is thinking. Everyone doubted that Cloud would make it into the game. Look where we are now.

I'm not even going to touch on the whole gore thing since I've already covered it in the Sub-Zero support thread, but that can easily be toned down.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Hey, Morbi Morbi . I just want to say that I'm sorry for calling you a hypocrite.
I really, really want K. Rool, Rayman, Snake, and Banjo, but of course, I'm expecting none of them because... well, because I've been dissapointed before.
I just hope that Sakurai isn't handling the Rayman trophies and K. Rool Mii Costume situations like he did with the Ridley situation.
Also, can all of us agree about one thing?
December will be one hell of a ride for us and quite the sendoff for Mr. Sakurai.
No problem at all. It WOULD be hypocritical of me if I was offended. I am a fairly sassy individual. I certainly agree though, December, I never really thought that these characters could very well be Sakurai's last. Everything is coming to an end.

That gives me something to hope about. Cloud and Ryu's inclusions were hype and all, but I think another Nintendo new comer would be nice. Whoever is going to be that new comer is up in the air, though. Personally, I think the Inklings may have a shot due to their relevance and popularity.

But Lucas and Mewtwo have "roles" in the game as well, in the form of trophies. Certainly did not stop them from becoming playable. Then again, I'm not sure whether pokeballs or assist trophies are valid characters. Guess we'll wait and see!
Right, I just believe that that is the reason that most people ignore those characters. That being said, they are more or less correct. They have not made it into Smash yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom