• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
The shape-shifting, kick-*** time manipulating sassy lady besides ZSS in my profile.

I'm a 90's guy. Just about. Rayman is at least 3x more recognizable/iconic than Banjo the way I see it.
Shovel Knight is in no way more iconic than bk, dunno who said that.

And like I've said before... Indies are in thier own category.

Imo I think Pichu is the more pointless return than Young Link.
At least Yink could quite easily be turned into a semi-clone of some sorts, maybe even take some inspiration from his Hyrule Warriors unique self.
and pichu can't be decloned/luigified? are we serious here? hell could even consider giving him strictly egg moves as his b-moves if they wanted to go the full-on baby pokemon route. sweet kiss sleeps, volt tackle, whatever else(i can't be bothered to look through his moveset). point is, yink is already back in tink. pichu can return as well(and likely will).

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
and yet the pokes you mention became pokeballs, almost down to the last. they were pokeballs back in melee too. pichu actually made it in, and the funny bit is that the biggest obstacle to inclusion is getting in the first time. it's what got roy in. presumably, that's what's getting wolf and pichu in(if they happen).

roy, mewtwo, lucas, they didn't need to happen, but they did. they didn't need to be in because their bases were covered more competently by other characters(the overabundance of fe characters, lucario and various pokes, and ness). pichu and wolf don't need to happen, and their bases are covered more competently by other character as well(pikachu and team starfox), but they're the most likely followups to cloud.

popular or not, it does. not. ****ing. matter.
Yeah, they did. What are you trying to get at ? It doesn't at all mean that what I stated previously (that they represent more important aspects of the Pokemon series than something as miniscule as Baby Pokemon) or that they aren't as popular as Pichu (Because pretty much every single Pokemon listed is multiple times more popular than Pichu), especially considering Pichu only made it in because Melee was a clone hell.

I can agree with Lucas, especially with Ness having all of his moves as customs. But Roy still allowed for a much varied play style compared to Marth and Lucy, and you honestly must have your head in the dirt if you're deluded enough to think Lucario "covered" Mewtwo's presence, especially when the latter is far more popular, a legendary, and not even a clone of Lucario. I guess you're one of those morons who thinks blue ball = purple ball instantly makes them clones? :secretkpop:

Really now? Popularity doesn't matter? Yet you're the same person claiming K Rool and Banjo aren't making it in because of that exact reason. :??::??::??:

Last edited:

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, they did. What are you trying to get at ? It doesn't at all mean that what I stated previously (that they represent more important aspects of the Pokemon series than something as miniscule as Baby Pokemon) or that they aren't as popular as Pichu (Because pretty much every single Pokemon listed is multiple times more popular than Pichu), especially considering Pichu only made it in because Melee was a clone hell.

I can agree with Lucas, especially with Ness having all of his moves as customs. But Roy still allowed for a much varied play style compared to Marth and Lucy, and you honestly must have your head in the dirt if you're deluded enough to think Lucario "covered" Mewtwo's presence, especially when the latter is far more popular, a legendary, and not even a clone of Lucario.

Really now? Popularity doesn't matter? Yet you're the same person claiming K Rool and Banjo aren't making it in because of that exact reason. :??::??::??:
k.rool and banjo aren't making it because they haven't been relevant for the past decade. k.rool is DK's waluigi and a running joke, and is there someone that's honestly going to defend the travesty that was nuts & bolts, that soulless collectathon?

if popularity mattered, we wouldn't have rob. or g&w. or wii fit.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
and pichu can't be decloned/luigified? are we serious here? hell could even consider giving him strictly egg moves as his b-moves if they wanted to go the full-on baby pokemon route. sweet kiss sleeps, volt tackle, whatever else(i can't be bothered to look through his moveset). point is, yink is already back in tink. pichu can return as well(and likely will).
I did not say that.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
k.rool and banjo aren't making it because they haven't been relevant for the past decade. k.rool is DK's waluigi and a running joke, and is there someone that's honestly going to defend the travesty that was nuts & bolts, that soulless collectathon?

The game that sold what, 20-30 million?:rotfl:
Granted, the trainer wasn't exactly requested by Smash fans, but then again...that's why Sakurai is awesome.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
k.rool and banjo aren't making it because they haven't been relevant for the past decade.
Absolute BS. You don't seem to know the meaning of decade.:psycho:

Banjo's last game was in 2008, he appeared in Sonic & Sega Racing in 2010, and it's mobile version in 2011, and appeared in Rare Replay as of this summer. Not to mention his games have been released multiple times, meaning he has had exposure to newer audiences. Moreover, relevancy doesn't matter, as shown by characters like Pit, Diddy, Marth, Roy, and the DH, the latter of which wasn't even an original Nintendo IP. All of these Characters appeared in games in times when they were not even well known.

k.rool is DK's waluigi and a running joke
:laugh::laugh::laugh:Am I supposed to take this seriously? Like wow, not only does this statement have absolutely no logic to it, not only does it reek of unsupported BS, but you're comparing the main villain of the DK series to a spin off side character of the MArio series?
(If anything, Lanky id DK's Waluigi. )

Once again, you display ignorance in calling WFT unpopular, given how well her games sold.

ROB is a goof ball character, much like G&W and DH, and also reps the classic era. You know just as well as I or anyone else that using them and comparing their cases to the likes of K Rool and Banjo is awful reasoning.

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
Oh boy, I can only imagine how this thread will end up on both tomorrow and especially on Tuesday.
I have a sinking feeling that this thread will be on fire by tuesday, given how much of a flame war it is already.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
Absolute BS. You don't seem to know the meaning of decade.:psycho:

Banjo's last game was in 2008, he appeared in Sonic & Sega Racing in 2010, and it's mobile version in 2011, and appeared in Rare Replay as of this summer. Not to mention his games have been released multiple times, meaning he has had exposure to newer audiences. Moreover, relevancy doesn't matter, as shown by characters like Pit, Diddy, Marth, Roy, and the DH, the latter of which wasn't even an original Nintendo IP. All of these Characters appeared in games in times when they were not even well known.
2008 was the aforementioned tragedy of a game. then it's just been side appearances and other nonsense. banjo's no contender. ryu hayabusa has a better chance than that bear, and itagaki ****ing HATES smash. diddy at least was a focus in tropical freeze, marth was covered in awakening, dhd is the retro rep that always shows up in smash(see: g&w, rob). roy was, wait for it, the melee veteran. guess who else is a melee veteran that's missing but is still possible on both system's hardware(hint: he's kinda small).

:laugh::laugh::laugh:Am I supposed to take this seriously? Like wow, not only does this statement have absolutely no logic to it, not only does it reek of unsupported BS, but you're comparing the main villain of the DK series to a spin off side character of the MArio series?
(If anything, Lanky id DK's Waluigi. )
some main villain. so when does he show up in the latest dk games(hint: he doesn't). he's become a spinoff character himself because he's just not important anymore. kinda like how krystal doesn't matter anymore because, guess what, she's ret-gone. and she's the one i actually ****ing wanted in this lineup! at this point the entire dkc series is becoming a side character.

Once again, you display ignorance in calling WFT unpopular, given how well her games sold.
maybe you'll care to point me toward the clamoring for the 'wii fit trainer in smash' thread. go on, i'll wait. not one of 'i was wrong' or 'what a surprise' but 'we demand the trainer from wii fit in smash bros'.

ROB is a goof ball character, much like G&W and DH, and also reps the classic era. You know just as well as I or anyone else that using them and comparing their cases to the likes of K Rool and Banjo is awful reasoning.
they were also wildly unpopular upon their reveals. yet in they came, and in they stayed. the door is open for pichu, he's just gotta step through, same as roy did.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
gonna get worse before it gets better as desperation sets in on all sides.
We're all going to have our certain degrees of saltiness and joy. Hopefully it's the later for me. I haven't had any DLC character disappoint me so far.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
lol, we're not getting anything crazy on tuesday. maybe a melee or n64 or brawl stage but this ****'s done. cloud + pichu + wolf. banjo ain't big enough, rayman ain't good enough, people collectively respond to isaac with "who?", konami has lost their mind so snake stays mia, and there's ****-all else in the running.

he's gonna detail cloud, reveal wolf(brawl vet) and pichu(melee vet) and boom, roster complete, maintenance mode.

prolly 30-45min at most. sayin goodbyes and thanks, maybe an iwata tribute, and then gg.
You don't think the Inklings or some other character no one suspects, like Cloud wasn't expected, is a likely possibility?

Sorry, Pichu isn't very likely. Yes, he's a Melee Vet, but there's also Squirtle & Ivysaur that are Vets from Brawl, either of which could be included and are a bit more popular with the Fanbase and as returning Pokémon Veterans (which I still don't feel are particularly likely since we've already got Mewtwo as a Pokémon DLC Veteran..I don't feel we'll have another).
he brought roy back. pichu's an easy port and even an easy luigification.
You say that, but he's not. Sakurai already said that Melee is too old to port content from now in a previous interview (Mewtwo & Roy were remade). Squirtle & Ivysaur are the ones that would be 'easy ports' since Brawl's code is still viable to use.

lol that roy's re-inclusion was anything but hella-salty. it took a leak and revealing ryu to make roy's reintroduction palatable for a huge amount of peeps. pichu'd be no different, folks'd be thrilled he's back in the same sense of 'oh cool all the vets're back home now'.

do i want pichu? **** no, but it'll happen regardless. just too easy to pass up and tickles the nostalgic melee smasher, just like roy did. who the **** cared about roy before and even during melee? he got the name 'fire marth' for a reason.
For the minority of the Smash Bros. fanbase, it was 'hella salty', the side that cares about things like 'clones' or 'too many Fire Emblem characters', but his return was highly hoped for by many that had played Super Smash Bros. Melee. There's a reason that the devs of Project M saw fit to have him return along with Mewtwo. No one has really been clamoring for Pichu to return and its more likely that whoever is left will be a part of the Smash Ballot (which, while it hasn't been mentioned by Nintendo since closing, the reason for that is they haven't had an appropriate chance to do so since all the Smash News we got since it closed was Cloud's Trailer. Sakurai will almost certainly mention the Smash Ballot during this Special Broadcast.)
Beyond that, I somewhat doubt that they'd have a Broadcast to announce only two Veterans, one of which no one has really wanted. If we were going to get only Veterans, it would be the two that would generate the most hype with Wolf and Snake, considering how popular and beloved they are...but its most likely that we'll get Wolf and a Newcomer of some type, whether or not we'll see it coming is the real question.
I'm OK with the 3DS version existing per se, who cares. But if we lost a character on the WiiU which was perfectly viable for it, it can **** off. Also, it's by far the most boring and unplayable installment of the franchise ever. The moment the WiiU one came out, I never opened my 3DS one again. It's just bad.
I disagree, I love the Nintendo 3DS version. It gives me something fun to play at any time when I'm out of the house and its my favorite game on the Nintendo 3DS. I find it perfectly playable (probably because I can more easily adapt to playing it on something other then a Gamecube Controller)
That said, I also don't care about losing the Ice Climbers..I've never been particularly fond of them and they were honestly my most disliked character inclusion, but that's just how it was for me personally..people can happily enjoy them all they want.

Toad is the character everyone should want.
He's been around for 30+ years and has a proportional amount of ideas to work with for a fun moveset.

You can have Captain Toad.
You can have Toad using abilities from his playable appearances (Super Mario Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros.).
You can have Toad using references to Mario spin-offs (Mario Kart, Mario Party).

There's so much he can do it's not even funny.

And if you don't like plain Toad, Toadette and even Toadsworth easily work as alts. (though if Toad is playable it makes sense for Toadsworth to be her new Neutral B)
While there are Mario characters I'd rather see over Toad, give him a Toadette alt and I'll happily play as them.

I think even Raichu is more likely than Pichu at this point. :026:

Btw, I'd be hyped as **** for Raichu. :026: Imagine him being a :4pikachu: semi-clone who's bigger, stronger, heavier and has a couple of moves borrowed from 64 Pikachu? :pikachu64: Stuff like B Air, N Air, F Throw, D Smash, all that good stuff. I supported this idea for quite some time actually. So IF there's ever an absolute need for a Pikachu semi-clone, give me Raichu then.
I would adore having Raichu, along with Mew its my favorite Gen I Pokémon and amongst my top 4 favorites along with Gardevoir, Mew, and Meloetta.
I was honestly hoping to see Raichu as an alternate costume for Pikachu, if nothing else, but a heavier, stronger Pikachu semi-clone would be great.
We're all going to have our certain degrees of saltiness and joy. Hopefully it's the later for me. I haven't had any DLC character disappoint me so far.
Same here. Even the one I was 'meh' about (Lucas) didn't disappoint me since I knew people wanted him.
In order of Hype though, I'd definitely have to say that it goes...
:4cloud::4mewtwo::4feroy::4ryu::4lucas:

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Everyone's talking about flame wars and how this thread will be in hell, come Tuesday. Whereas I'm still just sitting here, waiting on Wolf... like I have been since Mewtwo's reveal.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Everyone's talking about flame wars and how this thread will be in hell, come Tuesday. Whereas I'm still just sitting here, waiting on Wolf... like I have been since Mewtwo's reveal.
I'm just on the edge of my seat wondering if it'll be the characters we've been predicting or surprise us immensely like Cloud did. Maybe completely predicted, maybe completely surprising, or perhaps a bit of both.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
hey at least i'm willing to take a shot at something resembling conclusive ideas instead of being just trying to say non-things such as 'well banjo might be in! i mean i dunno don't hate me or anything but hey banjo could totally be in' and back it up with analysis.

also, hey mods, where the **** are the infractions for people saying 'snake's totally in, sakurai'll work ~magic~ to make konami not-stupid' or 'colors confirm k.rool!'? they're being no less direct than me.
Simple. It's because for right now, nobody is saying that.

The reason you're getting infracted is because you're acting as if you're trolling, adding...quite frankly nothing new to the discussion, and are being disrespectful to any idea that isn't yours.

I'm a former mod. It's not WHAT you say necessarily. Unless of course you're cursing people out and calling them stupid.

I mean literally every time you've come into the thread, you say literally the same thing and then tell everybody who thinks differently that they're delusional or expecting too much.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Highly doubt any character can suprise us the way Cloud did now that we're expecting any iconic 3rd party character.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Is no one suggesting Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker?

Nintendo did just team up with Disney?

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
You don't think the Inklings or some other character no one suspects, like Cloud wasn't expected, is a likely possibility?
no one on earth expected the likes of roy to return. pichu's in the same exact boat.

Sorry, Pichu isn't very likely. Yes, he's a Melee Vet, but there's also Squirtle & Ivysaur that are Vets from Brawl, either of which could be included and are a bit more popular with the Fanbase and as returning Pokémon Veterans (which I still don't feel are particularly likely since we've already got Mewtwo as a Pokémon DLC Veteran..I don't feel we'll have another).
squirts and ivy are DOA by virtue of charizard existing. pokemon trainer lives on through char, which means squirts and ivy aren't necessary as they were each part of a greater whole.

You say that, but he's not. Sakurai already said that Melee is too old to port content from now in a previous interview (Mewtwo & Roy were remade). Squirtle & Ivysaur are the ones that would be 'easy ports' since Brawl's code is still viable to use.
... but that's what luigification is. roy got luigified, pichu can get luigified.

For the minority of the Smash Bros. fanbase, it was 'hella salty', the side that cares about things like 'clones' or 'too many Fire Emblem characters', but his return was highly hoped for by many that had played Super Smash Bros. Melee. There's a reason that the devs of Project M saw fit to have him return along with Mewtwo.
pm's character selection is what happens when sakurai doesn't temper and reign in the team. seriously? knuckles and lyn? also fe is massively overrated and subsequently overrepped(and nevermind i have actually lost track of marth and lucina mid-match and confused the two). fe characters may be fine in their home series, but in smash they're uninspired animu garbage. hold down+b to counter!

No one has really been clamoring for Pichu to return and its more likely that whoever is left will be a part of the Smash Ballot (which, while it hasn't been mentioned by Nintendo since closing, the reason for that is they haven't had an appropriate chance to do so since all the Smash News we got since it closed was Cloud's Trailer. Sakurai will almost certainly mention the Smash Ballot during this Special Broadcast.)
not even the damn announcement for the direct is mentioning the ballot. if sakurai mentions it, it's gonna be 'thank you for your input, you guys gave cool data', a wave, and then we move on to the next segment. it's the brawl ballot all over again.

Beyond that, I somewhat doubt that they'd have a Broadcast to announce only two Veterans, one of which no one has really wanted. If we were going to get only Veterans, it would be the two that would generate the most hype with Wolf and Snake, considering how popular and beloved they are...but its most likely that we'll get Wolf and a Newcomer of some type, whether or not we'll see it coming is the real question.
they're clarifying cloud and how he works, as well as announcing the end of development. that's big enough for an independent direct as a send-off. the veterans are the icing on the farewell cake.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pichu? Unless we're getting like five more characters I don't see it happening, and remember there's only two slots left.

Also remember that there's six stage slots, but one's Midgar and the other it's Omega. So there's a possibility that we're getting two newcomers and no Wolf... Wolf I don't see being released with a stage.

There's also that mystery stage that fits between Suzaku Castle and Mario Maker... Have my doubts it was Midgar.

Highly doubt any character can suprise us the way Cloud did now that we're expecting any iconic 3rd party character.
To be fair, nobody's expecting Steve on the basis that "he'd be stupid." It'd be fun watching the thread burn if Steve actually did get in...

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post
Simple. It's because for right now, nobody is saying that.

The reason you're getting infracted is because you're acting as if you're trolling, adding...quite frankly nothing new to the discussion, and are being disrespectful to any idea that isn't yours.

I'm a former mod. It's not WHAT you say necessarily. Unless of course you're cursing people out and calling them stupid.

I mean literally every time you've come into the thread, you say literally the same thing and then tell everybody who thinks differently that they're delusional or expecting too much.
someone has to reign in the speculation. otherwise we get dumb **** like 'the colors confirm inklings/k.rool/jesus christ our lord and savior/etc' and the thread becomes either insane wishmongering based on clouds or unreadable drama as fanboys slapfight each other over 'my character's more popular than yours! nuh-uh!'. i back up what i say with reasonable analysis, and people treat me like i'm ********. other people say snake's likely when konami is burning every bridge they can, and they're praised for it. get real.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
Guys one thing I'd like to mention. Sakurai has recently said in his 25th anniversary of fire emblem interview that dlc is ending soon. So I'm hoping whatever we get in the direct doesn't cause a mountain of salt because I'm pretty sure the dlc is done after this.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Is no one suggesting Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker?

Nintendo did just team up with Disney?
Um, out of curiosity, when did those two team up? Considering I'm a huge Disney nut, I don't seem to remember that happening.

The main reason we're not seeing Star Wars is because:
A. It's not a franchise originating from video games.
B. Star Wars has little to no impact on the video game world in the same way other third-parties do.
C. Disney has a tight grip on Lucasfilms' metaphorical balls at the moment.
D. It's not a franchise originating from video games.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
someone has to reign in the speculation. otherwise we get dumb **** like 'the colors confirm inklings/k.rool/jesus christ our lord and savior/etc' and the thread becomes either insane wishmongering based on clouds or unreadable drama as fanboys slapfight each other over 'my character's more popular than yours! nuh-uh!'. i back up what i say with reasonable analysis, and people treat me like i'm ********. other people say snake's likely when konami is burning every bridge they can, and they're praised for it. get real.
People treat you like you're ******** because you're not looking at things from both sides...you're basing your ideals mostly on fan rules and stipluations... 'charizard reps squir/ivy' lolwut...forget the fact that charizard is one of the most popular pokemon in existence and can be argued to be more popular than even pikachu...

Your claims are extraordinarily close-minded...'krool is the waluigi of DK because he hasn't made an appearance in a while' :facepalm:

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
Besides if Nintendo did team up with Disney, it's likely Sora would be a Disney rep (eugh)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The main reason we're not seeing Star Wars is because:
A. It's not a franchise originating from video games.
D. It's not a franchise originating from video games.
Star Wars doesn't happen in order. Star Wars 4 happened before 1. So the video games actually could have happened before the movies in canon.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
There is no way we're ending with ****ing Pichu. They're not having a big direct just to show off a returning semi-clone and a returning pure clone no wants back.

We're getting either Snake or a newcomer, the latter being either first party or third party. If it's first party, then it will be Inklings.

Troykv

Smash Master
This Tuesday will be a interesting day... I'm just hoping for one thing.. But whatever Sakurai shows, probably will be cool :3

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Oh, yeah, I'd have to agree..I don't think anyone would surprise us as much as Cloud has. The only characters I could see being that surprising would be a 1st or 2nd Party from Sony or Microsoft..and I'm pretty sure that one is near impossible (except for, maybe, Banjo-Kazooie).
I just meant someone a bit more surprising then we think are the 'likely' characters.

no one on earth expected the likes of roy to return. pichu's in the same exact boat.
More people expected it then you think..not to mention that Sakurai straight up said that Roy got in due to how much demand there was for him to return. I figured he would return in some fashion, either as an Alternate Costume for Marth or as his own Character.
Pichu doesn't have that Fan Demand that Sakurai straight up said is an important factor for DLC.
squirts and ivy are DOA by virtue of charizard existing. pokemon trainer lives on through char, which means squirts and ivy aren't necessary as they were each part of a greater whole.
You realize that your reasoning here makes little sense. Unlike Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur have unique movesets. Charizard was chosen due to being the most popular of the trio, but that doesn't mean he would be the only one. If a Pokémon Veteran was going to be DLC after Mewtwo, one of them is much more likely then a clone of Pikachu that was never very popular, even though I like Pichu more then the other two.
... but that's what luigification is. roy got luigified, pichu can get luigified.
Roy didn't get Luigified. Roy's moveset stayed the same, it was Marth that changed in Brawl. Pikachu hasn't changed and it seems likely that Pichu wouldn't change.
pm's character selection is what happens when sakurai doesn't temper and reign in the team. seriously? knuckles and lyn? also fe is massively overrated and subsequently overrepped(and nevermind i have actually lost track of marth and lucina mid-match and confused the two). fe characters may be fine in their home series, but in smash they're uninspired animu garbage. hold down+b to counter!
Knuckles is one of the top choices for a second Sonic representative, along with Dr. Eggman, Tails, and Shadow.
Lyn has been highly requested for a Fire Emblem Representative and is also the first Female Lord in the series and would be the first Smash Bros. representative to use a Katana.
Fire Emblem is 'overrated/overrepped/animu garbage'? Careful, your bias is showing.
(Not to mention its rather..dumb..to complain about 'anime' in a game created by Japanese developers considering that's the primary artstyle there..and, even then, its actually the incorrect term..Anime is Animation, like cartoons, Manga is comics..each artstyle is different and unique)
As for 'Down-B to Counter', that was included due to it being an element from the series combat.
not even the damn announcement for the direct is mentioning the ballot. if sakurai mentions it, it's gonna be 'thank you for your input, you guys gave cool data', a wave, and then we move on to the next segment. it's the brawl ballot all over again.
They aren't mentioning much of anything on the announcement aside from 'Cloud and More' the Ballot is probably a part of that 'More'.
The Brawl Ballot got us Sonic, you can't pretend you didn't know that. It likely also got us Mega Man since I'm sure he was very popular on it as well and Sakurai knew that before going into Smash 4.
You're quite the Negative Nancy, aren't you?
they're clarifying cloud and how he works, as well as announcing the end of development. that's big enough for an independent direct as a send-off. the veterans are the icing on the farewell cake.
Not really. If that was the case they honestly would have kept Cloud until the Broadcast and only announced the Smash Broadcast at the end of the Direct.
I usually keep my expectations low, but even I can see that two veterans as DLC, even with one being Wolf, would be a bit of a letdown for the Final Smash Broadcast. The only way two vets as the last announcements would make sense would be if one were Snake..which I don't feel is that likely either.
Yes, it will also be a send off, but Sakurai never does one of these without some sort of juicy info. The last three we've had announced the return of Sheik & Zero Suit Samus along with the announcement of Greninja as a newcomer, then the one after that announced not only Mewtwo as DLC but DLC in and of itself, then we had the announcement of Roy as a Veteran and Ryu as a Newcomer (which was meant to be a huge surprise but was spoiled months in advance).
Yes, lets reign in speculation, otherwise someone might be dumb and speculate on impossible characters like Cloud Strife & Ryu from Street Fighter.
Besides if Nintendo did team up with Disney, it's likely Sora would be a Disney rep (eugh)
Sorry..as you can see from my sig, I actually really want Sora in Super Smash Bros.
Star Wars doesn't happen in order. Star Wars 4 happened before 1. So the video games actually could have happened before the movies in canon.
That's not how originating works.
The characters and series began as Movies, regardless of what part of the canon comes 'first' chronologically.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Star Wars doesn't happen in order. Star Wars 4 happened before 1. So the video games actually could have happened before the movies.
...I can't even find a reaction gif to explain my befuddlement as to how this is even remotely considered funny. Is speculation at this point already, where sh*tposting isn't even witty and clever anymore?

If you aren't joking, I hope you can realize no matter the canonical timeline of the Star Wars franchise, it was a movie first and foremost. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go contemplate my worth and existence.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai said the character needs to originate in a video game. Not the franchise. Just saying.

It doesn't make a Star Wars video game character first likely though.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Sakurai said the character needs to originate in a video game. Not the franchise. Just saying.

It doesn't make a Star Wars video game character first likely though.
While true, I think its fair to say that Sakurai wouldn't include a character unless they were the most iconic character of their franchise (or one of them considering Luke & Darth Vader are about as Iconic as one another).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While true, I think its fair to say that Sakurai wouldn't include a character unless they were the most iconic character of their franchise (or one of them considering Luke & Darth Vader are about as Iconic as one another).
Wasn't saying otherwise. But he still means "characters", not franchises. That's what people need to keep in mind.

Also, to be fair, he actually said "no Manga" characters and laughed at the idea of Cartoon characters. He didn't actually say originate in a video game, but he most likely meant that overall. It's technically a fan rule, but it's a pretty safe one at this point.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Not sure whether the whole "Need to originate from a VG." applies to Nintendo characters though, as R.O.B. technically first started as an accessory then as a VG character with cameos like in Pikmin, F-Zero GX and finally a playable character in Mario Kart DS. Not to mention some of the Pokemon trophies in Melee have their anime designs and Red's trophy in Smash 4 mentions Ash and co.

Just posting this because i've seen people say a character MUST originate from a vg game even if it's a Nintendo character despite us not having solid evidence for the latter.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Not sure whether the whole "Need to originate from a VG." applies to Nintendo characters though, as R.O.B. technically first started as an accessory then as a VG character with cameos like in Pikmin, F-Zero GX and finally a playable character in Mario Kart DS. Not to mention some of the Pokemon trophies in Melee have their anime designs and Red's trophy in Smash 4 mentions Ash and co.

Just posting this because i've seen people say a character MUST originate from a vg game even if it's a Nintendo character despite us not having solid evidence for the latter.
What do u even mean by the pokemon having anime designs in melee? Is there even a difference?

also, you brought up pretty good points.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In before we get Darth Vader and then pandemonium erupts with new suggestions because now "Smash is a celebration of pop. culture and all the big Nintendo characters are in already." :troll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom