• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
The more I think about it the more I think Scorpion might have a decent or ok chance. He would be the other holy s*** I didnt know I wanted him but Im glad hes here character like Cloud was (and yes MK has a very long history with MK, and the violence has been toned down before, plus when you take away the blood Scorpion is just a firey yellow ninja, heck even his fatality is pretty harmless, its just him breathing fire over the person which could easily just be a final smash that KO's anyone caught in it). At this point I wouldnt be completely blindsided if he wasa added.

I think were going to get at least 2 characters aside from Cloud, and I also think the direct will be next week or the following week at the latest. Needless to say im very excited to see what awaits smash in the upcoming weeks.

I think Snake, Shovel Knight, K Rool, and Wolf had pretty good chances of coming to smash.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well in a way Brawl Dedede was this (When he could spawn Waddle Dees and Waddle Doos). Smash 4 changed it so that he could only throw Gordos.
Honestly, I think the changes from Waddle Dee Toss, Waddle Dee Army, Negative Zone, and Centurian Army to the side b and final smashes we know are because all of the little moving bits (for all but Negative Zone) taxed the 3DS a bit too much to be comfortable. Negative Zone... Iunno. Could've been too big of a field change for the system, or just an easy swap once the data for Dedede Storm was made because their trapping is similar enough.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Honestly, I think the changes from Waddle Dee Toss, Waddle Dee Army, Negative Zone, and Centurian Army to the side b and final smashes we know are because all of the little moving bits (for all but Negative Zone) taxed the 3DS a bit too much to be comfortable. Negative Zone... Iunno. Could've been too big of a field change for the system, or just an easy swap once the data for Dedede Storm was made because their trapping is similar enough.
I'm pretty sure Negative Zone and Centurian Army changed because of Luigi's Mansion 2 and Uprising, it could have been an issue for the 3DS but it probably would've changed regardless

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Wow, I missed quite a bit. From equal gender representation to villains, I must say, some people have odd reasoning when it comes to why they want certain characters. I will say this: I think it's the characters themselves that matter, not necessarily their genders/roles, and what they can bring to Smash as fighters.

That said, I would like to see characters such as Krystal and Dark Samus make the cut.

Anyone else think Simon Belmont would be cool?
As far as I'm concerned, he's the Konami rep we should've had. If there happens to be anymore 3rd party characters, I'd be more than happy if he was one of them.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
People should look past "Too many reps" and stuff like that as characters should represent something. As it stands 3rd party wise the only ones that would make sense would be (imo)
Snake
Scorpion/SubZero
Shantae/Shovel Knight
Simon Belmont
Nightmare
Banjo & Kazooie

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer again, but I was thinking about something on the way back home. I really do think they dropped the ball working with Square-Enix: they should have added Geno over Cloud. Im sure some will say "But Cloud is more popular." And I'd agree, FF7 is a very popular game and is the best selling game in the Final Fantasy series. But its a matter of appealing to your customer.

Geno was a very popular characters during the days of Brawl's pre-release, with some even expecting his inclusion. The character has suffered from obscurity (was only in one game) and the legal issues regarding his ownership. But the character has always been popular and is still liked today. SourceGaming's research on the perception of DLC in Japan noted he is still wanted for the game.

But why would you work out licensing with a company to take a character the fanbase may not want. Again, I'm not saying Cloud is an unpopular character. But Smash has always appealed to Nintendo fans. How much would they care about a game that wasn't released on a Nintendo system. And I'm sure plenty of Nintendo fans have played FFV, but if given a choice between Super Mario RPG and Final Fantasy 7, you'd expect most Nintendo fans to pick the former. And that's really my point. The opportunity was ripe to add Geno, a characters fans are still asking for and still like after all these year. Geno would never work in the main game given his obscurity with the general populous and the licensing issues, but with DLC, which is targeted at more dedicated fans (who are probably asking for Geno), the character would be perfect. Plus, he would be far more unique than Cloud who doesn't seem to differentiate himself from the other swordsman.

I think its the misconception that because the character is more well known, they are a better choice. While it makes sense on the surface, it ignores the target market: Nintendo fans. FF fans are not going to drop their PS4s and pick up a Wii U just to get Cloud in Smash. But these dedicated fans might pick-up and love Geno. The one thing I've noticed with Cloud is that fans cared more about the name and very little about the character. I've heard very few people say that they wanted to play as Cloud. The talk has almost entirely centered around "OMG, look at all the icons" or "I never expected Cloud to be in." But these conversations died almost as soon as they started. I don't see many fans talk about how they want to play as Cloud as they did for other characters. Geno would not have been as big of an announcement; however, it would have struck a cord with the dedicated fans, the fans that help drive excitement for the game. Folks would have kept talking about Geno because its a character they have wanted that probably wouldn't have gotten in others and are passionate about. They would have wanted to play as Geno. In this scenario, the only ones who would have lost out are the Youtubers making reaction videos.

I think fans would have been giddy to here this tune.

DLC talk, eh? *reads thread title* I'm so dumb! :facepalm:

Anyway, what would you guys want as stages for DLC?

I'd personally like a Bowser stage, a Wii U-exclusive Splatoon stage, some stages that were planned before being scrapped and a bunch of stages from the other versions as free DLC.
Bowser's Castle is one of the new stages that should of happened, but hasn't. Splatoon stage would be good for the music.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer again, but I was thinking about something on the way back home. I really do think they dropped the ball working with Square-Enix: they should have added Geno over Cloud. Im sure some will say "But Cloud is more popular." And I'd agree, FF7 is a very popular game and is the best selling game in the Final Fantasy series. But its a matter of appealing to your customer.

Geno was a very popular characters during the days of Brawl's pre-release, with some even expecting his inclusion. The character has suffered from obscurity (was only in one game) and the legal issues regarding his ownership. But the character has always been popular and is still liked today. SourceGaming's research on the perception of DLC in Japan noted he is still wanted for the game.

But why would you work out licensing with a company to take a character the fanbase may not want. Again, I'm not saying Cloud is an unpopular character. But Smash has always appealed to Nintendo fans. How much would they care about a game that wasn't released on a Nintendo system. And I'm sure plenty of Nintendo fans have played FFV, but if given a choice between Super Mario RPG and Final Fantasy 7, you'd expect most Nintendo fans to pick the former. And that's really my point. The opportunity was ripe to add Geno, a characters fans are still asking for and still like after all these year. Geno would never work in the main game given his obscurity with the general populous and the licensing issues, but with DLC, which is targeted at more dedicated fans (who are probably asking for Geno), the character would be perfect. Plus, he would be far more unique than Cloud who doesn't seem to differentiate himself from the other swordsman.

I think its the misconception that because the character is more well known, they are a better choice. While it makes sense on the surface, it ignores the target market: Nintendo fans. FF fans are not going to drop their PS4s and pick up a Wii U just to get Cloud in Smash. But these dedicated fans might pick-up and love Geno. The one thing I've noticed with Cloud is that fans cared more about the name and very little about the character. I've heard very few people say that they wanted to play as Cloud. The talk has almost entirely centered around "OMG, look at all the icons" or "I never expected Cloud to be in." But these conversations died almost as soon as they started. I don't see many fans talk about how they want to play as Cloud as they did for other characters. Geno would not have been as big of an announcement; however, it would have struck a cord with the dedicated fans, the fans that help drive excitement for the game. Folks would have kept talking about Geno because its a character they have wanted that probably wouldn't have gotten in others and are passionate about. They would have wanted to play as Geno. In this scenario, the only ones who would have lost out are the Youtubers making reaction videos.

Bowser's Castle is one of the new stages that should of happened, but hasn't. Splatoon stage would be good for the music.
Or.
Y'know.
Black Mage would've been a damn good choice.
Just saying.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

My dude, I see what you're saying, but Cloud tho. He's more popular, that's it.

Last edited:

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Yeah... That's my only problem with Cloud's inclusion. He seems to have just been chosen due to being popular. I mean seriously. The guy is suppose to represent the FF series as a whole, but his character does little to do so. Even though I hate this game, SSF2 arguably choose a better FF rep than Sakurai. Not only that, but I won't be able to play Cloud's main game on a Nintendo console. I guess I'll find the depth of Cloud's character in the chibi-music spin-off.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Yeah... That's my only problem with Cloud's inclusion. He seems to have just been chosen due to being popular. I mean seriously. The guy is suppose to represent the FF series as a whole, but his character does little to do so. Even though I hate this game, SSF2 arguably choose a better FF rep than Sakurai. Not only that, but I won't be able to play Cloud's main game on a Nintendo console. I guess I'll find the depth of Cloud's character in the chibi-music spin-off.
I really don't see the problem with adding characters where the majority of their games are not on Nintendo Platforms. At this point, Smash isn't just about Nintendo all-stars, but video game all-stars in general and Cloud is definitely a video game all-star, many times more than Geno or Black Mage ever was.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
People should look past "Too many reps" and stuff like that as characters should represent something.
I wish people felt this way about Pokémon. There are so many different characters from that series who would work amazingly well in Smash, but most people are too quick to dismiss them simply because "We already have enough Pokémon!"

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I wish people felt this way about Pokémon. There are so many different characters from that series who would work amazingly well in Smash, but most people are too quick to dismiss them simply because "We already have enough Pokémon!"
If I could add or change anything about the pokemon in this game, I would get rid of Greninja and bring back Squirtle or use Feraligatr and add a hoenn region pokemon like sceptile or blaziken. Feraligatr would have been perfect for smash, but sadly we dont get him and no one considers him a possibility for some reason

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
There's 700+ Pokemon so of course there'll be a lot that work, but I don't think a roster flooded with Pokemon would be fun.

If I could add or change anything about the pokemon in this game, I would get rid of Greninja and bring back Squirtle or use Feraligatr and add a hoenn region pokemon like sceptile or blaziken. Feraligatr would have been perfect for smash, but sadly we dont get him and no one considers him a possibility for some reason
Cause Feraligator isn't cool. Munchlax is more popular, and no one remembers Munchlax.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I really don't see the problem with adding characters where the majority of their games are not on Nintendo Platforms. At this point, Smash isn't just about Nintendo all-stars, but video game all-stars in general and Cloud is definitely a video game all-star, many times more than Geno or Black Mage ever was.
My dude, I see what you're saying, but Cloud tho. He's more popular, that's it.
I'm not disagreeing that Cloud is more popular, but consider who is buying Super Smash Brothers. Its Nintendo fans. I think folks try to hard to redefine the game to justify why every character under the sun should be in. But even with the number of third party characters, an over whelming majority of them are Nintendo. In total, there are 48 Nintendo characters plus the Miis. If you don't like or don't care about Nintendo, than you wont like Super Smash Brothers.

Again, I sincerely doubt these FF7 fans** are going to drop the PS4 to buy one character amongst a cast of Nintendo characters and some other guest. But the Nintendo fans, who bought Super Smash Brothers and are likely buying the DLC, will pay and be excited to play as Geno. And its their excitement that will get others talking. Its word-of-mouth marketing. Compare this to Cloud, where everyone has dropped the subject. That is because there is a different relation to Geno for these fans. Super Mario RPG was rated the 8th best Nintendo game of all time by Famitsu readers. Cloud is just a big name, which is why there was shock and then nothing. Someone like Geno would have sustained interest because he's a character fans have only dreamed of.

The reason I say keep the games focused on Nintendo is because you can't sell a game of icons that's filled to the brim with Nintendo content. You can't call Smash an "icon" game and you can't redefine it because of the legal cost and reworking that needs to be done. The series would do best to focus on its strengths. Geno may not be as well known, but his fans would create a sustained conversation about his inclusion

**Full disclosure: I said FF fans in the prior post.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'm not disagreeing that Cloud is more popular, but consider who is buying Super Smash Brothers. Its Nintendo fans. I think folks try to hard to redefine the game to justify why every character under the sun should be in. But even with the number of third party characters, an over whelming majority of them are Nintendo. In total, there are 48 Nintendo characters plus the Miis. If you don't like or don't care about Nintendo, than you wont like Super Smash Brothers.
I don't really care for Nintendo. If Smash 4 never came out I would've never bought a Wii U cause after that I don't really care for their franchises.

Again, I sincerely doubt these FF7 fans** are going to drop the PS4 to buy one character amongst a cast of Nintendo characters and some other guest. But the Nintendo fans, who bought Super Smash Brothers and are likely buying the DLC, will pay and be excited to play as Geno. And its their excitement that will get others talking. Its word-of-mouth marketing. Compare this to Cloud, where everyone has dropped the subject. That is because there is a different relation to Geno for these fans. Super Mario RPG was rated the 8th best Nintendo game of all time by Famitsu readers. Cloud is just a big name, which is why there was shock and then nothing. Someone like Geno would have sustained interest because he's a character fans have only dreamed of.
No he wouldn't. The only time Geno is ever mentioned is when people make their wishlists for Smash, after that he's a highly irrelevant character, whereas Cloud is. You're saying that Geno would've been talked about longer, but I see absolutely no reason to believe that.

The reason I say keep the games focused on Nintendo is because you can't sell a game of icons that's filled to the brim with Nintendo content. You can't call Smash an "icon" game and you can't redefine it because of the legal cost and reworking that needs to be done. The series would do best to focus on its strengths. Geno may not be as well known, but his fans would create a sustained conversation about his inclusion

Why not? Smash 4 seems to be selling just fine and it's adding yet another third party character.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
People should look past "Too many reps" and stuff like that as characters should represent something.
Can't help but to agree. I think the reason why a lot of people obsess over reps in Smash, is because they're upset that their favorite series hasn't gotten as many characters, trophies, stages etc. like other series have had. Out of spite, they would say: "No, X franchise has enough reps! Y franchise deserves much more representation", ignoring the fact that X franchise may still have interesting characters to pull from.

Representation is also a subjective thing; how much representation is too much representation? Apparently to many people, if a franchise in Smash has more than three playable characters, it is considered "overreped". Doesn't matter if the franchise only has but so many trophies and stages; if the franchise ends up getting more than three characters per game, it's being over represented. For example, people think that FE is more overreped than Zelda, since FE managed to get new characters in this game. However, Zelda still has much more assist trophies and stages than FE does, so does that mean that Zelda is well-repped?
It just seems like people are upset that a series they don't care about is apparently getting more attention than their favorite franchise. It's perfectly fine to be bummed out by the apparent lack of attention your series is getting in Smash, but there's no need to disregard certain character ideas just because those characters are from a series you find over represented.

Also, I'd like to argue that series like Pokemon and FE are still unexplored move set wise. FE for example has a lot more to offer than just sword fighters; it has axe fighters, lance fighters, and three different types of magic users(if you are talking about the pre-Awakening ones, of course.) Heck, if you want to be even more bizarre with character types, you can even go for a mounted fighter, although that's a lot to implement in a Smash game. Pokemon, IMO has the most amount of potential when it comes to characters. So many different body types to include, and so many different elemental fighting styles to cover.

I have to say though: As ridiculous as I think the representation arguement is, I think we should add characters from more plentiful series like Mario sparingly. It's fine to have a Mario character or two; just don't go overboard with the Mario characters, and give other franchises a chance. I honestly don't think we've even crossed that line yet, anyway. Pokemon has only received 2 characters in this game(counting Mewtwo). Mario has received 3 (counting Dr. Mario) and FE has received 3 as well (counting Roy). As long as we aren't getting like 3 Mario characters in one DLC pack or something, keep the characters coming. :p

Last edited:

Argos

Smash Apprentice

People who have Smash probably like Nintendo but that doesn't mean they've plugged their ears and yelled at anything else video games have had to offer in the past thirty years. Smash has sold over eleven million copies between the two platforms, too many for the bulk to be obsessive fanboys who care more about the side character in a near-thirty year old spinoff to one of the most popular icons in games. Nintendo is by far my favorite publisher but I have a PS4 to sit next to my Wii U, and I'm sure there are many who could say the same.

I cant disagree more with picking Geno over Cloud.

Cloud: icon. Face of one of the largest genres in gaming. Face of the series that pretty much is the non pokemon-rpg.

Geno: side character from a spinoff.

You wouldnt pick viewtiful joe over ryu just because joe consistently did better in polls

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
One of my biggest pet peeves with the Pokémon representation (not just in this Smash but all Smash games) is the overwhelming bias for Gen 1 Pokémon. I get that Gen 1 is the most popular. But just because it's the most popular and well-known doesn't mean all the other gens should be ignored. It's not fair to deny other Pokémon their chance to shine just because they aren't as familiar to the general public.

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
As a person who wants Geno in the game, your argument of why Geno should have gotten in over Cloud is full of holes.

Cloud has had and continues to have lasting relevancy in the world of gaming, appearing in a multitude of games outside of FF7. As much as it pains me, Geno has made an appearance in only one game, and that game is an semi-obscure spinoff that very few people outside of old school Nintendo fans would know. No matter how good the game is, the game is still obscure and has very little relevance today.

Also you shouldn't assume that people who are "fans" of Nintendo are completely oblivious to the gaming culture surrounding them. Even if they don't like FF7, they cannot ignore the significance of the game on gaming history, doing so is just plain ignorance.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Let's see what Cloud did to Nintendo history: he was just a cameo in most Nintendo console games and FF7 was the reason why square has left making main final fantasy games on Nintendo consoles for a couple of Years.

Let's see what Geno did to Nintendo history: he can represent the Mario RPGs seires and he comes from a game that square and Nintendo teamed together and they are friends now, SMRPG was the reason why both Mario paper and Mario and luigi RPG seires exist, and Geno whole history was only with Nintendo, they used him than square did (in super Mario-kun and mlsss) but the copyright was holding them back wich is why he isn't appearing in any game recently but alphadream might use him in the future games.

Let's see what Black Mage did to Nintendo history: he appeared in a lot of Nintendo games and crossovered with Mario twice and he has been here since the NES days just like Megaman, he is one of the gaming icons and one of the final fantasy symbols and there is a lot of Nintendo fans who grew up with the classic Final fantasy games in Nintendo system.

I will be honest I don't care what Cloud did in gaming because he hasn't done anything special in Nintendo history he should be in PSASBR because he belongs there but not with Nintendo all stars games if most Nintendo fans didn't play FF7 wich wasn't on Nintendo console, Cloud should do something special in Nintendo history before he is ready for smash.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Does Nintendo really have anything to lose by having :4cloud: over Geno? I wouldn't think so.

Let's see what Geno did to Nintendo history: he can represent the Mario RPGs seires
I have a feeling that Paper Mario would do a better job of that If we're talking about Mario RPG games. But that's me.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476

Another problem with this is that a ton of people have no idea who Geno is. This is a major issue for dlc because it has to sell so making a relatively unknown character who hasn't appeared in a game in a long time isn't a great idea from a business standpoint. Also as a third party character he is not a juggernaut like the other characters are. Cloud just makes much more sense because most people know who cloud is.
Edit: Forgot to mention that it's not only hardcore Nintendo fans own this game and will buy dlc. The hardcore fans are a minority in the sales.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Sakurai's never said anything about a character needing Nintendo history. He's said they need to have "Gaming History". Nintendo history is a completely fanmade criteria.

Smash is starting to become about gaming history, not just Nintendo history. And honestly, I prefer it that way.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Let's see what Cloud did to Nintendo history: he was just a cameo in most Nintendo console games and FF7 was the reason why square has left making main final fantasy games on Nintendo consoles for a couple of Years.

Let's see what Geno did to Nintendo history: he can represent the Mario RPGs seires and he comes from a game that square and Nintendo teamed together and they are friends now, SMRPG was the reason why both Mario paper and Mario and luigi RPG seires exist, and Geno whole history was only with Nintendo, they used him than square did (in super Mario-kun and mlsss) but the copyright was holding them back wich is why he isn't appearing in any game recently but alphadream might use him in the future games.

Let's see what Black Mage did to Nintendo history: he appeared in a lot of Nintendo games and crossovered with Mario twice and he has been here since the NES days just like Megaman, he is one of the gaming icons and one of the final fantasy symbols and there is a lot of Nintendo fans who grew up with the classic Final fantasy games in Nintendo system.

I will be honest I don't care what Cloud did in gaming because he hasn't done anything special in Nintendo history he should be in PSASBR because he belongs there but not with Nintendo all stars games if most Nintendo fans didn't play FF7 wich wasn't on Nintendo console, Cloud should do something special in Nintendo history before he is ready for smash.
Why are you arguing that a character needs to contribute to Nintendo history, when even Sakurai himself doesn't agree with that.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Final Fantasy 7 is probably coming to Nintendo. If so, Cloud will make sense to Nintendo fans.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Speaking of gaming history...

Cloud was chosen as a character to tease the upcoming Smash Direct. CLOUD was used as the TEASER. Meaning we could get someone even more mind boggling at that presentation.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
Speaking of gaming history...

Cloud was chosen as a character to tease the upcoming Smash Direct. CLOUD was used as the TEASER. Meaning we could get someone even more mind boggling at that presentation.

They probably just used cloud to get people interested. This doesn't mean they will outdo cloud. I find it very unlikely to see another third party character unless it is snake.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Ya, people are going to have to wait until Cloud is actually released first for Sakurai to say something about his inclusion

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
1448775392656.png

Here's an interesting chart (not made by me) categorizing characters based on what system they made their debut in. Notice how we don't have any characters from the Wii U and only one DS character (Lucario). Oh, and in case you only counted 2 characters in the "Other" category, that's because the third one is Cloud who hasn't been added to the roster yet.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
View attachment 85229

Here's an interesting chart (not made by me) categorizing characters based on what system they made their debut in. Notice how we don't have any characters from the Wii U and only one DS character (Lucario).
Smash 3DS is actually the only Smash game to have newcomers who debuted in the same console.

Just look up the other games if you don't believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom