• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
At this point I think the final three characters will be announced sometime in November or December, and DLC will be finished. The lack of character announcements have led me to believe they will show all 3 at once and have it be the finale of sorts for the Dlc. Theortically, the 2 characters 2 with the data slots from April should be finished/ extremely close to finish as development time is estimated to take 6-7 months per character.

D

Deleted member

At this point I think the final three characters will be announced sometime in November or December, and DLC will be finished. The lack of character announcements have led me to believe they will show all 3 at once and have it be the finale of sorts for the Dlc. Theortically, the 2 characters 2 with the data slots from April should be finished/ extremely close to finish as development time is estimated to take 6-7 months per character.
Makes sense. Several fan service characters can make three or more. But this would line up with everything. Push can I ask you a question? If it's okay with you? You don't have to Awnser it. But in your option who do you think the final DLC characters will be?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Makes sense. Several fan service characters can make three or more. But this would line up with everything. Push can I ask you a question? If it's okay with you? You don't have to Awnser it. But in your option who do you think the final DLC characters will be?
Shovel Knight, Inklings and no clue on the third character. For SK and Inklings I feel that since the sources are legitimate(not 100% sure on the Inklings source) that those two characters could still be in the game.

My gut is telling me another third party as they really stressed that you could vote for any video game character in the ballot and third parties generate a lot more hype.

Actually the next article on SG is an editorial by me discussing how third parties are the future of Smash, so I might just have that on my mind right now.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Came to that conclusion a little while ago, so I completely agree. I sure hope that Sakurai lets us know when DLC is completely over so that our minds can be put to rest as soon as the time comes...

D

Deleted member

Shovel Knight, Inklings and no clue on the third character. For SK and Inklings I feel that since the sources are legitimate(not 100% sure on the Inklings source) that those two characters could still be in the game.

My gut is telling me another third party as they really stressed that you could vote for any video game character in the ballot and third parties generate a lot more hype.

Actually the next article on SG is an editorial by me discussing how third parties are the future of Smash, so I might just have that on my mind right now.
I'll be sure to check it out when it's up. And I'd love if SK and Inklings made it in as their two. I want in so fine by me. I wish K. Rool could be the third or Wolf. But if it's a third party beside Shovel Knight I'm fine with that especially if it's Shantae as she is one I and a lot of people want in. Thank you for your thoughts it's good to hear your option on this alright thanks for the time,

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Came to that conclusion a little while ago, so I completely agree. I sure hope that Sakurai lets us know when DLC is completely over so that our minds can be put to rest as soon as the time comes...
If Sakurai doesn't ever officially announce the end of DLC then it'll be just like the last couple of months have been; a torturous hell of constant anticipation, impatience, and tears. Except worse, because it'll last forever.

D

Deleted member

I just hope it's soon. Guys I don't care who gets in at this point. I'lll just be happy we finally have the characters.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
If theres only 3 left I dont see them announcing them all at once, imo its either 1 character gets announced of 3 or 3 out of 6 are announced

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
If theres only 3 left I dont see them announcing them all at once, imo its either 1 character gets announced of 3 or 3 out of 6 are announced
Yeah that's true, it could be like how Lucas/Roy/Ryu were suppose to be. One character is announced ahead of the pack and the other two were "surprises".

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I will continue to sit solo in the camp of "Sakurai would spend his year wisely," and only would have signed on for 14 months of extra development if it actually were a substantial amount of extra content. Economically and Psychologically, I cannot see anything else making sense.

Alt costume DLC doesn't pander to the competitive crowd at all. . .
Am I missing the point of this? It sounds like a joke (as in, surely that doesn't matter at all).

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Every day feels more monumental, now that a direct is coming (and we are confirmed for it).

EDIT:
Ah; guess that is how it works then. Had no idea.
This must be why I havnt done it before.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
...like a massive DLC update with a number of characters and much more content, here in time for the Holiday season.
Twenty dollar pack on the way.

D

Deleted member

Maybe.

Masahiro Sakurai: Hello this is Masahiro Sakurai. We've collected. The Smash ballot results and we'd first like to show you this. Please take a look.

*Trailer of Shovel Knight is shown. In action.* Yes Shovel Knight is in he stays true to his game. And we incorporated moves based around him using the shovel blade, plus his relics and other ground based moves. We hope you enjoy him. We'd also like to thank Yacht Club Games allowing us to use him. Thank you.

Masahiro Sakurai: Now Shovel Knight is not are only third party character please take a look. *Trailer of Shantae in action is shown.* Thanks to Wayforward Games we've added Shantae as well her magical abilities, and transformations make her a great addition enjoy her. She also does her belly dancing which is a great touch.

Masahiro Sakurai: *Splatoon music plays.* Ah yes. Please look at this. *Inklings are revealed and shown in action.* We also added Inklings they are unique and their ink gauge goes down. It must recharge before use but enjoy them. And their weapons like Splattershot Jr. And Splat Roller.

Masahiro Salurai: There is two more announcements. *A trailer shows off Wolf and King K. Rool in action.* Yes King K . Rool. And Wolf are in development. Please stay tuned as news about their inclusion will be shown. K. Rool has his trusty Blunderbuss, and can throw his crown. Wolf as his Brawl moveset so he was easy to redo. That's all for today. Thank you. *Screen fades to black. But suddenly comes back.*

Masahiro Sakurai: Just kidding we have one more announcement. *Trailer starts.* *Mario, Link, Mega Man, and Samus are fighting Samus is winning She blocks Mario's forward smash and counters his Fair attempt but suddenly a huge shadow comes over them. Everyone stares in shock as a loud roar is heard and Ridley is shown. *Ridley slashes the competition.* the tag line reads. *Ridley in action is shown sizzle real of all DLC characters tribute to Satora Iwata. All DLC characters get a final shot ending with Ridley.*

Masahiro Sakurai: We've added Ridley we shrank him down and it took work but he's finally in Smash. He can slash and use fireballs for example enjoy him. Oh and as a special treat Ridley will be free DLC and will come unlocked as soon as you play Smash 3DS or Wii U again. This is the end of DLC we hope you enjoyed it these characters will come Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Inklings today. And Wolf King K. Rool at later dates. Ridley once again will be free DLC and is available now.

Masahiro Sakurai: *Bows as Video ends.*

Won't happen but that is going out with a bang right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Character Discussion closed down last week, I'm moving my Isaac moveset prediction here. It's a long post, so I'm sticking it in a spoiler warning to preserve space.

Here's my moveset prediction for Isaac from Golden Sun. I only played the first GS, so no Lost Age moves are included.

Movement: About the ground speed of Link, maybe a bit faster. Moderately heavy, with medium height jumps and generally fast fall.

Jab: 1 simple swing
Dash: Critical Hit motion
Ftilt: Sword parry
Utilt: Upward swing
Dtilt: Sword sweep
These tilts can be used in tandem with each other to make up jab combos on the fly.

Side Smash: Rapid Smash
Up Smash: Mad Growth/Punji
Down Smash: Earthquake

Nair: 360 Spin (like Marth's, but once around).
Fair: Parry like the forward tilt.
Bair: Back spin strike. Changes facing.
Uair: Two slices up, the first combos into the second.
Dair: Two slices down. Has generically downward knockback, but not a true meteor.

Neutral Special: Djinn Unleash
Uses a Djinn to attack in front as a ranged attack. The order is always Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Mercury, and each has a slightly different effect. Once a Djinn is used, it charges Down Special by 1 stage albeit slightly increasing the knockback of moves against Isaac. Can be used only 4 times before having to use Down Special.
Venus: Breaks shields.
Mars: Higher knockback, and smashes at higher percents.
Jupiter: Way faster than the others.
Mercury: Multi-hit hitbox, giving it the highest potential damage.

Side Special: Move
A moving reflector like Palutena's Reflect Barrier mixed with a Gale Strike-like multi-hitbox. Range greatly reduced from Brawl. Like 1/2 of FD.

Up Special: Growth
A 45 degree vine whiplash that doubles as tether recovery. The tip of the attack has a powerful smash hitbox, and is a great option for combo-ing into.

Down Special: Summon Jupiter
Depending on how many Djinns have been unleashed before the using of this move (up to 4), the beam blasted by this move becomes stronger and has a longer range. The final stage is a potent smashing projectile about even in strength to Marth's uncharged tipper side smash.

Final Smash: Ragnarok. Other characters freeze as Isaac casts Ragnarok. The spectral sword falls from the sky, smashing those in its path.

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
To go out with a "bang", I think it would be cool if the developers did this.

1. Add 4 characters, 1 veteran (Wolf) and 3 newcomers

2. More Mii costumes, obviously

3. Offline tournament mode

4. 3 old stages and 3 new stages.

5. Story mode

It's kind of scary talking about the end of Smash DLC or Smash 4 in general. I remember how hyped I was when I saw the Smash 4 unveiling back in 2013 and now we're almost at the end of 2015. Time sure flys doesn't it? :4sonic:

Also, despite all the constant flame wars and backlash about certain characters, It's been cool to vote for characters WE wanted. May the best characters win, or in this case, chosen.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To go out with a "bang", I think it would be cool if the developers did this.

1. Add 4 characters, 1 veteran (Wolf) and 3 newcomers

2. More Mii costumes, obviously

3. Offline tournament mode

4. 3 old stages and 3 new stages.

5. Story mode

It's kind of scary talking about the end of Smash DLC or Smash 4 in general. I remember how hyped I was when I saw the Smash 4 unveiling back in 2013 and now we're almost at the end of 2015. Time sure flys doesn't it? :4sonic:

Also, despite all the constant flame wars and backlash about certain characters, It's been cool to vote for characters WE wanted. May the best characters win, or in this case, chosen.
That sounds a bit much, especially a story mode, not to mention I feel like Wolf won't be in the final batch, but before that

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
That sounds a bit much, especially a story mode, not to mention I feel like Wolf won't be in the final batch, but before that
I'm aware, there is no way Nintendo/Sakurai would want to do that much.
Which is why I said "I think it would be cool"

And about Wolf, I don't really care which DLC batch he comes through as long as he comes back.

D

Deleted member

Despite everything there's not doubt in my mind Wolf is returning. With hopefully King K. Rool coming after.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm thinking we'll get 2 more packs, the first releases in november and comes with 3 characters, 2 are pre ballot and thelast is a ballot choice. The first is Wolf and the second is another newcomer, not that big but maybe they could pass them off as a ballot character and the third would be someone big like K Rool or Isaac, we'd also get a bunch of mii costumes, possibly based on characters highly requested in the ballot that the devs simply decided not to add such as shovel knight. There'd also be 2 new stages, one new and one old and maybe some kind of new mode.

The next pack would release in either Q1 or Q2 of 2016 and would be all ballot characters, massive hype inducing characters, there'd also be new stages based on them and even more mii costumes, there could be some kind of new mode added here too.

I honestly don't think this is too much of a stretch considering how long they've made us wait

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I really hope that eventually WE DO get an Adventure-Esque-Mode into the game...

I want to believe...

:bowser:

D

Deleted member

I'm thinking we'll get 2 more packs, the first releases in november and comes with 3 characters, 2 are pre ballot and thelast is a ballot choice. The first is Wolf and the second is another newcomer, not that big but maybe they could pass them off as a ballot character and the third would be someone big like K Rool or Isaac, we'd also get a bunch of mii costumes, possibly based on characters highly requested in the ballot that the devs simply decided not to add such as shovel knight. There'd also be 2 new stages, one new and one old and maybe some kind of new mode.

The next pack would release in either Q1 or Q2 of 2016 and would be all ballot characters, massive hype inducing characters, there'd also be new stages based on them and even more mii costumes, there could be some kind of new mode added here too.

I honestly don't think this is too much of a stretch considering how long they've made us wait
Sounds about right Wolf and maybe Shovel Knight in pack 1, and King K. Rool and maybe Inklings in pack 2. Stages Tower of Fate. Gangplank Galleon. DLC costumes Shantae, Isaac, Waluigi. And just cause Goku, Shrek, and Freddy Fazbear for Mii Brawler. DLC ending in September 2016. Just before NX launches in November next year.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Sounds about right Wolf and maybe Shovel Knight in pack 1, and King K. Rool and maybe Inklings in pack 2. Stages Tower of Fate. Gangplank Galleon. DLC costumes Shantae, Isaac, Waluigi. And just cause Goku, Shrek, and Freddy Fazbear for Mii Brawler. DLC ending in September 2016. Just before NX launches in November next year.
I was thinking more Wolf, Dixie and Isaac, then K Rool, Krystal and Bandana Dee, mii costumes would include Shovel Knight, shantae, someone from Xenoblade X, someone from FE fates, a couple more costumes based in upcoming games etc etc

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really hope that eventually WE DO get an Adventure-Esque-Mode into the game...

I want to believe...

:bowser:
I dream of a day where I can play as Mario, Link, Olimar. ECT running, Using Mario and his moves like Fire Glove, Fair, Dair, Link's attacks and Olimar's. As I play a Melee esque adventure again. Would be grand.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Well, "speak for yourself" I'd say. The era when everyone was shocked by Snake's inclusion is long gone. Considering we already got Ryu and if we're also getting SK as well like you're suggesting it then the third character will definitely not generate more hype by the virtue of being third-party. If anything people will be hugely disappointed by the fact Inkling would be the only Nintendo newcomer for DLC. Personally I know if the final DLC lineup was SK + Inkling + another guest my satisfaction levels for the rest of Smash DLC would flatten to oblivion.

IMO the "third-parties generate more hype" statement is only going to mean anything if we're not getting more than one more guest as DLC. And even then the fact the only DLC newcomer we got at this point being a third-party combined with the fact the Snake in Brawl hype era is long gone and that they lost most of their novelty appeal at this point make the truth behind this statement questionable in my opinion.

Well, "speak for yourself" I'd say. The era when everyone was shocked by Snake's inclusion is long gone. Considering we already got Ryu and if we're also getting SK as well like you're suggesting it then the third character will definitely not generate more hype by the virtue of being third-party. If anything people will be hugely disappointed by the fact Inkling would be the only Nintendo newcomer for DLC. Personally I know if the final DLC lineup was SK + Inkling + another guest my satisfaction levels for the rest of Smash DLC would flatten to oblivion.

IMO the "third-parties generate more hype" statement is only going to mean anything if we're not getting more than one more guest as DLC. And even then the fact the only DLC newcomer we got at this point being a third-party combined with the fact the Snake in Brawl hype era is long gone and that they lost most of their novelty appeal at this point make the truth behind this statement questionable in my opinion.
I agree. I would also be disappointed if Inkling, SK and another third-party were the final characters (I'm not against Inkling though).

(None of my Top 3 getting in would kill my hype, especially when all 3 are very popular and have no major obstacles against their inclusion)

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Whilst I do agree with your main point, My reasoning is much more different than yours. Whilst I do agree that certain third-party characters can and will generate a lot more hype than most Nintendo newcomer DLC, it has nothing to do with the fact that they are third-party characters as much as it has to do with how big they are. Someone like Snake and Bomberman? Sure I can see how they would generate a lot more hype. But niche third-party characters like Shantae and Shovel Knight? Certainly not. Bigger and more well-known characters among the Nintendo fanbase like Wolf, Dixie, K. Rool, Toad, Bandanna Dee, Inklings and any popular Pokemon characters would definetly get much more hype world-wide due to their popularity and familiarity among Smash fans, more so than the mentioned third-party characters. Those two characters are far too niche for their third-party status to help them generate hype.

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice
I can't see SK and Shantae happening at the same time. It's really hard to only one happening.

I think they will show like 1-2 characters ready to play, and maybe 1-2 more to be released later. Looking foward for this direct.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Whilst I do agree with your main point, My reasoning is much more different than yours. Whilst I do agree that certain third-party characters can and will generate a lot more hype than most Nintendo newcomer DLC, it has nothing to do with the fact that they are third-party characters as much as it has to do with how big they are. Someone like Snake and Bomberman? Sure I can see how they would generate a lot more hype. But niche third-party characters like Shantae and Shovel Knight? Certainly not. Bigger and more well-known characters among the Nintendo fanbase like Wolf, Dixie, K. Rool, Toad, Bandanna Dee, Inklings and any popular Pokemon characters would definetly get much more hype world-wide due to their popularity and familiarity among Smash fans, more so than the mentioned third-party characters. Those two characters are far too niche for their third-party status to help them generate hype.
Building off your point somewhat:

This is something I talk about in my upcoming article (need to do final revision after this post!), but you could make the argument that the best and the brightest Nintendo stars are, for the most part, already represented in the game. I think a third party character like Bomberman or Snake would easily trump most of the characters you list...with the exception of Inklings (who are very, very popular right now. Even my high school students are talking about Splatoon) and maybe Wolf as there are a lot of fans of Brawl (But, let's be honest...if he wasn't in Brawl then he probably wouldn't be such a strong contender for DLC).

After a certain point we are just treading into Nintendo's B-Star territory (Before someone brings up the clones, there are a lot of misconceptions about clones). I know these are the fan favorites in the speculation community, but I've been saying for months that our polling methods are very inaccurate and probably don't represent the bigger Smash community's wishes. Yes, that even includes the polls I've conducted. I honestly don't think Shantae and SK would generate a lot hype outside the Smash community, which is why I keep going back and forth on the SK rumor. However, at least SK has a ton of cross-overs, and Nintendo is treating him like their indie-baby. I would honestly put the indie reps in the same tier as a lot of the Nintendo characters you listed, True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior . Sure they have fans, but we need to remember that we are in a constant echo-chamber.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Since Character Discussion closed down last week, I'm moving my Isaac moveset prediction here. It's a long post, so I'm sticking it in a spoiler warning to preserve space.

Here's my moveset prediction for Isaac from Golden Sun. I only played the first GS, so no Lost Age moves are included.

Movement: About the ground speed of Link, maybe a bit faster. Moderately heavy, with medium height jumps and generally fast fall.

Jab: 1 simple swing
Dash: Critical Hit motion
Ftilt: Sword parry
Utilt: Upward swing
Dtilt: Sword sweep
These tilts can be used in tandem with each other to make up jab combos on the fly.

Side Smash: Rapid Smash
Up Smash: Mad Growth/Punji
Down Smash: Earthquake

Nair: 360 Spin (like Marth's, but once around).
Fair: Parry like the forward tilt.
Bair: Back spin strike. Changes facing.
Uair: Two slices up, the first combos into the second.
Dair: Two slices down. Has generically downward knockback, but not a true meteor.

Neutral Special: Djinn Unleash
Uses a Djinn to attack in front as a ranged attack. The order is always Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Mercury, and each has a slightly different effect. Once a Djinn is used, it charges Down Special by 1 stage albeit slightly increasing the knockback of moves against Isaac. Can be used only 4 times before having to use Down Special.
Venus: Breaks shields.
Mars: Higher knockback, and smashes at higher percents.
Jupiter: Way faster than the others.
Mercury: Multi-hit hitbox, giving it the highest potential damage.

Side Special: Move
A moving reflector like Palutena's Reflect Barrier mixed with a Gale Strike-like multi-hitbox. Range greatly reduced from Brawl. Like 1/2 of FD.

Up Special: Growth
A 45 degree vine whiplash that doubles as tether recovery. The tip of the attack has a powerful smash hitbox, and is a great option for combo-ing into.

Down Special: Summon Jupiter
Depending on how many Djinns have been unleashed before the using of this move (up to 4), the beam blasted by this move becomes stronger and has a longer range. The final stage is a potent smashing projectile about even in strength to Marth's uncharged tipper side smash.

Final Smash: Ragnarok. Other characters freeze as Isaac casts Ragnarok. The spectral sword falls from the sky, smashing those in its path.
I wouldn't start moveset predictions until the character is actually confirmed.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Shovel Knight is Nintendo's third party baby?
Puh-lease. One look at NoA's Twitter shows that they're going full Yokai-Watch.

But our echo chamber only hears that one tweet showing the Shovel Knight amiibo.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I could see them announcing 3 of the 6 remaining, and hint at the other 3 in some way. Maybe with a silhouette, or with some hint during the Direct. But since they're probably going to be the top three winners of the Ballot, I don't think they're ready enough to be shown yet. They're probably going to be released at next E3.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This is something I talk about in my upcoming article (need to do final revision after this post!), but you could make the argument that the best and the brightest Nintendo stars are, for the most part, already represented in the game. I think a third party character like Bomberman or Snake would easily trump most of the characters you list...with the exception of Inklings (who are very, very popular right now. Even my high school students are talking about Splatoon) and maybe Wolf as there are a lot of fans of Brawl (But, let's be honest...if he wasn't in Brawl then he probably wouldn't be such a strong contender for DLC).
Yeah, that's definetly true. Snake and Bomberman have a huge legacy of fans with tons of exposure among a wider gaming audience so the idea that they would easily trump the characters I list makes sense.

After a certain point we are just treading into Nintendo's B-Star territory (Before someone brings up the clones, there are a lot of misconceptions about clones). I know these are the fan favorites in the speculation community, but I've been saying for months that our polling methods are very inaccurate and probably don't represent the bigger Smash community's wishes. Yes, that even includes the polls I've conducted.
Honestly speaking, I'd say pretty most of the most important Nintendo characters were already in Brawl to begin with.

I would honestly put the indie reps in the same tier as a lot of the Nintendo characters you listed, True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior . Sure they have fans, but we need to remember that we are in a constant echo-chamber.
Eh, I disagree. I'd say the only majorly requested Nintendo character on par with them is Isaac. All the other characters I mentioned were notable characters from major Nintendo franchises, which I'd say put them above Shantae and Shovel.

Shovel Knight is Nintendo's third party baby?
Puh-lease. One look at NoA's Twitter shows that they're going full Yokai-Watch.

But our echo chamber only hears that one tweet showing the Shovel Knight amiibo.
He was talking about iShovel Knight being their indie baby.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was thinking more Wolf, Dixie and Isaac, then K Rool, Krystal and Bandana Dee, mii costumes would include Shovel Knight, shantae, someone from Xenoblade X, someone from FE fates, a couple more costumes based in upcoming games etc etc
While I agree with all of this. Shovel Knight and Shantae shouldn't be tossed aside so easily. They maybe underdogs when it comes to getting in Smash. But they do have a strong following. Plus they are relevant indie characters. Nintendo's got a good relationship with both Yacht Club Games, and Wayforward. They could very well still be in.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
While I agree with all of this. Shovel Knight and Shantae shouldn't be tossed aside so easily. They maybe underdogs when it comes to getting in Smash. But they do have a strong following. Plus they are relevant indie characters. Nintendo's got a good relationship with both Yacht Club Games, and Wayforward. They could very well still be in.
I doubt it, the reason they didn't add Takamaru was because his game wasn't available in the west, Shantae and Shovel Knight's games aren't in Japan which is even worse as it's the devs home country

Building off your point somewhat:

After a certain point we are just treading into Nintendo's B-Star territory (Before someone brings up the clones, there are a lot of misconceptions about clones). I know these are the fan favorites in the speculation community, but I've been saying for months that our polling methods are very inaccurate and probably don't represent the bigger Smash community's wishes. Yes, that even includes the polls I've conducted. I honestly don't think Shantae and SK would generate a lot hype outside the Smash community, which is why I keep going back and forth on the SK rumor. However, at least SK has a ton of cross-overs, and Nintendo is treating him like their indie-baby. I would honestly put the indie reps in the same tier as a lot of the Nintendo characters you listed, True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior . Sure they have fans, but we need to remember that we are in a constant echo-chamber.
I don't think SK and Shantae would really cause that much hype, their games sell well for indie titles but as games as a whole there's a lot to be desired, I think new donkey kong or zelda characters would be bigger as they come from bigger series, tons of people love the DK series so K Rool or Dixie would get a lot of Hype from that crowd and a character like Impa would generate a lot of hype for Zelda fans.

I just feel like people are overhyping their popularity and other characters would be more hype inducing simply based on their series

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom