• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Ness discussion

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Fair is good as an anti air move and at percents when it cannot be cc'd. It's also useful for edgeguarding. Also out of a d-throw...

It can combo into grabs.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Jc grabbing isn't that bad.

I have a harder time landing grabs as Peach. The **** is slow.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
getting grabs is hard. I think ness wud be soo much better if his grab range was marths. It makes the lack of an actual approach easier to deal with since they wouldn't be so willing to sit in sheild/cc.

but anyways
some ness stuff:
Ness in the air can make him very good and very ****ty. I think his aerial game is where most of his potential lie. The fact that he can quickly change direction/momentum/acceleration in the air is something that most characters don't have which can prove to be very useful. But how important his double jump is makes it a risk to double jump away due to the possibility of losing your jump which easily leads to a loss of stock. Anyways, as any ness main should know, when you djc and fastfall at the same time, you fall deceptively fast. Which leads to the first thing:
theres this spacing when you fullhop interrupt djc dair on someones sheild where you can autocancel the dair and they'll be in too much shield stun that you can dash away without being shieldgrab irregardless of where you land in their shield. (atleast i'm pretty sure) alot of shield grabs/oos attacks can be baited this way.

2nd thing, another aerial spacing thing. But when techchasing, I have been able to fulljump and react with a djc dair to both tech in place/no tech AND one tech away option. Like you hover over where they wud tech in place but a little towards the techaway option you're covering. If you see them techinplace/notech you can djcff dair straight down and catch them, or if you see the roll you can djc di fair and catch them with the dair at the end of the their techroll. (I can't remember which characters this works on, but i've gotten it pretty consistently without really actively thinking about it). OTG says this kind of thing is very common AT for ness in n64. idk about that

another thing I was thinking about which is similar to the other, is instead of the fullhop, you can just kinda empty short hop in the area between where theyd tech in place and where theyd end up in a tech roll in one direction and be able to react to 3 out of the 4 tech options with the same djc aerial. I haven't tried this, so idk if it works as well as the full hop one, but i don't see why it should.

always space your dash attack to try to hit with the last hit of it. It helps so that if they shield in time you'll be out of reach for their shield grab. And they can di/cc/get that weird pop up thing if they get hit by the first two hits. So spacing for the tip of teh dash attack is best imo

practice djcffl fair so that: you don't go higher than ness's standing height, you get a decent amount of horizontal distance, you can get all the sparkles out at the end. The last part of it is most important, but not because you're generally gonna wanna use all the hitbboxes of the fair. But being able to get them all out of a far low, djcffl is very useful. Especially since you can fast fall at any time of the fair hitboxes. If you can get your djcffl far enough it can be a safer replacement for dash attack in some situations. (specifically when predicting dash away) as well as really improving your oos game.

And yea technically you should be practicing how to get good with djc since it empirical to ness's movement. But even after i was good with djc I had to practice djcffl fairing this way because intuitively my djcffl used to go a bit higher and shorter horizontally, while not being able to get most of the sparkles out unless i delayed the dj(which is bad cuz it made the djcffl slower and higher). Mofo showed me this way of doing it, and it's pretty useful.

do you guys know about the AT where: you're in tumble in the air and you do an aerial at the very last moment before you hit the ground, you don't have to tech/nor do you suffer lag from the aerial? It's really really easy to do with ness's dair, for some reason the timing for it is alot more lenient than most other characters. It's pretty good albeit small thing to start doing. (I don't do it yet, but mofo does it a **** ton.)

but yea random info dump. Play around with these ideas, see if they work for you

on another note:
I still don't know whether its better to tech chase with sh ac dair or shffl dair

edit:
did not expect this post to be so long

anything to procrastinate studying for finals lol

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
that's due to the fact that dair at any point in time the hitbox is not out. I don't do it much, cuz I just wiggle out usually... =/

Can't the full hop tech chase thing be beaten by them waiting for you to fall back down and then forcing you to dj or eat a get up attack, or they could guess that you dj and then just get up normally and use their invincibility frames to dodge your aerial?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
no its like if theyre in the air in stun and about to hit the ground, hover near where they land and you can punish the mistech/tech in place/tech roll. Not when theyre already on the ground

yea i barely do the dair thing either, but i can see its uses, can throw ppl off who are expecting to techchase

otg

Smash Master
Ness's dair in 64 is far superior to it's melee counterpart. It comes out instantly, lasts a really long time and is a constant spike. In 64 he can tech chase with it seemlessly and if he gets someone on a platform can tech chase the ever last crap out of someone using dair repeatedly and reacting to their tech/get up options etc.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The first jab has a hitbox on his foot that's behind him. I have no clue why the programmers put that there. Makes no sense.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
so much of the programming in Melee "makes no sense" XD
Hey I'm Fox...I'm gonna kick my leg behind me, but god help you if you touch my hip or even the leg that isn't kicking!

to expand on what Macman relayed via The Gospel According to MoFo:
it isn't just that you should be able to get all the sparkles out during your djcffl fair, you should be able to know when to ff AND THEN...ftilt. You should be able to connect the two [obviously, the higher the damage, the fewer the sparks you wanna get out to increase your chances of connecting with the ftilt...which is a godly move that too few Ness players use]

Also, don't forget about the value of: THE CROSS-UP!

This is a general term used for spacing an attack in such a way that you start it in front of the person but finish it behind the person [this is specific to an opponent who may be shielding]

You immediately reduce some of Ness's greatest downfalls by limiting the opponent's options drastically

This is esp for all you shield-pressure-DJCbair kids

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
yea toasty i use way to little ftilt outside of hitting illusions with it, def shud start doing it more

edit @sage: pretty nice ness.

You used alot of fhdjc autocancel dair and it was working for so that was good. Just be wary, because if they catch on they can easily start hitting you out of the start up.

Lol you upB in the same places I do, just to annoy people who land on platforms.

The batting the low float was great, bat works well cuz if it's range. I should look to do that more against peaches.

You were a bit slow on timing some out of shield of stuff which in result caused you not to be able to punish some of the peaches moves as well as you'd like. I'd say you should work a bit on speeding that up.

You should link more vids of your ness, I like watching good ness's play =]

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Bat doesn't really work like that against most Peaches, if they stay in the ai

That's the best video I have ever had recorded of my Ness. Most of them are me getting three stocked or something...

Vs. Samus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_mGVfRVQ6A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOyWfAHLrYA&feature=related

Vs. Marth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX7mQOZddlk&feature=related

I don't believe the above two players are very good.

Me being gay on Corneria:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MFaItWMhXQ

I believe those are the only ones recent enough to be relevant... I'll try to get more recorded...

These aren't really good videos though. I wish I could show off the combos I have on ff'ers now. Maybe next time.

My oos game is horrible.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I know ness has options oos, I'm just bad at it technical wise. I need to practice it more...

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
nah, i think its a pretty big deal. He doesn't have an answer to ccers because of it. IC's atleast have wavesmashes and an ok projectile

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Answers to CC: d-tilt, auto canceled dairs, grab/tomahawk mixups, retreating aerials, late aerials -> shield/spotdodge, depending on what they tend to CC into (grab or attack), and the occasional PK fire.

Even Ness' dash attack can't be very effectively CC'ed if you space it well, since dash attack has low lag and a disjointed hitbox.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
dtilt: no
ac dairs: find a consistent way to land dairs on anyone good and not get ***** before the move comes out.
grabstuff: well yea, but getting grabs in general is hard. especially with the low grab range. Have fun getting close enough to grab, you have to out play your opponent pretty well . Not that it matters since theyre generally CCing out of doing other stuff. tomohawk only works well vs sheilds not if theyre still attacking.
retreating aerials: well yea, but you're not getting anything out of it. Also again, have fun getting close enough to be able to pull this off.
late aerials: even late fair can be cced pretty easily and you can get punished out of it.
dash attack: easily cced. Just not punished if you space it so you hit with the last hit. But then it won't even lead to anything.

i mean clearly he has things that beat ccing. but the point is that theyre hard to land or they don't lead to anything that would make them wanna cc less. Also I'm not talking about someone just crouching there and ccing theyre doing everything else that ***** ness but if yu do land a fair (easiest aerial to land due to range) it'll prolly get cced.

don't get me wrong, ccing can be worked around(or so i hope). it's just alot harder with ness than most characters, a longer grab range would easily help in this aspect.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
yea cc'ing is quite frustrating to deal with when I'm playing Ness.

You can do a quick djc aerial and then shield the move they cc...

What's a tomahawk?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Tomahawk is when you do an empty jump and grab. Or, in Ness' case, you do like a DJC waveland -> grab. Anyway, works best with Ness if you have your back to them, because then they're scared of bair and they'll usually hold on to shield long enough for you to land and grab.

@ Macman: I wasn't talking about d-tilt in isolation. I mean if you push them away with a few d-tilts it gives you time to assess their response, whether you think they'll continue holding down and mash shield grab (in which case you buffer spotdodge) or if you think they'll d-smash you can shield right as you push them out of your d-tilt range.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
empty sh to grab

@ruse: yea i know, idk ive gotten hit out of repetitive dtilts alot. Though you are right, that can work. But my problem with that is for you to get any kind of substantial punish you need to outplay your opponent pretty badly. First you need to find away to get in and start a string of dtilts, and then you have to predict what theyre cc move will be so that you can properly dodge/shield it. There isn't any way to consistently beat it. (or so it seems)

I've been playing around with doing horizontal djcffl uairs in place of fairs to see if I can more consistently deal with ccers. Uair hits in front so this can work in some situations.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
yea but the ccing ends at much lower percents than fair or nair. If and alot of the time if its cced, it forces them to ground tech which can easily be grabbed or if they dont tech you can thunders with dtilt. I also think uair cant be punished as easily as fair out of cc but I haven't tested out the uair thing much yet.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I agree, but still at low percents, ness doesn't really have anything. i don't understand why people jump vs. ness. just stand there and cc or shield and nair

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
lolol so true. Ness actually stands a chance when people are willing to jump.

GroovyGreenHat

Smash Cadet
Your Ness looked great in the match vs. UKZ, Sage.

I'm having trouble with my oos game too. djcnair doesn't work as well as I want it too.

At DGDTJ, I was able to surprise a lot of people in friendlies with my Ness (even though I'm not that good yet). The best part is YYGing people who don't know what the YYG is. In pools, I took a stock off of Zhu's Falco (though I'm pretty sure he was sandbagging).

toasty

Smash Hero
Also: WOW I basically ignored everything Ruse said...so many years of Ness experience just made my blood boil after reading what SHOULD be sound theory for any character in Smash only to realize that Ness is so ****ing god d*mn awful and it DOESN'T work. NONE OF IT. (not your post specifically, just...very few things really end up working against really good players unless they're using a low tier...not even a midtier, a lowtier)

Sage, I'd watch the matches but my internet is crappy right now ;__;

I'll let you know my thoughts if I get a chance to watch them

I doubt I'll get my Ness back up to speed before going to Bangladesh in 8 days...and then coming back 10 days before Pound :(

I'll do what I can to record something great if I get the chance to before I leave...I just have to BE great, first XD

as for OOS options...I don't think people know how much shieldstun Ness suffers =/

I remember playing Dr. Peepee and he fsmashed my shield and was like..."huh...you really couldn't have naired me oos there?"

I silently wept.

trust me it's not reliable, if he knew better he could just reverse utilt to cover any oos option I chose...there are very few exceptions but they're impractical and not as safe as just rolling away. This is particularly applicable to playing against Peach. NEVER challenge a FC'ed aerial! NEVER. Just roll. Your shields can't handle a** of that magnitude.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Lolol.

CC is really ness main weakness, this stems from his lack of quick powerful ground attacks and short grab range. I really think if his u-smash came out faster and was stronger or d-smash came out in front first and was stronger, he'd rise in the tiers a lot...

And his recovery sucks, but I don't know if that's really a major issue... =/ I'm able to mixup sufficiently with DI and dj...

toasty

Smash Hero
shockingly enough it isn't his recovery that's the most crippling characteristic [unless you play against a pro with no remorse...honestly, they just wait for it and eat the thunder...no fear =/]

his extreme lack of PRIORITY really ****s him over. Ness very rarely gains anything from traded hits...and is almost always set up for an edgeguard if you're playing fast enough to where you DJC very frequently

okay guys I'm talking out my *** here..so effing tired, sorry if any of this makes little to no sense...too tired to proofread XD

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Yea i don't think his recovery is too big of a burden. Tho it does suck, if the upb was faster and turned tighter like in brawl it be much less of an issue. Since ness has a large double jump, he generally doesn't need to upB unless he's pretty far. The issue with all this though, is like toasty said, if you get hit out of djc which is like ness's bread and butter, you'll be in a really tight spot.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Ness has priority in the air, it's just that when his fair trades, it does like 1 damage... It should either come out faster or be a single hit move...

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Some videos I found:

Mind Trick (Yoshi) vs. Exalador (Ness) ~pal version~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI3-BER7_H0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2euURK3KJuo

Mofo (Ness) vs. Scorpian Master (Falcon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ujMw84a3U

Mofo (Ness) vs. Cactuar (Falcon) (Match starts at 5:16)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk-wvmE8LLs
~ I didn't know about these other mofo vids before...

Gringo (Ness) V.S. Blea Gelo (Luigi)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2hLDQPT5iE

Aisengobay [Fox] vs Leso [Ness]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROqGLXZZ39w

n2k (Jigglypuff) vs Gringo (Ness)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fPEQT9L2Lg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMImSe3rNEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWKw5VXrzvg

Will look for more later.

I just searched Ness in the tournament video section and got these. REALLY DID NOT KNOW OF THE OTHER MOFO VIDEOS OMFG.

A lot more Ness players and videos than I thought. Youtube search engine sucks.

If you'd like your video to be removed because you don't like showing off your skill (or lack thereof or something) let me know and it'll be removed.

Let me know if you think any of these are bad...

MOAR:

Aisengobay [Falco] vs Leso [Ness]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJnbOL-7AE4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlcci-teR38

Uuaa (Fox) vs Angry Lobster (Ness)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjRJdCxihuA

5_Exa(Ness) vs Joeri(Falco)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHRaLkOSNw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltYvEdBt80g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jBQA3f2zbU

Jeffrey(Falcon) vs Joeri(Ness)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ884-hBTPs

Psikotic (A Ness Combo Video) by Shogun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DicdPkokjWk

Jono

Smash Apprentice
Yea i don't think his recovery is too big of a burden. Tho it does suck, if the upb was faster and turned tighter like in brawl it be much less of an issue. Since ness has a large double jump, he generally doesn't need to upB unless he's pretty far. The issue with all this though, is like toasty said, if you get hit out of djc which is like ness's bread and butter, you'll be in a really tight spot.
if only the DJ sweetspotted the ledge
:c

Top Bottom