• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I feel like we may get Shantae, she wasn't originally that popular in Japan, however Pirate's Curse definitely helped get her name out, as the original game was released in Japan, however it was a financial flop there, copies were limited and advertising was nonexistent. However now that she's built a name for herself there in addition to her overwhelming support, I see it as possible. She really could be our next third-party character, at least, imo. I think it'll either be her or Rayman.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Honestly the only safe bet I'm thinking on right now is Wolf, and possibly K. Rool.

Cloud's addition seriously screws with what the majority of the community (as far as I know) thought as previously established third-party character criteria. It's apparent now that an iconic or famous character can very well get in, even if their involvement with Nintendo is very highly limited.

That of course doesn't automatically mean we're going to get a whole bunch of other, or even one more iconic third-party character(s), but it certainly indicates there's a chance for them. I really don't know what to expect right now, Cloud was a total curveball and any other third-parties we may get are certainly not gonna be easy predictions either.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Honestly the only safe bet I'm thinking on right now is Wolf, and possibly K. Rool.

Cloud's addition seriously screws with what the majority of the community (as far as I know) thought as previously established third-party character criteria. It's apparent now that an iconic or famous character can very well get in, even if their involvement with Nintendo is very highly limited.

That of course doesn't automatically mean we're going to get a whole bunch of other, or even one more iconic third-party character(s), but it certainly indicates there's a chance for them. I really don't know what to expect right now, Cloud was a total curveball and any other third-parties we may get are certainly not gonna be easy predictions either.
I think it would be very very interesting if someone like Shantae gets in.

There will be an icon-heavy side of 3rd parties and the much lesser 3rd party side to both the game & it's character speculation scene.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Can we all just agree who is going to get in as another third party won't be as easy to predict anymore? I don't know who to expect after Cloud, this blew everyone out of the water.
:4mario:, :4sonic:, :4megaman:, :4pacman:, :4ryu:, and now :4cloud: putting in Shovel Knight or Shantae would seem like such a downgrade, he said already he wouldn't put just any third party in Smash. As long as they have legacy and can negotiate then they could get in.

Obviously having a Nintendo history is mute at this point with Cloud in, so really as long as they are iconic it having a relationship doesn't mean squat anymore after this. Someone is going to have to top Cloud, but I don't see who can in all honesty.

Last edited:

SwordOfSeals

Smash Cadet
You know what I just noticed...If a DLC Pack 5 comes out and costs as much as DLC Pack 2, ALL the Smash DLC in the end comes up $100 dollars out of everyone's pockets for those who bought all DLC Collection packs (I did the club Nintendo thing for Mewtwo so I probably spent like five dollars less Lol).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Indie's aren't going to happen. Seriously.

They don't stack up to what we currently have. They just don't. They don't have a legacy. A legacy in gaming takes many years to create, or at least to see the fruit of. Shantae and Shovel Knight aren't even close to that yet. They aren't happening.

Characters remaining that would arguably fit right into the 3rd party roster currently are: Snake, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo & Kazooie, Nathan Drake, Kratos, Master Chief, Heihachi, and I don't really know who else I could add without going down in quality.

From that list, 4 are owned from direct competitors. I think it might be 5 actually. That leaves Snake, Rayman, and Heihachi (who was already passed over in favor of Pac-Man). That leaves Snake and Rayman.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Can we all just agree who is going to get in as another third party won't be as easy to predict anymore? I don't know who to expect after Cloud, this blew everyone out of the water.
:4mario:, :4sonic:, :4megaman:, :4pacman:, :4ryu:, and now :4cloud: putting in Shovel Knight or Shantae would seem like such a downgrade, he said already he wouldn't put just any third party in Smash. As long as they have legacy and can negotiate then they could get in.

Obviously having a Nintendo history is mute at this point with Cloud in, so really as long as they are iconic it having a relationship doesn't mean squat anymore after this. Someone is going to have to top Cloud, but I don't see who can in all honesty.
I don't believe it will be a 3rd party character that would top Cloud. It may be a Ninty giant like K Rool or to a lesser extent Inklings.

But I think 1 more 3rd party character could get in.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I find it hard to believe we've only got 2 left, I think we're getting 5. 1 more pre-ballot (Wolf) and 4 post
I'm the opposite, I find it so hard to believe that we would get so many. The characters take 6-8 months to develop, the wording by Sakurai indicates Cloud is a ballot character (three of the translators on SG agree on it), and they need to develop characters for both the 3DS and Wii U. Characters don't come easily, and I've been saying to lower expectations since I predicted two were it back in June. If we get 5, I'd be floored.

You're still that confident in Shovel Knight to the point you think that Wolf is as likely as him? I mean Wolf isn't exactly a shoo-in but Shovel Knight has a completely unrealistic chance at this point for many obvious reasons. He doesn't even have gaming history.

As for Wolf, I'm kinda 50/50 on him. Inklings I can see making it in as could I see Dixie.

Edit: corrected an error.
Dixie would be under my Nintendo newcomer.

I think Wolf is unlikely. If he's in, hes going to get in at the tail end of development, just like normal development and semi-clones and clones(something I said in "Is Wolf a Shoo-in?"). I mean, that's how he got in the first place. He'd take that third slot. I don't think he'd be the main course of DLC and might be lucky to get in.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

They don't stack up to what we currently have. They just don't. They don't have a legacy. A legacy in gaming takes many years to create, or at least to see the fruit of. Shantae and Shovel Knight aren't even close to that yet. They aren't happening.

Characters remaining that would arguably fit right into the 3rd party roster currently are: Snake, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo & Kazooie, Nathan Drake, Kratos, Master Chief, Heihachi, and I don't really know who else I could add without going down in quality.

From that list, 4 are owned from direct competitors. I think it might be 5 actually. That leaves Snake, Rayman, and Heihachi (who was already passed over in favor of Pac-Man). That leaves Snake and Rayman.
Um. I doubt that console maker competitor 1st parties would ever get in.

But I'll quote you on blue if an Indie gets in.

To your final list I would also add Yukimura Sanada from Samurai Warriors or the main guy from Dynasty Warriors, Slime and also Lara Croft. And Bayonetta.Cos this icon thing could end up being yet another fan 'rule' being broken.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

Activision still owns the right to Crash, last I checked.

And they're currently ruining Spyro, give them time to stomp on the childhood memories of Crash fans.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I don't believe it will be a 3rd party character that would top Cloud. It may be a Ninty giant like K Rool or to a lesser extent Inklings.

But I think 1 more 3rd party character could get in.
Well of course a Nintnendo character would always bring hype. Especially if its a popular suggestion like King K. Rool or Inklings, or Bandanna Dee....those would be welcomed with opened arms. I'm just saying for third parties its going to be even harder now at this point.

Halifax?

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WhataTreeBark
[Cloud trailer speculation]

Cloud's trailer felt like a Wolf trailer. Accident or tease? Could be a space battleground:

Notice the reactions:
* Shofu
* Rogersbase

Sakurai teased both Mewtwo and Ridley. One's a character, one isn't...

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Activision still owns the right to Crash, last I checked.

And they're currently ruining Spyro, give them time to stomp on the childhood memories of Crash fans.
They already did with the Titan/Mutant games.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think our next third-party character will be a character that comes from the West, but is well known enough by Japanese audiences to sell well and not be obscure. I predict Rayman or Shantae.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Cloud's trailer felt like a Wolf trailer. Accident or tease? This could be a space battleground:

Notice the reactions:
* Shofu
* Rogersbase

It's an accident especially when it's a reference to FF7's intro

However there's also the Brawl music in the end... who knows what it might really mean

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Cloud's trailer felt like a Wolf trailer. Accident or tease? This could be a space battleground:

Notice the reactions:
* Shofu
* Rogersbase

They even had Brawl music playing in the background when they announced the Special Broadcast so it could still be a sign for something, but, I'm not getting my hopes up on it.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I doubt that the Brawl music means anything, it was probably just chosen to show how epic of an announcement it was.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Why is anybody trying to say that the Brawl music means anything? It was a Smash announcement, Brawl is a Smash game, so they played the music. That's all there is to it.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I think our next third-party character will be a character that comes from the West, but is well known enough by Japanese audiences to sell well and not be obscure. I predict Rayman or Shantae.
I agree. Tho maybe Snake in addition to one of them.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
My personal theory for Wolf was always that they were saving him for SF: Zero in November but seeing as the game was delayed, that could have changed the time he got revealed.

As for the December announcement, I personally believe it will happen in 3-5 weeks because I don't see the announcement happening in the later parts of December. Maybe anywhere between the 6th-20th? I honestly don't see the announcement happening after the 20th.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
My personal theory for Wolf was always that they were saving him for SF: Zero in November but seeing as the game was delayed, that could have changed the time he got revealed.

As for the December announcement, I personally believe it will happen in 3-5 weeks because I don't see the announcement happening in the later parts of December. Maybe anywhere between the 6th-20th? I honestly don't see the announcement happening after the 20th.
inb4 Dec 22nd.

But yh, that is a reasonable time frame.

Last edited:
reiterating just in case. . .the "space" background is a Final Fantasy reference. not a Star Fox reference. There is no Wolf hint there.

It was nice to learn about that reference when I booted up FF7 for the first time recently.

There are no safe guesses and shoo-ins. It's crazy how we went from "K rool and Wold are guaranteed. We'll see after" to "Jesus Christ I have no idea what's going on"

December will be super interesting because it can pretty much be anyone and no one is a guarantee.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I think they used the Brawl Final Destination theme because Nobuo Uematsu(main/was main Final Fantasy composer) composed it

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm the opposite, I find it so hard to believe that we would get so many. The characters take 6-8 months to develop, the wording by Sakurai indicates Cloud is a ballot character (three of the translators on SG agree on it), and they need to develop characters for both the 3DS and Wii U. Characters don't come easily, and I've been saying to lower expectations since I predicted two were it back in June. If we get 5, I'd be floored.

Dixie would be under my Nintendo newcomer.

I think Wolf is unlikely. If he's in, hes going to get in at the tail end of development, just like normal development and semi-clones and clones(something I said in "Is Wolf a Shoo-in?"). I mean, that's how he got in the first place. He'd take that third slot. I don't think he'd be the main course of DLC and might be lucky to get in.
I seriously doubt Cloud is a ballot character and even if he was there's no way he'd be the first developed, Cloud has never been that popular in the smash community. There's also the fact that Cloud was finished just a month after the ballot ended, that's a little suspicious they would've been developing something in between Royucas and the ballots end and I think that's cloud and someone else like Wolf.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I thought Snake was unlikely before Cloud's reveal but now I think he has a decent chance, despite Konami stuff lol.
Even then there are issues involving the ESRB, CERO and PEGI, as Snake could bump the age rating up.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Years ago who would have thought this would be possible? Take a moment to take it in.

It is very very clear Smash is not just a 'Nintendo All-Stars' game anymore. And to those who still complain about too many 3rd parties:

55 Nintendo characters across all Smash games. 6 3rd party characters. You'll live.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
I thought Snake was unlikely before Cloud's reveal but now I think he has a decent chance, despite Konami stuff lol.
The problem is that Konami & Nintendo's relationship went down the toilet in recent years (plus the potential censoring issues concerning the game's E10+ rating). Compare that to the positive working relationship Nintendo has with Sega (who gave Nintendo a 3-game exclusivity deal for Sonic, as well as working with Nintendo on the Mario-Sonic Olympic crossovers on a regular basis), Bandai Namco (who works with Nintendo on games quite often, three of which being Smash 4, Mario Kart 8 to a smaller extent, & now Pokkén Tournament), Capcom (Nintendo helps Capcom localize & advertise the mainline Monster Hunter games in exchange for Nintendo exclusivity), & Square-Enix (Nintendo also helps them out with localizing & advertising some of their 3DS games, mainly the Bravely Default series). You can see why I have my doubts concerning Snake in Smash 4.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post
I'm not a twitter kind of person but if anyone here does have a twitter account, could you please head over to #Sora_Sakurai, and type in to tell him that honestly an announcer would work better as a host than him for something that's probably gonna be a bigger announcement than last June? Xander Mobus is more suited for something bigger like the results of the Smash Ballot. Just please in November honestly tell #Sora_Sakurai something like "I'm sorry but the announcer would be a better Smash direct host than you would be."

And to tell you the truth, I wish some fan here who does have a twitter account had thought up this idea.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'm not a twitter kind of person but if anyone here does have a twitter account, could you please head over to #Sora_Sakurai, and type in to tell him that honestly an announcer would work better as a host than him for something that's probably gonna be a bigger announcement than last June? Xander Mobus is more suited for something bigger like the results of the Smash Ballot. Just please in November honestly tell #Sora_Sakurai something like "I'm sorry but the announcer would be a better Smash direct host than you would be."

And to tell you the truth, I wish some fan here who does have a twitter account had thought up this idea.
I doubt he would even read. Sorry mate.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
I don't follow your logic.
Brawl was rated T, with Snake being one of the main reasons for it. And before you bring up Melee's T rating, the E10+ rating didn't exist when Melee came out. Sakurai & the guys at Bandai Namco bent over backwards to make Smash 4 rated E10+, even going as far as to remove Tharja's trophy.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Brawl was rated T, with Snake being one of the main reasons for it. And before you bring up Melee's T rating, the E10+ rating didn't exist when Melee came out. Sakurai & the guys at Bandai Namco bent over backwards to make Smash 4 rated E10+, even going as far as to remove Tharja's trophy.
Well then, didn't know Brawl was rated T in murica.

Gosh why does USA have to be sooo harsh with that E10 too.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
As for the timing of Cloud, we're supposedly nearing the end of Smash 4's DLC support, which lines up with Mario Kart 8 receiving about a year of DLC support before the team went their separate ways. Sakurai probably made his picks from the characters he was suggested via the Ballot months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom