• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingDooburu

Smash Rookie
The colors in that dont mean anything. It's just a big rainbow of random colors. They were just added to make the text less bland
Seriously?! to make it less bland? That is the most boring explanation I've ever heard. Sakurai doesn't do things for no reason.

Burruni

Smash Hero
And yet here they are.
The point was he was planning to add them, and he eventually got around to it.
No.
He considered to add them, and later changed his mind on them not fitting smash in the gap between Brawl and Smash 4. Pac-Man and Miis seen in a new light for moveset potential and Villager because he became far more popular AND the entire style change in visuals from Brawl to Smash 4.
The only times a character was "planned" and added later was because time constraints held them off. Something that isn't so much an issue, with DLC.
And those "planned?"
Bowser, Mewtwo, and Dedede for 64.
Lucas and Wolf for Melee (Lucas dropped because his game got delayed hard and Wolf because he looked too similar to Fox and went Falco for the clone)
and then the Forbidden 7, namely bringing back Mewtwo, Roy, and Doc.
If there was a so-reliable case of "considered/planned to add but saved for next time," we would have Toon Zelda, Tetra, Dixie Kong, and Plusle-Minun on the roster. Edit: And Excite Biker, Banjo-Kazooie, etc. etc.

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
No.
He considered to add them, and later changed his mind on them not fitting smash in the gap between Brawl and Smash 4. Pac-Man and Miis seen in a new light for moveset potential and Villager because he became far more popular AND the entire style change in visuals from Brawl to Smash 4.
The only times a character was "planned" and added later was because time constraints held them off. Something that isn't so much an issue, with DLC.
And those "planned?"
Bowser, Mewtwo, and Dedede for 64.
Lucas and Wolf for Melee (Lucas dropped because his game got delayed hard and Wolf because he looked too similar to Fox and went Falco for the clone)
and then the Forbidden 7, namely bringing back Mewtwo, Roy, and Doc.
If there was a so-reliable case of "considered/planned to add but saved for next time," we would have Toon Zelda, Tetra, Dixie Kong, and Plusle-Minun on the roster. Edit: And Excite Biker, Banjo-Kazooie, etc. etc.
Go to Source Gaming for the accurate reasons as to why they missed out

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I'm not sure if this is off topic but Updates and DLC come hand n hand and this place is the only thread I frequent these days lol.

I think one of the biggest additions or changes that still needs fixing with these DLC/updates is the aerial momentum properties of the standard smash c-stick. It would be such an upgrade to those of us who decided not to switch to attack-stick and really should have been implemented in the vanilla version of the game. Or have the option to turn off smash-stick's charge property since that's what broke it in Sm4sh, though I like the charge option and would rather it just didn't f it up in the air.

Yes this is something most of us have gotten over ages ago, but I still have hopes that this can and should be fixed.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm not sure if this is off topic but Updates and DLC come hand n hand and this place is the only thread I frequent these days lol.

I think one of the biggest additions or changes that still needs fixing with these DLC/updates is the aerial momentum properties of the standard smash c-stick. It would be such an upgrade to those of us who decided not to switch to attack-stick and really should have been implemented in the vanilla version of the game. Or have the option to turn off smash-stick's charge property since that's what broke it in Sm4sh, though I like the charge option and would rather it just didn't f it up in the air.

Yes this is something most of us have gotten over ages ago, but I still have hopes that this can and should be fixed.
As a :4jigglypuff: main, you have no idea how much I've been wanting this, I couldn't get used to the changes at all, this would honestly be my favorite DLC if released out of all the ones so far. :p

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Bandana Dee has been playable twice recently, and in Rainbow Curse Dedede and Meta Knight weren't playable while Bandana Dee is, I don't think he's intended to be a reserve, more or less the 4th main/major character, if he wasn't that I doubt he would be prioritized over the likes of Dedede and Metty.

Also, could anyone bother explaining how things like this are possible? I was just messing around on Google trends and decided to see how K. Rool and Dixie stack up to my favorites and Cloud, but to my shock, they weren't high up at all. You'd think K. Rool would be dominant due to his campaigns but he's only just barely able to make a scratch, what's up with that? I get that it has nothing to do with the ballot, but I'm really just absolutely shocked at how this is even possible? Are Jirachi, Jigglypuff and Cloud really that much bigger than the DK duo in pop culture? o-O
Considering how huge Jigglypuff was in terms of popularity during Pokemon's peak and the amount of exposure she got, I'm not really surprised that she would be more iconic than Dixie and K. Rool. Plus, she is also a playable character in every single Smash game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dixie Kong and K.Rool are iconic characters who are starting to 'fade' in their status, due to Nintendo not ****ing using them at all. The fact we get character shoe-horned at us who haven't done all that much in their main series -say, Jigglypuff, Sheik, ect.- means that Smash Bros. indeed does a whole lot for a character's "immortality". For characters as say, the Fire Emblem cast, this is amazing. But it's also a bit of a problem, since if you're not 'in the club', you will hardly be noticed.

And for characters as Bandana Dee, Toad and Ridley I see this as less of a problem, because unlike in Dixie and K.Rool's case, their franchises aren't hell-bound on "trying something different" every damn time. I am extremely relieved Diddy Kong is already in beause of this, cause if he wasn't in Brawl, he sure as hell wouldn't get into Smash 4 with his constantly receding role from the 'Nintendo frontlines'.

So yeah, we're basically LONG OVERDUE for something playable out of Donkey Kong Country basically.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
'From now on, it will be fanservice'
Inklings have a very high appeal and incedible demand, 'saving them for next game' isn't a genuine factor, but something made by people who are desperate for their most wanted characters, scared Inklings would get more priority than them
The way I interpreted "from now on, it will be fanservice" is that within the context of DLC characters, the DLC characters will be fanservice.

:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud: are proof of that.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Go to Source Gaming for the accurate reasons as to why they missed out
I've read the article and cited it a number of times.
Sorry that, at 2am after a long day and being rattled from nearly avoid being struck on my drive home at the cost of two of my tires and the time needed to deal with AAA to get it in a decent enough state to take to a proper mechanic that I've mixed up what were the given reasons for some of these characters with dabbles of inaccuracy.

The way I interpreted "from now on, it will be fanservice" is that within the context of DLC characters, the DLC characters will be fanservice.

:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud: are proof of that.
And Ryugie's point is that Inklings certainly would be fanservice considering it's within the... like... top 5 selling WiiU titles and considering that's Smash and 3 other things it's impressive for a new IP of an entirely new genre.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
About Ridley, if I may;
I honestly do not think that what Sakurai says about Ridley is him saying it can't happen at all in regards to him being in Smash. What I think is the issue Sakurai has with Ridley is the way he tends to be used in Metroid making it much harder for Sakurai to find a way to work around his size to represent another aspect of the character like with some other bigger characters.

Think about this; what does Ridley tend to do in his fights? Fly around or into you, spit fire at you, grab you and scrape you around, maybe slash with his claws and tail. He's got some moves to work with, but there's not a lot of material to use to make a coherent moveset that feels just as Ridley should feel, and the fact that most of his interesting characterization is from a somewhat obscure manga doesn't help. Making him a boss makes it so they can use the moves he does use most often without having to come up with a lot of other things that still feel like him as a character. His moves in the games don't neccesarily line up with the sadistic, genocidal horror that the manga depicts him as, which creates something of a disconnect.

Sakurai's an artist who needs some frame of reference to make his art, and in terms of the Metroid series, Ridley hasn't really been given any of his manga characterization and his fights tend to be pretty samey, which are pretty painful points against him. I imagine if Ridley is given a boss fight that properly represents his character (say, giving him more feline and bird in the fighting style), he'd be an easy addition for Sakurai to do, because then there's a lot more material to use for crafting moves.

Sakurai knows Ridley is highly-requested, but the lack of reference material in the games is what's hindering Ridley's progress as a fighter.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Did Splatoon really make an entirely new genre? :confused:
No.
But it's the first proper Shooter IP for Nintendo. That's what I meant.
The closest before would be the Metroid Prime trilogy.

Edit: And brought enough inovation and life into a staling genre to.. y'know WIN BOTH BEST MULTIPLAYER AND BEST SHOOTER LAST NIGHT AT VGA.

WOOT WOOT.

*Insert Squid Sisters Theme*

Last edited:

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
There's a huge possibility Snake is not possible after the huge fallout between Konami and Kojima, which was on display at The Game Awards last night.. but I mean, it's still a pretty well selling game that they put out. It's still Konami's IP. They can do whatever they want with the IP. I say that there's still a chance, small as it may be.

Maybe I just should take the hint Konami is throwing at me. :p

Burruni

Smash Hero
There's a huge possibility Snake is not possible after the huge fallout between Konami and Kojima, which was on display at The Game Awards last night.. but I mean, it's still a pretty well selling game that they put out. It's still Konami's IP. They can do whatever they want with the IP. I say that there's still a chance, small as it may be.

Devil's Advocate: Kojima has gone on record that, even after leaving Konami, he wants Snake to return in Smash.

Then again, it's an entirely diferent matter if Nintendo/Sakurai want to deal WITH Konami for Snake

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
uhhh

Pretty sure that Xenoblade Chronicles is a spiritual successor to Xenogears and Xenosaga, as Monolith Soft is comprised of the people that made those games

Not to mention, y'know, borrowing assets and concepts from those series and everything else

Smooth Criminal
Xenoblade is a spiritual sequel to Xenosaga, which is a spiritual sequel to Xenogears, which is a spiritual sequel to FF VII.

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice

Devil's Advocate: Kojima has gone on record that, even after leaving Konami, he wants Snake to return in Smash.

Then again, it's an entirely diferent matter if Nintendo/Sakurai want to deal WITH Konami for Snake
Yeah, that is the only issue that we don't have a solid answer for.

In and of himself Snake as a character makes perfect sense for DLC on a number of levels. The only looming issue is Konami's current situation and whether or not they would be prudent enough to do business with Nintendo or Nintendo would want to do business with them. We just don't know for sure right now.

Although my fondest hope is for Snake to return with a Punished Snake alt costume. I could die happy.

Mobes

NNID
MobesMobes

I mean, of course Kojima would want that. That's easy from him to say. I'd quite like 'Ben Laserlove', my original robot character, in Smash. There, I said it. I said the controversial.

Regarding dealing with Konami, yeah totally. I understand that there might be additional hurdles for a company seemingly exiting AAA development. Even though I believe they're still going to make games for mobile, I wouldn't bet money on Snake happening.

..but man, I just want Keither Sutherland growling pain noises next to Cloud and Luigi.
I'll hold out some hope for it until Sakurai smashes them This December®.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I mean, of course Kojima would want that. That's easy from him to say. I'd quite like 'Ben Laserlove', my original robot character, in Smash. There, I said it. I said the controversial.

Regarding dealing with Konami, yeah totally. I understand that there might be additional hurdles for a company seemingly exiting AAA development. Even though I believe they're still going to make games for mobile, I wouldn't bet money on Snake happening.

..but man, I just want Keither Sutherland growling pain noise next to Cloud and Luigi.
I'll hold out some hope for it until Sakurai smashes them This December®.
Sorry, I assumed that you took the wrong message from the issues between Kojima and Konami, as a number of users here have, that due to a level of hostility between the man who created Snake and is the one whose relationship with Sakurai pushed him into Smash in the first place and his ex-company would leave a bitterness with Kojima about having Konami (with Metal Gear) get anything in his abscence.

Mobes

NNID
MobesMobes
Sorry, I assumed that you took the wrong message from the issues between Kojima and Konami, as a number of users here have, that due to a level of hostility between the man who created Snake and is the one whose relationship with Sakurai pushed him into Smash in the first place and his ex-company would leave a bitterness with Kojima about having Konami (with Metal Gear) get anything in his abscence.
I mean, I am realistic about the fact that Kojima had friction with people in power explicitly.
I guess I would and wouldn't be surprised if the people in power at Konami were to be so childish and unprofessional to disown everything Kojima help create just because he helped create it. That's a whole bunch of content to just start disowning.

We'll see if that happens after the supposed contract between Konami and him runs out December / January.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
My Theory is that the colours behind the text in the most recent Nintendo Direct are from one picture that includes all DLC characters to be announced in December. So I contrasted the colours and changed the background to white.

First King K. Rool, the obvious green and yellow are right up his alley.

Second Wolf, this is a bit of a stretch but is my best guess for the darker blue.

Third Shovel Knight, you can't miss his iconic light blue.

Finally Shantae, the skin tan and purple are a dead give away.

What do you guys think? Have any better guesses?
The colors in the background meant absolute squat, including the Brawl music playing in the background. Why must people over analyze and over speculate things only to end up being disappointed in the end? You'd be kidding yourselves.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Has speculation really gone to the point that the colour of the text confirms characters?

Burruni

Smash Hero
WHOOP WHOOP.
XENOBLADE X GET!
Just waiting ~50 minutes for the last of the downloads to make the game run as smoothly as possible.
We in it,

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Considering back in the Brawl days we had "Ridley in the Clouds"

...Not really that surprising
I forgot about the whole Ridley in the clouds thing from Brawl. That whole thing reminded me how it was similar with the whole PacMan symbol that was hidden in the clouds of the Greninja trailer and people overanalyzed that to the brink.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm honestly not sure who I'd call 'likely' right now, the closest thing I can think of are Wolf, Dixie and Bandana Dee. I still have no idea where K Rool, Isaac and the Inklings stand. Dixie's relevant, pretty popular and a very easy choice, while Bandana Dee is relevant, popular and unique. How new Splatoon is makes me question how likely they are, I'd personally like to see them let the franchise grow a little more but I'm obviously not Sakurai so I don't know how he stands. Isaac's obviously got relevance bogging him down as his niche franchise will be hard to sell to people and K Rool has that damn mii costume which I still can't decide if it's a deconfirmation or a red herring to try and mislead us, he's also got the relevancy issue that Isaac has although to a lesser extent due to DK being directly linked to Mario.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
My Theory is that the colours behind the text in the most recent Nintendo Direct are from one picture that includes all DLC characters to be announced in December. So I contrasted the colours and changed the background to white.

First King K. Rool, the obvious green and yellow are right up his alley.

Second Wolf, this is a bit of a stretch but is my best guess for the darker blue.

Third Shovel Knight, you can't miss his iconic light blue.

Finally Shantae, the skin tan and purple are a dead give away.

What do you guys think? Have any better guesses?
First off, I see a bigger resemblance to BDee then Butt Butt. (If you look closely you can see an orange color next to the blue) That and the rumor pretty much has one more nail to go, so yeah... Then there's the fact that I really don't know if this means anything, it's merely colors so it most likely doesn't mean anything...:/

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sometimes I wish that DLC included new bonus effects for equipment. I have a few in mind...
Bonus Effect | Description | Details | x1 | x2 | x3 | Stat Modifier | Positive Value Range | Negative Value Range
Weight Booster | Increased weight | 1.5x weight. | 1.5x | 1.65x | 1.8x | 25 | 5 - 60 | 15 - 59
Weight Dropper | Decreased weight | 0.7x weight. | 0.7x | 0.6x | 0.5x | 43 | 69 - 85 | 5 - 16
Examples
  • Rosalina + Weight Booster x1: 78 -> 117
  • Mewtwo + Weight Booster x2: 72 -> 118.8
  • Jigglypuff + Weight Booster x3: 68 -> 122.4
  • King Dedede + Weight Dropper x1: 119 -> 83.3
  • Donkey Kong + Weight Dropper x2: 122 -> 73.2
  • Bowser + Weight Dropper x3: 128 -> 64

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
First off, I see a bigger resemblance to BDee then Butt Butt. (If you look closely you can see an orange color next to the blue) That and the rumor pretty much has one more nail to go, so yeah... Then there's the fact that I really don't know if this means anything, it's merely colors so it most likely doesn't mean anything...:/
You are really trying to push Bandana Dee and I now realize why you were so butt-hurt about what I've been saying about him. You could make the argument for every single character with those colors, but what creeps me out is the adamancy of certain users that these colors mean anything... It's cringe worthy

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You are really trying to push Bandana Dee and I now realize why you were so butt-hurt about what I've been saying about him. You could make the argument for every single character with those colors, but what creeps me out is the adamancy of certain users that these colors mean anything... It's cringe worthy
Dude, just put me on your ignore list, cause I literally have no interest in talking to you.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
SuperNintendoDisney SuperNintendoDisney , Like seriously I suggest you leave the thread, as your additude is only dragging us down and adds nothing to the discussion at all, you've been completely ignorant and have only abided by your own logic, and because of that it would be advised that you just go bring your attitude somewhere else so that we can continue with our discussions rather then us having to deal with you. It's unproductive and only makes you look worse in comparison.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
WHOOP WHOOP.
XENOBLADE X GET!
Just waiting ~50 minutes for the last of the downloads to make the game run as smoothly as possible.
We in it,
Ugh I'm so overestimated the character maker
How am I supposed to make THIS
2015-10-15 17.57.12.png

If I can't bulk up my dudes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom