• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
On the topic of DLC, all I really want is Bandana Dee and then I'll be completely satisfied.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
All the Fire Emblem Representation talks makes me wrote this.

Fire Emblem Representation in Smash Ballot?

This is (mainly) and an opinion article.

Hello people, I’m Troykv, an user from SmashBoards..

I’m here to talk about something that many people either ignore or is against: the Fire Emblem’s presence in the Smash Ballot.

Maybe you ask: “Why is this exactly?” Very simple: The Representation.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U is perhaps the game of the franchise that has benefited this franchise the most, mainly for things like a lot more trophies compared with the last entry (the 3DS version get the new ones, in the Wii U version the trophies are pretty much the same), two new stages (one for each version), being one of the few franchises that got new original characters (alongside Mario, Kid Icarus and Pokémon), and also get two extra characters for special reasons; Lucina (the most popular character in Awakening and one the most popular in the whole franchise) formerly was a Marth’s Custom and Roy (one of the Melee veterans) got massive support (Mostly in Japan).

It might seem that Fire Emblem has received a lot of things and looks bizarre that the number of characters is the same as Zelda. But actually this “special treatment” can be explained.

Fire Emblem has a lot of characters that are the main ones, unlike other franchises, FE doesn’t have an actual “main character” or a main group of characters, we can find many characters with their own personalities and abilities.

1. Fire Emblem was “lucky” to get two clones for convenient reasons: Roy is like the other Melee clones, characters planned with intention to expand the game’s roster; and Lucina is practically an effortless “free dessert”. The series has technically 3.5 original characters (the “.5” are Roy’s and Lucina’s differences).

Also, Fire Emblem gets representation in a very specific way: the new character for game and the clones. Otherwise the franchise has a similar (or even in some cases, inferior) representation. For example, Zelda has in the CSS the same characters that Fire Emblem, but, unlike the latter, Zelda’s clones are particularly special (Ganondorf and Toon Link not only are the Melee Clones with more differences in the moveset, but also the ones with more differences in the aesthetics… Just look how different is the Toon Link’s model compared with the Regular Link’s), and also, Zelda get a lot of side content (specially in this game), with 4 Assist Trophy (Tingle, Skull Kid, Midna and Ghirahim), and 8 Items (5 of them are new inclusions from Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U) and the biggest variety in the Stage’s Selections (A Castle, a Temple, a Bridge at Twilight, a Pirate Ship, a Sky Town and a Train).

Fire Emblem isn’t exactly “over-represented” is more like “represent in a weird way”. Many franchises has a specific “thing” that they can represent. Fire Emblem is one of the few franchises that is mostly focused in it’s characters and whatever to do with them (and they are many).

Now that I already explained the Fire Emblem situation with the representation, I will explain the chances for all the viable characters that could appear in the game as Smash Ballot’s options based in some special guidelines that Sakurai’s himself gave.

1. The Character must display personality in their game.

2. It’s important to have something only that character can do.

3. Potential development issues, and game balance is also taken into some consideration.

4. Distribution among the franchises is also taken into consideration.

Surely you’re thinking: “Oh! But Fire Emblem already has better representation than many other series. If you add another character would destroy the distribution’s balance”.

Again I refer to what I mentioned earlier and I'll also add… This can or can't be true depending on how much importance is given to the clone’s presence (usually I only count Roy because he is a Semi-Clone, Lucina is a free character practically). Otherwise, I will not mention the fourth criteria because it would be the same comments apply to every character; also, this criteria depends (in some extent) of personal ideas of “representation” and distribution.

In addition I will also mention other special guidelines based on popularity and other aspects that have to be mentioned (as possible “advantages and disadvantages” in their creation as playable characters).

Fire Emblem characters aren’t especially popular characters in the Smash Ballot (with a few exceptions that have descent support), but I want to explain it all the circumstances that could make or not more likeable one of these characters. In the end I will put a “Ranking” with the best chances in my opinion. If you want you can do your own ranking based on your ideas and expectations.

Now with all that said, I'll start with the second part of the article.

Discounting the Fire Emblem Characters already in Smash (and Chrom, because he was deconfirmed for actually explained reasons), we have as main characters and other recurring characters these ones:

Tiki (from Akanea’s Games)

Anna (the general cameo character)

Alm and Celica (Fire Emblem Gaiden)

Sigurd (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of Holy War)

Leif (Fire Emblem: Thraccia 776)

Lyn, Eliwood and Hector (Fire Emblem)

Eirika and Ephraim (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn)

Micaiah (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

Kamui/Corrin and Azura (Fire Emblem If/Fates)

Note: I'm sure that any possible Fire Emblem newcomer is a "front-runner" (the best ones has probably "decent" support).

Note 2: I don’t see so much reason to comment Alm and Celica’s Chances since their game is so neglected that even the Japanese themselves seem to ignore them sometimes. So I automatically assume that they are at the bottom of the ranking with a somewhat abysmal difference. I also I won’t comment about Seliph and Leif because they look like potential Marth Clones (in fact, some of his moves in their games, belongs to Marth in Smash Bros, like the Dolphin Slash)

Note 3: “The Character must display personality in their game.” This Sakurai’s guideline it’is difficult for me to explain properly, because the perception of a character’s personality touches points too subjective. You can put your own opinions about this aspect.

General Pros and Cons (Applies with almost every character here):

Pros

Sakurai is a big Fire Emblem fan, this makes easier to him create fun and interesting moveset, because he has a bigger connection with this games.

Cons

Any of these characters has a particularly great Support (mainly because Robin and Roy are already in the game).

Any of these characters are great icons in the Nintendo Games (but many of the most recognizable Nintendo Characters are already in the game).

Any of these characters has a likeable future (with Anna and maybe Tiki as the only exceptions).

The majority of these character has Awakening DLC and their most recent game (except Anna and Tiki again; the Fates characters too for obvious reasons).

Tiki

What can she offer exactly?

The Manaketse are a recurrent aspect in Fire Emblem franchise. She can use powers related with her Manakete form, like flames, flame orbs attacks (like the one that uses in Awakening) and other dragon-like attacks. The manakete form could be used as a summon or as an actual transformation during her attacks.

Pros

She is the playable character with the most apparences storywise in the series: Three (Five if you count the Remakes, Six if you count Genei Ibun Roku #FE), this make her one of the few Fire Emblem characters that actually has “likeable future” in the series.

She is a fan favorite, one of the most popular characters in the overall series, even was capable to get a good place in the Awakening’s Popularity Contest.

She isn’t a sword-user.

She is a female character… this always is an advantage.

Cons

Her Ballot Support was Small.

Possible issues with transformations (it depends on how exactly this works).

She could over with other dragon-like characters (Bowser/Charizard) in some moves.

The Awakening version Tiki could have a design too “sexy” for the game, because she has a big a noticeable cleavage and use garter straps (in the 3DS Trophy model isn’t really notable any of these aspects).

The Akanea/Ylisse games already has 2 characters (3 if you count Lucina)

Chances: Possible, but don’t really in the “descent” side.

Anna

Anna is a character that has appeared the most through the franchise (Except for Gaiden) with many different uses in the series, the most usually is as a merchant but also appears as a cameo, a guide, etc.. She is mysterious and loves money (Apparently there are lots of Annas which explains all her appareances in the franchise).

Anna is portrayed in many ways, that include using weapons out of nowhere. It’s probably the most open character to use different things.

Pros

Anna is the only Fire Emblem Character that has a confirmed future, she’s a character that will mostly come back in some way.

She has the biggest variety to use as weapons and other things.

Anna has probably the biggest Smash Ballot Support of all the Fire Emblem characters in Western Sites.

She is a female character.

Cons

It could be difficult to find a focus for her character.

She lacks relevance in the game’s story (is an optional character in Awakening and Fates).

Chances: Descent.

Sigurd

What can he offer exactly?

Two things, a horse-riding and a spear-user (at least in some moves).

Pros

He represented one of the greatest moments in the Fire Emblem’s Story, the SNES games and Genealogy of Holy War, one of the most popular Fire Emblem Games in Japan.

The Horse-Riders are common units in Fire Emblem, and like Manaketes, it isn’t already used in Smash (the same with Spears).

Cons

Possible issues with horse-riding.

Sigurd looks like an older Marth (this is make it worse what you know that Project M did a Marth’s Costume based in Sigurd).

Genealogy of Holy War is a Japan-Only Game.

His Smash Ballot Support was Small.

He is still mainly a sword-user.

Chances: Unlikely

Lyn

She is usually is described as a light and fast sword-user, a rush-down style, and she is capable to use bows too.

Pros

She is one the most popular character in the overall series (in fact, she is the First Lord that Western Fire Emblem Fans met).

She was (formerly) one of the most wanted characters in Super Smash Bros Brawl and still had a decent support in the Pre-Smash 4 Speculation.

Her Smash Ballot Support was (at least) decent between the other wanted Fire Emblem Characters.

She is a female character.

Cons

Outside of the different style, she is still a character mainly focused in swordplay.

She already has a role in the game (Assist Trophy).

Chances: Unlikely (but only because of the Assist Trophy problem).

Eliwood

Eliwood, like Sigurd is a character that use a horse (in FE6 and post-promotion in FE7) and he is both a sword and spear user.

Pros

Like Lyn, he is a well known character in the Fire Emblem series.

Like Sigurd, he a horse and spears

Cons

Eliwood is heavily overshadowed by Lyn’s and Hector’s Popularity.

He looks like a red-haired Marth or an older Roy.

He is still mainly a Sword-user.

The possible horse issues.

Chances: Unlikely.

Hector

He is a Armor Knight-like Lord and an Axe User (one of the few lords that doesn’t have as his main weapon swords). As a curious fact, many games in the franchise has “boomerang-like” axes (Hand Axes).

Pros

Hector is a popular character in the Fire Emblem Franchises.

He could perfectly be a Heavyweight character.

He isn’t a Sword-User

Cons

He is overshadowed for Lyn’s popularity

Ike already fills a similar niche in the game.

Niche Smash Support, but probably better than other characters because his high popularity.

Chances: Possible.

Eirika

Well… Only the horse.

Pros

She represent a different continent (Magvel)

The horse is (like I already explained with Sigurd and Eliwood) an unused element that is common in the Fire Emblem Games.

She is a female.

Cons

Everything else in her design looks like a character that could be a Marth clone (already her basic attack in Fire Emblem looks like the Marth’s).

She is a sword-user

She is overshadowed for Ephraim’s popularity (the other Magvel’s Lord)

Her Ballot Support is Small

If you count the horse, like with Sigurd and Ephraim, this could have issues.

Chances: Unlikely

Ephraim

A complete Spear-User Character (and the horse if you want)

Pros

Completely unique moveset guaranteed with the spear.

Like Eirika, he comes from a different Continent without representation (Magvel).

Ephraim is a popular Fire Emblem Lord.

He isn’t a Sword-user

Cons

Niche Smash Support, but probably better than other characters because his high popularity.

Overlap with Bandana Dee as a Spear-User, one of most wanted characters in the Japanese Smash Fanbase, and also popular in some western communities.

Chances: Possible.

Micaiah

Micaiah is an full magician character (unlike Robin that also uses swords in his/her moveset), with access to light magic and staffs, this latter is one of the most common elements in the Fire Emblem Series unused in Smash.

Pros

Micaiah is confirmed as the Fire Emblem character with the loudest (and likeably biggest) Smash Ballot Support in Japanese Media. In Western Communities she is more a niche choice, but still one of the most popular between Fire Emblem Characters.

Staffs are interesting options to a moveset, and magic isn’t still used in it’s full potential in Smash Bros.

She isn’t a Sword-user

She is a female character

She was formerly controversial character in the Western Communities, that includes Fire Emblem Discussions and Brawl’s Days Predictions (even if her game doesn’t sell a lot, this helps her popularity in some way), and also one of the few Fire Emblem Characters in the Pre-Smash 4 with some actual support (because Chrom took all of the attention in the actual Speculation).

Cons

Her game is one of the worst sellers in the series (Ironically, its main characters are popular, especially Ike).

Micaiah is one of these character that had a mixed reception with the Fire Emblem’s fanbase (already mentioned her “controversial” side in the Pros); with many lovers and many haters.

Chances: Descent

And finally left the Fire Emblem Fates/If Characters: Kamui/Corrin and Azura Maybe I could talk about a little bit about them but I don’t have enough information. They are still too new for me, and probably many of you will know them better than me.

Final Results and Conclusions

Unlikely: Sigurd, Lyn (special reasons), Eliwood, Eirika

Possible: Tiki, Hector, Ephraim

Descent: Anna, Micaiah

The Fire Emblem characters have many things against them in their run to get a possible new character in Smash, even some of them have clear similarities with other characters already playable. However, I believe that Fire Emblem still has great potential for more characters, the most significant examples are characters that I think have a better chance. Probably any of them are converted in playable character, but you should not underestimate their potential, maybe you end up being surprised.

Uff... I don't remember the last time I wrote so much xDU

What do you think?
That's really cool, everything is pretty informative in there, and while I don't agree with you at all about the representation, I'm going to give you your credit where it's due, what you listed for the pros and cons of every character is very informative and educational, this kind of stuff really helps people like me who aren't into Fire Emblem when it comes to figuring out what makes each character unique and what each character's all about, so thank you :).

I know that we specifically talk about characters, but it always irks me when people judge representation based on characters. Because if that's the case, no Kirby representation was added this time around
No Kirby rep was added though, it's still from super star, dreamland,and adventure/nightmare in dreamland :troll:. I'm kidding, don't worry, I get what your saying :p.

Now that you mentioned it though, if we count stages and trophies, wouldn't Kirby just become even more under-represented in comparison to everyone else? Dark Matter doesn't even have a trophy and that's the series second most influential antagonist, neither does Waddle Dee, and Knuckle Joe is a assist trophy over Galacta Knight, Magolor, and Dark Matter, despite being nothing more than a literal enemy in the games and a minor anime character, sometimes it kind of personally feels like Mr. Sakurai only puts in stuff from his era and ignores literally everything else. I always found it kind of weird that their missing stuff like Dark Matter and Waddle Dee trophies, but I dunno maybe it's just me, perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I continue to believe fun and interesting characters are more important than the series they come from.
The issue is that any character can be fun and interesting, and every individuals idea of fun and interesting are not congruent; it is not much by which to go. Nintendo spews fun and interesting characters out each year, that is too loose of a definition and criteria.
Additionally, some characters by name supercede any potential move set; we have been given many instances wherein the decision to include the character came first, before the notion of how to use said character. Pacman, for example, was made to *be* fun and interesting, yet he got in because he is frickin' Pacman.

It also defies the initial premise of the game to rely on merely fun and interesting characters. Super Smash Bros 64 was about Nintendo All Stars battling to the knockout; while the game has reared slightly away from pure All Stars, part of the initial appeal (which lasts until this day) was the character-recognition. It is fantastic that the game also happens to be such a one-of-the-kind to play, but seeing as it is the only game in which us Nintendo fans can try to see all of our favorite big-name Nintendo characters in one title, it is not solely about the game play.

Nintendo would truly benefit by having another title (or series, with multiple or even changing genres*) with its biggest characters all as options.... yet until we get that, many fans find a big portion of the appeal to come from character cognizance.

Skylanders is a pretty good example of this (and only this). Each game that comes out for it is a completely new playstyle, whether it be a collect-a-thon like Trap Team, or the current racing mechanic.

Last edited:

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
My DLC wishlist:
Daisy:
Daisy has always been my favorite character from the Mario series. She's been put off to the side for so long and I think that she deserves to make a comeback starting with her in smash. She's a princess who doesn't follow the stereotype. She's a hotheaded, tomboyish princess with some spunk.
Shantae:
Shantae is from an obscure video game that I consider a hidden gem. Shantae would be perfect for smash. Her moveset would have so many possibilities.
Ashley:
I know she's an assist trophy but this is a want list not a will list. Ashley would be an awesome addition to Smash. She would be the only female magic user besides female Robin. Her moveset would be so cool and she would just fit into smash so well and frankly, I don't know 1 person who hates Ashley.
King K Rool: We need to have another DK representative and he's perfect. Everything about him would be so awesome. His set would be very versatile and his design is cool too.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Waluigi has more going for him as a playable character than Daisy.

He has long limbs and a movement attribute: He can swim in the air. This translates to Smash well, while giving him some diversity from the cast.

Daisy, on the other hand, is a speed character. Toad is also a speed character, but has more going for him. He is also strong, has low jumps, and has an assortment of abilities at his disposal. He was a playable character before.

I can see Waluigi becoming a playable character in something like Mario 3D world. I cannot see Daisy in this capacity. Not yet. Her traits and stand-out abilities have not really been explored enough to flesh out a fighter.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think Waluigi has more going for him as a playable character than Daisy.

He has long limbs and a movement attribute: He can swim in the air. This translates to Smash well, while giving him some diversity from the cast.

Daisy, on the other hand, is a speed character. Toad is also a speed character, but has more going for him. He is also strong, has low jumps, and has an assortment of abilities at his disposal. He was a playable character before.

I can see Waluigi becoming a playable character in something like Mario 3D world. I cannot see Daisy in this capacity. Not yet. Her traits and stand-out abilities have not really been explored enough to flesh out a fighter.
I don't think limb length has anything to do with it, but Waluigi is certainly a more likely choice than Daisy, who didn't even get in Mario Maker

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
If we're talking characters only, FE is tied with Zelda for third most represented series.

By the way everyone, :4feroy: is about as much of a clone as Lucas, Ganondorf, or Falco.

Mmm ... no, Roy is definitely more of a clone than them.
Roy's Dancing Blade/Double Edge Dance and Counter are pretty similar to Marth's in function, only DED having a bit more knockback, but all of :4lucas::4ganondorf:and :4falco:'s specials have different properties and they share a lot less animations with their counterparts compared to Roy and Marth.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't think limb length has anything to do with it, but Waluigi is certainly a more likely choice than Daisy, who didn't even get in Mario Maker
I mean Waluigi didn't get into Mario Kart 7, but Daisy did if we're going to play this game.

It's a pointless discussion though out of who is better between Waluigi or Daisy. The answer is always Toad. Always.

He's "Da best" after all.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I mean Waluigi didn't get into Mario Kart 7, but Daisy did if we're going to play this game.
Waluigi for Mario Kart 7 kinda has the excuse of Time Constraints. They wanted to make sure MK7 was there for the Launch of the 3DS and unfortunately they didn't have enough time to finish Waluigi in time for the release.

Meanwhile in Mario Maker, there is 100 costumes (and counting until Daisy is found as one of the possible costumes when the event courses get here) that includes Waluigi and several other oddities like a Mahjong tile and the multiple varations of Mario & Yoshi. And not one of them turned out to be Daisy. It wouldn't even be that hard (Just make a few sprites and borrow a few sound clips from the spin-off games, possibly add the complete a stage theme from Super Mario Land 1 for her victory theme). So why have they not added Daisy yet? It's only going to get worse if Daisy still isn't one of the costumes even after the new costumes come in from the Event Courses.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I think the series almost died before the most recent game, and the fact that it has the third most characters in Smash Bros as playable, is pretty despicable. The support Fire Emblem gets in Smash Bros seems to be more than the support it gets for its actual games.
I think there may be a different reason for them being in and it probably has something to do with Sakurai favoring certain aspects of the series' characters.

Marth's mechanic is something that Sakurai really liked; to the point where he made three variations of it. He used character that had major roles in the recent (or upcoming) games to make this mechanic and thus two clones were born. It's a little strange he chose this series to experiment with clones at first, but when you consider the potential of a "fencing" character it starts to make sense.

Robin's addition could have been influenced by the IP's developer (like Greninja). If I recall correctly, Sakurai has to consult with Intelligent Studios to put Fire Emblem characters in the game, similar to having to consult with GF for Pokemon. It all depends on whether IS pushed Sakurai to develop Robin to be in Smash or whether it was the other way around. Sakurai didn't strictly mention why he chose this character (or any of the other Fire Emblem reps post-Melee) for Smash characters, so we really don't know. All we have is Sakurai saying he found appeal in Ike's design as a "burly swordsman" as Robin's design a magic wielder (idk what to call this, tactician?).

It quite blatantly feels that any time we discuss Fire Emblem, we start getting a bit delusional in the facts we present to make it sound more appealing, important, or in any way unique from other series; for example, why does it matter that the series has so many characters? If we want to admit they become irrelevant, lets just say that majority of the characters arent even important to their home series. Animal Crossing has an extremely large number of characters- and that left its character representation boiled down to a mere 1.
I definitely agree with this, but I haven't heard anything of the sort anywhere on SB. Where are you getting this from?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think there may be a different reason for them being in and it probably has something to do with Sakurai favoring certain aspects of the series' characters.

Marth's mechanic is something that Sakurai really liked; to the point where he made three variations of it. He used character that had major roles in the recent (or upcoming) games to make this mechanic and thus two clones were born. It's a little strange he chose this series to experiment with clones at first, but when you consider the potential of a "fencing" character it starts to make sense.

Robin's addition could have been influenced by the IP's developer (like Greninja). If I recall correctly, Sakurai has to consult with Intelligent Studios to put Fire Emblem characters in the game, similar to having to consult with GF for Pokemon. It all depends on whether IS pushed Sakurai to develop Robin to be in Smash or whether it was the other way around. Sakurai didn't strictly mention why he chose this character (or any of the other Fire Emblem reps post-Melee) for Smash characters, so we really don't know. All we have is Sakurai saying he found appeal in Ike's design as a "burly swordsman" as Robin's design a magic wielder (idk what to call this, tactician?).

I definitely agree with this, but I haven't heard anything of the sort anywhere on SB. Where are you getting this from?
Fire Emblem isn't owned by IS...IS is merely a developer for these games and many other Nintendo titles as well...unlike Game Freak and the Pokemon Company who has a more publishing rights over the Pokemon games...

Robin was added because Sakurai saw more potential in him than Chrom and not because of IS's influence (otherwise Anna probably would've been in the game already since she is a developer favourite)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Robin was chosen by Sakurai because he helped "complete the essence of the game." He specifically mentions that Robin shows off an element of FE that another mere swordsman, Chrom, could not, and that it brought in an element of that world.

This is one of the most telling articles Sakurai has ever written (welll, quotations he has ever given us), because it perfectly demonstrates characters are tied to series representation, and that franchise mechanic is point blank on his mind.
Though anyone who honestly looked at the desire to include Pokemon Trainer could see that he cares about the essence of the world, it is nice for such to be confirmed. Without doubt it is one of the most helpful interviews when trying to figure out which characters Sakurai could pick. I will do my best to get this quotation added on my phone, but googling "Sakurai Robin essence" should do the trick.

Sakurai has an entire interview about why he chose Robin and why he did not chose Chrom. I reference it earlier in this post, but it is clear to me I must continue to post the speech everywhere, as it is often at the heart of my arguments regarding Sakurai's philosophy.

Where from am I getting what? The post of mine you quoted suggest a number of the hamartia of Fire Emblem fans, and examples I referenced are so predominant on these boards that they can be found within the last two pages of this exact thread.

Here is the article: http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/1...ros-says-he-lacks-any-unique-characteristics/
It is full of juicey tidbits (or honestly, some chunks of fat), but at the end:
At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old-sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with [Robin]... not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don't know, the roster feels awkward without Chrom. (At least we have the Mii costume though, so it's not really that awkward)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Chrom, would have been great. But Lucina and Robin are perfect fits.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't know, the roster feels awkward without Chrom. (At least we have the Mii costume though, so it's not really that awkward)
I guess the point of sourcing an article, with explicit and intricate detail on Sakurai's behalf, was to supercede the individual feelings of any one audience participant; we all have different aesthetics and feelings about characters- this is why it is important for characters to be made playable based on something of greater merit.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yet your profile says you main IC, who had a single game for 30 years iirc
I'd edited my post before you responded;
but this is not only irrelevant, it is unnecessary, and illogical.

I'm not looking to get into the entire premise of Fire Emblem's character representation again; I've not only given my fair share of statements, I've quoted Sakurai in one of his most prolific articles regarding character representation.

Please, understand.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I guess the point of sourcing an article, with explicit and intricate detail on Sakurai's behalf, was to supercede the individual feelings of any one audience participant; we all have different aesthetics and feelings about characters- this is why it is important for characters to be made playable based on something of greater merit.
I suppose so, it's just so strange not having the main character of a particular game be playable and rather have the ''sidekicks'' be playable, but the Mii Costume does a good job of compensating this, so I'm not one to complain.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I suppose so, it's just so strange not having the main character of a particular game be playable and rather have the ''sidekicks'' be playable, but the Mii Costume does a good job of compensating this, so I'm not one to complain.
I'd argue Robin is Awakening's main character, you play as him/her and the story is more about Robin than Chrom

D

Deleted member

Looking through Tamaki's tweets. Said he gave his stance, on the Shovel Knight rumor and said. He was done with here and we're on a wild witch hunt.

The rumor's dead. Shovel Knight's deconfirmed. I still want him in. But Tamaki got false info. I think he's still credible but it's done.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'd argue Robin is Awakening's main character, you play as him/her and the story is more about Robin than Chrom
Well technically Robin is more of a sidekick to Chrom, and Chrom's bloodline does play a pivotal role in the story, not to mention,
Chrom is the one who seals Grima in the Falchion
and if he dies (even in casual mode) then the game is over. However this also happens to Robin, so it could be argued that it's both their story, however Chrom seems more important to the story overall.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well technically Robin is more of a sidekick to Chrom, and Chrom's bloodline does play a pivotal role in the story, not to mention,
Chrom is the one who seals Grima in the Falchion
and if he dies (even in casual mode) then the game is over. However this also happens to Robin, so it could be argued that it's both their story, however Chrom seems more important to the story overall.
Nope. What you mentioned in the spoiler tag only happens if Chrom is chosen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't Chrom get taken out of the party unlike Robin? The second half of the story is all about Robin

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Nope. What you mentioned in the spoiler tag only happens if Chrom is chosen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't Chrom get taken out of the party unlike Robin? The second half of the story is all about Robin
I don't think so, they both stay the whole time.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I distinctively remember taking Chrom out, if someone's willing to boot up Awakening, thank you so kindly, my 3DS has been busted for over a year
I'm pretty sure he says, however there's something that happens to him later on that I can't say because it's a spoiler for people who haven't played the game.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
In all chapters(Story, Paralogue and Xenologue) Chrom is needed, whereas Robin is only needed in one chapter(not counting early chapters where you don't have enough units to select). In Risen battles both characters are optional.

This is all according to a quick trip to the Wiki, though.

It could be argued that the entire Awakening story is about Robin, as it starts and ends with him(or her, whichever one you decide to go with).

But enough about that.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I distinctively remember taking Chrom out, if someone's willing to boot up Awakening, thank you so kindly, my 3DS has been busted for over a year
Both can be argued to be the main characters of the game...in game they even refer to themselves as two halves of the same whole and such...however from my memory Chrom is the only character that is required on every Map while Robin is required on a few but not all...

I know that when you revisit maps when the Risen appear every character is optional including Chrom but those are just minor challenges that are basically there for extra grinding anyways...

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Gotta' love when every thread turns into a Fire Emblem fanboy thread...
Last edited: 6 minutes ago
My post: 7 minutes ago
Not exactly how posting works; but for once, please feel free to justify your feelings (backig up an opinion) and explain why you think the Ice Climbers are not viable options for characters in Smash bros, other than being against those who find Fire Emblem as unnecessary and redundant?

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Ashley:
I know she's an assist trophy but this is a want list not a will list. Ashley would be an awesome addition to Smash. She would be the only female magic user besides female Robin.
Along with somebody else on the roster.

I'll give you a hint. Her name starts with "Zel" and ends with "da".

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
If Chrom non-inclusion makes the roster feel awkward, what about the Ice Climbers?
A veteran from Melee that was also in Brawl but was cut out because of the 3DS limitations, as Sakurai claims. They were going to be a part of the final roster unless 8 player Smash was also another problem.

Speaking of the 3DS, I wonder how the Wii U version would look like if the 3DS was never made. We probably would have gotten at least 5 more characters in the final roster along with even more game modes but I guess we'll never know.

D

Deleted member

Ice Climbers definetly would have returned. If it was just Sma4sh Wii U.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Slap a bungee cord between the Ice Climbers and have them play as two connected characters.

Why are FE characters being compared to IC? IC are retros (which pretty much guarantee they are exceptions to usual rules) pretty much chosen on moveset potential. FE is a relevant franchise that just pushed itself as far into the forefront as it could. There really is no comparison to be made here. . .

Not having the 3ds version may have improved few features here and there, but it would have sold far far worse. There is no way it would have been worth it from a business standpoint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom