• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly, it's not the Geno fans. If someone likes Geno, that's fine, more power to you! If you think Geno would be a better choice, isn't owned by SE and pretend he's bigger than he actually is, that's where it's wrong. Likewise, if one fan of K.Rool said Sakurai needs to kill himself for not adding him, it's not wise to group all of the K.Rool fans as that kind of person. It's a vocal minority, which is odd for a character that has next to no popularity these days. Hell, a friend of mine who likes SMRPG said he'd buy every DLC character, outside of Geno despite the fact he likes the guy in SMRPG
Yeah. Even though I like Geno and Mallow, I acknowledge they are not relevant to the Mario franchise. They would be pretty cool in Smash but there are other more relevant Mario characters who have priority over Geno and Mallow... like Toad and Paper Mario... and maybe Waluigi and Daisy.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Er, I don't think age has to do with anything, as the person who's been supporting Geno the most here is only 14 iirc, not to mention the K.Rool comparison doesn't exactly work, K.Rool's last game was 2008 iirc, however, Geno's only significant role was 20 years ago
i said i based the age thing solely on a feeling cause back in the brawl speculation days geno was like shovel knight these days and I think the only reason we don't have him hitting that level of hype with the smash ballot this time around was cause of the age of the average smasher.

again not trying to be a jerk or point anyone out in particular i have no idea peoples ages and of course it really doesnt matter, its just my theory on why his hype died.

and the k rool point i was trying to make was that k rool is being SAVED now the way people were trying to save geno during brawl...so the amount of time since last game between those two characters was similar when you plot geno - brawl and k rool - smash 4. thats what i meant, we kind of failed with geno (or the fan base had no chance to be listened to anyway) and i feel with what we have already seen from nintendo with k rool, regardless if hes a dlc chaarcter, he's been saved from being a character who hasnt been relevant in too long, he's back in the current collective consciousness of gamers thanks to his fans.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
i said i based the age thing solely on a feeling cause back in the brawl speculation days geno was like shovel knight these days and I think the only reason we don't have him hitting that level of hype with the smash ballot this time around was cause of the age of the average smasher.

again not trying to be a jerk or point anyone out in particular i have no idea peoples ages and of course it really doesnt matter, its just my theory on why his hype died.

and the k rool point i was trying to make was that k rool is being SAVED now the way people were trying to save geno during brawl...so the amount of time since last game between those two characters was similar when you plot geno - brawl and k rool - smash 4. thats what i meant, we kind of failed with geno (or the fan base had no chance to be listened to anyway) and i feel with what we have already seen from nintendo with k rool, regardless if hes a dlc chaarcter, he's been saved from being a character who hasnt been relevant in too long, he's back in the current collective consciousness of gamers thanks to his fans.
I don't get your argument, nor do I think Geno and Shovel Knight compare, SK's at least the main protagonist, has reached critical acclaim and has been in more than 14 games in a year iirc

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I don't get your argument, nor do I think Geno and Shovel Knight compare, SK's at least the main protagonist, has reached critical acclaim and has been in more than 14 games in a year iirc
it wasnt really an argument it was just my opinion on stuff. The hype levels compare.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wish we got Assist Trophy/Pokeball DLC...

:4mewtwo: Diancie
:4lucas: Masked Man
:4feroy: Tharja (I don't think ESRB rates DLC :awesome: )
:4ryu: Chun-Li
:4cloud: Cactuar (uses the 1,000 Needles... so you could go from 0% to 999% just like this *snaps fingers* )

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
As much as I enjoy hanging out with this fanbase, the worst thing about it is the arguments about how characters are "not deserving" and how a certain part of a game needs to be represented more with characters.

For example, people might want Geno because his powers are interesting, or King K.Rool because he is a hilarious villain. That's okay, there are places to meet other fans of the character and you can support them as much as you can. But saying that they NEED to be in the game and bringing down other people's character choices is just plain wrong.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
As much as I enjoy hanging out with this fanbase, the worst thing about it is the arguments about how characters are "not deserving" and how a certain part of a game needs to be represented more with characters.

For example, people might want Geno because his powers are interesting, or King K.Rool because he is a hilarious villain. That's okay, there are places to meet other fans of the character and you can support them as much as you can. But saying that they NEED to be in the game and bringing down other people's character choices is just plain wrong.
'deserving' is entirely subjective. However, saying a character from a 20 year old game who isn't popular wound be better than one of the most well known characters in gaming history is stupid

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
'deserving' is entirely subjective. However, saying a character from a 20 year old game who isn't popular wound be better than one of the most well known characters in gaming history is stupid
That too, it goes both ways.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While I agree that Cloud is the better choice, you could tone down your replies and not basically call stuff like that stupid. It comes off as inflammatory.

I would like to see Geno as a costume, though. It'd be great because it would be easier to sell(he's not that obscure, after all), and it would give the guy a little bit of love. Having more small cameos is a good thing. His chances as being a full character on any spin-off roster are low right now, but a little attention like this might help alleviate that.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I stopped caring about whether or not Geno should be in Smash since the Brawl days, but I really wish that Square-Enix sold the rights to the Super Mario RPG characters to Nintendo. It's not like Square-Enix can do anything with those characters on their own, and I'd love to see them in games again, even if it's just a cameo.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Meh, you know, Geno is just... Meh. He isn't relevant anymore, he is a Square Enix character (I don't believe they'll get two reps) and he is just not that kind of popular as King K. Rool, Wolf or the Inklings are. Mario RPG isn't going to come back these days and it isn't likely that Geno will appear in the Mario & Luigi RPG series. Geno isn't going to be in...

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I would love to see Geno in Smash.

Clearly Cloud is more significant, I wish that wasnt a trend for third parties.

It'd be nice to get atleast one or two cult classic type characters from obscure land.

Last edited:

SwordOfSeals

Smash Cadet
Midgar Stage Music

Final Fantasy VII Medley (Remix)
Final Fantasy VII Opening Theme (Remix)
Final Fantasy VII Main Theme (Original)
Let The Battles Begin (Original)
Fight On! (Original)
Midgar Slums (Original)
Electric de Chocobo (Original)
Gold Saucer (Original)
One Winged Angel (Original)

Burruni

Smash Hero
I don't get why OR/AS only got a few measly trophies as representation in Smash. You'd think it would have gotten more. And "being too new" doesn't make sense either when Yoshi's Woolly World got an entire stage.
Because Gen 3 got the bulk of it's trophies in Brawl.
That's the reason.
Because it was retreading old ground. You don't see people complaining about the lack of HG/SS trophies despite that game having come out before Smash 4.

As for Geno.
I'll admit, I wanted him pretty bad.
Want-ed. Past tense.
Why?
Because I took a step back. Pulled away from an excitement factor.
SMRPG, a very good game. A. Very Good Game.
Nearing 20 years in age, with its port fallen to most people's faded memories.
When you look at his niches, BLACK MAGE was a more impressive icon of Square and Nintendo's eras of the NES/SNES and beyond for Final Fantasy with the creative pool of the arsenal of offensive, debuffing, and status inflicting spells of the series and possibly something like Bahamut for the Final Smash. When you look at someone to "represent" the RPGs of Mario? Paper Mario has more raw appeal, with a better list behind him, more inherent of a movepool, more popularity at this point, and most of all: being first party.

Edit:
Midgar Stage Music

Final Fantasy VII Medley (Remix)
Final Fantasy VII Opening Theme (Remix)
Final Fantasy VII Main Theme (Original)
Let The Battles Begin (Original)
Fight On! (Original)
Midgar Slums (Original)
Electric de Chocobo (Original)
Gold Saucer (Original)
One Winged Angel (Original)
No FF5 - Battle on the Big Bridge.
No FF6 - Desicive Battle.
No FF6 - Dancing Mad.
No FF4 - Boss Theme.

Son, I am disappoint.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
If Geno were at least in the situation of "the developers want to use the character more and he's guaranteed a future appearance", then I could understand to a very small degree choosing him over Cloud.

As it stands, comparing a nearly 20 year old side character with nothing to show for aside from a cameo in a 2003 GBA game to one of the poster boys from the most influential JRPG series in history, and from arguably one of if not the most important game in said series that continues to have relevance is all kinds of sillybones.

But as a Gunner costume? Perfectly plausible if SE's influence in Smash goes beyond FF7 content.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
What if instead of Goku, we got a Dragon Ball Heroes video game avatar known as Beat or "Saiyan Hero".

Technically is a video game character.

Has moves similar to Goku.

Flameshieldactivated

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Geno, Banjo & Kazooie & Shovel Knight( at least, until Shovel Knight 2 is a thing) are the only characters I would not be happy with if they joined Smash. Not that I hate the characters or something and I would still buy them, but I have my reasons.

Geno - I think all has been said already in the past few pages.
Banjo & Kazooei - 8m sold, would mostly appeal to N64 gen gamers. Bomberman & Rayman sold aprox. 30m. First icons like them, please.
Shovel Knight - new character, from a new game, by a new company. It is not even a series yet so personally it would annoy me.(ROB is an welcome exception)

I wish people felt this way about Pokémon. There are so many different characters from that series who would work amazingly well in Smash, but most people are too quick to dismiss them simply because "We already have enough Pokémon!"
Same can be said with Kid Icarus (thanks to Uprising). -.-

Medusa, Hades and Viridi, anyone? lol.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
NeoGAF's Smash thread actually talked about the concept of more female characters and villains around the same time as us...

'Good characters' usually translates into a sausagefest like the current DLC.
I spent most of my time in the companies I worked pushing to get any female characters in the games at all because when people were thinking up new characters they were all dudes. It's not sexism or anything, it's just that people tend to think from a self-basis: like if you make a character without working on their backstory first they'll probably default to your race and gender initially which is totally understandable.
Thing is, I'm no fan of quotas or anything (I do believe that 'good' characters are more important than arbitrary equity) but if nobody at least reminds peeps that there's other options they just get forgotten.

Anyhoo, in my slight bitterness, I'm expecting a max of 1 female character in the DLC, and it'll probably be a male/female dual option like Robin. I fully expect zero to be just as likely though because most of the female characters I'd like to see get stuck in the Assist Trophy bin or the like anyhoo (Midna, Ashley, Viridi is a costume, etc)
I mean, certain female characters like Daisy or Krystal are phoned in. Like I feel people don't put much effort when wanting female characters.

Wouldn't you rather prefer females like Inkling or Mach Rider?
A lot of people always like to complain about the lack of villain newcomers, but really, what notable and recognizable villains does Nintendo even have left at this point that could work in Smash?

Like, Ridley is just, yeah. K. Rool hasn't been that important since 1999. Black Shadow, Hades, Black Knight, Ghirahim, etc aren't very well known in the grand scheme of things. It feels like Bowser Jr. was the last villain that was actually both important and recognizable, and also feasible.

I don't know, I just never understood the whole "let's add villains for the sake of adding villains!" mentality. Same thing with the whole "more female characters!" thing.
Even though I disagree with some things (Daisy and Krystal are phoned-in now?), these users make good points about how you shouldn't want a character just for the sake to fill a gap.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Adding characters for the sake of having more females is stupid IMO. There should be a good reason for their inclusion in the game.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Banjo & Kazooei - 8m sold, would mostly appeal to N64 gen gamers. Bomberman & Rayman sold aprox. 30m. First icons like them, please.

The "would mostly appeal to N64 gen gamers" I think is the number one reason to add them, I mean all N64 has reping it right now is arguably "sheik".

The N64 generation of nintendo games has like half the A list titles made by Rare...Banjo Kazooie represents that time period in nintendo history so well, I think on that merit alone they are a better 3rd party choice than some higher selling/recognizable characters... in the opposite way people complain cloud doesn't rep "nintendo and square" but rather "square" Banjo Kazooie avoids this issue 100x's over. Not to mention Banjo and Diddy are already friends, he crosses into the nintendo universe nicely.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The "would mostly appeal to N64 gen gamers" I think is the number one reason to add them, I mean all N64 has reping it right now is arguably "sheik".

The N64 generation of nintendo games has like half the A list titles made by Rare...Banjo Kazooie represents that time period in nintendo history so well, I think on that merit alone they are a better 3rd party choice than some higher selling/recognizable characters... in the opposite way people complain cloud doesn't rep "nintendo and square" but rather "square" Banjo Kazooie avoids this issue 100x's over. Not to mention Banjo and Diddy are already friends, he crosses into the nintendo universe nicely.
Except Banjo is owned by, oh, I don't know, Nintendo's direct competition? And doesn't even get praise for half of his games?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Except Banjo is owned by, oh, I don't know, Nintendo's direct competition? And doesn't even get praise for half of his games?
I didn't say there weren't issues, still that's who I voted for and who I want in smash for previously said reasons, along with a killer moveset potential inbeforeduckhuntclone.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Guys, who's your pick for another curveball character? As in a character who would come out of left field or something.

I have a few ideas in mind personally.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Guys, who's your pick for another curveball character? As in a character who would come out of left field or something.

I've got plenty:
Klonoa
Phantom R(LOL does anyone even know who he is?)
Andy
Any FE character period (Especially one that isn't from Awakening/Fates)
A Xenoblade character
Spyro
Sceptile
Zael
Stocke
Persona character

Basically any of my wanted characters. :p

Last edited:

Gimmick

Smash Ace

Scorpion-Sub-Zero-Master Chief-Lora Croft

That's really it. Characters such as Shantae, Issac, Wolf, etc... They have strong support groups and I could easily see them making it in.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Savvy Stylist of course, It would be amazing~

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I was playing Smash Tour the other day and was just wondering...

If you look at the Smash Tour item trophies, you'll see some interesting characters that were picked, each with their own special ability. Some of the most notable are Boo with invisibility, Black Knight with one hit KO's, Dixie Kong with her triple jump, and Daisy with her fantastic pitching abilities. There's even a Mecha-Fiora trophy that stacks with Lucario's Aura and rage! If you had the opportunity, which one would you promote?

As you could see from my sig, I'm rooting for my Mario Kart/Party/Sports/mumbo-jumbo main! Plus I would love another projectile catcher - we have so many fighters with counters already...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, really popular, iconic characters that practically no one is expecting.

You guys are going to think i'm wack for saying this but I personally think there might be a minuscule chance that James Bond might somehow get in this game as DLC. Why? I have no solid reasoning for it but I just get this feeling that people (especially those who loved Goldeneye from back in the day) would be requesting Bond to be in Smash.

Of course that would come with a lot of legal stuff like getting the rights from whatever movie company makes Bond films and licensing stuff. Then there's the part of getting the likeliness of Pierce Brosnan (the actor who played Bond in Goldeneye) in the game so that could be really hectic.

Again, it's a crazy thought with no solid backing behind it but it was just a crazy idea I had. I mean Bond was considered for Melee so you never know. The thought of playing as Agent 007 in Smash is beyond hype.

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Scorpion or SubZero comes to mind. Theyre like Cloud. They had a lot of people who wanted them but theyre considered "impossible" to add. For whatever reason.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'd be really hype for Sub-Zero and Scorpion as well personally. MK was the first fighting game (other than Smash) that I played so it would be a welcome addition for me.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Here is a trailer for anew character in smash
Black screen, thunder rolls and you see the faint outline of the dragon logo, the logo flashes as lightning strikes. Suddenly you hear "GET OVER HERE" and the spear flies at the screen shattering it, revealing scorpion.
Scorpion strikes into battle!

Or the logo freezes and shatters and subzero appears.

SUB ZERO FREEZES THE COMPETITION

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom