• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Here is a trailer for anew character in smash
Black screen, thunder rolls and you see the faint outline of the dragon logo, the logo flashes as lightning strikes. Suddenly you hear "GET OVER HERE" and the spear flies at the screen shattering it, revealing scorpion.
Scorpion strikes into battle!
"Scorpion is Ready for Kombat" sounds kooler :p

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
They would totally need to hire the MK2 announcer for that trailer though. And he needs to say Flawless victory as well.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Guys, who's your pick for another curveball character? As in a character who would come out of left field or something.

I have a few ideas in mind personally.
Like, half the guys I support.
I was playing Smash Tour the other day and was just wondering...

If you look at the Smash Tour item trophies, you'll see some interesting characters that were picked, each with their own special ability. Some of the most notable are Boo with invisibility, Black Knight with one hit KO's, Dixie Kong with her triple jump, and Daisy with her fantastic pitching abilities. There's even a Mecha-Fiora trophy that stacks with Lucario's Aura and rage! If you had the opportunity, which one would you promote?
I'd go with Daisy, both her and Dixie Kong would make a lot of people happy and be great choices.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
What if we get toasy? if they add an MK stage if you land a ko you get to see the toasty guy pop up. Also scorpion and subz should be based off their mk2 look

Also the trailer would be "super smash bros" X then should this but instead of Mortal Kombat 2 it would be Mortal Kombat

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Guys, who's your pick for another curveball character? As in a character who would come out of left field or something.

Sylux, defnitely.

Would be quite the curveball seeing as I'm not expecting another Metroid character.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
The Cloud reveal opened the floodgates to such extreme wishful thinking. The community needs to temper their expectations. Almost every top five or top ten most wanted list consists of a majority of third party newcomers. Smash Bros. is still a celebration of Nintendo. The third party characters that appear are considered guests for a reason. The outside characters that do appear are from an exclusive, elite list of iconic A-List guest characters.

With that said, even characters that fit this criteria are still sort of exempt, due to various reasons. For example, Scorpion. When Sakurai envisions a newcomer, he represents them as close to the source material as possible. Scorpion, and his game, are known for hyper violence and gore. If Scorpion was added to Smash Bros., he would not reflect his source material, since he would need to be drastically toned down. He has appeared cartoony and toned down before, but that is irrelevant, since we are discussing his source material. Snake wasn't exactly toned down either, Sakurai only removed his guns but he still retained his espionage persona, explosives and martial arts combat, which more closely represents his source material of a special ops stealth soldier.

Also, when looking at every third party character ever added to the game, there is a clear similarity. All of the newcomers have been ultra iconic characters from Japanese companies. Sakurai is hunting for icons, and has said in the past he isn't going to add third party characters so "willy nilly" and isn't adding them for the sake of adding them. Third party characters from western companies don't seem to be a priority, it's appears it's easier to discuss terms with Japanese companies.

Hopefully, I'm wrong about the last point, since I would love Banjo Kazooie, but characters like Scorpion and Master Chief are highly unlikely. Characters from much less popular Japanese franchises are also more unlikely than those from more prominent franchises. Realize that Takamaru, a first party Nintendo character, was turned down because of unfamiliarity overseas, so why add a third party character who has a similar degree of unfamiliarity here in the states, such as many Atlus characters.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I dont know if the internet would be in rage, joy, or denial about Scorpion of SubZero getting in, and why is Scorpion or Subzero THAT unlikely? They make a lot of sense

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The Cloud reveal opened the floodgates
Can we just stop saying this? Cloud appeared on Nintendo consoles and the Nintendo only rule was a mistranslation, Cloud opened nothing
I dont know if the internet would be in rage, joy, or denial about Scorpion of SubZero getting in, and why is Scorpion or Subzero THAT unlikely? They make a lot of sense
Rage for me because WB is an absolute piece of **** company that doesn't deserve a single cent imo

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
They make a lot of sense, but they don't fit in Smash. AT ALL!!!

Mortal Kombat is all about blood and dismemberment, especially in its trademark Fatalities.

It could work, as proven by Injustice, but it could also fail miserably, as proven by MK vs DC.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I think it would work if they went with the MK2 versions of the chars (which is what alot of ppl would want anyways) and blood isnt absolutely needed for them to work. I think they would work just fine in smash without blood. Snake didnt "fit" in with smash but everyone is gun hoe abut him being in it (I love snake and really want him back). And does this really look THAT out of the place for the game?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Jill Valentine, no one would expect her!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The old MK: DOTR cartoon proves that MK fighters can fit in to Smash Bros very easily. They can have all their signature moves without the blood and gore.

I'm pretty sure there's an option in several MK games to turn the blood off so it's not something new.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Glad i stopped replying and giving respond to other people about Geno arguments at the right time, I really hate when flame wars starts in the threads and I dislike seeing other people gets annoyed, if I cept giving responds to the comment about Geno this thread would explode and the flame wars would never end in this thread, Just look at the thread right now, it's neutral and no flame wars happend.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Can we just stop saying this? Cloud appeared on Nintendo consoles and the Nintendo only rule was a mistranslation, Cloud opened nothing

Rage for me because WB is an absolute piece of **** company that doesn't deserve a single cent imo
What's wrong with Warner Bros?

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
How can you say that when, now more than ever, we are discussing newcomers like Scorpion and Master Chief with a serious tone? Cloud didn't open floodgates because of the mistranslation, he opened floodgates because he was perceived as a Sony icon who had very little chance of appearing. Just look at the tizzy it sent the Internet into with speculation about the most obscure and unlikely third party characters. All of these newcomer ideas were laughed off the forums, but now they are getting discussed regularly. There is no denying it

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Basically every single MK game except 9 and X have had either little blood, or the option to turn it off. Lets be honest. W/O blood Scorpion is no worse than snake.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
How can you say that when, now more than ever, we are discussing newcomers like Scorpion and Master Chief with a serious tone? Cloud didn't open floodgates because of the mistranslation, he opened floodgates because he was perceived as a Sony icon who had very little chance of appearing. Just look at the tizzy it sent the Internet into with speculation about the most obscure and unlikely third party characters. All of these newcomer ideas were laughed off the forums, but now they are getting discussed regularly. There is no denying it
Cloud isn't a Sony icon, but a Final Fantasy icon. And just because people are discussing ludicrous ideas doesn't mean there are more possibilities. Miiverse was like this back before Smash came out, Scorpion, Earthworm Jim, Goku, Shrek, CoD soldier, Finn, etc. Just because people are spouting nonsensical ideas doesn't mean it's worth anything

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I really want Lara Croft....
I imagine her to be mainly pistol based, with a plethora of other equipment such as bow & arrows. Similar to how Link uses the Master Sword mainly with some other items in his moveset to help him out.

I actually like the new Lara, but the one next to her already looks similar to the Smash art style lol.

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
How is scorpion nonsensical? I see absolutely 0 reason why he is tied to a bunch of joke or obscure characters. Hell the only reasons I've even seen on the boards for not adding him is
1. They dont like MK(biggest one)
2. Blood (weve discussed this)

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
How is scorpion nonsensical? I see absolutely 0 reason why he is tied to a bunch of joke or obscure characters. Hell the only reasons I've even seen on the boards for not adding him is
Don't get me wrong, I would love Scorpion or Sub Zero, but I feel they are highly unlikely considering the precedent set by every third party newcomer thus far, being western

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I admit, I had to search Scorpion up when the discussion started. I guess I wouldn't mind (much better than certain 3 characters I don't want), but I don't think I'll ever root for him as MK is a series I've never played and don't intend to as it doesn't appeal to me.
Don't get me wrong, I would love Scorpion or Sub Zero, but I feel they are highly unlikely considering the precedent set by every third party newcomer thus far, being western
Fan Rule detected.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Basically every single MK game except 9 and X have had either little blood, or the option to turn it off. Lets be honest. W/O blood Scorpion is no worse than snake.
Even less so given that Snake uses weapons and the worst Scorpion would do without blood is a spear.

Honestly, the only thing really holding back Scorpion/Sub-Zero is lack of popularity with the Japanese gaming audience. Not that MK is nonexistent there, it's just not as popular. Even then, it's still really popular in North America and Europe so it still could work.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Heck he would be one of the few if only western characters that would make sense. Hes iconic, and ALOT of people love MK. A lot of people recognize it as well. He could represent western gaming as a whole. That would be cool to have the icon of western fighting games fighting the icon of Japanese fighting games. Scorpion could also represent rivalries as a whole. Smash 4 feels like a celebration of gaming, honestly Scorpion is one of the best possible curveballs they could throw.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
WB is a western company that's not really anything noteworthy and Mortal Kombat in known for extreme violence which outright doesn't fit Smash. Here are my counterarguments
'BUTT SNEEEK' Snake isn't most wellknown for tearing out spines or violence, but espionage and stupid plots
'KERTUUUUN' It was ****, and it got panned, saying it makes MK fit in Smash is like using a Mario flash game in which he has a gun to say that Mario should use guns
'FRUNSHIP N OTHER STUFF' Hasn't been used for quite a while, aren't anywhere near as iconic as fatalities, don't make sense moveset-wise because be honest, how the actual **** would a Babality work?

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Even less so given that Snake uses weapons and the worst Scorpion would do without blood is a spear.

Honestly, the only thing really holding back Scorpion/Sub-Zero is lack of popularity with the Japanese gaming audience. Not that MK is nonexistent there, it's just not as popular. Even then, it's still really popular in North America and Europe so it still could work.
Mortal Kombat is banned in Japan (at least x is, and from what I understand 9 got chopped early to). It's really unfortunate as well. The Japanese actually really liked the game.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
WB is a western company that's not really anything noteworthy and Mortal Kombat in known for extreme violence which outright doesn't fit Smash. Here are my counterarguments
'BUTT SNEEEK' Snake isn't most wellknown for tearing out spines or violence, but espionage and stupid plots
'KERTUUUUN' It was ****, and it got panned, saying it makes MK fit in Smash is like using a Mario flash game in which he has a gun to say that Mario should use guns
'FRUNSHIP N OTHER STUFF' Hasn't been used for quite a while, aren't anywhere near as iconic as fatalities, don't make sense moveset-wise because be honest, how the actual **** would a Babality work?
Mk also has a very rich story that is well known for being super campy and cheesy. and MK is also known for rainbow ninjas lol and overall ridiculousness

Here is one of the most iconic fatalitites of all time, make it be an instant ko instead of a burning one, boom fairly tame final smash that incorporates a fatality

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master

Cloud was the character in that style that I was thinking about his chances.

Any curve ball that I would want or thing seriously about his/her chances probably aren't worthy enough for this place.

Unless Touhou Char counts

My most wanted is Micaiah.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
There is nothing that says a Western character can't get in.
You're right, it's never been said a western third party can't get in! However, Sakurai, a Japanese guy, will 99/100 times cater towards a Japanese audience. This is a fact. Why would someone who caters towards the Japanese suddenly go ask a western company something? Japan almost refuses to play western games from what I've seen, the abysmal Xbox1 sales there only further solidify this point

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Mk also has a very rich story that is well known for being super campy and cheesy. and MK is also known for rainbow ninjas lol and overall ridiculousness

Here is one of the most iconic fatalitites of all time, make it be an instant ko instead of a burning one, boom fairly tame final smash that incorporates a fatality
I think an issue here would come from Scorpion showing his skull face.
You're right, it's never been said a western third party can't get in! However, Sakurai, a Japanese guy, will 99/100 times cater towards a Japanese audience. This is a fact. Why would someone who caters towards the Japanese suddenly go ask a western company something? Japan almost refuses to play western games from what I've seen, the abysmal Xbox1 sales there only further solidify this point
:4littlemac:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom