• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Ness discussion

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
What do you mean? CC -> up-smash? Or up-smash to knock down CCers?

Up-smash is slightly faster than f-smash and can lead into some air trapping situations so I see some good merit to using up-smash more. I actually up-smash out of shield sometimes. Lol.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
I've been suggesting this for the longest

i never actually played around with it tho

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Up-smash doesn't lead into anything though, and it only does 8 percent max. CC f-smash is probably better (though 4 frames slower), just for damage. I guess sometimes those 4 frames would make a difference, but not much I don't think.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
FSmash sounds like its a lot easier to react to, CC to USmash YYG would be awesome.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
hey ness players, long post here.

I've been screwing around with ness a tad recently due to me being back in touch with Mofo for a bit. Unfortunately, he's still inactive, but we've been talking. Figured i'd drop some knowledge while i could:
When he played, Julien (Mofo, in my mind i refer to him by his first name so I'll probably write using that) was always ranting about one aspect of ness metagame or another. He really believed Ness had a spot in the upper-mid tier with his name on it, and he'd carefully review every possible application of every move in basically every situation, either by rehearsing it with me or by practicing it in training mode and looking at frame data. He took his craft rather seriously. It was generally stuff you'd expect only him to think about, like knowing the double jump cancel frame by frame so you could have control of the number of hitboxes, and use different numbers differently, for example. The two things he raved about most immediately before retiring were this:

1) This one is pretty mild, Julien simply thought that Utilt was an underrated move. If you pause during utilt, you can see his fingers get maaaaad long. A good deal of this is disjointed. Though the move can be a little bit of a commitment at times, Ness is low enough to get this move under spacies shorthop approach, and it will outprioritize. On top of it being a good stopper, it's knockback conveniently hits them right into Nesses' bread and butter uair combos. He just thought if there was a viable option for an unsolved problem, you should learn how to make it work every time.

2) Nesses' dair has a 10-frame autocancel window at the beginning. That basically means that until the dair hitbox is out, it can autocancel. On the surface, the application of this is obvious, which would be a fakeout move, or really just abusing the speed an autocancel provides. Julien spent endless ammounts of time with this, and the situation he ended up using it most in was while tech chasing onto a platform. you could jump, dair, then fastfall if you see them going for an option you're not covering, or not fastfall and let the dair hit. One of the last memories i have of him, actually, was him talking about what we nicknamed "The Leadboot", where you'd fullhop, then doublejump halfway through the jump, and on the next frame, do a dair. Ness would drop at a speed comprable to his fastfall, making it appear that his foot was pulling him down. We never figured out much of what to do with that, but we did start to work with this: frame perfect djc dair oos into anything. Believe me, not a lot of things in this game suck like getting hit by a baseball bat from what appears to be an idle, in-shield ness. He really liked using Ftilt out of shield, he said it was quick and ranged enough to make it a viable option. Regardless, as ness is kind of limited when it comes to OoS mobility, I can seriously back this technique. You can go from shielding to standing really fast.

Sorry if this is stuff you guys already know about, but I figured i'd do what i could to help. If i get the chance i'll relay more Mofo intelligence, and i'll probably be around here more just for the sake of the character. <3

Edit: also, how do you show Ness having posession? As in "The dair of Ness". It got kind of confusing for me while writing this.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
It's actually correct either way as long as you remain consistent in which you choose throughout your text

slizzardking

Smash Rookie
I have been DJCing by pressing X twice with the knuckle of my right hand middle finger and flicking the C-stick in my air direction. I use the tip of my middle finger to press-R for my shield/wavedash. Does anyone else do this?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Ness can DairSHDJCFFACOoS (Down air short hop double jump cancel fast fall auto cancel out of shield), that's officially the longest abbreviation ever.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I'm pretty sure the correct abbreviation would be djcffdairoosac

or just call it mofo landing or something like that. I don't think it would be that useful though. Isn't it just as fast to wd oos?

You could also do dj landing oos (jump then dj into the ground) which would be faster than any djcdairac. But that is also extremely hard to get frame perfectly. I'm still working on more basic things. I'll focus on getting that down pat later.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
That's what I was talking about. But according to thesage, you can double jump into the ground.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
You can dj into the ground. All djc characters slightly go down when they dj. It's really easy to do with Peach. Just jump and then dj as quickly as possible.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I never knew you could do that. I guess that is faster, but I still like DairSHDJCFFACOoS :awesome:

Massive

Smash Champion
I've gotten some nice shield pokes w/ bair, djc-ing a little into the ground... if the situation permits.
The legend of thunderworm continues.

slizzardking said:
I have been DJCing by pressing X twice with the knuckle of my right hand middle finger and flicking the C-stick in my air direction. I use the tip of my middle finger to press-R for my shield/wavedash. Does anyone else do this?
To DJC, I usually put the top of my thumb on Y and the bottom of my thumb on X, then press my thumb down tip>back. After that I tilt my finger over to A with the direction of the move I'm using, unless it's a dair, then I slap the cstick down with my thumb.

Double tapping relies on the speed of the springy rubber piece inside of the controller, which is NOT TRUSTWORTHY AT ALL.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
crazy ness stuff feat. Mofo
More please!

I was reading up on FluxWolf's topic about Fox oos-waveshining. Idk if the current metagame, or any player at any time, successfully incorporates this yet. oos djc dair autocancel sounds like the same level of difficulty. But to echo the motive, a player with this technique could add a scary dimension to their game. Not broken like oos shinedash punishes though.

Would you be able to post frame counts on this badboy?

Let's say a player does master this technique. [Judging by frame advantage] would this be a good punisher?

I don't have access to a cube til a few weeks later, but I'll start messing around with ledge autocanceled dair tech-chases. Sweet.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
I've seen that before in Perfect Control. How does it work?
in 1 frame lol

not saying i'm good at it but ppl sure do like to say WTF when it happens :D

basically you up-b, then d-stick the opposite direction (diagonally downward). search the Doc forums for more. Smac has some applications.

ness can be crazy techy both fast AND slow playstyles. kinda cool.

i.e. extra style points for pkt tailwhip "shinespikes" >:3

Top Bottom