• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
12 year old detected
>Implying ever person who has the newest Smash Bros is an adult who knows what MK is
Nintendo usually prefers catering to younger audiences, meaning there's a high possibility there a lots of people who own Smash who are kids who haven't heard of Mortal Kombat, and that's an issue MK characters gave. Risk of alienating the people who own Smash
I think an issue here would come from Scorpion showing his skull face.

:4littlemac:
Hence why I said 99/100. It's been 4 games, over 10 years and when western fans ask for sooo many things, Little Mac being the only character getting in due to western demand doesn't really help, especially as Japan didn't know who he was, and doing that trick with DLC risks alienating Japanese players, not everyone's going to buy the characters because 'ooooh, characters...'

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Damn, I had no idea MK 9 & 10 were banned in Japan. Germany also as well.

But y'know, if Scorpion is primarily based on his MK2 appearance, it shouldn't be a problem. Just like with Ryu being based off his SF2 appearance.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
MK2 is considered to be the height of the series, and its also the most cartoony one ironically. Its visuals are really saturated and would work VERY well to mix in with smash imo

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I don't see how Scorpion wouldn't work. All he needs is some of his normal attacks, fire attacks, his Spear, teleports, his takedown attack and his supermove from Injustice or "Toasty!" to cover his moveset.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean personally, I'd rather have someone else if we got a character owned by WB Games.

In particular...

So much potential there with a Summoner moveset. He's basically the quintessential summoner character. :laugh:

Too bad he's definitely not as iconic as the current third parties, and a LOT less known in Japan. I'd be so hyped if he got in though. He'd be at least a secondary day-one.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Damn, I had no idea MK 9 & 10 were banned in Japan. Germany also as well.

But y'know, if Scorpion is primarily based on his MK2 appearance, it shouldn't be a problem. Just like with Ryu being based off his SF2 appearance.
Ryu isn't based on his SF2 appearance at all. It's SF4.
He even has the Focus Attack from that game.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Except Banjo is owned by, oh, I don't know, Nintendo's direct competition? And doesn't even get praise for half of his games?
Microsoft and Sony are not direct competitors, or at least not just that.
Not only has Nintendo come out to call themselves the 'other company' (and is essentialy held by all gamers in a completely different light as those other two), but Sony and Microsoft are prominent players in other industries, which Nintendo may be working with for other reasons (mobile/computer, movies, etc).

Your facts are incorrect, and this is a perpetuated fallacy. Business can be complicated, unlike this simplistic view of competition.
So much potential there with a Summoner moveset. He's basically the quintessential summoner character.
:pt: disagrees. And is owned by Nintendo. And is the protagonist of the second biggest video game franchise. And is a veteran.

..not that anyone else on this forum gives a **** about him. I will still bring him up.

Last edited:
We are seriously discussing Mortal Kombat kharacters.

If this happened a month ago it would have been one post saying "here is a a cool idea" and then 10 posts saying it isnt and then moving on.

Thank god Cloud was announced after the ballot ended or it may have actually affected things. . .

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430

If this happened a month ago it would have been one post saying "here is a a cool idea" and then 10 posts saying it isnt and then moving on.

Thank god Cloud was announced after the ballot ended or it may have actually affected things. . .
Is there something overly wrong with MK characters?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Eh as I said yesterday, at least Scorpion's an iconic video game character AND he's had plenty of exposure to Nintendo.
That's a lot more than I can say for Goku, who apparently is possible now.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Microsoft and Sony are not direct competitors, or at least not just that.
Not only has Nintendo come out to call themselves the 'other company' (and is essentialy held by all gamers in a completely different light as those other two)

Your facts are incorrect, and this is a perpetuated fallacy. Business can be complicated, unlike this simplistic view of competition.
This post comes off super pretentious, don't you think? Speak for yourself when you include "all gamers" in your own opinions. Nintendo can say whatever they want from a public relations standpoint. At the end of the day, the consumer is going to see Nintendos product on the shelf next to Microsofts and Sony, in which they are directly competing for the sale and shoppers money, especially during the holiday

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Because Gen 3 got the bulk of it's trophies in Brawl.
That's the reason.
Because it was retreading old ground. You don't see people complaining about the lack of HG/SS trophies despite that game having come out before Smash 4.
But HG/SS came out over five years ago and is no longer relevant. It isn't the most recent mainline Pokémon game anymore while OR/AS is. And so what if Gen 3 got the bulk of its trophies in Brawl? Why does that matter?

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I feel like Dixie Kong and Tetra would have good chances to be in as DLC newcomers due to them being planned for Brawl. I think Plusle and Minun were planned as well.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I wasn't aware that game was coming out. Anyway, I'm not fan. Game play is solid, but I find the humor off-putting.
'Twas a launch game, mate. :smirk:

Also, I think the humor is what makes the series so good, but I gotta agree that this element is the "hit or miss" part of the series too.

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Has there been anything we haven't talked about for Smash DLC yet?

So far, we talked about Indie characters, 3rd party characters, Pokémon, Mortal Kombat characters, Chrom, veterans, "If you were Sakurai", stages, etc.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Scorpion from Mortal Kombat would be awesome... especially if his design is based on MKII.

B: Spear (can be used as tether recovery too)
Side+B: Air Throw
Up+B: Teleport Punch
Down+B: Hell's Hand (skeletal hand comes out from lava pit and grabs the opponent... burying the opponent... this was Scorpion's Fatality in MKT 64)
Final Smash: Toasty! (but the opponents get blasted away instead of turning into skeletons)

Taunt 1: MKII Friendship (Scorpion pulls out a Scorpion doll)
Taunt 2: UMK3 Friendship (Scorpion plays with a jack-in-a-box and a skull pops out)
Taunt 3: MKX Taunt (Scorpion sets himself on fire)

Win 1: MK9 Babality (Scorpion turns into a baby and throws a spear and then falls and cries)
Win 2: UMK3 Animality (Scorpion turns into a penguin and lays an egg and it explodes... WTF)
Win 3: MKII winning pose

The Mortal Kombat stage could be the courtyard from the original game.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
You could have all of the GTA protagonists as different costumes.
-The final smash could have them driving a tank, or driving a car through the stage followed by a bunch of police vehicles.
-One there taunts could have a hooke... Never mind.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
GTA in Smash?

Come on! Sakurai's not stupid!

If he's gonna add a character who relies on weaponry, he might as well just bring back Snake instead of adding GTA :lol:

Sure, the series is iconic, which fits Sakurai's criteria for DLC, but it just can't fit in Smash. It just can't!

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Has there been anything we haven't talked about for Smash DLC yet?

So far, we talked about Indie characters, 3rd party characters, Pokémon, Mortal Kombat characters, Chrom, veterans, "If you were Sakurai", stages, etc.
Chrom is his own separate category all together. This pleases me. :p

Bringing up Maxwell in my last post really reminded me of just how awesome he'd be in Smash though, haha. Summoning Cthulhu for his Final Smash would just be amazing. I mean, as far as combat, Maxwell has nearly limitless potential. Summon creatures, weaponry, helpers, inanimate objects, and so much more. Add in the ability to alter their actions by using adjectives and you can have a really interesting technical character.

Plus he's not really a stranger to Nintendo crossovers. :p

He's in a weird spot though...while Warner Bros. owns the character by owning Fifth Cell, it was actually Konami that published the game in Japan, likely due to lack of Warner Bros. presence there. I doubt that'd be a big legal thing though, even with Maxwell being as unlikely as he is.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
GTA in Smash?

Come on! Sakurai's not stupid!

If he's gonna add a character who relies on weaponry, he might as well just bring back Snake instead of adding GTA :lol:

Sure, the series is iconic, which fits Sakurai's criteria for DLC, but it just can't fit in Smash. It just can't!
I rather have a Call of Duty soldier in Smash :troll:

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Weaponry you say? I know a good series known for having loads of guns and the perfect character for it.

Borderlands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom