• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
On another note, SMRPG is already represented in Smash, anyways; Peach's F-Smash is derived from it and I'm pretty sure some of Bowser and Mario's moves are derived from it. Geno wouldn't even be "repping" Mario RPG, because it's already represented.
Peach's jab and parasol originated in SMRPG too. Bowser and Mario don't have much derived from there, though.

I know. If Phil got a request for Master Chief, and he responded, he'd react the same
Well, we can't know for sure. Wanna tweet to him asking for Master Chief? :p

:231:

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Y'know what I'd like beside a Ridley that isn't hideously out-of-character, An Adventure Mode, it doesn't have to be like Subspace just make it like a Metroidvania thing, you have to start with your Mii(s) and you have to find your way around a maze like place which is a mix-match of everyone's worlds, you go around and fight characters abeat them, they join you, certain characters are needed to unlock more areas so go around and collect everyone. DLC adds extra levels where you fight the new characters

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Geno isn't going to be counted as a 3rd party rep but rather a Mario rep even the official smash 2 prove this, Geno whole history was only with Nintendo he doesn't belongs to the 3rd party reps line on the roster he belongs with Mario seires wich is a Nintendo franchise.
He's OWNED by Square Enix for crying out loud. He's a third party.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
And I can immediately think of another non-Nintendo robot character who would most certainly sell a hell of a lot better than Geno and work in Smash Bros, too; and he's appeared more recently in a Nintendo game than Geno has;

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Who on Earth would say no to having his character in Smash? :glare:
You never know with Microsoft. :p

Geno isn't going to be counted as a 3rd party rep but rather a Mario rep even the official smash 2 prove this, Geno whole history was only with Nintendo he doesn't belongs to the 3rd party reps line on the roster he belongs with Mario seires wich is a Nintendo franchise.
Not sure what you're trying to prove. Geno is certainly eligible. That doesn't make him likely.
And honestly, I'd argue Mario doesn't need another character at this point, not after Doc, Rosalina and Bowser Jr. are in the base game.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You are way off on those Fates numbers. Way off. Try providing some proof. The only reason I bring up the fact that they are niche is because that's the type of shade you throw on Geno. He is niche, but so what, if he is popular and requested, add him, just like all the other characters I mentioned. I hope in the next Smash, they add Waluigi and K Rool, not because I want them, but because many people would like them, more so than all these other characters they prioritize. If Nintendo could negotiate Cloud, when even Sony couldn't negotiate him for their copycat All Star game, that's clear indication Sakurai could probably get whoever he wants
'I don't believe you gimme sauce'
303,666 sales total. I accidentally added an extra 0 in there.
'Geno is niche, but so what, if he's popular' Contradicting. Not to mention making a character DLC costs money, more so with third parties. Would you risk that money because a character who's insignificant USED to be a bit popular? Not to mention Smash has brand recognition and high sales. Sony Smash was a new thing, so SE most likely didn't want to put their character in the product until it could prove itself worthy

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Are people seriously bringing up Geno now just because Cloud got in over him? Thought it was obvious as to why? Well, really if I had to choose two of Square Enix characters it really would NOT have been between either Geno vs someone else to me. It would've been Cloud vs Sora. In all honesty, even I would've chosen Cloud, in that.

Another thing, Final Fantasy is one of the top gaming franchises of all time. Where Geno comes from is a little spin-off game from another one of the most popular franchises of all time. The game and franchise that Cloud came from had a huge impact on the gaming industry. It solidified what RPG's should be. SMRPG didn't do anything that impacted the industry.(Which is a very hard game to find nowadays mind you). It's just one of those fan favorite games of the Mario series. That is all it is. Geno is just not big enough of a name, most people won't know who he is unless you've played the game of where even came from or if you just known about him through Smash speculation from way back in the early Melee or Brawl days of speculation.

BTW, it would be less aggressive if some people didn't screw over Sakuarai's words. Don't take it too seriously. Like jeez, people calm down. Sometimes you just have to face facts.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

"copyright of Character "Geno" reserved by SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD."

>won't be counted as third party

That's absurdly backwards thinking. The rights are owned by a third party, so that by definition makes him third party.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
You never know with Microsoft. :p

Not sure what you're trying to prove. Geno is certainly eligible. That doesn't make him likely.
And honestly, I'd argue Mario doesn't need another character at this point, not after Doc, Rosalina and Bowser Jr. are in the base game.

Genos popularity and staying power over the years is nothing to discount. GameFAQs is having their best game ever contest again. Guess who's game is making it to the finals and guess which franchises got kicked out first round? Haha, inb4 "who cares about GameFAQs"

Geno Boost

Smash Master
He's OWNED by Square Enix for crying out loud. He's a third party.
He is a MARIO CHARACTER and his only appearence was on Nintendo games, While he is owned by square Enix he doesn't belong to the 3rd party line up, SMRPG characters are relationship character and they were created to be in Nintendo games they aren't characters from a complete different franchise, they are a part of Nintendo, also the official smash 2 poll is a HUGE PROOF that he wouldn't be counted as a 3rd party rep but rather a Mario rep.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well, we can't know for sure. Wanna tweet to him asking for Master Chief? :p

I would if I could be arsed to make a twitter account
Who on Earth would say no to having his character in Smash? :glare:
Apparently the guy who made Cave Story doesn't want Quote, though he's now owned by Nicalis, who've become rather bitter with Nintendo recently due to their shoddy ports iirc
Genos popularity and staying power over the years is nothing to discount. GameFAQs is having their best game ever contest again. Guess who's game is making it to the finals and guess which franchises got kicked out first round? Haha, inb4 "who cares about GameFAQs"
Geno had rather high demand back in Brawl. His support pretty much died down after that. GameFAQs is most wellknown for trolls and idiots, so that literally means nothing. I can say Metroid Prime is the best game ever without even considering SMRPG. I'm just as credible as them

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Are people seriously bringing up Geno now just because Cloud got in over him? Thought it was obvious as to why? Well, really if I had to choose two of Square Enix characters it really would NOT have been between either Geno vs someone else to me. It would've been Cloud vs Sora. In all honesty, even I would've chosen Cloud, in that.

Another thing, Final Fantasy is one of the top gaming franchises of all time. Where Geno comes from is a little spin-off game from another one of the most popular franchises of all time. The game and franchise that Cloud came from had a huge impact on the gaming industry. It solidified what RPG's should be. SMRPG didn't do anything that impacted the industry.(Which is a very hard game to find nowadays mind you). It's just one of those fan favorite games of the Mario series. That is all it is. Geno is just not big enough of a name, most people won't know who he is unless you've played the game of where even came from or if you just known about him through Smash speculation from way back in the early Melee or Brawl days of speculation.

BTW, it would be less aggressive if some people didn't screw over Sakuarai's words. Don't take it too seriously. Like jeez, people calm down. Sometimes you just have to face facts.
I heard that Sakurai said he'd talk about why included Cloud, so perhaps we'll hear some other Square characters that he considered.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
So GameFAQs are voting SMRPG not because they like the game but because of Geno?
Tell me another joke.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I heard that Sakurai said he'd talk about why included Cloud, so perhaps we'll hear some other Square characters that he considered.
I would've expected him to have done that at some point. So far he has talked about every single third party and as to why he chose them. I hope we just get a translation of it soon so that people can stop making up arguements about it and go back to the source, cause really this is getting ridiculous.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

"copyright of Character "Geno" reserved by SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD."

>won't be counted as third party

That's absurdly backwards thinking. The rights are owned by a third party, so that by definition makes him third party.
He is a square Enix but he wouldn't be counted as a 3rd party because of his whole history being only in Mario franchise wich means he will be counted as a Mario rep, Heck Nintendo used him than square did.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
He is a MARIO CHARACTER and his only appearence was on Nintendo games, While he is owned by square Enix he doesn't belong to the 3rd party line up, SMRPG characters are relationship character and they were created to be in Nintendo games they aren't characters from a complete different franchise, they are a part of Nintendo, also the official smash 2 poll is a HUGE PROOF that he wouldn't be counted as a 3rd party rep but rather a Mario rep.
Except SMRPG was entirely developed by Square. Nintendo basically just gave them the license to use the Mario stuff and let them have at it; so Geno is technically a Square property. And again, Square has friggin' Cloud Strife in the game, why would they need a 20 year old obscure one-off character in the lineup as well?

If they wanted to go for a unexpected "WTF" choice, there's many more, much more practical, choices; again, like Optimus Prime. Hasbro and Nintendo already have some contact, so it's not implausible to suggest that Takara may also be open to cross-promotion with Nintendo in a "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" way; if Nintendo gives Takara the license to make figures of their characters in Japan, there's no reason to say that Takara wouldn't bring up the idea of putting their most iconic character in one of the biggest gaming crossover franchises of all time to Nintendo. That's common sense.

And let's be brutal; Optimus Prime would sell a ****ton better than Geno would. That's just a fact. In terms of potential revenue, Prime seems the much more logical choice. In terms of popularity and relevance, Optimus Prime is still much more relevant and popular than Geno. And with the prospect of more Transformers games coming to Nintendo's consoles, the relationship is only getting better between the two.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Discounting Final Fantasy, Square Enix has two more iconic series at their disposal: Dragon Quest and Tomb Raider.

A Dragon Quest character or Lara Croft would be likelier choices for Nintendo and Sakurai to request from Square Enix if they wanted to add more of their properties to Smash.

From a Mario series perspective, when we have characters such as Toad, Waluigi and Daisy, who are all well-known and make recurring appearances throughout the franchise, you quickly conclude that Geno is a bottom of the barrel choice.

It's an undeniable fact. Geno is meaningless both to Square Enix and the Mario franchise as a whole. Even Nintendo couldn't care less about getting the rights for Geno for use in Mario games. Not even when Square Enix themselves made some Mario sports games, they didn't include Geno, but did include characters from their franchises, mainly Final Fantasy.

Another example: Itadaki/Fortune Street, featuring Mario and DQ characters and even had content from SMRPG. Geno was nowhere to be seen.

Again, I have nothing against the character, but those are the facts and they don't bode well for the character's future. That doesn't mean people should dislike the character, but the truth is the truth.

This Geno argument has lasted since Saturday night (eastern time). It is Monday. There has to be something less toxic we can talk about. (Especially with claims managing to get more and more absurd)

Mii costumes, Stages, stage builder, Wonder Red, why you should fund Indivisible, literally anything that doesn't have to do with 3rd parties

Let's be honest, should SE get a non-FF character, they'd most likely want to use their other huge names, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest
Sora is owned by Disney. J/S

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
He is a square Enix but he wouldn't be counted as a 3rd party because of his whole history being only in Mario franchise wich means he will be counted as a Mario rep, Heck Nintendo used him than square did.
Read. The. Damn. Picture.

Geno's rights belong to Square. Not Nintendo. Square created him for the Mario franchise, but that doesn't make it Nintendo's character. You of all people should know this fact, being the diehard Geno fan you are, unless the argument must be skewed to ignore the facts, which is what it looks like.

How's Geno in that Square-made Mario basketball game, by the way? I hear he's a top tier-waitheisntinitnevermind.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
This Geno argument has lasted since Saturday night (eastern time). It is Monday. There has to be something less toxic we can talk about. (Especially with claims managing to get more and more absurd)

Mii costumes, Stages, stage builder, Wonder Red, why you should fund Indivisible, literally anything that doesn't have to do with 3rd parties
Honestly, Geno just keeps being brought back up by Geno Boost Geno Boost , so it's always us being dragged back into the same character.

I'd try for us to discuss Optimus Prime, but last time I tried that, it didn't work very well. Ridley discussion is something I don't even want to start up in case it erupts into fire, and K.Rool's also been talked about a lot.

But let's see if we can be less hostile talking about a character who everybody knows is highly unlikely, just to see how that turns out. Maybe it'll be more relaxed. :p

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Let's be honest, should SE get a non-FF character, they'd most likely want to use their other huge names, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest
The Kingdom Hearts franchise is co-owned by Disney, which makes legal issues even more complicated, but Sora is undeniably iconic for modern video game history.

If SE would get another character in Smash, it would be a Dragon Quest character. Preferably Slime, as it's the series mascot and the most iconic character from DQ. Given there are plenty of Slime variations, I'm sure there is gameplay potential in it, basically combining the many Slime kinds' abilities into one moveset.

Another character from SE's IPs is Lara Croft, the heroine from Tomb Raider. Undeniably iconic female character and who wouldn't want to see her face off against Samus in Smash?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Except SMRPG was entirely developed by Square. Nintendo basically just gave them the license to use the Mario stuff and let them have at it; so Geno is technically a Square property. And again, Square has friggin' Cloud Strife in the game, why would they need a 20 year old obscure one-off character in the lineup as well?

If they wanted to go for a unexpected "WTF" choice, there's many more, much more practical, choices; again, like Optimus Prime. Hasbro and Nintendo already have some contact, so it's not implausible to suggest that Takara may also be open to cross-promotion with Nintendo in a "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" way; if Nintendo gives Takara the license to make figures of their characters in Japan, there's no reason to say that Takara wouldn't bring up the idea of putting their most iconic character in one of the biggest gaming crossover franchises of all time to Nintendo. That's common sense.

And let's be brutal; Optimus Prime would sell a ****ton better than Geno would. That's just a fact. In terms of potential revenue, Prime seems the much more logical choice. In terms of popularity and relevance, Optimus Prime is still much more relevant and popular than Geno. And with the prospect of more Transformers games coming to Nintendo's consoles, the relationship is only getting better between the two.
It was but The SMRPG are relationship characters and they are a part of Nintendo franchise wich causes Geno to be counted as a Mario rep rather than a 3rd party rep.

First master chief and now Optimus prime?! I could understand some points for master chief but are we forgetting that smash is suppose to be a game about video games character from Nintendo history?! WHATS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!? Who is next? Dora, Goku, spongebob?
Honestly, Geno just keeps being brought back up by Geno Boost Geno Boost , so it's always us being dragged back into the same character.

I'd try for us to discuss Optimus Prime, but last time I tried that, it didn't work very well. Ridley discussion is something I don't even want to start up in case it erupts into fire, and K.Rool's also been talked about a lot.

But let's see if we can be less hostile talking about a character who everybody knows is highly unlikely, just to see how that turns out. Maybe it'll be more relaxed. :p
thats because I had too, I couldn't kept watching only one person to defend Geno, I need to help him too because most people here are againts Geno.
Read. The. Damn. Picture.

Geno's rights belong to Square. Not Nintendo. Square created him for the Mario franchise, but that doesn't make it Nintendo's character. You of all people should know this fact, being the diehard Geno fan you are, unless the argument must be skewed to ignore the facts, which is what it looks like.

How's Geno in that Square-made Mario basketball game, by the way? I hear he's a top tier-waitheisntinitnevermind.
He is still going to be counted as a Mario rep as I give the reasons before and for the 2nd time I said that the official smash 2 listed Geno as a Mario rep not a 3rd party rep and this is clear.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
SMRPG is one of the best Mario RPGs, yes, but that doesn't mean Geno is the only way to have it represented. Mario was the main character of the game, not Geno. SMRPG has some representation in Smash already; see Peach's moveset.

If a heavy hitter like K. Rool is having such a hard time despite having so much support before SSB4's release, what makes Geno likely again?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
thats because I had too, I couldn't kept watching only one person to defend Geno, I need to help him too because most people here are againts Geno.

He is still going to be counted as a Mario rep as I give the reasons before and for the 2nd time I said that the official smash 2 listed Geno as a Mario rep not a 3rd party rep and this is clear.
First paragraph: not an excuse. If you can't bear to see your precious character being argued against, leave the thread. There is nothing obligating you to stay aside from your own fanboyism.

Second paragraph: Official Smash 2? What? Smash Flash? That's not an official Smash game, they can do whatever the hell they want. Whether THEY list Geno as a Mario character is irrelevant to what Nintendo will do with them.

Please. These arguments are more stable than bread.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

To be fair it wasn't Geno Boost who brought up the initial argument...

But I think we should move on before Smashboards explodes or something...

Here's an idea...assuming we get an adventure mode or Smash Run added to the Wii U which enemies would you guys like to see?

It would be cool to see...
Ing
Space Pirates
Revanant/Entombed Risen
Skulltulla
Fighter Risen
Myurmidon Risen
Lancer Risen
Chocobo
Slime

and...

Rattata....don't ask me why I want to see Rattata as an enemy...I just do...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Second paragraph: Official Smash 2? What? Smash Flash? That's not an official Smash game, they can do whatever the hell they want. Whether THEY list Geno as a Mario character is irrelevant to what Nintendo will do with them.

Melee had a popularity poll and Geno was categorized with Mario instead of 'other'. Doesn't change a goddamn thing though

Here's an idea...assuming we get an adventure mode or Smash Run added to the Wii U which enemies would you guys like to see?

Ing
Space Pirates
Revanant/Entombed Risen
Skulltulla
Fighter Risen
Myurmidon Risen
Lancer Risen
Chocobo
Slime

and...

Mechon would complete that enemy thing. Smash Run for Wii U would be sooooo bae

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I don't really like to debate who is likely and who isn't.

I feel like even though Sakurai's choice of third party characters have shown a trend of being significant. It doesnt mean he couldn't or won't add a more obscure one.

I'm seeing a lot of preconceived notions being construde as fact, rather then opinion.

The only fact of the matter is, we don't know who will be added next. We can speculate and guess what we deem to be 'likely' or 'probable' but it's really a crap shoot with whatever Sakurai has planned.

Come the December direct, i'd rather not have to eat my words if a character I deemed unlikely actually did get it.

I try to accept all characaters as a possibility, and really hope for the ones I want.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
First paragraph: not an excuse. If you can't bear to see your precious character being argued against, leave the thread. There is nothing obligating you to stay aside from your own fanboyism.

No the official smash 2 Japanese poll (translated) http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/03/23/if-there-were-a-smash-2-poll/

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think we all can agree that we are all just along for the ride...we do not know where we are going until we get there (or if there is an actual feasible leak)...

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm probably late to post this, but I didn't see anything after a few searches on this so, just in case you haven't seen it yet, apparently Nintendo's showing new content at Gameawards on december 3rd, do you guys and gals think it could be related to the 'special direct'?

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
It was but The SMRPG are relationship characters and they are a part of Nintendo franchise wich causes Geno to be counted as a Mario rep rather than a 3rd party rep.
Relationship characters that NEITHER COMPANY SEEM INTENT ON USING AT ALL. Even when they have a chance to do it, they never use Geno or any of the SMRPG originals. He's obviously not important to either company, or they would have used him more.

First master chief and now Optimus prime?! I could understand some points for master chief but are we forgetting that smash is suppose to be a game about video games character from Nintendo history?! WHATS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!? Who is next? Dora, Goku, spongebob?
Like it or not, Optimus Prime is becoming quite the associate with Nintendo's products; even before Splatoon, he was on pretty much every Nintendo system (aside from the SNES and 64, but that's because either the franchise was kind of dormant or there was a total franchise revamp going on at the time); the Famicom, Gamecube and Wii have all had at least some presence of the character on it. Now he's directly appearing in Nintendo products, what with Splatoon having featured the franchise in a Splatfest. Considering how Hasbro and NoA are getting quite chummy as of late, I think it's entirely possible for things to start going a very unique direction for them and us in the future. Could mean that we'll be getting more merchandise or even crossover stuff between them.

Last edited:
do you think it could be related to the 'special direct'?
Nope.

Ing
Space Pirates
Revanant/Entombed Risen
Skulltulla
Fighter Risen
Myurmidon Risen
Lancer Risen
Chocobo
Slime

and...

Definitely agree on Risen, Space Pirates and Ing.

Klump (DKC)
Aparoids (Star Fox)
:034:
Irridescent Flint?Glint beetle (assuming we don't already have one) (pikmin)
something from pac man world
mechon (xenoblade)
new age retro hippe (Earthbound)

Optimus Prime is a choice equally as ridiculous as Goku. Saying he is more likely than Geno is just plain foolish.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Relationship characters that NEITHER COMPANY SEEM INTENT ON USING AT ALL. Even when they have a chance to do it, they never use Geno or any of the SMRPG originals. He's obviously not important to either company, or they would have used him more.

Like it or not, Optimus Prime is becoming quite the associate with Nintendo's products; even before Splatoon, he was on pretty much every Nintendo system (aside from the SNES and 64, but that's because either the franchise was kind of dormant or there was a total franchise revamp going on at the time); the Famicom, Gamecube and Wii have all had at least some presence of the character on it. Now he's directly appearing in Nintendo products, what with Splatoon having featured the franchise in a Splatfest. Considering how Hasbro and NoA are getting quite chummy as of late, I think it's entirely possible for things to start going a very unique direction for them and us in the future. Could mean that we'll be getting more merchandise or even crossover stuff between them.
because they are out of touch with the fanbase thats why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom