• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I truly think Chibi Robo will get in as advertisement; but not for a specific game, just for the characters popularity to grow as a series, for the franchise to stay alive and thriving.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It's releasing November 19th and while not likely, her inclusion in smash could possibly promote the game in Japan. That's all just baseless speculation but it's not impossible. And about Takamaru, there's really no way to compare his popularity in the west to Shantae's in the east.
First off, that's her first and only game in Japan and smash bros is very rarely used to promote things, the only thing you could say it did was Roy who was a quick clone and wooly world because they needed a console yoshi stage. Also, you're stating that Shantae has popularity in the East and you've yet to show anything proving this

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Despite Shantae's game not releasing , I think she has a likely chance of appearing in the game.

It's a global smash ballot. The west has bough more Smash4 games than the East, so 1 DLC character that not many in one region know about shouldn't be such a megaton problem as some make it out to be.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Considering the kind of third-party characters we have gotten, I highly doubt Shantae's inclusion. She's hardly the most highly requested character in the West nor is she a stand-out third-party character with great significance nor iconicness.

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
AGAIN with people overestimating Shante's popularity?

And no, she's not popular. Because if she was, there would be proof of her perceived popularity. She just has confirmation bias with her. Same with the Chorus Kids when they were part of a rumor.

Hell, we already have two NINTENDO characters who fight with their hair Dixie Kong and Midna. And I'm sure they have stronger following among Nintendo fans.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

And no, she's not popular. Because if she was, there would be proof of her perceived popularity. She just has confirmation bias with her. Same with the Chorus Kids when they were part of a rumor.

Hell, we already have two NINTENDO characters who fight with their hair Dixie Kong and Midna. And I'm sure they have stronger following among Nintendo fans.
She also has the advantage of being able to re-use assets from Diddy, similar to how Wolf used assets from Fox, to save time, money and effort. Also, unlike Shantae, those two characters being Nintendo-owned means Nintendo won't have to split any profits made from them as hypothetical DLC with a different company.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

While Shantae did get a sizeable increase in popularity after Bozon accidentally implied Shantae was in, Shantae did still have quite some fans

D

Deleted member

I think she does have popularity. Maybe not as much as certain characters. But she does have it.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Considering the kind of third-party characters we have gotten, I highly doubt Shantae's inclusion. She's hardly the most highly requested character in the West nor is she a stand-out third-party character with great significance nor iconicness.
I assume you also think similarly of Shovel.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
The whole Shantae/Shovel Knight topic bores me. Especially the flame wars these two cause.

I don't want them in but I wouldn't mind if they did but I think other characters that have been requested since the Melee/Brawl should make it in, especially over these two.

Also, comparing SK and Shantae to the likes of Mega Man, Sonic, Pac-Man, Ryu and even Snake is like comparing a house to a mansion. Let these two get more popularity, then we'll talk.

"I'm not letting just any 3rd party character in this game" - Sakurai 2013

However, I'm not Sakurai/Nintendo so anything I say is literally nothing, also I'm not trying to convince their fans to stop believing, just telling them to keep this in mind.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Both Shantae and Shovel Knight are mildly interesting characters, but I can't imagine that they would take any precedence over any of the more popular 1st party characters, like Wolf for example(I'm still waiting for him to make a comeback). But whatever happens, I guess. I won't really complain either way......not too much anyway.....

D

Deleted member

One way or the other I hope the new character is unveiled soon.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
There's rumors floating around saying that there might be a direct on the 12th. I'm not holding my breath for anything, but we'll see.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah I heard. Probably fake. But we will get something soon I'm sure. But probably not next week.

D

Deleted member

Maybe we could get something on the anniversary of SSB for Wii U release (November 21, November 28 or December 6)?
Did they ever have big announcements during aniversry's of games?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I dont think SK or Shantae will get in because....

They're a non-japanese game developers property.

There hasnt been a single Western/ European company to get a rep.

Probably the same reason they won't budge for K. Rool.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

You DO realize K.Rool not only is owned by Nintendo but was also made by the same people who made Diddy Kong?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There's rumors floating around saying that there might be a direct on the 12th. I'm not holding my breath for anything, but we'll see.
Theres only two weeks left between thanksgiving and now- the likelihood we will get a direct in that time frame is very high on all accounts; the unfortunate thing about the '12'th' is that any time that week would make people think it is correct, when that is one of two weeks we are most likely to get a direct.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Probably because that 4chan direct fan wishlist disguised as a fake leak said in an edit something along the lines of: "May be delayed to the 12th because Nintendo hates leaks!"
Did they ever have big announcements during aniversry's of games?
Little Mac reveal happened on some Punch Out anniversary if I remember correctly.

.......And that won't can't change in your opinion because?

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869

Not that I care about K. Rool, but isn-
You DO realize K.Rool not only is owned by Nintendo but was also made by the same people who made Diddy Kong?
Nevermind. :4greninja:'d

D

Deleted member

King K. Rool's got a huge following in every country. He's extremely popular, and is a villian that should be added. He has a good chance. But he might not be added too. Personally I feel he's a lock at this point but we'll see.

I hope we get it within those two weeks.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Hey now, we can't have people mistaking me for a Shovel Knight supporter, young lady!
I know, otherwise I'd have said nothing or that you were a Butt Butt fanboy dreaming of him being real asking you to bend over or something.

I personally like both Shovel Knight and Shantae, though I highly doubt both even have a chance of getting in Smash

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I know, otherwise I'd have said nothing or that you were a Butt Butt fanboy dreaming of him being real asking you to bend over or something.

I personally like both Shovel Knight and Shantae, though I highly doubt both even have a chance of getting in Smash
Guys, I literally said why the rumours are fake yesterday, there's no reason to continue discussion as they've been debunked by YGC themselves.

Ikenna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IkennaSmash
I wish I could still do smash ballot I really wanted to vote for antasma. :(
Yeah. I didn't want to vote for Elma until the ballot ended. I only became interested in her after, actually. I'm not too bothered since there are older characters from long-released characters that should take priority. Next possible Smash Bros. game it is then.
I really don't trust leaks and I don't like leaks because it spoiled the surprise. Anyway, we know that Sakurai can't work forever on updating the game with DLC characters and other content. Unfortunately, Sakurai can't make everybody's dream character come true. Maybe next time when Smash 5 come in the future one day, which I'am really unsure if he going to work on the fifth one, he could reveal a couple of characters who people want for years on the next Smash. I won't get salty if the rest of the remaining DLC characters are going to be characters that I never know who are highly requested. I will just congratulate those who got their wishes come true.
Now you know how I feel when people keep bringing up confirmed/unconfirmed leaks. Yeah, I wouldn't be mad if it turns out that I don't really want the winning DLC characters. I'd just keep playing. Sometimes, I wonder if a few people invested in the ballot still play this game.

:4miisword:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yeah. I didn't want to vote for Elma until the ballot ended. I only became interested in her after, actually. I'm not too bothered since there are older characters from long-released characters that should take priority. Next possible Smash Bros. game it is then.

Now you know how I feel when people keep bringing up confirmed/unconfirmed leaks. Yeah, I wouldn't be mad if it turns out that I don't really want the winning DLC characters. I'd just keep playing. Sometimes, I wonder if a few people invested in the ballot still play this game.

:4miisword:
I play many games more often than Snash Bros. The first game still has more playtime from me than any of its successors.
I still enjoy character speculation immensely.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Don't sleep on the girl with the whirl

She's a very highly requested fighter. While her popularity isn't as high, it's there and she has relevancy on her side, baby

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Don't sleep on the girl with the whirl

She's a very highly requested fighter. While her popularity isn't as high, it's there and she has relevancy on her side, baby
I think her chances are great, the only thing that worries me though is her similarities to Diddy.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I think her chances are great, the only thing that worries me though is her similarities to Diddy.
What Similarities?

Outside of design and size, she rarely shares anything with Diddy. Maybe she'll have a few similar normals like maybe Nair, Up-Tilt and maybe Down-Smash but she ain't even close to being similar to Diddy outside of skeletal model

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
What Similarities?

Outside of design and size, she rarely shares anything with Diddy. Maybe she'll have a few similar normals like maybe Nair, Up-Tilt and maybe Down-Smash but she ain't even close to being similar to Diddy outside of skeletal model
Other things include the Bubblegum Blaster, Kong Roll, and bananas, lotsa bananas! (Plus more) I think she could be more unique than a Diddy semi-clone, even more unique then Luigi is to Mario.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I can't see her being anymore of a clone than Wolf, maybe Lucas at the very least. Like she could reuse his running, crouching, jumping, idle, hitstun, items etc animations and maybe have a couple of derivative moves but the rest would be unique. He'd just be a base for them to work off of, plus balancing would be way easier as you could just balance her according to Diddy like Lucina, Doc and Dark pit did rather than the whole cast.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Dixie moves in an extremely similar manner to Diddy... even in DKC the main distinguishing points in their gameplay are in their aerial traits. The two in disjunction would be inappropriate.
I can't see her being anymore of a clone than Wolf, maybe Lucas at the very least. Like she could reuse his running, crouching, jumping, idle, hitstun, items etc animations and maybe have a couple of derivative moves but the rest would be unique. He'd just be a base for them to work off of, plus balancing would be way easier as you could just balance her according to Diddy like Lucina, Doc and Dark pit did rather than the whole cast.
So... they wont be similar, except for those numerous examples which greatly affect gameplay...(and of course they would be similar in stats such as weight, height, and even power)...and enough to make them test balance off of each other the way that they balance clones...

So, she would, in fact be a semi clone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom