• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Because I don't support any indies. I want Nintendo characters in the Nintendo showcase game. Yeah, Shantae has been on Nintendo consoles for forever, but that doesn't mean I think she's a good option.
The game will always be mostly Nintendo, by far. I mean, currently it's only 4 / 55 that are 3rd part. >.>

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I asked this question in the old thread though I don't think anyone answered.

Which DLC reveal trailer did you like the best? I was mostly happy to see Roy personally though I got to admit that Lucas has the best reveal trailer so far due to how suprising, hype, and happy it was. IMO...

Lucas > Roy > Mewtwo > Ryu

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Favourite DLC reveal trailers?
I like all of them - They're all great. (Basically they're all favourites of mine)

Last edited:

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
They've been maintaining online and the eShop a lot. Do you folks think this 24 hour eShop maintenance indicates some major announcements are around the corner?

Troykv

Smash Master

Which DLC reveal trailer did you like the best? I was mostly happy to see Roy personally though I got to admit that Lucas has the best reveal trailer so far due to how suprising, hype, and happy it was. IMO...

Is hard answer this... I was hyped with every trailer XDU

It might be a bit late to post predictions, but here's what I think will happen.

6 characters: Wolf, King K. Rool, Inkling, Isaac, Banjo-Kazooie and either an indie or Waddle Dee
4 stages at the least: Gangplank Galleon, Inkopolis (regardless of Inkling inclusion), Venus Lighthouse, and Mumbo's Mountain

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice

Roy>Lucas>Ryu>Mewtwo

I think the Mewtwo trailer was so dumb. Psystrike and Mega Mewtwo Y was so predictable and everything looked the same as melee, but worse. I don't know why people hyped for that.
In other hand, I liked Roy's trailer because the way he was "revamped" looked so good.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
How would you feel if a low- requested but unique character became DLC. For veterans it would be Ivysuar or Squirtle, while for newcomers it could go for many characters, like Impa, Medusa, Krystal or Magolor.

I feel it would be a great surprise. Especially if Medusa got in. #tottallynotbias

Mewtwo > Ryu > Roy > Lucas ....the sad music at the start with Ness seen everywhere made it way too obvious and ruined it for me. Also, it's in general less exciting to see veterans with similar play styles as other fighters than unique fighters or newcomers. Roy + Lucas were not on my want list, either.
They've been maintaining online and the eShop a lot. Do you folks think this 24 hour eShop maintenance indicates some major announcements are around the corner?
Pretty sure they had a longer one earlier and nothing came out of it - tho I could be wrong. But yes, it is a hint Direct could be close...

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
How would you feel if a low- requested but unique character became DLC. For veterans it would be Ivysuar or Squirtle, while for newcomers it could go for many characters, like Impa, Medusa, Krystal or Magolor.

I feel it would be a great surprise. Especially if Medusa got in. #tottallynotbias

Mewtwo > Ryu > Roy > Lucas ....the sad music at the start with Ness seen everywhere made it way too obvious and ruined it for me. Also, it's in general less exciting to see veterans with similar play styles as other fighters than unique fighters or newcomers. Roy + Lucas were not on my want list, either.

Pretty sure they had a longer one earlier and nothing came out of it - tho I could be wrong. But yes, it is a hint Direct could be close...
When have they had a maintenance longer than 24 hours lol? 3-4 hours, but 24? Granted, this is specifically the eShop, and I've heard the major deal is they're shifting servers on a large scale (which also makes you wonder why they need to shift servers in the first place).

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
When have they had a maintenance longer than 24 hours lol? 3-4 hours, but 24? Granted, this is specifically the eShop, and I've heard the major deal is they're shifting servers on a large scale (which also makes you wonder why they need to shift servers in the first place).
oooo. Maybe this time when everybody tries to buy the next Smash character it will actually be possible to do so without having to try for hours. :laugh:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I'd be all for it, I guess. Though, many people say Sakurai and the team wouldn't do that, because the character they picked wouldn't sell well without popularity.
I feel it would be a great surprise. Especially if Maxwell got in. #tottallynotbias
Fixed.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'd be all for it, I guess. Though, many people say Sakurai and the team wouldn't do that, because the character they picked wouldn't sell well without popularity.

Fixed.
Well, some characters would sell regardless if highly requested due to thier general popularity. *cough* Ryu * cough*. Pokemon would too as well, so Ivy + Squirt would sell.

Depends on the character. For example, while I prefer Dee, I wouldn't mind Magolor either. Does Captain Toad count as one? He would be awesome as well. And Gengar would be a great surprise.

But if it's, for example, another FE character..... I would be very disappointed.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKipMCHyM2c

Hey guys... made a DLC video on K Rool. Since there's no longer a K Rool thread this is the only place to really post it. I tried making it a purely objective video. Any criticisms or love is appreciated :)

Also, I know news is around the corner. But I've been bored over here in Japan >_<

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKipMCHyM2c

Hey guys... made a DLC video on K Rool. Since there's no longer a K Rool thread this is the only place to really post it. I tried making it a purely objective video. Any criticisms or love is appreciated :)

Also, I know news is around the corner. But I've been bored over here in Japan >_<
There is a K. Rool thread... in oni's All Character Support Group: http://smashboards.com/threads/k-rools-kremling-kutthroats-evikted-to-a-new-crocodile-isle.421769/

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh.. what a strange world we live in, close a section to open another section. O_O Anyways thanks!
The difference is that its a social forum. The main forum was shut down, but social forums can be opened up by more people (I THINK anyone can make it, but there may be some restrictions?)

Oh, and the social forum already existed. It was created because characters already in the game in some form (as more than a trophy) were banned from having threads in the main character discussion. Once the whole character discussion boards closed, it was opened up to all characters.

Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen - Well obviously yes, but you get what I mean. Not like a Smash Bros. where you knock your opponents off the map, but you're knights/tacticians/clerics etc. using medieval tournament standards.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
For the DLC Trailers, I'd have to say...

Ryu > Lucas > Mewtwo > Roy

Even though Lucas and Roy have become my two of my favorite characters, I can't deny that it was nice that Ryu got something closer to an actual character trailer, similar to the newcomers in the base roster. Even if it wasn't as long, and was just recreating the opening to Street Fighter 2, at least it was something. I know everyone else are veterans so it wouldn't make much sense for them to have big character reveal videos, but it's still lackluster. As for Lucas, I put him above the other two simply because I missed him the most out of any other character from the previous games.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind getting a lesser-known/expected character or two as long as they're well designed and fun to play as. (I imagine it would be someone retro.) Obviously, there are a few characters I want that take major priority, though, such as Isaac and K.Rool.

The Jiggernaut

Smash Cadet
How I responded to each DLC character being revealed:
Mewtwo > Lucas > Roy > Ryu

How I feel about each of the DLC characters now:
Roy > Lucas > Mewtwo > Ryu

Yeah I never really cared for Ryu. He isn't my cup of tea. I thought that I wouldn't like Roy, but I really enjoy his playstyle now. :D

Troykv

Smash Master
All the Fire Emblem Representation talks makes me wrote this.

Fire Emblem Representation in Smash Ballot?

This is (mainly) and an opinion article.

Hello people, I’m Troykv, an user from SmashBoards..

I’m here to talk about something that many people either ignore or is against: the Fire Emblem’s presence in the Smash Ballot.

Maybe you ask: “Why is this exactly?” Very simple: The Representation.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U is perhaps the game of the franchise that has benefited this franchise the most, mainly for things like a lot more trophies compared with the last entry (the 3DS version get the new ones, in the Wii U version the trophies are pretty much the same), two new stages (one for each version), being one of the few franchises that got new original characters (alongside Mario, Kid Icarus and Pokémon), and also get two extra characters for special reasons; Lucina (the most popular character in Awakening and one the most popular in the whole franchise) formerly was a Marth’s Custom and Roy (one of the Melee veterans) got massive support (Mostly in Japan).

It might seem that Fire Emblem has received a lot of things and looks bizarre that the number of characters is the same as Zelda. But actually this “special treatment” can be explained.

Fire Emblem has a lot of characters that are the main ones, unlike other franchises, FE doesn’t have an actual “main character” or a main group of characters, we can find many characters with their own personalities and abilities.

1. Fire Emblem was “lucky” to get two clones for convenient reasons: Roy is like the other Melee clones, characters planned with intention to expand the game’s roster; and Lucina is practically an effortless “free dessert”. The series has technically 3.5 original characters (the “.5” are Roy’s and Lucina’s differences).

Also, Fire Emblem gets representation in a very specific way: the new character for game and the clones. Otherwise the franchise has a similar (or even in some cases, inferior) representation. For example, Zelda has in the CSS the same characters that Fire Emblem, but, unlike the latter, Zelda’s clones are particularly special (Ganondorf and Toon Link not only are the Melee Clones with more differences in the moveset, but also the ones with more differences in the aesthetics… Just look how different is the Toon Link’s model compared with the Regular Link’s), and also, Zelda get a lot of side content (specially in this game), with 4 Assist Trophy (Tingle, Skull Kid, Midna and Ghirahim), and 8 Items (5 of them are new inclusions from Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U) and the biggest variety in the Stage’s Selections (A Castle, a Temple, a Bridge at Twilight, a Pirate Ship, a Sky Town and a Train).

Fire Emblem isn’t exactly “over-represented” is more like “represent in a weird way”. Many franchises has a specific “thing” that they can represent. Fire Emblem is one of the few franchises that is mostly focused in it’s characters and whatever to do with them (and they are many).

Now that I already explained the Fire Emblem situation with the representation, I will explain the chances for all the viable characters that could appear in the game as Smash Ballot’s options based in some special guidelines that Sakurai’s himself gave.

1. The Character must display personality in their game.

2. It’s important to have something only that character can do.

3. Potential development issues, and game balance is also taken into some consideration.

4. Distribution among the franchises is also taken into consideration.

Surely you’re thinking: “Oh! But Fire Emblem already has better representation than many other series. If you add another character would destroy the distribution’s balance”.

Again I refer to what I mentioned earlier and I'll also add… This can or can't be true depending on how much importance is given to the clone’s presence (usually I only count Roy because he is a Semi-Clone, Lucina is a free character practically). Otherwise, I will not mention the fourth criteria because it would be the same comments apply to every character; also, this criteria depends (in some extent) of personal ideas of “representation” and distribution.

In addition I will also mention other special guidelines based on popularity and other aspects that have to be mentioned (as possible “advantages and disadvantages” in their creation as playable characters).

Fire Emblem characters aren’t especially popular characters in the Smash Ballot (with a few exceptions that have descent support), but I want to explain it all the circumstances that could make or not more likeable one of these characters. In the end I will put a “Ranking” with the best chances in my opinion. If you want you can do your own ranking based on your ideas and expectations.

Now with all that said, I'll start with the second part of the article.

Discounting the Fire Emblem Characters already in Smash (and Chrom, because he was deconfirmed for actually explained reasons), we have as main characters and other recurring characters these ones:

Tiki (from Akanea’s Games)

Anna (the general cameo character)

Alm and Celica (Fire Emblem Gaiden)

Sigurd (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of Holy War)

Leif (Fire Emblem: Thraccia 776)

Lyn, Eliwood and Hector (Fire Emblem)

Eirika and Ephraim (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn)

Micaiah (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

Kamui/Corrin and Azura (Fire Emblem If/Fates)

Note: I'm sure that any possible Fire Emblem newcomer is a "front-runner" (the best ones has probably "decent" support).

Note 2: I don’t see so much reason to comment Alm and Celica’s Chances since their game is so neglected that even the Japanese themselves seem to ignore them sometimes. So I automatically assume that they are at the bottom of the ranking with a somewhat abysmal difference. I also I won’t comment about Seliph and Leif because they look like potential Marth Clones (in fact, some of his moves in their games, belongs to Marth in Smash Bros, like the Dolphin Slash)

Note 3: “The Character must display personality in their game.” This Sakurai’s guideline it’is difficult for me to explain properly, because the perception of a character’s personality touches points too subjective. You can put your own opinions about this aspect.

General Pros and Cons (Applies with almost every character here):

Pros

Sakurai is a big Fire Emblem fan, this makes easier to him create fun and interesting moveset, because he has a bigger connection with this games.

Cons

Any of these characters has a particularly great Support (mainly because Robin and Roy are already in the game).

Any of these characters are great icons in the Nintendo Games (but many of the most recognizable Nintendo Characters are already in the game).

Any of these characters has a likeable future (with Anna and maybe Tiki as the only exceptions).

The majority of these character has Awakening DLC and their most recent game (except Anna and Tiki again; the Fates characters too for obvious reasons).

Tiki

What can she offer exactly?

The Manaketse are a recurrent aspect in Fire Emblem franchise. She can use powers related with her Manakete form, like flames, flame orbs attacks (like the one that uses in Awakening) and other dragon-like attacks. The manakete form could be used as a summon or as an actual transformation during her attacks.

Pros

She is the playable character with the most apparences storywise in the series: Three (Five if you count the Remakes, Six if you count Genei Ibun Roku #FE), this make her one of the few Fire Emblem characters that actually has “likeable future” in the series.

She is a fan favorite, one of the most popular characters in the overall series, even was capable to get a good place in the Awakening’s Popularity Contest.

She isn’t a sword-user.

She is a female character… this always is an advantage.

Cons

Her Ballot Support was Small.

Possible issues with transformations (it depends on how exactly this works).

She could over with other dragon-like characters (Bowser/Charizard) in some moves.

The Awakening version Tiki could have a design too “sexy” for the game, because she has a big a noticeable cleavage and use garter straps (in the 3DS Trophy model isn’t really notable any of these aspects).

The Akanea/Ylisse games already has 2 characters (3 if you count Lucina)

Chances: Possible, but don’t really in the “descent” side.

Anna

Anna is a character that has appeared the most through the franchise (Except for Gaiden) with many different uses in the series, the most usually is as a merchant but also appears as a cameo, a guide, etc.. She is mysterious and loves money (Apparently there are lots of Annas which explains all her appareances in the franchise).

Anna is portrayed in many ways, that include using weapons out of nowhere. It’s probably the most open character to use different things.

Pros

Anna is the only Fire Emblem Character that has a confirmed future, she’s a character that will mostly come back in some way.

She has the biggest variety to use as weapons and other things.

Anna has probably the biggest Smash Ballot Support of all the Fire Emblem characters in Western Sites.

She is a female character.

Cons

It could be difficult to find a focus for her character.

She lacks relevance in the game’s story (is an optional character in Awakening and Fates).

Chances: Descent.

Sigurd

What can he offer exactly?

Two things, a horse-riding and a spear-user (at least in some moves).

Pros

He represented one of the greatest moments in the Fire Emblem’s Story, the SNES games and Genealogy of Holy War, one of the most popular Fire Emblem Games in Japan.

The Horse-Riders are common units in Fire Emblem, and like Manaketes, it isn’t already used in Smash (the same with Spears).

Cons

Possible issues with horse-riding.

Sigurd looks like an older Marth (this is make it worse what you know that Project M did a Marth’s Costume based in Sigurd).

Genealogy of Holy War is a Japan-Only Game.

His Smash Ballot Support was Small.

He is still mainly a sword-user.

Chances: Unlikely

Lyn

She is usually is described as a light and fast sword-user, a rush-down style, and she is capable to use bows too.

Pros

She is one the most popular character in the overall series (in fact, she is the First Lord that Western Fire Emblem Fans met).

She was (formerly) one of the most wanted characters in Super Smash Bros Brawl and still had a decent support in the Pre-Smash 4 Speculation.

Her Smash Ballot Support was (at least) decent between the other wanted Fire Emblem Characters.

She is a female character.

Cons

Outside of the different style, she is still a character mainly focused in swordplay.

She already has a role in the game (Assist Trophy).

Chances: Unlikely (but only because of the Assist Trophy problem).

Eliwood

Eliwood, like Sigurd is a character that use a horse (in FE6 and post-promotion in FE7) and he is both a sword and spear user.

Pros

Like Lyn, he is a well known character in the Fire Emblem series.

Like Sigurd, he a horse and spears

Cons

Eliwood is heavily overshadowed by Lyn’s and Hector’s Popularity.

He looks like a red-haired Marth or an older Roy.

He is still mainly a Sword-user.

The possible horse issues.

Chances: Unlikely.

Hector

He is a Armor Knight-like Lord and an Axe User (one of the few lords that doesn’t have as his main weapon swords). As a curious fact, many games in the franchise has “boomerang-like” axes (Hand Axes).

Pros

Hector is a popular character in the Fire Emblem Franchises.

He could perfectly be a Heavyweight character.

He isn’t a Sword-User

Cons

He is overshadowed for Lyn’s popularity

Ike already fills a similar niche in the game.

Niche Smash Support, but probably better than other characters because his high popularity.

Chances: Possible.

Eirika

Well… Only the horse.

Pros

She represent a different continent (Magvel)

The horse is (like I already explained with Sigurd and Eliwood) an unused element that is common in the Fire Emblem Games.

She is a female.

Cons

Everything else in her design looks like a character that could be a Marth clone (already her basic attack in Fire Emblem looks like the Marth’s).

She is a sword-user

She is overshadowed for Ephraim’s popularity (the other Magvel’s Lord)

Her Ballot Support is Small

If you count the horse, like with Sigurd and Ephraim, this could have issues.

Chances: Unlikely

Ephraim

A complete Spear-User Character (and the horse if you want)

Pros

Completely unique moveset guaranteed with the spear.

Like Eirika, he comes from a different Continent without representation (Magvel).

Ephraim is a popular Fire Emblem Lord.

He isn’t a Sword-user

Cons

Niche Smash Support, but probably better than other characters because his high popularity.

Overlap with Bandana Dee as a Spear-User, one of most wanted characters in the Japanese Smash Fanbase, and also popular in some western communities.

Chances: Possible.

Micaiah

Micaiah is an full magician character (unlike Robin that also uses swords in his/her moveset), with access to light magic and staffs, this latter is one of the most common elements in the Fire Emblem Series unused in Smash.

Pros

Micaiah is confirmed as the Fire Emblem character with the loudest (and likeably biggest) Smash Ballot Support in Japanese Media. In Western Communities she is more a niche choice, but still one of the most popular between Fire Emblem Characters.

Staffs are interesting options to a moveset, and magic isn’t still used in it’s full potential in Smash Bros.

She isn’t a Sword-user

She is a female character

She was formerly controversial character in the Western Communities, that includes Fire Emblem Discussions and Brawl’s Days Predictions (even if her game doesn’t sell a lot, this helps her popularity in some way), and also one of the few Fire Emblem Characters in the Pre-Smash 4 with some actual support (because Chrom took all of the attention in the actual Speculation).

Cons

Her game is one of the worst sellers in the series (Ironically, its main characters are popular, especially Ike).

Micaiah is one of these character that had a mixed reception with the Fire Emblem’s fanbase (already mentioned her “controversial” side in the Pros); with many lovers and many haters.

Chances: Descent

And finally left the Fire Emblem Fates/If Characters: Kamui/Corrin and Azura Maybe I could talk about a little bit about them but I don’t have enough information. They are still too new for me, and probably many of you will know them better than me.

Final Results and Conclusions

Unlikely: Sigurd, Lyn (special reasons), Eliwood, Eirika

Possible: Tiki, Hector, Ephraim

Descent: Anna, Micaiah

The Fire Emblem characters have many things against them in their run to get a possible new character in Smash, even some of them have clear similarities with other characters already playable. However, I believe that Fire Emblem still has great potential for more characters, the most significant examples are characters that I think have a better chance. Probably any of them are converted in playable character, but you should not underestimate their potential, maybe you end up being surprised.

Uff... I don't remember the last time I wrote so much xDU

What do you think?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Sakurai can relax on Fire Emblem characters. Three of them are clones of each other.

If he can find something new (like with Robin), then he may go right ahead. Otherwise, there are other sword/rpg characters from other series that can add more.

From best to worst FE characters that I like to play: Roy, Robin, Ike, Marth, Lucina

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think the series almost died before the most recent game, and the fact that it has the third most characters in Smash Bros as playable, is pretty despicable. The support Fire Emblem gets in Smash Bros seems to be more than the support it gets for its actual games.
It quite blatantly feels that any time we discuss Fire Emblem, we start getting a bit delusional in the facts we present to make it sound more appealing, important, or in any way unique from other series; for example, why does it matter that the series has so many characters? If we want to admit they become irrelevant, lets just say that majority of the characters arent even important to their home series. Animal Crossing has an extremely large number of characters- and that left its character representation boiled down to a mere 1.
I respect the fans that say they want more characters from it because they enjoy the series; anything else seems to be some illogical strawgrasping on merit.

I also laugh a bit when people who advocate for more general FE characters criticize number of Pokemon characters in any way, particularly when we discuss the cut veterans from the series.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think the series almost died before the most recent game, and the fact that it has the third most characters in Smash Bros as playable, is pretty despicable. The support Fire Emblem gets in Smash Bros seems to be more than the support it gets for its actual games.

I also laugh a bit when people who advocate for more general FE characters criticize number of Pokemon characters in any way, particularly when we discuss the cut veterans from the series.
Er...I wouldn't say FE is given that much of a push. Lucina was a last minute character, there's no proof Roy was planned before DLC and FE only has a single AT and a few stages. There's more to representation than characters

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Er...I wouldn't say FE is given that much of a push. Lucina was a last minute character, there's no proof Roy was planned before DLC and FE only has a single AT and a few stages. There's more to representation than characters
Of course there is.
But realistically, that is what we are discussing when we talk about representation, unless otherwise noted.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Characters are the main selling point of Smash...and what the fans care about the most...Zelda may have a bunch of added content in Smash but no one really cares about how many items Zelda has in the game compared to other franchises...especially for those of us who almost never use items to begin with...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Of course there is.
But realistically, that is what we are discussing when we talk about representation, unless otherwise noted.
I know that we specifically talk about characters, but it always irks me when people judge representation based on characters. Because if that's the case, no Kirby representation was added this time around
Characters are the main selling point of Smash...and what the fans care about the most...Zelda may have a bunch of added content in Smash but no one really cares about how many items Zelda has in the game compared to other franchises...especially for those of us who almost never use items to begin with...
The majority of smashers use items as the casual crowd is dominant. You may not care, but I was hyped as hell for the Blue Shell item for instance

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm fine with not having any more FE characters as DLC nor do I want anymore. I honestly don't believe any FE character stood a chance of being DLC in the first place other than Roy due to his veteran status.

So.....about the number of characters were getting as DLC. I've always predicted that we would get 3-4 more or even 5 if we were very lucky though i'm thinking the number might be somewhat larger than that if the Smash Ballot characters were only being developed right after the ballot closed as opposed to Sakurai looking at the results 2 months later and making his decision then. That could potentially mean that we could have approximately 3 characters as additional pre-ballot characters in addition to another 3-4 characters as Smash Ballot DLC.

Another theory I had is that Sakurai left the Ballot open for 6 months because he's choosing 1 DLC character every 2 months. What I mean is that Sakurai would choose a character based on how popular they are along with if he thought they would be a good fit for Smash. So he could have picked 1 character at different time intervals based on how popular they were. 1 only a week after the ballot opened, 1 in June, 1 in August, and 1 in October right when the ballot ended. I actually believe this might be what Sakurai is doing with the ballot. I just find it strange that he would keep this ballot opened for half a year when all the major voting is pretty much done in the first month.

Last edited:
Fire Emblem is fourth most represented, just in front of Kid Icarus (suddenly huge for some reason) and Kirby.

Thinking about this "abundance of FE" made me realizer something about what I'd want for DLC more than anything else. It should bring in representation from underappreciated series of Nintendo or new series from them, such as Splatoon, Golden Sun, and Chibi-Robo. Big parts of current Nintendo property are still missing in-game, and DLC is a great way to patch those holes.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I know that we specifically talk about characters, but it always irks me when people judge representation based on characters. Because if that's the case, no Kirby representation was added this time around

The majority of smashers use items as the casual crowd is dominant. You may not care, but I was hyped as hell for the Blue Shell item for instance
I'm not exactly a hardcore competitive player though...even though I play more competitively than casually...if that makes sense...

Although the lack of a proper story mode makes me work more on my competitiveness as opposed to throwing all items on high in 8-Player Smash just for the sake of shenanigans...doesn't really help I'm annoyed with how easily it seems some of the items can get you kills though (seriously **** the Gust Bellows)

I've always held a sort of saltiness for Assist Trophies even before Midna and Dark Samus were condemned to their current status...Poke Balls I don't mind since the Pokemon franchise is frakking huge and there's dozens upon dozens of popular pokes to begin with and it's a great way to get as many pokes in the game as possible, but Assist Trophies I always thought were a bit demeaning to the characters portrayed, as it just seems very lackluster when you consider some of the characters...(not to mention it makes you want the characters to be playable more than if they weren't in the game to begin with)

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I'm not exactly a hardcore competitive player though...even though I play more competitively than casually...if that makes sense...

Although the lack of a proper story mode makes me work more on my competitiveness as opposed to throwing all items on high in 8-Player Smash just for the sake of shenanigans...doesn't really help I'm annoyed with how easily it seems some of the items can get you kills though (seriously **** the Gust Bellows)

I've always held a sort of saltiness for Assist Trophies even before Midna and Dark Samus were condemned to their current status...Poke Balls I don't mind since the Pokemon franchise is frakking huge and there's dozens upon dozens of popular pokes to begin with and it's a great way to get as many pokes in the game as possible, but Assist Trophies I always thought were a bit demeaning to the characters portrayed, as it just seems very lackluster when you consider some of the characters...(not to mention it makes you want the characters to be playable more than if they weren't in the game to begin with)
I remember how bummed I was when Little Mac was an assist trophy in Brawl... hopefully DLC will let Isaac come through and Mac won't stand alone as a "former" assist trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom