• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Is Japan still in the dark about Shovel Knight? Last I checked the Japanese had very little exposure to the franchise, so much so that many people didn't even know who he was. We all know he has support in the west, but the Japanese's opinion matter just as much, if not more.
Some people were saying, "What's a Shovel Knight?"

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Let's go back to discussing Chibi Robo.
This game might have bombed, but it certainly made the character into a very specific, even unique, fighter; in addition to Sakurai being a fan of the character, I believe he may get in to save his franchise (because by now, Nintendo is starting to slowly wise up to this fact, and other facts about how to leverage their IPs to make money).

I think he is one of the most likely characters.

Peek a boo, chibi sees you, smash ball.

Great, people overrating Shovel Knight in terms of his significance to Nintendo. If any third-party franchise is getting heavily pushed by Nintendo, it's obviously Yo-Kai Watch and yet I don't see tons of people saying Jibanyan is likely because of that despite Yo-Kai Watch being a much bigger franchise over in Japan than Shovel Knight is anywhere. Shove Knight getting an amiibo (one that Yacht Club Games themselves produced and Nintendo merely licensed) no longer means anything considering it's confirmed that any indie character can have an amiibo made for them.

As for Inklings, they don't need a rumour to support them either way as they have plenty of merits to make it in as Smash DLC. They are easily one of the most highly requested characters in general and probably the most highly requested newcomer franchise character in the West (the only newcomer Nintendo franchise character that rivals their demands in the West is Isaac). Over in Japan, they still maintain their high level of requests. They also have great uniqueness potential due to their ink mechanics. Also, Splatoon was such a huge success.
I will come forth and say, the biggest point in Shovel Knight's favor (from my perspective, of course) is how much PushDustIn PushDustIn is adamant about the character being added. He seems to be snooping somewhere he cannot report upon, and I trust him quite much in regard to where his nose leads him.

@GreenKirby
Shovel Knight is the epitome of confirmation bias. Quite literally, everywhere I've even attempted to bring up a conversation on the matter, it nearly dissolves into that very fact, minus the phrase.
The last conversation I tried to open was on this very board, and it ended up convincing me even further that his only merit, as having appeared in many games in his one year of life, has more to do with the Yacht Club being a wealthy company who can afford to push him and make him an amiibo (and ironically, name their company so imperials, to boot!); as I said above, the only factoid that makes me believe in him is the opinion of another user.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Been awhile since I've visited the boards, so for this thread, I apologize if it has been discussed or mentioned.

Like the Mii Fighters costume packs, a "costume" or palette editions to the rooster would be neat as well. To understand this, simply look at Little Mac with his regular and wired looks. Each character gets 8 more colors/costume/different style. (Minus Little Mac since he would already be "complete.")

In some ways you get to add more characters that wouldn't really need their own slot to work on different character slots. Think of Mario Maker style Mario for Mario's extra 8 slots? How about Dry Bowser in Bowser's Slot? With characters like Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, Olimar/Alph and Bowser Jr./Koopalings, it would be a seamless interrogation since "different" characters could have their own voice and sounds. Naturally the rule of thumb is the character would need to be from the same series and REALISTICALLY can use the same moves and what not.

Some characters would probably just have more colors, since they already have an alternative look in there color selection. (Includes Warrior, Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, Olimar ... etc, etc.)

Who wouldn't want Mr. L being an alternative look for Luigi? Maybe Proto Man over Mega Man? (Sure that would take some tweeks with the final smash, but maybe it would not be difficult) Maybe able to get some old veterans like Pichu as Pikachu's Alternate or Young Link with Toon Link (Would be a lot of tweeking ... maybe not as doable)

That way we get a bit of the old, new and then more time and work for completely different DLC characters or other returning old ones! Just an idea I am sure someone else has mentioned ... it would be a neat little surprise and there could be bundles and sets to purchase.

I really want Geno, but I won't be upset if he isn't since Sakurai hates in so much.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Here's a great Alt that should seriously be considered
You know those Cats and Dog and Rabbit's from Streetpass, let's be able to use those as costumes for Mii's so they can be used elsewhere online
Dog's for Swords, Cat's for Fists, Rabbit's for Gun's BOOM done, nobody gets to see offensive Mii's and then those moveset's can be used in other places

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Here's a great Alt that should seriously be considered
You know those Cats and Dog and Rabbit's from Streetpass, let's be able to use those as costumes for Mii's so they can be used elsewhere online
Dog's for Swords, Cat's for Fists, Rabbit's for Gun's BOOM done, nobody gets to see offensive Mii's and then those moveset's can be used in other places
Actually, I'd rather have them:
Swordfighter - Doggy
Gunner - Kitty
Brawler - Bunny
Don't ask y.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think Sakurai discussed something once about making veterans alts, in regard to Lucas...
or something that was applicable, at least.
In short, it was seen as disrespectful to the fans of the veterans. We won't be getting a veteran as an alt (and I honestly think that his statement on such was born out of wanting Lucas, Wolf, Lucina, and others to be alts, but determining he could not do so in good conscience). I personally believe this is why we have the customization of the characters at all.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I think Sakurai discussed something once about making veterans alts, in regard to Lucas...
In short, it was seen as disrespectful to the fans of the veterans. We won't be getting a veteran as an alt (and I honestly think that his statement on such was born out of wanting Lucas, Wolf, Lucina, and others to be alts, but determining he could not do so in good conscience). I personally believe this is why we have the customization of the characters at all.
It's the curse of becoming a clone character that could easily be a costume. Some people would be sad about it.
Which means the three 'free' characters will probably stay as they are, with minor changes each time to make them slightly more different.

Also applies for characters who were made into clones even though they had plenty of potential, the biggest case is obviously Ganondorf. He will probably stay a semi-clone FOREVER. - unless there's a new director.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Actually, I'd rather have them:
Swordfighter - Doggy
Gunner - Kitty
Brawler - Bunny
Don't ask y.
But now I'm curious

Cat people are usually fist/glove fighters cause they have claws, or people who equip gloves get Cat Paws as Weapons

Dog's are usually guards,so they're easily depicted with swords

....There's no good reason for Rabbits to be gunners, Maybe some Looney Tunes related stuff but other wise I got nothing

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
But now I'm curious

Cat people are usually fist/glove fighters cause they have claws, or people who equip gloves get Cat Paws as Weapons

Dog's are usually guards,so they're easily depicted with swords

....There's no good reason for Rabbits to be gunners, Maybe some Looney Tunes related stuff but other wise I got nothing
Agreed with dog.
Because cats are more feminine & the default art for Mii Gunner is a female. Also, Gunners are my fav mii fighter & I'm more of a cat person.
And Bunny for Brawler because it's the irony of such cute little things to then be the fiercest mii fighter.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Agreed with dog.
Because cats are more feminine & the default art for Mii Gunner is a female. Also, Gunners are my fav mii fighter & I'm more of a cat person.
And Bunny for Brawler because it's the irony of such cute little things to then be the fiercest mii fighter.
Maybe .... we.. should be able CHOSE which is what, that... that sounds good.

D

Deleted member

Shovel Knight just needs to be confirmed or deconfirmed so this rumor can die.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
We don't have long till the whole thing is proved farce, why not just ignore it? (I'm currently losing my sanity over it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It was about Dr. Mario actually, not Lucas

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I actually predict this will be the DLC now:

Wolf
Waddle Dee
Chibi-Robo
Some third-party character

This probably seems like the most likely outcome imo. I mean they're all relevent and have something to promote at the very least.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I actually predict this will be the DLC now:

Wolf
Waddle Dee
Chibi-Robo
Some third-party character

This probably seems like the most likely outcome imo. I mean they're all relevent and have something to promote at the very least.
I can see that happen.

Except instead of Chibi someone like K Rool or Inkling...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Which third-party character, well it should be someone iconic, someone that has a close relationship to Nintendo, and someone who is relevent.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Place ya bets Lady's and Gents
When where there be a Direct
in the 10-20's or the 20-30's

D

Deleted member

To me it's dead. He's deconfirmed I want him in. He's still one of the characters I support but this thing just needs to end. To the people who still believe the rumor in give them an Awnser.

Guys I don't think this is going to happen. But do you think they might not talk about the Sma4sh in the Direct? We need news. But what if they decide to hold it off.

Joseppo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yosemite_JIT
Place my bet in the 10-20's, I think that Nintendo will make their announcements before Black Friday, although I don't know if they'll reveal something that will come out so soon after the direct, but whatever, just following my gut instinct.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
After this rumor is over does anybody believe that everything will go back to normal, or has the damage been done?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I mean they're all relevent and have something to promote at the very least.
DLC. Characters. Have. Not. Been. Added. For. Promotional. Purposes.

Guys I don't think this is going to happen. But do you think they might not talk about the Sma4sh in the Direct? We need news. But what if they decide to hold it off.
That'd be as stupid as not showing Zelda U at E3 despite having some footage to share of it. I don't think Nintendo want to make mistakes like that again. They don't even need footage for Smash. Just to say "We've finished counting the votes and are working on the character(s)." Best case is that plus "In the meantime take a look at this." *cuts to trailer of a new character to be released soon*

Joseppo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yosemite_JIT
To me it's dead. He's deconfirmed I want him in. He's still one of the characters I support but this thing just needs to end. To the people who still believe the rumor in give them an Awnser.

We just need a character model and a text with "X is on the way!". I would consider myself satisfied with this, without any actual footage. I don't think that's difficult to get in a month more or less.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
DLC. Characters. Have. Not. Been. Added. For. Promotional. Purposes.

That'd be as stupid as not showing Zelda U at E3 despite having some footage to share of it. I don't think Nintendo want to make mistakes like that again. They don't even need footage for Smash. Just to say "We've finished counting the votes and are working on the character(s)." Best case is that plus "In the meantime take a look at this." *cuts to trailer of a new character to be released soon*
They aren't, but they're still relevent.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I wonder what happens if I lose the bet.
I'm going with 10-20's because I'm blindly hoping that Nintendo will try to end the drought as soon as possible and it just makes sense. I'm kinda expecting to end up being wrong though, Nintendo is known for making dumb business decisions all the time, but hey, maybe if I bet on it, some crazy miracle will happen and Nintendo will do what what's best for them for a change :p.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm not betting again. Not after the shame of having a Dora avatar.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We can all discuss Nintendo making "poor business choices," but when it counts- they always pull through. We are all clearly pretty big fans of the brand, and they have yet to lose their integrity by selling out with games which fall out of the family friendly model. Successful business with integrity in the business model? Winning company.

Icedragonadam Icedragonadam That is one fierce Dora Avatar you have going on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I trust PushDustin 100% when it comes to these kinds of things. He's a very levelheaded and wise person. So if he still believes the leak still then he's got good reason to and probably knows it could be true.

Yeah you guys are right I hope they put footage of a new character or just say a veteran or newcomer is coming. Or talk about the ballot something, cause we need something.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think Chibi-Robo makes alot of sense now that I think about it, considering all the **** he's been through I think Nintendo should owe up and give him some attention.

D

Deleted member

I'll just say this I adore Shovel Knight. If he gets in I'll be happy. He's a fun and unique character and I'd main him in a heartbeat. As for Chibi-Robo he'd be awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll take your word for it. Despite everything he's a character that deserves a shot.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I trust PushDustin 100% when it comes to these kinds of things. He's a very levelheaded and wise person. So if he still believes the leak still then he's got good reason to and probably knows it could be true.

Yeah you guys are right I hope they put footage of a new character or just say a veteran or newcomer is coming. Or talk about the ballot something, cause we need something.
Like I said in the post, on the speculation side of my mind....I don't believe in Shovel Knight. I feel he misses a lot of the so called requirements (Arguably not carrying video game history with him). However, DLC might be very different from normal roster selection and Sakurai might see this as an opportunity to expand the special guest.

That being said, the only thing I know that you guys don't is who Tamaki's source is. I know that the source is legitimate, and as of right now...there is no reason to doubt them. I believe the rumor has been reported on entirely. Personally, I wouldn't really want SK in Smash because I've been against the whole notion of having an indie representation just for the sake of having indie representation, but in the end I'm sure that if SK is in the game I will buy and enjoy him. Hopefully the game will be released in Japan sometime soon.

For SK in Japan, he's become more familiar with the Smash community in Japan due to the rumors. This is not different from other candidates that were propelled by rumors like Sonic in Melee, Chorus Men with Gematsu, Rayman with Omni, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom