• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
I feel as if Dixie would take the Wolf route in her design; meaning, she'd fundamentally be a clone but would have enough differences to stand out as her own character. Her chances at making it in are pretty decent though I personally wouldn't put her above the other heavily requested characters. I would also assume if we got Dixie and Wolf back-to-back people would be rather disappointed, I know I would be.

D

Deleted member

I can only see a couple of her postures, and moves copying Diddy, with the hair whipping, bubblegum popgum, and other things. She has things to set her apart. But might have some of Diddy's moves. But Dixie Kong would be gradually different.

For Dixie it isn't a question of can. She obviously can be unique. Extremely easily.

It's a question of will. I would hope Sakurai and the team would use her abilities to the fullest but who knows. Not us that's for sure.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
If they are lazy she will be a clone. If not...then unique.

Dixie can go both ways. Other characters such as Impa have the same problem, but both deserve in.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Dixie moves in an extremely similar manner to Diddy... even in DKC the main distinguishing points in their gameplay are in their aerial traits. The two in disjunction would be inappropriate.

So... they wont be similar, except for those numerous examples which greatly affect gameplay...(and of course they would be similar in stats such as weight, height, and even power)...and enough to make them test balance off of each other the way that they balance clones...

So, she would, in fact be a semi clone.
I just said that by comparing her to Wolf and Lucas though and I wouldn't exactly say a running animation or a hitstun animation "greatly effect gameplay". Plus Weight, speed and power can all be altered, she could even be given stronger aerials and a worse ground game.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong was already planned as a non-clone once, so that would show that they're willing to give her her own moveset. She'd probably have stats comparable to Diddy Kong, but with less weight and possibly speed.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Dixie Kong was already planned as a non-clone once
Source? We never actually got anything on how she would work in Brawl outside of being a possible tag team thing with Diddy.

I think that Dixie wouldn't be a semi-clone for one reason: Ballot. There's no deadlines holding Sakurai back so he can create something unique with ease

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Source? We never actually got anything on how she would work in Brawl outside of being a possible tag team thing with Diddy.
Well, putting together a tag team with two characters using the same moveset would be a massive waste.

Though, I'll admit the possibility of Dixie either being planned as a clone of another character, or having some cloned properties from Diddy.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I really love the idea of a Diddy and Dixie tag team as an in-between for transformation characters and the Ice Climbers. You change them up with down-B, but they're both always on screen, and their moves change based on who's in charge. Would make Diddy a much more interesting character imho.

D

Deleted member

I'd rather just have Dixie Kong playable. She deserves her own spot. I keep getting this feeling Shovel Knight will be confirmed soon. Don't know why. Probably just nothing. I will be stolked if he does. But it's probably nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'd rather just have Dixie Kong playable. She deserves her own spot. I keep getting this feeling Shovel Knight will be confirmed soon. Don't know why. Probably just nothing. I will be stolked if he does. But it's probably nothing.
The rumor means nothing, it's farce, it's been debunked, nada, nutin' tah see here. But Dixie does deserve her own slot imo.

D

Deleted member

The rumor means nothing, it's farce, it's been debunked, nada, nutin' tah see here. But Dixie does deserve her own slot imo.
It's not the rumor. Like I've said I believe it to be dead. But I get a sneaking suspicion he's coming. Call it a hunch. But like I said it's probably nothing so no worries.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If Dixie were not a clone, it would be an a mistreatment of the character in regard to the vocabulary* Smash Bros has established. We cannot go around with characters like Mario/Luigi, Fox/Falco/Wolf, and Ness/Lucas, with Diddy and Dixie not sharing a certain amount in common. I would not only expect Dixie to be a clone ("semi-clone" to some people), but I would be let down if she were a completely unique** character. It just doesn't have any merit as a decision.

*A World vocabulary is essentially what makes a fantasy or otherwise created world believable. This is accomplished, primarily, through setting up rules and boundaries within the world (such as gravity) and establishing that it is always in place.
In contrast, worlds that do not have this tend to feel cheap and easy (unplanned), wherein, say a writer of a TV series, will write in a Deus Ex Machina (God interference right before the end) to justify the story.

**This is to say, if she had a unique playstyle which differed greatly from the base set of Diddy. A "gimmick" (I'm a big fan of these, they are essentially a hypothesis on a character played out in development), or move set that differed too much from one another, would be to disregard the way the two actually play in DKC. If she cannot be described as "like Diddy but ___," it doesn't fit.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's not the rumor. Like I've said I believe it to be dead. But I get a sneaking suspicion he's coming. Call it a hunch. But like I said it's probably nothing so no worries.
Oh, a hunch? Huh, well maybe it means something, I could be wrong but who knows.

D

Deleted member

Oh, a hunch? Huh, well maybe it means something, I could be wrong but who knows.
Trust me it's probably nothing. My hunch usually turn out wrong. Anyway so don't worry. Besides he's very unlikely at this point. Which although heartbreaking is most likely true.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Trust me it's probably nothing. My hunched usually turn out wrong. Anyway so don't worry. Besides he's very unlikely at this point. Which although heartbreaking is most likely true.
You know what, I'm gonna play SK so I can see what the hype is all about, I bet he'd probably possibly be in the next Smash Bros if his franchise is successful, but I'm gonna play the game so I can see what the hype about it is all about.

D

Deleted member

You know what, I'm gonna play SK so I can see what the hype is all about, I bet he'd probably possibly be in the next Smash Bros if his franchise is successful, but I'm gonna play the game so I can see what the hype about it is all about.
You may not end up liking it. But have fun.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There is no reason for the hype. I just bought the game and it is fun... but its nothing all too pressing as a game. The best words to describe it are "Echochamber," and, "Confirmation Bias," as @PushDustIn and @GreenKirby have respectfully pointed out. I would also add a phrase regarding them paying their way to the publicity... but I have no manner of confirming they did this (...yet).

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You may not end up liking it. But have fun.
Why, the 3DS version got universal acclaim so I don't see why I wouldn't, plus I'm a huge fan of platformers.
There is no reason for the hype. I just bought the game and it is fun... but its nothing all too pressing as a game. The best words to describe it are "Echochamber," and, "Confirmation Bias," as @PushDustIn and @GreenKirby have respectfully pointed out. I would also add a phrase regarding them paying their way to the publicity... but I have no manner of confirming they did this (...yet).
So the hype is fake, false hype eh?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Why, the 3DS version got universal acclaim so I don't see why I wouldn't, plus I'm a huge fan of platformers.
It has received a lot of publicity.
I've yet to find a review that is so stellar that it says anything more than "play the game."
What is this 'universal acclaim,' to which you speak.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It has received a lot of publicity.
I've yet to find a review that is so stellar that it says anything more than "play the game."
What is this 'universal acclaim,' to which you speak.
A 90 on Metacritic. The 3DS version has this.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It seems more to be "a game without many bad points," as opposed to a game with many particularly good points.
I agree, nobody seems to be saying that it has flaws, 10/10s everywhere, this video shows that it actually has some, albeit, minor flaws.
If it were perfect then there'd be no room for improvement, and nothing is perfect.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I agree, nobody seems to be saying that it has flaws, 10/10s everywhere, this video shows that it actually has some, albeit, minor flaws.
If it were perfect then there'd be no room for improvement, and nothing is perfect.
I'm only a little bit in; but that is the point for me. It did not inspire me to want to play it more and more. It was rather disalarming in its general...and I say this specifically because of the way it sounds to even read the word aloud... averageness.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm only a little bit in; but that is the point for me. It did not inspire me to want to play it more and more. It was rather disalarming in its general...and I say this specifically because of the way it sounds to even read the word aloud... averageness.
I've also heard that it's pretty easy.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
If Dixie were not a clone, it would be an a mistreatment of the character in regard to the vocabulary* Smash Bros has established. We cannot go around with characters like Mario/Luigi, Fox/Falco/Wolf, and Ness/Lucas, with Diddy and Dixie not sharing a certain amount in common. I would not only expect Dixie to be a clone ("semi-clone" to some people), but I would be let down if she were a completely unique** character. It just doesn't have any merit as a decision.

*A World vocabulary is essentially what makes a fantasy or otherwise created world believable. This is accomplished, primarily, through setting up rules and boundaries within the world (such as gravity) and establishing that it is always in place.
In contrast, worlds that do not have this tend to feel cheap and easy (unplanned), wherein, say a writer of a TV series, will write in a Deus Ex Machina (God interference right before the end) to justify the story.

**This is to say, if she had a unique playstyle which differed greatly from the base set of Diddy. A "gimmick" (I'm a big fan of these, they are essentially a hypothesis on a character played out in development), or move set that differed too much from one another, would be to disregard the way the two actually play in DKC. If she cannot be described as "like Diddy but ___," it doesn't fit.
I don't see the logic. >.< So what if there are clones in already.
And whats wrong with having different standard attacks than Diddy. Would look similar due to them being monkeys but would be different, especially if she uses hair to hurt.

I disagree with you completely.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
On Shovel Knight: The game's rise to success was riding the wave of NES style games. The game isn't timeless because its a fad by nature. I also don't expect it will do well in Japan because they didn't have the fad. It is riding the times but it will be forgotten for the same reasons. There are other indie games that have been more successful because they make a good game, not an OK game that looks like Megaman 2.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
On Shovel Knight: The game's rise to success was riding the wave of NES style games. The game isn't timeless because its a fad by nature. I also don't expect it will do well in Japan because they didn't have the fad. It is riding the times but it will be forgotten for the same reasons. There are other indie games that have been more successful because they make a good game, not an OK game that looks like Megaman 2.
Meanwhile games like Symphony of the Night and Cave Story are forgotten for having similar stuff to Metroid. Shovel Knight might have gotten all this praise because *gasp* It's a good game! Before yelling 'It looks like other games' keep in mind that Shovel Knight's supposed to be a homage but is still enjoyable, it's doing the same thing Yooka Laylee, Mighty No. 9 and Bloodstained are attempting. Breathing life in a otherwise niche formula of games

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Meanwhile games like Symphony of the Night and Cave Story are forgotten for having similar stuff to Metroid. Shovel Knight might have gotten all this praise because *gasp* It's a good game! Before yelling 'It looks like other games' keep in mind that Shovel Knight's supposed to be a homage but is still enjoyable, it's doing the same thing Yooka Laylee, Mighty No. 9 and Bloodstained are attempting. Breathing life in a otherwise niche formula of games
But those are all intended as spiritual successors to preexisting franchises.

Yooka Laylee=Banjo Kazooie
Mighty No. 9=Mega Man
Bloodstained=Castlevainia

Shovel Knight isn't a spiritual successor.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Well, I think Shantae and the Pirates Curse is a much better game than Shovel.

Looks far better too, with a mixture of retro and new styles. I just don't want butt butt in because 1) It's only 1 good indie game 2) I don't find his potential movset exciting in any way and 3) Cranky Kong is more recognizable and has the better pogo stick.:troll:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
But those are all intended as spiritual successors to preexisting franchises.
In that case, I'm pointing fingers at Freedom Planet, a game similar to old school Sonic games which has gotten positive feedback. Did it get said feedback because it reminded them of something people have played before, or because people genuinely enjoyed the game?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
In that case, I'm pointing fingers at Freedom Planet, a game similar to old school Sonic games which has gotten positive feedback. Did it get said feedback because it reminded them of something people have played before, or because people genuinely enjoyed the game?
Because people genuinely enjoyed the game.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
In the words of Yahtzee "I have never owned an NES, so If I liked Shovel Knight it can't be working of Nostalgia alone" as I only have nostalgia for stuff like Red Dwarf

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Actually the rumor's dead anyways, we don't need to discuss it anymore, but we can discuss the character involved if you guys want.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
What characters aren't really discussed here? I want something refreshing. Tired of same old indies/dk/3rdparty/brawl veterans...

Last edited:

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice
What characters aren't really discussed here? I want something refreshing. Tired of same old indies/dk/3rdparty/brawl veterans...
How about Isaac? Andy? Ray MK III? Chibi? Bandana Dee? There are plenty of characters to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom