• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I doubt it, the reason they didn't add Takamaru was because his game wasn't available in the west, Shantae and Shovel Knight's games aren't in Japan which is even worse as it's the devs home country
Actually yes, that's true, he was actually heavily requested in Japan, (Much like how Shantae and Shovel Knight are heavily requested in the West) but was scrapped because of the fact that his game was unknown to American audiences, and was cut. So if that's the case then that would mean that the whole thing about Shantae and Shovel Knight being in the game should be proved bunk, as Wayforward's director said that he knew nothing about the ballot and that he was just sharing the picture of him and Sakurai as a memory, even though if he's their director he should know about her being in the game, and YGC has stated several times that SK isn't in the game, implying that they're both false.

D

Deleted member

I guess your right I still hope your right. Oh and Nintenzilla first of all love the Jibanyan avatar. But second the rumor was debunked yes. But Splatoon is one of the best things going on Wii U. With it's immense popularity and fondness for Inklings. I could very well see them getting in. No based off the rumor.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I guess your right I still hope your right. Oh and Nintenzilla first of all love the Jibanyan avatar. But second the rumor was debunked yes. But Splatoon is one of the best things going on Wii U. With it's immense popularity and fondness for Inklings. I could very well see them getting in. No based off the rumor.
Inklings, I could see them getting in Smash 5, I see this because there are alot of other characters that have been anticipated by others, so Nintendo may want to give them a shot before they bring in the Inklings. Also, thanks for the complement on my avi! :)

D

Deleted member

Anytime. Hope you get the game sadly weather's bad around my place so I'll have to wait but it'll be Yo- Kai time for me soon too.

Looked at Tamaki's twitter seems mad at the Smash fan base. Dude 's a self righteous prick. Who acts like a child at times. Maybe we should tuck the little baby into bed. Does he need a bottle? No but that's wrong I won't badger the guy. He's cool and I wish him well. Sorry Tama would never talk down about you. Anyway yeah I still think Inklings could get in now. But maybe Smash 5.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I'm excited for the next direct, mostly out of curiosity of how the masses will react to any DLC announcements. I know this is technically not the first DLC, but it will be the first DLC requested by fans of the game. We were hyped for every DLC up until now because they were all unexpected, but this time is different. This time we'll be entering with a certain expectation from Nintendo. I'm sure everybody has noticed now, but the community is very divided right now in terms of who they supported in the Ballot.

Will people still get hyped even if their character isn't chosen? Will any future announcements produce an insane amount of salt from the audience? Find out next time on DBZ.

P.S. I was just thinking about this because I'm almost positive that Inklings as a character would definitely make people salty af. I'll just say this now as an Inkling supporter, I don't care >;P

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Anytime. Hope you get the game sadly weather's bad around my place so I'll have to wait but it'll be Yo- Kai time for me soon too.

Looked at Tamaki's twitter seems mad at the Smash fan base. Dude 's a self righteous prick. Who acts like a child at times. Maybe we should tuck the little baby into bed. Does he need a bottle? No but that's wrong I won't badger the guy. He's cool and I wish him well. Sorry Tama would never talk down about you. Anyway yeah I still think Inklings could get in now. But maybe Smash 5.
You know what, I have to say that I unfortunatly agree with you. He takes way too much pride in himself and when something bad happens to him, he doesn't just let the problem fix itself, no, instead he decides to go on Twitter and tell everyone that he's upset because things aren't going his way, I mean I get that he's stressed but doing that isn't the right thing to do. I think that we best ignore him, what he wants is attention and he's getting it because of his behavior, so the best thing to do in this case is ignore the problem.

D

Deleted member

Let's hope for the best. We can speculate but the Direct holds the awnsers.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
The way I see it whatever we get for DLC will be one of two extremes and we'll all say we were foolish to think otherwise:

1. We get the (somewhat) disappointing version where we get 3 characters, like the data mining suggests, they aren't loved by everyone for various reasons, with a limited amount of characters you simply cant please everyone or even hit all the wanted "types" of characters (indy, particular series rep, veteran, 3rd party etc...). smash DLC ends for good and thats that. We all agree we should have expected it no matter what the case saying things like "shovel knight was leaked shoulda known he was in" or conversely "of course indy and 3rd party character werent getting in from the ballot" basically everyone is a prophet in hindsight.

or

2. We get a lot more characters and stuff than we are expecting, as in we get 3 that were worked on pre-ballot and more to come from the ballot choices totaling somewhere around 6. theres more stages and even game modes and stuff, nintendo has realized with amiibos and DLC the smash is a cash cow and theres no reason to make sakurai work on this game for a whole year after except to make a ton of DLC... and then everyone says we should have called this that it was simply the profitable correct business choice to add so much DLC and how could smash not be the nintendo series with the most DLC, the ballot proved they wanted to please fans and hype the game with fan requested characters why wouldn't they go all out and blow us away?

But right now in the dead zone of info and with two extreme versions of what could happen, both of which seem rather likely (we'll all say we should have known and it was obvious we'd get alot of DLC or not much DLC mattering to what we end up getting) it's nerve racking wanting to get excited while also wanting to hold back so as not to be disappointed since both scenarios seem equally likely...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
While I agree with all of this. Shovel Knight and Shantae shouldn't be tossed aside so easily. They maybe underdogs when it comes to getting in Smash. But they do have a strong following. Plus they are relevant indie characters. Nintendo's got a good relationship with both Yacht Club Games, and Wayforward. They could very well still be in.
When we put into how much of a strong following they actually have into question, it seems no one can generate an answer that is not circumstantial.
Neigh, I say, to the fact that they truly have a strong following, particularly in comparison to other characters.

papagenos papagenos I've tried to call #2 on a number of factors; quite literally, cannot even generate a conversation on the topic of us getting more than a couple of new characters. Seems to be the most unpopular idea; I choose to believe it is the masses acting in fear of belief for such a brilliant and possible move into a large DLC update.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Who is up for Birdo as a stronger, slower Yoshi clone?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If Nintendo cannot come up with a more unique idea for a clone that being stronger/slower or faster/lighter, I'm over it before it began; its great to have versatility to play styles, but we can get that without an entirely new character- that seemed to be the point of such customization.
Even better than a variation on a play set... is an entirely new play set. If this cannot be done with a new character, unless the character itself is one of the few true characters we could overall agree is a Nintendo All Star.... I say leave it alone.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
When we put into how much of a strong following they actually have into question, it seems no one can generate an answer that is not circumstantial.
Neigh, I say, to the fact that they truly have a strong following, particularly in comparison to other characters.

papagenos papagenos I've tried to call #2 on a number of factors; quite literally, cannot even generate a conversation on the topic of us getting more than a couple of new characters. Seems to be the most unpopular idea; I choose to believe it is the masses acting in fear of belief for such a brilliant and possible move into a large DLC update.
It's almost certainly out of fear of getting over hyped, which I understand and am trying to avoid myself from doing.

However, like I said, I can see getting a small amount of DLC being just as likely as the scenario where we end up getting a ton of DLC. After all when you think about what people would say afterwards they are equally "should have called that" inducing.

I think theres a large number of factors pointing towards a lot of DLC being the "smart" and profitable choice for nintendo, whether or not they do it is yet to be seen. The very fact we had a ballot at all and sakurai has been working on the game this long points to an optimistic amount of DLC. Of course in a community where getting "burned" has happened so often (cut veterans, not getting highly requested characters like ridley, even stuff like ganondorf still not using his sword) It's hard to get excited and assume we really will get a bunch of DLC based on what the fans actually requested.

I understand the pessimism thats set in over the years and how it's safer to think that way but when talking about what we could "realistically" be getting with the rest of this games DLC... being extremely optimistic and expecting a lot might be just as "realistic" an outlook this time around.

but hey maybe not so I'm afraid to get hyped too haha

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's almost certainly out of fear of getting over hyped, which I understand and am trying to avoid myself from doing.

However, like I said, I can see getting a small amount of DLC being just as likely as the scenario where we end up getting a ton of DLC. After all when you think about what people would say afterwards they are equally "should have called that" inducing.

I think theres a large number of factors pointing towards a lot of DLC being the "smart" and profitable choice for nintendo, whether or not they do it is yet to be seen. The very fact we had a ballot at all and sakurai has been working on the game this long points to an optimistic amount of DLC. Of course in a community where getting "burned" has happened so often (cut veterans, not getting highly requested characters like ridley, even stuff like ganondorf still not using his sword) It's hard to get excited and assume we really will get a bunch of DLC based on what the fans actually requested.

I understand the pessimism thats set in over the years and how it's safer to think that way but when talking about what we could "realistically" be getting with the rest of this games DLC... being extremely optimistic and expecting a lot might be just as "realistic" an outlook this time around.

It's ludicrous to me that people refuse to even discuss it. Sakurai is a developer known for not desiring working on sequels, who took an ample amount of time to accept responsibility for Smash DLC (almost certainly in contract negotiation), and who was in ill health before the production. He has spent an entire year of extra time, 1/3 of the time the actual game took, to develop DLC. To completely disregard any economic and psychological favor regarding a more extensive amount of DLC makes it feel as though the entire Smash community had a stroke. We have almost no reason to even assume that we are only getting three characters, aside from the slots we currently have in the game. In other words, we only have reason to assume we are getting at least 3 characters. Almost all sensibility would point to more, regardless of what be the result.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master

This remembers me the Bias Talks (?)

Shovel Knight is Nintendo's third party baby?
Puh-lease. One look at NoA's Twitter shows that they're going full Yokai-Watch.
Supposedly Jibanyan is owning the Japanese polls. Would not be surprised if it happens.

Sure... after we get Kamek. (Because we all know it's going to happen someday.)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Supposedly Jibanyan is owning the Japanese polls. Would not be surprised if it happens.
...according to WHAT? The poll has been closed for some time, and as our resident expert poll taker @PushDustIn even clarified (after making the most extensive tracking poll for Smash that exists on the interweb) there is no true way to really gauge what is "leading the polls," much less in any region in a specific time frame. Couple this in with out complete and utter ignorance as to how the poll is being utilized, and you can confirm there is absolutely nothing legitimate about this post.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Jibanyan gets added. I'll be very happy! Probably not now. But I love that red cat favourite Yo-Kai so if he comes to Smash 5! Yeah I'd be stoked.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
JIbanyan... a character who would be just as obnoxious as Shovel Knight in addition.
I should prepare for the possibility, just on my own distaste for it alone.

D

Deleted member

*Shrugs.* Well we don't have to buy the or use the characters we don't like. I like all of me. But others who don't don't need too.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Eh Yokai Watch is like Rhythm Heaven in how it's been received in the Japan. I guess third party rules make it kinda not the same thing but they have similar merits overall. They both are kinda newer choices that don't have developed followings (aka "not iconic").

I mean I would be slightly disappointed if we got a Rhythm Heaven rep (and Jibanyan tbh even though i'm interested in the game)...but both series are much closer to Nintendo than SK is.

@Kremling Man It's true that we can ignore characters we don't like, but that doesn't excuse characters from getting in if they don't have merit. We definitely have the right to criticize the devs for odd choices.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I see your point. But I still hope peeps enjoy them. Ether Jibanyan or Professor Layton as Level-5 rep.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
User was warned for this post
I really want Wolf back. This is totally Brawl main bias, but l want to say Wolf's return would matter to me more than a newcomer (although l heavily support Phoenix Wright and Prof. Layton). I really can't play Falco in SSB4 and Fox always felt strange to me, but l love their tools. Wolf's attributes and attacks just felt good for me, not to mention his personality (which is why l'll always play Dark Pit over the normal one). Sakurai, please.

Besides, Marth has a Roy skin and look at what we got. Fox has a Wolf skin, so..................................

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Wolf seems like lock at this point. So expect him soon.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Hope Elma gets a Trophy in Smash once Xenoblade X is out

I doubt it, the reason they didn't add Takamaru was because his game wasn't available in the west, Shantae and Shovel Knight's games aren't in Japan which is even worse as it's the devs home country

I don't think SK and Shantae would really cause that much hype, their games sell well for indie titles but as games as a whole there's a lot to be desired, I think new donkey kong or zelda characters would be bigger as they come from bigger series, tons of people love the DK series so K Rool or Dixie would get a lot of Hype from that crowd and a character like Impa would generate a lot of hype for Zelda fans.

I just feel like people are overhyping their popularity and other characters would be more hype inducing simply based on their series
Actually, Shantae DOES have a significant fan base in Japan and Shantae and the Pirate's curse is getting a physical release in japan later this month.

Last edited:
Except it hasn't released in Japan yet so that's irrelevant and i doubt her japanese fanbase is much bigger than Takamaru's was in the west
It's releasing November 19th and while not likely, her inclusion in smash could possibly promote the game in Japan. That's all just baseless speculation but it's not impossible. And about Takamaru, there's really no way to compare his popularity in the west to Shantae's in the east.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
I really don't trust leaks and I don't like leaks because it spoiled the surprise. Anyway, we know that Sakurai can't work forever on updating the game with DLC characters and other content. Unfortunately, Sakurai can't make everybody's dream character come true. Maybe next time when Smash 5 come in the future one day, which I'am really unsure if he going to work on the fifth one, he could reveal a couple of characters who people want for years on the next Smash. I won't get salty if the rest of the remaining DLC characters are going to be characters that I never know who are highly requested. I will just congratulate those who got their wishes come true.

Last edited:
...according to WHAT? The poll has been closed for some time, and as our resident expert poll taker @PushDustIn even clarified (after making the most extensive tracking poll for Smash that exists on the interweb) there is no true way to really gauge what is "leading the polls," much less in any region in a specific time frame. Couple this in with out complete and utter ignorance as to how the poll is being utilized, and you can confirm there is absolutely nothing legitimate about this post.
A bit insolent in the way it was said, but you do make a good point. Just because there are "Japanese poll results" floating around on places like r/smashbros and Nintendo Everything doesn't mean they're actually reliable wagings of how the ballot went in Japan.

D

Deleted member

Oh my gosh Shantae's totally coming to Smash.

Everyone Else: No.

D

Deleted member

I believe she's coming.
Ahem. Please don't hate me for this. I am a huge supporter I want her in. But just because her game is getting localized in Japan does not mean. She's getting in. King K. Rool, Wolf, Bandana Dee, Isaac, should take top priority over her.

Again I support her I want her in. I'd be stolked if she gets in. But her chances are well although high. Doesn't mean she will get in.

Ahem. Please don't hate me for this. I am a huge supporter I want her in. But just because her game is getting localized in Japan does not mean. She's getting in. King K. Rool, Wolf, Bandana Dee, Isaac, should take top priority over her.

Again I support her I want her in. I'd be stolked if she gets in. But her chances are well although high. Doesn't mean she will get in.
I know. She's just the ONLY dlc character I want. If she didn't get in I'd be fine if at least we got Vaati from LoZ but I don't see that happening.

With how often I change my Avi and sig I wonder how many people don't realize it's me and have never put the personas together.

Characters have pretty much never been used as advertisement. It is good advertisement but that isn't the point. And with the ballot being over, the Japanese release pretty much means nothing.

And honestly, when it comes to (third party) advertising opportunities, Jibanyan would destroy Shantae

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Hope Elma gets playable in Smash once Xenoblade X is out
Fixed that for you. ^^

The only character i see as likely at this moment is Wolf. However i wouldnt call him a Shoo-in.
I admire some of you guys for your optimism but still...

Joseppo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yosemite_JIT
With how often I change my Avi and sig I wonder how many people don't realize it's me and have never put the personas together.

Characters have pretty much never been used as advertisement. It is good advertisement but that isn't the point. And with the ballot being over, the Japanese release pretty much means nothing.

And honestly, when it comes to (third party) advertising opportunities, Jibanyan would destroy Shantae
Don't worry oni, we all recognize you.
You can't hide from us :evil: (Just kidding...?)

About the advertising topic, I think the inclusion of a character shouldn't be based in advertising a new game. Yes, the character can be advertising a new game, but I think they shouldn't include it just because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom