• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Definitely agree on Risen, Space Pirates and Ing.

Klump (DKC)
Aparoids (Star Fox)
:034:
Irridescent Flint?Glint beetle (assuming we don't already have one) (pikmin)
something from pac man world
mechon (xenoblade)
new age retro hippe (Earthbound)

Optimus Prime is a choice equally as ridiculous as Goku. Saying he is more likely than Geno is just plain foolish.
Is confused how my named changed to Zero Soul...:p

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Optimus Prime is a choice equally as ridiculous as Goku. Saying he is more likely than Geno is just plain foolish.

Considering that he's actually appeared in first-party Nintendo titles in some capacity, I'd say he is more likely than Goku. Granted, it's not incredibly likely...but this isn't about incredibly likely, this is about if it's feasible or not.

Optimus Prime hasn't been neglected by his owners for over a decade at this point, either. Give me solid evidence that Geno is more likely and I'll concede my point, but until then I can continue to say my opinion.

Is confused how my named changed to Zero Soul...:p
This is probably the 100th time i've deleted the "]" when editing a quote. . . Fixed
Give me solid evidence that Geno is more likely and I'll concede my point, but until then I can continue to say my opinion.
Geno is a ****ing video game character.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
This is probably the 100th time i've deleted the "]" when editing a quote. . . Fixed

Doesn't need to be a video game character, just needs to have significant history with video games, and last I checked, Transformers do.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Okay, firstly.
Sakurai has said that we aren't getting manga characters. At all. Ever.

When he refuses to put a popular character from a media in his home country...where does that put Optimus Prime, who started out as a toy?

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
why you should fund Indivisible,
Uh I'd rather talk about why I have funded Indivisible

and here's why

Nah, I'm kidding,I funded it ages ago.
It looks stellar and super fun and I recommend everyone support it

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Considering that he's actually appeared in first-party Nintendo titles in some capacity, I'd say he is more likely than Goku. Granted, it's not incredibly likely...but this isn't about incredibly likely, this is about if it's feasible or not.

Optimus Prime hasn't been neglected by his owners for over a decade at this point, either. Give me solid evidence that Geno is more likely and I'll concede my point, but until then I can continue to say my opinion.
I come back after a short hiatus, and this is the conversation.

Did Cloud really scramble everyone's brains or are we going to start advocating Ronald McDonald soon because he's peddled some Super Mario Happy Meal Toys in the past year?

Geno's super ridiculously unlikely because he's basically a one off character from a game over 20 years ago, but is this really the best example of why you think Optimus Prime is MORE likely than him opposed to just as unlikely(aka; not happening at all ever)? Surprised you didn't mention he'd cross overed with Snake in a similar Smash style game in the past too.

You like Transformers; I get it. I love One Piece, but I'm not advocating Monkey D. Luffy get into Smash because a.) he doesn't belong and b.) he's not an iconic video game character. He's an iconic character who has appeared in video games. Optimus is the same.

Sorry mods, but this really is terrible.
Frankly we should all feel terrible about this too.
Because we all let Geno Vs. Optimus Prime discussion happen in the first place.

We have failed as a community and should feel bad. Possibly forever.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Sakurai's stance on non-Video game characters is a grey area, honestly. We only know that manga characters are ineligible, and even that was said during Brawl.

In any case, given that there are plenty of video game characters to choose from, I don't think he will want to include a non-video game character yet.

:231:

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
An utterly irrelevant one who is neglected by both parent companies in favor of much more profitable ideas. Big whoop. Considering how little Geno is used, I'd hazard to say he's pretty much dead in the water as far as a playable fighter goes.

Again, I'm not saying that Prime is likely, or even very probable. I'm merely making the point that if we're going to claim that Geno is possible, that there's always going to be much more popular, profitable and notable characters to edge him out even if limiting ourselves to appearing on Nintendo stuff or being in Nintendo games. He's more profitable to use because he's got much more guarenteed profit; a lot more people would buy Optimus Prime as a DLC fighter out of sheer curiousity than they would buy Geno as a DLC fighter.

Sakurai's not predictable, but he's also not a dunce in buisness. The man knows that DLC is a harder prospect to swallow for consumers, so he'll go for appealing and profitable characters (veterans or highly popular newcomers) over the more obscure ones that only hardcore fans know. If given the choice between King K.Rool and Brash the Bear, Sakurai is going to pick K.Rool because he has much more profitability because he's more universally recognized. Same situation with Prime and Geno; Prime is more profitable and universally recognized than Geno, so it's more logical to pick that safer route over the more financially unsure side.

Again, Square only recently got back in touch with Nintendo. Who's to say they even renewed Geno's copyright information or anything? The character's been in limbo since the early 2000's, it's not like they care to use him at all. Even in Smash or the Mario spinoffs, the guy is skipped over.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Someone has to say it...

Sakurai also said fighting game characters are ineligible.

But... Ryu

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Sorry mods, but this really is terrible. Frankly we should all feel terrible about this too. Because we all let Geno Vs. Optimus Prime discussion happen in the first place.
I can't and I won't stop people from bringing up a topic, as long as they are willing to discuss it in a civil manner.
I only make sure that they're on-topic and not breaking any site rules. That's the extent of my job.

If you want to talk about, say, Napoleon wearing a hoodie and wielding a bazooka in Smash, go straight ahead.

Last edited:
Someone has to say it...

Sakurai also said fighting game characters are ineligible.

But... Ryu
No he didn't.
It was a mistranslation taken as fact.

God we are discussing OPTIMUS ****ING PRIME. I can't wrap my head around this. Thank goodness I have class so I dont have to deal with this for awhile.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If floodgates were opened them we would see Mickey Mouse and James bound in smash, so Cloud didn't open anything as long as the character is a video game character and appeared in Nintendo console.
However having Cloud could open doors for other Square-Enix to join smash because Square-Enix has the key.
That is really just your perspective.
Square Enix is a prominent game company in Japan, it isnt strange they have a character they own in Smash.
Only Capcom has two characters at the moment. Square Enix having a single character seems more reason to me *not* to add another...but if they did, Geno is not even the guaranteed first choice.

Please understand these as facts. Please agree that they are facts, other than my opinion of a second character (which I do not assume a non bias answer from you regarding). Perhaps if you can find some factual concession in regard to your stance on Geno, it would seem more logical.

...my bet would be on Lara Croft.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If you want to talk about, say, Napoleon wearing a hoodie and wielding a bazooka in Smash, go straight ahead.

I appreciate your liberal stance here Falkoopa(or should I say Dr. Falkoopa now), but it's sad that the ridiculous suggestion you came up with is no less likely than Optimus Prime. In fact; more likely because Miis.

This is the world we live in.

Is this the real life?

Suddenly Ronald McDonald doesn't seem as ridiculous as I first thought.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There's so much wrong with this conversation...

I really think it's time that speculation dies. Luckily we have just a few weeks left until the December presentation, and I hope that that ends DLC. For good.

As far as I'm concerned, people quite frankly aren't thinking logically with some things. Sure, you can like and support who you want. Nobody can tell you not to. But when that support turns into, "character is likely/not impossible", you need to take a step back and think about it.

This fanbase would also do well should they temper their expectations and realize that DLC just might end this month, and that their favorite may not get in. I've accepted this, knowing that Snake may not happen. So far, I am completely satisfied with the content we've been given.

Because this is additional content that didn't HAVE to be made and is being worked on by a small group of developers, I find myself appreciating what we get because it doesn't just come out of thin air.

That doesn't mean you can't NOT like it. What I AM saying is that the best way to go about this is to try and appreciate what we've gotten, and realize that somebody out there is making this stuff for us because he/his company love the fans.

I can already tell that post-December, there will be a Saltstorm because, "MY CHARACTER WASNT PICKED THIS DLC SUCKS". Get over it. Life isn't always fair, and it's just a game. Smash is my favorite game, but I'm not crying over this or that.

I agree with pupNapoleon pupNapoleon on a second Square Enix character. I could totally see Lara Croft.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I appreciate your liberal stance here Falkoopa(or should I say Dr. Falkoopa now), but it's sad that the ridiculous suggestion you came up with is no less likely than Optimus Prime. In fact; more likely because Miis.

This is the world we live in.

Is this the real life?

Suddenly Ronald McDonald doesn't seem as ridiculous as I first thought.
I'd rather Optimus Primal more then Optimus Prime.

:troll:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Where the hell is this mindset coming from, that non-video game characters are now likely because, they've appeared on video games?

If you look at @PushDustIn s article about Sakurai's stance on third parties Sakurai also said that he wants to keep a standard for Smash and that he doesn't want to do anything too extreme...this goes hand in hand with adding not just anybody...looking at Snake, Ryu and Cloud it is clear we are looking at characters that are at least significant in gaming...I mean why do you guys think the Smash Ballot specifically asked for 'Video Game Characters' not characters that have appeared in video games...

There is way too much straw grasping going on its ridiculous...

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Okay, so Goku can't get into Smash?

But Optimus can?

DBZ has had games since like the NES.

I'm not advocating for these characters, i'm just pointing out the error in the Optimus relevance debate.

But you know who I personally want, which I think is 'technically' possible...

The avatar character from Dragon Ball Heroes. Has a male and female rendition. Goes by the name of Beat or Note and shares similarities to Goku in appearance and ability.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Has Optimus Prime made a huge impact in video games?

Like, on the same level as Sonic, Pac-Man, Cloud, Mega Man or Ryu?

I don't think so.
Has Takamaru made a huge impact in video games? Has Lip made a huge impact in video games? Postulating questions as a way to discuss isn't exactly fair as a debate method. Of course not everyone's going to have a massive impact in video games as a whole, but there are instances where franchises can get in by other means than just impact on the medium; otherwise, we wouldn't have Dark Pit and the Ice Climbers. Doesn't stop people from supporting them and arguing that they're possible. The only real difference is that Prime isn't a Nintendo character.

And honestly, if we're debating impact, then Optimus Prime has a massive advantage over pretty much any canidate; I can feel safe in assuming that there'd be as much, if not more, impact than Cloud's reveal if we got Prime in Smash, and that's not even counting the movies that have ammased a sum of 3.791 billion dollars. That's a lot of money that they could have to incentivize the idea.

Again, he's not likely at all, but it's not impossible, even with Sakurai's rules; and considering how Nintendo and Hasbro seem to be on speaking terms, there's really not much to do for licensing outside of getting deals with Takara and Hasbro. We don't know exactly how Sakurai would treat this situation, either; the closest we have is a few scant statements that are ambiguously worded or don't apply. "Impossible" implies that there's no way it can happen; that's inapplicable to this situation, since there is a way it could happen, though unlikely it may be.

There's being limiting and then there's deliberately ignoring profits in plain sight. I don't take Sakurai to be a man to ignore profits, and he's done weird things before.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
First master chief and now Optimus prime?! I could understand some points for master chief but are we forgetting that smash is suppose to be a game about video games character from Nintendo history?! WHATS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!? Who is next? Dora, Goku, spongebob?
Look... I get that you feel attacked, but until certain truths are held accountable by the Geno side, there will be no credibility to the Geno argument. As absurdly as you feel about Dora, many may feel about the responses you are giving.

Geno is popular with *some* people. Okay. That's most characters.
He IS a third party character. This is a basic premise that, no matter how you want to count it for yourself, is a fact. He.Is.Third.Party. Your will and stubborn attitude doesn't change this, and it weakens any other argument you attempt to bring to the table.

Geno is popular...sure...I guess.... That is a hard thing to prove, so I'll even give you popularity.
Yet, a hell of a lot of characters are popular. That just isnt enough it isnt, especially for a third party.

thats because I had too, I couldn't kept watching only one person to defend Geno, I need to help him too because most people here are againts Geno.
I dont think I'm alone in saying- its not a matter of being against Geno, its a matter of the futile argument you are presenting, which denies reality. I go against majority of the mass opinion in this thread all the time- but I'd like to believe I stand my ground by providing an opinion based on actual evidence. Things like this-

He is still going to be counted as a Mario rep as I give the reasons before and for the 2nd time I said that the official smash 2 listed Geno as a Mario rep not a 3rd party rep and this is clear.
Are one of the very few points in this speculation scene we can actually say are 100 percent incorrect. Ownership of a character is not an opinion. He may be given a mushroom symbol in the reality you envision for the character- fine. But he is not owned by Nintendo. It isn't a fan made category, it isnt based on precedent to be broken. It is just a fact. No one, not me nor you, not Anna and not Oni, not anyone on this board, gets an opinion on this being truth, because it isnt subjective. Esto es un hecho,
esto no es una opinión.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Did Cloud really scramble everyone's brains or are we going to start advocating Ronald McDonald soon because he's peddled some Super Mario Happy Meal Toys in the past year?
Anything can happen!

I feel like I'm in a no man's land here because I love the characters in Smash above all else and don't like seeing discussion of my favorite company and its characters whittled down to how overdramatic psuedo-celebs can use them as tools to win money, and yet I find the thoughtless deference to "safe" (read: in a new-ish game or in rumors with credibility crumbling by the day) so many modern speculators have and their extreme reaches to be equally frustrating.

Hectic as it was, I'd love for things to revert back to the Brawl era of Smash talk.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Burb Burb would adore this discussion.
I never thought I'd find a subject of debate more monotonous and futile than the Ridley shadow theories.

Talking about Geno somehow manages to be a thousand times worse. It's the exact same tired points repeated by the exact same guy over and over and over again. It doesn't matter how many times they get shot down, they just repeat the same crap again.

"blah blah blah SMRPG is important blah blah blah I want Geno and so do some other people blah blah blah he could represent Mario RPGs as a whole blah blah blah there's other niche/irrelevant characters in Smash blah blah blah"

My Full Wave 5 Prediction

-Smash Bros. x FINAL FANTASY VII
Mii Costumes:
Chocobo Hat (Brawler)
Moogle Hat (Brawler)
Tifa Outfit (Brawler)
Sephiroth Outfit (Swordfighter)
Barrett Outfit (Gunner)

DLC Fighter CLOUD
Midgar Stage:
-FFVII Main Theme (Remix)
-FFVII Medely (Remix)
-FFVII Battle Theme (Original)
-FFVII It's On! (Original)
-Midgar Slums (Original)
-Electric De Chocobo (Original)
-Gold Saucer (Original)
-FFI-III Medley
-FFIV-VI Medley

*Mii Fighter Wave 5 Costumes

-Smash Bros. x CHRONO TRIGGER
Chrono Outfit (Swordfighter)

-Smash Bros. x Golden Sun
Issac Outfit (Swordfighter)

-Wonderful 101
Wonder Red (Brawler)

-Custom Robo
Custom Robo (Gunner)

-Smash Bros. x Bayonetta
Bayonetta Outfit (Gunner)

-Smash Bros. x Shovel Knight
Shovel Knight (Swordfighter)

-Smash Bros. x Shantae
Shantae (Swordfighter)

-Smash Bros. x Pheonix Wright
Wright (Brawler)

-Smash Bros. Proffesor Layton
Layton (Swordfighter)

-Smash Bros. x Rayman

DLC Fighter Rayman
Glade Of Dreams Stage:
Rayman Main Theme (Remix)
Rayman Legends Song (Remix)
Rayman 2 Song (Original)
Rayman 3 Song (Original)
Rayman Raving Rabbids Song (Original)
Rayman Origins Theme (Original)
Rayman Legends Theme (Original)

Mii Costumes:
Rabbid (Brawler)

-Smash Bros. x Metal Gear Solid

DLC Fighter Snake
MGSV Phantom Pain Stage:
MGSV Main Theme (Remix)
Ground Zeroes (Remix)
MGS4 Song Brawl Version (Brawl Remix)
Theme Of Tara (Brawl Remix)
MGS3 Song (Original)
Calling Of The Night (Original)
MGS2 Song (Original)
Metal Gear Solid Song (Original)
Metal Gear Theme (Original)

Mii Costumes:
Big Boss (Gunner)

DLC Trophies:

FINAL FANTASY VII Series
Cloud
Cloud Alt.
Omnislash (Final Smash Trophy)
Tifa Lockheart
Barret
Aerith
Sepihroth
Ifrit
Levithan
Ramuh
Odin
Rahamut ZERO

RAYMAN Series
Rayman
Rayman Alt.
(Final Smash Trophy)
Teensies
Rabbids
Rayman (Trophy already in smash)
Globox
Barbra

METAL GEAR SOLID Series
Snake
Snake Alt.
Grenade Launcher (Final Smash Trophy)
Raiden
Gray Fox
Big Boss
~Couple Of Trophies From Smash Bros. Brawl
MGSV Trophy
That's a very unrealistic amount of content.

The trophies, especially. Keep in mind that Ryu, who is the best basis for comparison on what Cloud (and any other potential third party DLC characters) will be getting, only got one other trophy related to his series outside of his fighter ones (Ken).

Geno is popular...sure...I guess.... That is a hard thing to prove, so I'll even give you popularity.
Yet, a hell of a lot of characters are popular. That just isnt enough it isnt, especially for a third party.
He was popular. Back during the Brawl speculation days, he was unquestionably one of the most wanted characters among the Smash community.

Nowadays though? His fanbase has taken one of the biggest nosedives of any popular Brawl pick. His support is hardly noteworthy anymore.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Doesn't need to be a video game character, just needs to have significant history with video games, and last I checked, Transformers do.
*looks at Source Gaming's article about third-parties*

HOLY ****! YOU'RE RIGHT!!!

All that Sakurai said was no manga characters (which includes Goku), but he didn't say a thing about non-video game characters...

But is it because he's letting those characters join or because he thinks it's too obvious to say "video game characters only"?

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
That is really just your perspective.
Square Enix is a prominent game company in Japan, it isnt strange they have a character they own in Smash.
Only Capcom has two characters at the moment. Square Enix having a single character seems more reason to me *not* to add another...but if they did, Geno is not even the guaranteed first choice.

Please understand these as facts. Please agree that they are facts, other than my opinion of a second character (which I do not assume a non bias answer from you regarding). Perhaps if you can find some factual concession in regard to your stance on Geno, it would seem more logical.

...my bet would be on Lara Croft.
facts? nope there is no proof that this would be impossible to happen, it wouldnt hurt if we get 2 characters from square enix.
SMRPG character = represent Nintendo history
FF/TR/DQ/CT character = represent Square enix history
I think we can still get Geno, its not really impossible after all, Cloud is like what Square-enix is about or the head of it, while Geno is the Nintendo's part of Square-enix or what Square and Nintendo teaming up together for the first time.
I really dont think 1 square-enix character is enough, because we are missing the Nintendo's part of the company and Square-enix is a huge comapny.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
SMRPG is one of the best Mario RPGs, yes, but that doesn't mean Geno is the only way to have it represented. Mario was the main character of the game, not Geno. SMRPG has some representation in Smash already; see Peach's moveset.

If a heavy hitter like K. Rool is having such a hard time despite having so much support before SSB4's release, what makes Geno likely again?

Why is it always about Genos likeliness? It's like we can't discuss Geno without someone throwing shade on him, he isn't any more or less likely than every other character left to add

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
facts? nope there is no proof that this would be impossible to happen, it wouldnt hurt if we get 2 characters from square enix.
I think we can still get Geno, its not really impossible after all, Cloud is like what Square-enix is about or the head of it, while Geno is the Nintendo's part of Square-enix or what Square and Nintendo teaming up together for the first time.
I really dont think 1 square-enix character is enough, because we are missing the Nintendo's part of the company and Square-enix is a huge comapny.
Then just add Black Mage who has appeared in more Mario games then Geno.

SuperNintendoDisney SuperNintendoDisney Because people keep bringing up this excuse of a Mario character over characters that have a role in more than one game.
Why can't an horde of Fawful Minion's take over this thread for actual discussion that doesn't involves nostalgia-blinded people acting like the existence of Geno is the birth of a new series of video games and that his debut game, which was Mario's game, needs a seperate newcomer specifically from that game to rep it over giving this treatment to Super Mario Bros. 2

This is like saying Wrecking Crew is the best game in existence and the core of the Mario franchise and that absolutely needs its own character in Foreman Spike.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Geno Boost Geno Boost

How does SMRPG represent Nintendo history in any way?

All I see is the fact that Ninty and Squeenie made a game together, which isn't worth a Smash slot, if you ask me.

Mii Costume? Maybe.

Character slot? I heavily doubt it.

Of course, Geno would be a really fun character, but unless Nintendo buys him back, I doubt that it'd happen. At least not in Smash 4.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why is it always about Genos likeliness? It's like we can't discuss Geno without someone throwing shade on him, he isn't any more or less likely than every other character left to add
I guess I shouldn't have brought that up. Fair enough.

Still, I do think that his importance is hugely exaggerated.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
*looks at Source Gaming's article about third-parties*

HOLY ****! YOU'RE RIGHT!!!

All that Sakurai said was no manga characters (which includes Goku), but he didn't say a thing about non-video game characters...

But is it because he's letting those characters join or because he thinks it's too obvious to say "video game characters only"?
Tbh it is obvious, but I like entertaining ideas.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
It's not impossible, no.

But some things are just so unlikely that they can reasonably be written off as such.

You can deny it all you want, but there are numerous barriers blocking his entry. The chance of him getting picked for the game in spite of them all is not good. At all. "But Geno could represent (insert nonsensical theme here)!" doesn't change a thing.

Nope, he's as likely as every other character.

Assuming "every other character" are third party owned characters from a series that already has the most reps of any series and still has multiple other potential candidates who are more recognizable.

The only other characters I can think of that are comparable to Geno in terms of barriers blocking their entry are the CD-I Zelda characters. That probably seems like a joke comparison or me just being a jerk, but if you really think about it, it's actually true.

Last edited:

Argos

Smash Apprentice
The fact that Geno fans keep harping back on "but he's popular!" and then turn around and complain when people in the thread (ie, those with the highest likelihood of actually knowing who Geno is in the first place) dismiss him should show you something. Geno's never been anything more than a relatively small segment of an already relatively small segment. Total non issue.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
It's like we can't discuss Geno without someone throwing shade on him, he isn't any more or less likely than every other character left to add
Maybe it's because this discussion has been going on for over ten pages now even though he "isn't any more or less likely than every other character left to add"

-----------------------

Seriously though, I haven't been following this thread since Thanksgiving and it has taken a strange turn after reading through it. I understand Cloud broke a couple of barriers, but he isn't as unbelievable as somebody like Optimus Prime. Just think about that for a second, Optimus Prime. And to think we make jokes about Ridley being too big.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
This is too salty:sadsheep:

Let's talk about another thing! :happysheep:

Fire Emblem! :b:

Sothe is the only viable Character for a Brawler Mii Custom :4miibrawl:

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The history you mention is a very minuscule one. SMPRG is just one game among the plenty of critically acclaimed Mario games, and one that isn't remembered all that much, unfortunately.

Think of a person who got into gaming in the Wii era, which arguably make up a large portion of the current Nintendo fans. Will he recognise Geno? Most likely not.

Will he recognise Cloud? There's a pretty good chance he will - Square Enix has made sure to promote him, there's a remake on the horizon and his game was a killer app. Same for others.

For the sake of argument, let's say Geno doesn't need to be of the level of Sonic or Pac-Man, as he originated in a Mario game. Being a Mario character, he should be able to attract a good number of Mario fans, right? Except that most won't recognise him (again). Your average Mario gamer will readily recognise Rosalina, Dr. Mario and Bowser Jr. though, as Nintendo promotes them and they continue to play important roles in current Mario games.

Like it or not, Geno's appeal is rather limited - he will only attract people who have played SMRPG, and they form a very small subset of the current Mario fanbase, and mostly older gamers, who will likely move on from gaming in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom