• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin F.

Smash Master
The Super Mario Bros. series was only about 6-7 years old, it's not my opinion, that's a fact. It was also the early days of gaming in general, nothing was considered iconic yet back then. Stop pushing your own agenda and trying to create a revisionist history

It's YOUR opinion that Steve is an iconic character as well, so now you're being a hypocrite too
Yes, it is a fact that Mario as a series was 6-7 years old then. About as old as Minecraft, if you consider the alpha in 2009, which is why I chose that year. That's not what I was calling an opinion.
Mario was not an icon.
This is what I was referring to.

And yes, it's my opinion that Steve is considered iconic. I never said it wasn't or that it was wrong to have one. What I said was:
To present your opinion as fact without sources to back it up
So to clarify, the statement wasn't that your argument was an opinion and mine wasn't. It was that you didn't back your opinion up with any facts to try and prove it. I'm sorry if my particular wording made it difficult to understand, it's easy to overlook little qualifiers like that.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Somebody's never heard of an example... Really dude, my point is that what any one of us think about Steve or any character really is irrelevant. He's popular though, and has requests in the ballot.
Your example involves slandering a character that doesn't deserve it. Productive conversation nor a good point comes from that.
Case in point, I would rather Ignore someone being standoffish with me for no reason. And I shall.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it is a fact that Mario as a series was 6-7 years old then. About as old as Minecraft, if you consider the alpha in 2009, which is why I chose that year. That's not what I was calling an opinion.

This is what I was referring to.

And yes, it's my opinion that Steve is considered iconic. I never said it wasn't or that it was wrong to have one. What I said was:

So to clarify, the statement wasn't that your argument was an opinion and mine wasn't. It was that you didn't back your opinion up with any facts to try and prove it. I'm sorry if my particular wording made it difficult to understand, it's easy to overlook little qualifiers like that.
What are you even saying here? Nothing, this response says nothing. You ignore that in the eighties and early nineties, the gaming industry in general was so young that nothing was considered iconic, not even Mario or Pac Man

Minecraft is not iconic, at least not yet, and besides, sales do not equal iconic status, there plenty of games that haven't sold twenty million but can still be considered icons, because their legacy dictates it, such as Metroid. Minecraft has no legacy yet

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
gonna laugh so hard when the ballot's revealed to just be useless. there's been zero movement on it. no mention, no feedback, no hints, not a ****ing thing and yet all yall ****** are arguing up a class 6 hurricane in tryin to justify banjo/inklings/what-the-**** ever.

cloud + wolf + pichu dawgs.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
This thread has taken a turn for the worst, and the last time I'll ever come to this thread and my final contribution is my response to what I'm grateful we've gotten as DLC so far:

Firstly: My most wanted character in Smash finally being playable - :4feroy: . Actually, let me expand upon that and say the veterans that we have now :4lucas::4mewtwo: have put a smile on many faces, knowing that they're most wanted Veteran is back and they can rest easy.

Secondly: Cloud.:4cloud:A newcomer after a long, and understandable silence from Nintendo, and a character that I've known since my childhood (And I just found my old Final Fantasy VII game as we're tidying up the storage truck, all with the 3 Discs intact. Nostalgia... Still hyped for the Remake...) Although this thread has turned on its head and I feel that it's become far too hostile for my liking, (And I will confess, I don't see the big appeal for Halo or Master Chief, as I've distanced myself from Xbox entirely, being a Sony/Nintendo kid) Having a dream character like Cloud has made Smash something interesting. A celebration of all-stars.

Thirdly: The fact that we were given the chance to say what characters we wanted through the initiation of the Ballot, for a whole 6 months. I know that all of my most wanted were given a strong and powerful voice in the Ballot's lifetime, and with that, and the potential clearance that might reveal at least one of them (Like K. Rool, Isaac, Inklings) I know that I will be satisfied with a common voice that I shared with others who wanted these characters.

And now, I bid this thread adieu.

SonicMario

Smash Master
The thing that's difficult about choosing a second Sonic rep would be who. The most long-standing and noteworthy characters are Eggman and Tails -- the main villain and sidekick. But then Knuckles is actually a fighter who would be at home in this game and he's definitely the 4th most recurring in the series. Then Amy comes close after and Shadow is a fan favorite. Overall if they made any full-fledged newcomer for Sonic, I would bet on Eggman since he is the most differentiated from the Sonic cast. If this were to be the case, I simply thought making the other popular characters we've seen that can use spindashes and homing attacks could be fitting as alts.
Eggman would be a certainly interesting newcomer (As I Imagine he'd work something like Bowser Jr.) but I personally think they'd add one of Sonic's friends before Eggman. We got Luigi before Bowser after all. And Tails himself is the most iconic Video game sidekick next to Luigi (And the fighting games the Sonic series has proves Tails can fight just as well as Knuckles. It shouldn't entirely matter that they look like a more natural fighter when we've already had plenty of unorthodox additions)

The problem with making characters like Tails and Knuckles alts is they have abilities that Sonic isn't able to do. Restricting them to things that what only Sonic could do is taking away what people hope to do as these characters in Smash. If Tails and/or Knuckles got playable in Smash. People will want them to be able to fly/glide (Or climb in the case of Knuckles) when playing them and won't like it if they can't. There'd be nothing wrong with having the character at least share Spin Dash (Tails' spin dash would probably be faster, possibly more multi-hits, but less damage. Knuckles would be slower, less multi-hits, but stronger)

Shin F.

Smash Master
What are you even saying here? Nothing, this response says nothing. You ignore that in the eighties and early nineties, the gaming industry in general was so young that nothing was considered iconic, not even Mario or Pac Man
Of course it doesn't, it wasn't intended to say anything. It was merely intended to clarify the meaning of my previous post.
Minecraft is not iconic, at least not yet, and besides, sales do not equal iconic status, there plenty of games that haven't sold twenty million but can still be considered icons, because their legacy dictates it, such as Metroid. Minecraft has no legacy yet
I was originally going to ignore anything else you posted (including the above paragraph), but you brought up a valid point here. Metroid. Now there's an example that supports your argument. Good job. I acknowledge that age and legacy can make an icon where sales might not.

That said, I still believe that age is only part of the equation. While I acknowledge that it is a factor in a game becoming iconic, I do not believe it to be strictly necessary, nor do I believe it to be a bigger factor than exposure. While Samus is an icon, I would say she is not as iconic, as, say, Master Chief, who has been around for a lesser amount of time than Samus but has a larger following due to greater exposure in more recent years.

Even if we consider this, what age is necessary for a game to be considered to have a legacy? Ten years? Fifteen? Thirty? How is such a thing defined, especially in such a young industry? Where is the line? Seems incredibly subjective. I would argue that 6-7 years of unwavering popularity and growth is enough for Minecraft.

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Eggman would be a certainly interesting newcomer (As I Imagine he'd work something like Bowser Jr.) but I personally think they'd add one of Sonic's friends before Eggman. We got Luigi before Bowser after all. And Tails himself is the most iconic Video game sidekick next to Luigi (And the fighting games the Sonic series has proves Tails can fight just as well as Knuckles. It shouldn't entirely matter that they look like a more natural fighter when we've already had plenty of unorthodox additions)

The problem with making characters like Tails and Knuckles alts is they have abilities that Sonic isn't able to do. Restricting them to things that what only Sonic could do is taking away what people hope to do as these characters in Smash. If Tails and/or Knuckles got playable in Smash. People will want them to be able to fly/glide (Or climb in the case of Knuckles) when playing them and won't like it if they can't. There'd be nothing wrong with having the character at least share Spin Dash (Tails' spin dash would probably be faster, possibly more multi-hits, but less damage. Knuckles would be slower, less multi-hits, but stronger)
I understand what you mean. It was just an idea to help include multiple Sonic characters. I don't consider this likely by any means necessary. I might be biased because I would like more villains, but there's something about Eggman that makes me think he would be more unique to the roster as a whole and has just as many merits as Tails and arguably more than Knuckles, since he's the main villain. If we were to get two, I would think Tails and Eggman no doubt. But if we were to get only one newcomer, it could go either way if I had to guess.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don't understand the obsession with making moves work slightly differently just because. Oftentimes we end up with things like Mario being an upgrade to Doc because of it... Actually, it's probably what sunk customs because they just usually made minor tweaks without really thinking about the end result, leading to things like Heavy Skull Bash or Extreme Balloon Trip.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
This thread has taken a turn for the worst, and the last time I'll ever come to this thread and my final contribution is my response to what I'm grateful we've gotten as DLC so far:

Firstly: My most wanted character in Smash finally being playable - :4feroy: . Actually, let me expand upon that and say the veterans that we have now :4lucas::4mewtwo: have put a smile on many faces, knowing that they're most wanted Veteran is back and they can rest easy.

Secondly: Cloud.:4cloud:A newcomer after a long, and understandable silence from Nintendo, and a character that I've known since my childhood (And I just found my old Final Fantasy VII game as we're tidying up the storage truck, all with the 3 Discs intact. Nostalgia... Still hyped for the Remake...) Although this thread has turned on its head and I feel that it's become far too hostile for my liking, (And I will confess, I don't see the big appeal for Halo or Master Chief, as I've distanced myself from Xbox entirely, being a Sony/Nintendo kid) Having a dream character like Cloud has made Smash something interesting. A celebration of all-stars.

Thirdly: The fact that we were given the chance to say what characters we wanted through the initiation of the Ballot, for a whole 6 months. I know that all of my most wanted were given a strong and powerful voice in the Ballot's lifetime, and with that, and the potential clearance that might reveal at least one of them (Like K. Rool, Isaac, Inklings) I know that I will be satisfied with a common voice that I shared with others who wanted these characters.

And now, I bid this thread adieu.
Agreed...This is getting ridiculous; all the slandering, name-calling, character-bashing...I miss the days when this was all just some friendly speculation...We need this Smash Broadcast...and we need it SOON!

(btw...also agreed on Cloud and Roy)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What am I most thankful for with DLC? The ballot by far. For Sakurai (perhaps pushed by Iwata) to open up such an outlet for the fans to present ideas and characters to him after years of not doing that (last time was Japan exclusive and in 2005) is just incredible. It could all go to crap if the actual suggestions get *laughed* at and ignored, but from where I'm sitting right now, it's a wonderful feeling to believe that fans might get a tiny fraction of a say in the roster of the series they've supported for so long.

Distant second is Mewtwo. Tiers can go take a Shadow Ball to the face. I don't care, I just love him and his play style.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
User was warned for this off-topic post
I don't understand the obsession with making moves work slightly differently just because. Oftentimes we end up with things like Mario being an upgrade to Doc because of it... Actually, it's probably what sunk customs because they just usually made minor tweaks without really thinking about the end result, leading to things like Heavy Skull Bash or Extreme Balloon Trip.
I'd say this if all of Doc's moves that worked different outside of Nair and Uair weren't OBJECTIVELY BETTER than Mario's.

The reason Mario is an upgrade is because he moves faster and his recovery is more reliable as a result of his movement speed. Moves have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
User was warned for this off-topic post
I'd say this if all of Doc's moves that worked different outside of Nair and Uair weren't OBJECTIVELY BETTER than Mario's.

The reason Mario is an upgrade is because he moves faster and his recovery is more reliable as a result of his movement speed. Moves have nothing to do with it.
It's the same principal applied to an entire character. Doc is about two or three tiers below Mario and even in situations where he's "just as good" matchup-wise things are more volatile because his recovery is worse, and this isn't the type of game where being volatile is good.

That's not to say he's worthless however, but there's a reason people vastly prefer normal Mario.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
It's the same principal applied to an entire character. Doc is about two or three tiers below Mario and even in situations where he's "just as good" matchup-wise things are more volatile because his recovery is worse, and this isn't the type of game where being volatile is good.

That's not to say he's worthless however, but there's a reason people vastly prefer normal Mario.
You said moves. As in, buttons. Doc's buttons are basically all direct upgrades. I don't know what else to say!

It's the same principal applied to character attributes would be a more accurate version of that. But even then Dr. Mario has specific matchup usage so a better example would be Dark Pit or Lucina, either or really. Moreso the latter.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Well, I see it differently. Take a look at :4sonic: and :4mewtwo: , arguably the two most powerful smashers in base form, yet they go up against characters like :4villager::4duckhunt: and:4wiifit:, who aren't even legit fighters.

I don't really think :younglinkmelee: would work as a clone, even if revamped, because that would give us three links. I mean, MAYBE if :4link::4tlink: and :younglinkmelee: Link were made to be more like :4mario::4luigi: and:4drmario: or like :4fox: :4falco: and:wolf:, it could be possible, but for the most part, I feel like Toon Link does a well enough job representing a younger, more agile version of Link, and that a 2nd one would not be necassary.

The Fierce Deity himself is extremely popular despite making a big appearance in only one game, as he was featured in HW, TH, and even as one of Link's alts in Smash 4. So him appearing as a full playable character as opposed to simply a FS would be more appealing to the majority instead of people of getting a 3rd Link. I just think if the Zelda series is gonna get another version of Link, it can at least be more unique than :younglinkmelee: or :4tlink:
I wasn't talking about bring back :younglinkmelee: as a clone, that slot was completely taken by :4tlink:, I was talking about :younglinkmelee: returning with a completely, or almost completely, revamped moveset more based on a mix of his unique items and attacks from Majora's Mask and how he played in Hyrule Warriors, as a 2-Handed Sword User, only using the Great Fairy Sword or Gilded Sword instead of the enlarged Kokiri Sword like in Hyrule Warriors. His Final Smash would then be Fierce Deity Link, keeping his status as THE most formidable and nearly broken character in the History of the Zelda Franchise.

Doing it like I stated there would ensure that :younglinkmelee: would NOT play like :4tlink: or :4link: but rather have his own unique moveset while still feeling true to his character. If you were unaware, when :younglinkmelee: used the Great Fairy Sword in Majora's Mask and his moveset in Hyrule Warriors is based on how :linkmelee: used the Biggoron Sword in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which is also where Fierce Deity Link got his attack style.

Regardless of whether we used :younglinkmelee: or Fierce Deity Link, it would still be a 3rd Link and a new moveset based on the Biggoron Sword playstyle of :linkmelee: in Ocarina of Time.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, amidst all the immense speculation, weird character choices, and impatience for the Smash Broadcast, I have a question for you all.

What are you most grateful for since DLC started back in April? It could be anything DLC related; Characters, Stages, and Mii Costumes.

For me personally, it would be the inclusion of both :4mewtwo:& :4feroy:in the game. Both characters were among my 2 most requested characters to return to Smash Bros before the game was released and I was very happy to have both back. :younglinkmelee: I also wanted to see return but that ship has sailed unfortunately. Stage wise, i'm happy to see all the N64 stages return in the game. Hope to see Melee stages get some love in the future though (Poke Floats plz Samurai).
Most grateful? Mewtwo. He stands above both Roy and Lucas for me, even though I was overjoyed having both of them back as well. Mewtwo was with King K.Rool and Isaac my most wanted character before speculation really began. He might be totally flawled as a competitive character, but he's at least there. He might not exactly be that much better than in Melee, but he's at least more fun to play as now. That does count for something I'll admit.

Roy and Lucas come next. As I was a big fan of both FE6 and Mother 3. I also supported Lucas getting into Brawl, even if I always did prefer Ness' playstyle and character. Roy is beautifully de-cloned to. Yes, it was somewhat expected especially with Lucina also being there, but I think Roy is one of the better semi-clones of the roster now. Definitely not 'Fire Marth'.

I also really like the N64 stages being brought back. Am still hoping for Saffron City, Planet Zebes, and the Great Fox stages. Yes it's somewhat of a let down that these stages are still N64- quality (I wouldn't want anything else for Kongo Jungle 64 however!) but I guess that's part of their charm.

All the other stuff so far has been underwhelming for me. But I guess I do like the Black Knight Mii costume. Anything from Tellius I whole heartly support. :4myfriends: FE9 & FE10 remakes when?

EDIT: Also, Steve from Minecraft IS NOT an iconic gaming character. Return to Minecraft at once and never come back please.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Your logic was a slippery slope fallacy because you are stating if smaller franchises within the Nintendo community aren't relevant because most Nintendo fans don't know them, then larger icons in gaming such as Cloud, Ryu and Megaman must not be relevant because most "general gamers" don't know them and so on.
Ok, first off. That's not slippery slope fallacy.

Second, you misunderstood what I said, that wasn't my point. The point I was making was how "less relevant" characters made it into Smash to prove how weak an argument "relevance" is.

Like I said in the last post, you are moving the goalposts by changing the definition of a relevant character to one that the general public would know. You ignored my example of the Mario Bros being "pop-culture" icons which is a higher standard than "gaming" icons.

Pop culture icons are relevant to anyone who is exposed to pop culture, gaming icons are relevant to anyone exposed to gaming.

However, gaming icons are usually divided by the genre or system a player is exposed to. Most people who play CoD or Halo will have trouble listing Nintendo characters. And conversely, most Nintendo fans will have trouble identifying Kratos or Master Chief. Are we suddenly assuming that these characters aren't relevant because only a section of a community knows them?

Even so, owning a Nintendo console doesn't mean you know what every series is. The group of asian teenagers (excuse me if this is a tad racist) had one who could identify every Pokémon playable in Smash, but failed to identify characters such as Kirby. This is probably because he only played specifically Pokémon or possibly because he knows Pokémon as a pop culture icon itself.
I'm not changing definitions, I'm addressing the fallacy in misusing the meaning of a term to make it purely subjective.

And in the second part of this, you're proving my point, relevancy is a purely subjective experience.

There is no way to qualify "relevance" in purely objective terms. You state Kratos and Master Chief as irrelevant based on my statements, but miss the entire point, that identifying them as relevant or irrelevant is a futile endeavor. What criteria are we using to qualify this category? Kratos in fact has NOT had any games this gen, so by the criteria of some people around here, that would qualify as less relevant than other characters.

Likewise, where is the merit for impact within the industry in regard to this?

Is relevance referring to how recently a character has had a major release? Or to the impact within the industry? Mega Man for example qualifies in the latter and not the former, yet, you believe Master Chief to be relevant, thus, which is more relevant?

What about characters who'll have NO lasting appeal? Like Shulk. If you've played the XB games, you'll know he's only getting one game, and that's it. Thus, can we say he's relevat? And if so, how so?

I must also note that you consistently cite the irrelevancy on Nintendo First Parties (and falsely assume I believe all of them are relevant), when @Burruni was referring to a Third Party character. Relevancy may not apply to first parties, but it can for third parties.
This is absurd.

Why would it apply to one and not the other? Why must there be a distinction?

Again, this is just proving that "relevance" is just a purely subjective term. There are no objective grounds to define it. People merely make things up as they go, and they often times conflict with Sakurai's perception of things, leading people to say "oh, Sakurai just does what he wants" when in hindsight, a lot of Sakurai's decisions on the roster make a lot of sense.

I have no issue with saying relevancy isn't that important of a factor. In my original reply to you, I said relevancy was more that the fan base or developers still find a character important. Pretty much meaning a fan base must still exist. This comes from the general popularity of a character.
But on what grounds do you claim to know what developers find popular, and how are you so certain that it aligns with what the fans find popular? We've already discussed a difference in taste due to generational differences. For a 90s kid like me, the likes of Rareware, SEGA and Capcom are far more important to the industry than Activision and Ubisoft, despite the fact the latter two dominate the current industry whole the former three mostly dwindled.

Many kiddies today genuinely believe Shovel Knight genuinely has a chance on the roster due to his current popularity, which to a younger mind, that doesn't have the perception of the full picture, that seems like a sensible conclusion. But to someone older, like me, I say, "not a chance in hell" because Shovel Knight is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Sure, he's relevant now, but in the big picture, actually not at all.

Do you understand now how "relevance" is entirely subjective?

The longer the public is not exposed to a character, the smaller the fan base can become. This is what makes Banjo have some trouble. He didn't touch multiple generations (the gba games and nuts and bolts really weren't that big) and hasn't been in the public eye for almost two decades.

It isn't entirely "they haven't had a game in fifteen years" but rather "they have fallen into obscurity over fifteen years". You failed to explain how Banjo-Kazooie has maintained itself in modern gaming in order to fit with the others third party icons we have in Smash.
Except this is entirely false.

Banjo and Kazooie have still remained incredibly popular and beloved among the fans who grew up with them.

How quickly Yooka-Laylee got funded, the wildfire caused by Phil's tweet, and the amount of support they got in polls for the ballot all stand testament to this, and disprove your statement. In fact, DESPITE not having a game in years, the fact that they still have this much support and admiration, and this strong a fanbase, simply stands testament to how big they were in their peak. And if a true Banjo revival were to happen, a quality one I should clarify, I guarantee it would very quickly launch the two back on the radar. Hell, when Banjo-Threeie was first teased for 360, people went crazy, and it was one of the most hyped reveals of that E3, alongside Snake in Brawl. So there's evidence for this already.

See, you're mistaken, Banjo's fanbase hasn't dwindled, it has no reason to. The only thing that happened is that the industry has grown much bigger in the 15+ years they've been absent. But even still, this has happened to other characters as well: :4megaman:

And their importance in the industry hasn't been any lower.

There IS a difference in popularity between Banjo and Ryu/Cloud/Mega Man and it's pretty large. But that isn't my issue with your argument.

It's that you are dragging those icons to Banjo's level by saying their importance to gaming and their lasting popularity (which I'd argue is truly what relevancy is) doesn't matter. Their importance is gaming is irrelevant (kek) to their iconicness in pop culture and is, in my opinion, significantly larger than that of Banjo.
You say "lasting popularity" but again, I bring up Shulk, where us his lasting popularity?

And as I've shown above, Banjo has demonstrated a considerable amount of lasting popularity for a character who's been out of the scene for over a decade?

So, again, what criteria are you gonna use to measure thus?

Number of appearances =/= popularity either. It simply = exposure.

Likewise, I don't see how that's dragging anyone down, since the perception one has of an icon is purely subjective. And one could argue the bear and bird are on over all equal standing as the blue bomber, especially since the rise and fall of 3D collectathons mirrors that of the rise and fall if 2D action platformers.

If anything, I've yet to see a convincing argument for why they wouldn't be on the same foothold as Snake.

Regardless of details however, as a former Nintendo mascot, the face of one of the most reputable and critically acclaimed devs in the history of gaming, and the kickstarter for the massive wave of mascots-based 3D collectathons (which Rayman, Crash, Spyro, Jak, and so many others, all tried to copy), I think their spot on the roster is well-earned.

Tl;Dr Banjo Kazooie isn't "irrelevant" but is rather less "relevant" than other third parties we see. Don't pretend relevancy is black and white.
See above.

And don't put words in my mouth, the only one arguing that relevacy can be a measurable trait here, is you. I'm arguing the opposite, tgat it's a meaningless, purely subjective trait that has no merit.

Edit 2: This is a slight tangent, I personally feel relevancy to Nintendo also applies to third parties. But this is a pretty loose requirement (see Cloud). This is probably a mix of how the characters fits with the rest of the cast and how popular the character will likely be to the Smash community.
Well, there is no 3rd party out there as relevant to Nintendo (see now THIS is more objective due to being qualifyable, and well, actually using the word correctly as per its definition, rather than as a vague trait.) than Banjo, considering he was a former Nintendo mascot. Being owned by Microsoft means squat if he's had more games on Nintendo platforns, stood side by side with Mario, and is still remembered for his Nintendo games.

As for "how popular a character will be with the Smash community..."

Ha!!! Clearly Sakurai doesn't care about that all, considering Cloud, WFT, Ryu, Ridley, etc...

He only cares about this in regard to keeping vets, but he doesn't always listen to fan demands, hence Ridley.

And even still, the Smash community as far as Sakurai is concerned wants to see K.Rool, Isaac, and Banjo... So...

Last edited by a moderator:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Meh, once I see a Western developer owned character make it into Smash, then i'll believe we can get one.

And no Diddy doesnt count, he's owned by Nintendo.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
Ok, first off. That's not slippery slope fallacy.

Second, you misunderstood what I said, that wasn't my point. The point I was making was how "less relevant" characters made it into Smash to prove how weak an argument "relevance" is.

I'm not changing definitions, I'm addressing the fallacy in misusing the meaning of a term to make it purely subjective.

And in the second part of this, you're proving my point, relevancy is a purely subjective experience.

There is no way to qualify "relevance" in purely objective terms. You state Kratos and Master Chief as irrelevant based on my statements, but miss the entire point, that identifying them as relevant or irrelevant is a futile endeavor. What criteria are we using to qualify this category? Kratos in fact has NOT had any games this gen, so by the criteria of some people around here, that would qualify as less relevant than other characters.

Likewise, where is the merit for impact within the industry in regard to this?

Is relevance referring to how recently a character has had a major release? Or to the impact within the industry? Mega Man for example qualifies in the latter and not the former, yet, you believe Master Chief to be relevant, thus, which is more relevant?

What about characters who'll have NO lasting appeal? Like Shulk. If you've played the XB games, you'll know he's only getting one game, and that's it. Thus, can we say he's relevat? And if so, how so?

This is absurd.

Why would it apply to one and not the other? Why must there be a distinction?

Again, this is just proving that "relevance" is just a purely subjective term. There are no objective grounds to define it. People merely make things up as they go, and they often times conflict with Sakurai's perception of things, leading people to say "oh, Sakurai just does what he wants" when in hindsight, a lot of Sakurai's decisions on the roster make a lot of sense.

But on what grounds do you claim to know what developers find popular, and how are you so certain that it aligns with what the fans find popular? We've already discussed a difference in taste due to generational differences. For a 90s kid like me, the likes of Rareware, SEGA and Capcom are far more important to the industry than Activision and Ubisoft, despite the fact the latter two dominate the current industry whole the former three mostly dwindled.

Many kiddies today genuinely believe Shovel Knight genuinely has a chance on the roster due to his current popularity, which to a younger mind, that doesn't have the perception of the full picture, that seems like a sensible conclusion. But to someone older, like me, I say, "not a chance in hell" because Shovel Knight is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Sure, he's relevant now, but in the big picture, actually not at all.

Do you understand now how "relevance" is entirely subjective?

Except this is entirely false.

Banjo and Kazooie have still remained incredibly popular and beloved among the fans who grew up with them.

How quickly Yooka-Laylee got funded, the wildfire caused by Phil's tweet, and the amount of support they got in polls for the ballot all stand testament to this, and disprove your statement. In fact, DESPITE not having a game in years, the fact that they still have this much support and admiration, and this strong a fanbase, simply stands testament to how big they were in their peak. And if a true Banjo revival were to happen, a quality one I should clarify, I guarantee it would very quickly launch the two back on the radar. Hell, when Banjo-Threeie was first teased for 360, people went crazy, and it was one of the most hyped reveals of that E3, alongside Snake in Brawl. So there's evidence for this already.

See, you're mistaken, Banjo's fanbase hasn't dwindled, it has no reason to. The only thing that happened is that the industry has grown much bigger in the 15+ years they've been absent. But even still, this has happened to other characters as well: :4megaman:

And their importance in the industry hasn't been any lower.

You say "lasting popularity" but again, I bring up Shulk, where us his lasting popularity?

And as I've shown above, Banjo has demonstrated a considerable amount of lasting popularity for a character who's been out of the scene for over a decade?

So, again, what criteria are you gonna use to measure thus?

Number of appearances =/= popularity either. It simply = exposure.

Likewise, I don't see how that's dragging anyone down, since the perception one has of an icon is purely subjective. And one could argue the bear and bird are on over all equal standing as the blue bomber, especially since the rise and fall of 3D collectathons mirrors that of the rise and fall if 2D action platformers.

If anything, I've yet to see a convincing argument for why they wouldn't be on the same foothold as Snake.

Regardless of details however, as a former Nintendo mascot, the face of one of the most reputable and critically acclaimed devs in the history of gaming, and the kickstarter for the massive wave of mascots-based 3D collectathons (which Rayman, Crash, Spyro, Jak, and so many others, all tried to copy), I think their spot on the roster is well-earned.

See above.

And don't put words in my mouth, the only one arguing that relevacy can be a measurable trait here, is you. I'm arguing the opposite, tgat it's a meaningless, purely subjective trait that has no merit.

Well, there is no 3rd party out there as relevant to Nintendo (see now THIS is more objective due to being qualifyable, and well, actually using the word correctly as per its definition, rather than as a vague trait.) than Banjo, considering he was a former Nintendo mascot. Being owned by Microsoft means squat if he's had more games on Nintendo platforns, stood side by side with Mario, and is still remembered for his Nintendo games.

As for "how popular a character will be with the Smash community..."

Ha!!! Clearly Sakurai doesn't care about that all, considering Cloud, WFT, Ryu, Ridley, etc...

He only cares about this in regard to keeping vets, but he doesn't always listen to fan demands, hence Ridley.

And even still, the Smash community as far as Sakurai is concerned wants to see K.Rool, Isaac, and Banjo... So...
People seem to forget that banjo is a Microsoft first party character this alone all but kills his chances. Regardless of which company originally created him he's not a likely candidate. He's also not as iconic as the other third parties as he's not a face of a genre. People who haven't played his games probably won't recognize him. Whether or not he is the most relevant third party to Nintendo is debatable but I don't see it. He's lost relevance because he hasn't has a well received game in a long time.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
People seem to forget that banjo is a Microsoft first party character this alone all but kills his chances. Regardless of which company originally created him he's not a likely candidate. He's also not as iconic as the other third parties as he's not a face of a genre. People who haven't played his games probably won't recognize him. Whether or not he is the most relevant third party to Nintendo is debatable but I don't see it. He's lost relevance because he hasn't has a well received game in a long time.

Between Phil Spencer's tweet, and this^, it is clear that being owned by Microsoft isn't a problem.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476

Between Phil Spencer's tweet, and this^, it is clear that being owned by Microsoft isn't a problem.
That's minecraft which is still on PlayStation. Does that mean that Sony and Microsoft will coloborate on a huge game?

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
That's minecraft which is still on PlayStation. Does that mean that Sony and Microsoft will coloborate on a huge game?
It means they might.
Just like they very well might with Nintendo, especially since there has already been a very large amount of demand for them to do so, and Phil SPencer has already expressed interest in doing so.

D

Deleted member

Meh, once I see a Western developer owned character make it into Smash, then i'll believe we can get one.

And no Diddy doesnt count, he's owned by Nintendo.
"Until I see a Western character in Smash, then I won't believe it."

"Oh, but that one western character already in Smash doesn't count."

Yes, because yesterday M$ was totally NOT promoting the WiiU release of Minecraft.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
It means they might.
Just like they very well might with Nintendo, especially since there has already been a very large amount of demand for them to do so, and Phil SPencer has already expressed interest in doing so.
He'd be dumb not to that's free advertising in one of the biggest game franchises in the world. The problem lies in higher ups in Nintendo allowing this to happen. Which I doubt they will allow because why would the help a direct competitor?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
He'd be dumb not to that's free advertising in one of the biggest game franchises in the world. The problem lies in higher ups in Nintendo allowing this to happen. Which I doubt they will allow because why would the help a direct competitor?
Why would they allow Minecraft on their console? It helps a direct competitor after all.
They let Minecraft on Wii U, because it makes them money too.
It also bears mentioning that Phil Spencer is the exact same kind of higher up as the Nintendo people you mention, and yet he thinks it would be a good idea to help a direct competitor as well. What makes the nintendo people any different?

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That didn't stop Cloud or Ryu. Intentional or not, both have helped add to SFV and FFVII Remake's promotion.

Cloud's inclusion honestly makes me think that the higher ups are less into petty console wars than we thought.

:231:

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't talking about bring back :younglinkmelee: as a clone, that slot was completely taken by :4tlink:, I was talking about :younglinkmelee: returning with a completely, or almost completely, revamped moveset more based on a mix of his unique items and attacks from Majora's Mask and how he played in Hyrule Warriors, as a 2-Handed Sword User, only using the Great Fairy Sword or Gilded Sword instead of the enlarged Kokiri Sword like in Hyrule Warriors. His Final Smash would then be Fierce Deity Link, keeping his status as THE most formidable and nearly broken character in the History of the Zelda Franchise.

Doing it like I stated there would ensure that :younglinkmelee: would NOT play like :4tlink: or :4link: but rather have his own unique moveset while still feeling true to his character. If you were unaware, when :younglinkmelee: used the Great Fairy Sword in Majora's Mask and his moveset in Hyrule Warriors is based on how :linkmelee: used the Biggoron Sword in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which is also where Fierce Deity Link got his attack style.

Regardless of whether we used :younglinkmelee: or Fierce Deity Link, it would still be a 3rd Link and a new moveset based on the Biggoron Sword playstyle of :linkmelee: in Ocarina of Time.
If we want to talk about clone characters who aren't really clone characters, I've been a fan of putting in one of my favorite representations of Ganondorf since Smash 4 was first announced: Toon Ganon. Consider what this would bring to the table:
1: A Ganondorf who could be presented not as a clone of CF, but a character with a unique moveset
2: A true heavy sword user. Heavier than Ike, but with faster, dual-sword attacks
3: The villain counterpart to Toon Link

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
That didn't stop Cloud or Ryu. Intentional or not, both have helped add to SFV and FFVII Remake's promotion.

Cloud's inclusion honestly makes me think that the higher ups are less into petty console wars than we thought.

Even if FFVII Remake winds up coming to NX?

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476

Those characters have the distinction of actually being third party though. Those characters are not owned by Sony they are owned by Square Enix and Capcom. Being owned by another first party company hurts his chances a lot but it is not impossible

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even if FFVII Remake winds up coming to NX?
That's a very big IF buddy.

I've heard this again and again from people, and I do wonder where it's coming from.

We literally know nothing about the NX, I don't see how people believe FFVIIR will be on it.

The only thing we know right now is tgat the NintyxMS relationship is very strong, and that Square wants to collaborate as well.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
Why would they allow Minecraft on their console? It helps a direct competitor after all.
They let Minecraft on Wii U, because it makes them money too.
It also bears mentioning that Phil Spencer is the exact same kind of higher up as the Nintendo people you mention, and yet he thinks it would be a good idea to help a direct competitor as well. What makes the nintendo people any different?
I feel like minecraft is given more leeway because the game prints money and originally being an indie. The thing with smash dlc is most of it will sell very well anyways so why not go through the process of getting another more relevant third party that doesn't help a direct competitor.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

I've heard this again and again from people, and I do wonder where it's coming from.

We literally know nothing about the NX, I don't see how people believe FFVIIR will be on it.

The only thing we know right now is tgat the NintyxMS relationship is very strong, and that Square wants to collaborate as well.
We know next to nothing about FFVII Remake. All we know is that it is NOT Playstation exclusive.

D

Deleted member

Those characters have the distinction of actually being third party though. Those characters are not owned by Sony they are owned by Square Enix and Capcom. Being owned by another first party company hurts his chances a lot but it is not impossible
I dont see how being first or third party makes any lick of difference. Especially when competing companies have shown no qualms about collaborating, and previous and current 3rd party chars have done nothing but promote exclusive content on competing consoles (Snake and Cloud).

It seems to me like it's just an arbitrary distinction fans make for no reason at all.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/article/double-take-is-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-coming-to-nx/

It's largely a rumour at this point - stemming from the improving relation between the companies, DQ XI and possibly FV XIV hitting the NX. And the fact that the PS4 trailers say "Play it first on PS4" (aka not exclusive)

D

Deleted member

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/article/double-take-is-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-coming-to-nx/

It's largely a rumour at this point - stemming from the improving relation between the companies, DQ XI and possibly FV XIV hitting the NX. And the fact that the PS4 trailers say "Play it first on PS4" (aka not exclusive)

Alright, thanks.

We know next to nothing about FFVII Remake. All we know is that it is NOT Playstation exclusive.
It's still a huge stretch when we know even less about the NX or if it'll even be successful or powerful enough to warrant a port.

The timed release on PS4 only means that Xbone and PC will be getting a version in due time as well. With that in mind, I don't see how an eventual NX release is of any significance. Especially when Deus Ex had its definitive release on WiiU, and one cared.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I remember a time when people requested NINTENDO characters for Smash.

I hate to a nostalgic anus, but can we go back to that time, please? That'll be great.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
I dont see how being first or third party makes any lick of difference. Especially when competing companies have shown no qualms about collaborating, and previous and current 3rd party chars have done nothing but promote exclusive content on competing consoles (Snake and Cloud).

It seems to me like it's just an arbitrary distinction fans make for no reason at all.
The distinction was made because this game is still a Nintendo fighting game and Sakurai himself has said that the third parties have to be special cases. Also from a business standpoint the third party has to be worth the money spent to get the licence especially for dlc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom