• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta General MU Help/Discussion

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I'll just quote myself from another thread.
Your thoughts on the matchup with :4greninja:? I am a player of both characters and am debatably among the most prominent players of both characters in my state, and while I don't particularly have trouble with the matchup on either side, it is only natural that I'd love to know how my main and my secondary fight against each other. I even used to main Greninja (or as I like to call him, Gekkouga) myself, but later switched to Mega Man after attending a national and doing better with him than Gren, and he's now been demoted to 2nd rate. Sometimes the secondary becomes the main since he's easier to use and/or a better character lol. Unfortunately, I myself don't get to experience the matchup much: There are hardly any other people in my region that play Greninja at all and I've only seen like at most 4 other people playing him in some of my locals, I haven't played against any of them yet and from what I've seen none of them are particularly good or amazing (or at the very least, none of them are prominent or well-known). There are a few other Mega Men and I've played them with my Greninja, but I felt that most of them were a little below my skill level and that I simply outplayed them more than anything else. I've heard good things about this one other guy in my region who plays MM and is usually considered the best one we have besides myself, he once told me has problems with Greninja and wanted to play me online and so we did, hearing that I play the character (we haven't yet met in person). He beat me pretty badly at first, but eventually I got a little more patient and started getting the better of him, but I still don't know if that's a good measurement of the matchup since it was an online match and while I think he is good, I felt that I adapted overtime while he kinda didn't and I also disagreed with his choice of custom moves (he used Skull Barrier, and I personally don't think its worth taking against Gren and losing Leaf/Plant). I would also still love more challenging foes besides just him too.

The Greninja boards think the MU is 55:45 and that they win it slightly, but I've yet to hear what you guys think from our side. From my opinions its a super even MU for the most part and can honestly go either way. Without customs, it probably favors Gekkouga slightly, and with customs it probably favors Rockman slightly: His weakness is his bad frame data and poor Out Of Shield Options (this character dreads having to push the shield button, abuse it), and while he has the mobility to bypass our lemons, he doesn't really have any safe approaching normals to go with it and overall he doesn't have a great approach game and can't play rushdown, pretty reliant on a heavy bait and punish playstyle like :4sonic:. He's not really going to be winning the projectile war either, uncharged shurikens get cancelled by lemons and charged ones can be interrupted by lemons before he can finish charging and we can jump over them anyway. What he does offer though, is a better damage output than Rockman and can combo us fairly, and while he has no approaching normals he still has amazing air mobility to get around our wall of projectiles and a difficult to gimp recovery, as well as decent (but not good) kill setups. I feel Danger Wrap would pretty darn helpful against him, normally he can completely avoid projectiles by jumping over them and fasfalling but DW and Air Shooter can help cover the air and threaten his landing, & Gekkouga's landing options aren't particularly good outside of Hydro Pump (which DW can still threaten) and we get another option to kill him with. Tornado Hold worsens our recovery and it can get gimped by his Hydro Pump, but works great onstage against him as an out of shield option and he has to think twice about recovering low with it. Customs don't really do much to change Gekkouga's gameplan, and I don't think any of them in particular are effective against Rock, so if he uses any fighting him shouldn't change the way he plays with them on and if he does have them, its arguably easier to deal with him.

Also, since @@NinjaLink plays both characters as well, I'd soooo love to hear what he thinks if he were to show up.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
I'll just quote myself from another thread.
That's a great write-up. When I first started thinking about Greninja all I could think of was how easy it should be to keep him at bay with almost only lemons, but as you say he has good mobility but lacks safe approaches. When he get in though I would imagine he could deal a lot of damage. It's one of those "we win the neutral but..." as with Falcon and Sonic like you mentioned. How good kill options does Greninja have against us?

In theory, in my little head, the matchup should be very even if Greninja has any experience with the matchup.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
That's a great write-up. When I first started thinking about Greninja all I could think of was how easy it should be to keep him at bay with almost only lemons, but as you say he has good mobility but lacks safe approaches. When he get in though I would imagine he could deal a lot of damage. It's one of those "we win the neutral but..." as with Falcon and Sonic like you mentioned. How good kill options does Greninja have against us?

In theory, in my little head, the matchup should be very even if Greninja has any experience with the matchup.
Kill options are pretty decent, I'd say, maybe a little better than ours but not overwhelming like say :4ness: or :4littlemac: who are arguably gods at killing. Not as threatening as :4falcon: or :4zss:'s kills either.

None of his throws are really kill throws and don't have guaranteed setups into kill moves either. Some Greninja's may try Dthrow > SideB or Uthrow > Uair Spike > Dsmash but these are more hard reads than actual combos to catch you offguard if you try to airdodge, and can be avoided if you see them coming. All 3 of his grabs are pretty slow as well with startup frames of 14/9/15 (most grabs come out in just 6-8 frames), although dash and pivot grabs have deceptively good range so keep that in mind. His Dash Grab is arguably one of the better ones in the game, but his other two kinda suck.

One of his custom moves Shifting Shuriken sends you at angles when chargedif it and combos into his Usmash or Uair for kills, or Fsmash if you're hit with it offstage. But it has much more lag than his default water shuriken and has transcendent priority, it can go through our projectiles (including lemons) but it does not stop them and he will still get hit by them, which means we can freely use metal blades if the Greninja is using it and even if we get hit, the MB will put him into too much hitstun to combo us and we can jump away before he can act. Leaf Shield/Plant Barrier also protects you from being combo'd by it if you have it on, leaves cut him before he can act and you can still jump out. Would personally avoid using Shifting Shuriken against Mega Man, this move wants to used offensively, but its too laggy and he loses a good tool for mid-long range combat), and if the opposing Greninja chooses it against you keep these in mind and he'll regret choosing it.

He has a few setups and strings into his kill moves, but only one of them is actually guaranteed aside from the shifting shuriken.

Uair spike > Dsmash, usually started from a spiked Dair or an Uthrow; but you can tech the Uair spike
Dthrow > Shadow Sneak. I do this one all the time and its not really a combo, its more of a bait for people who airdodge on reaction and hit the ground suffering massive landing lag (and a LOT of people air dodge on reaction)
Dthrow > Fair
Dtilt > Usmash
Nair > Usmash
Utilt > Uair. This is the guaranteed one, but I'm not sure how early it'll kill us due to our weight.

Smash attacks all have decent endlag and are pretty easy to punish if they fail. Down Smash is the slowest to come out and isn't all that powerful. Usmash has a sweetspot right above Greninja, and if you're on the battlefield stage standing on a platform it won't consistently hit you both times and if you're grounded next to him its not as powerful as his others, but other than that its his best smash and can be stringed into if you aren't careful.

Most of his kills have to smartly devised and made with good reads, just with most characters.He's not bad at killing and certainly doesn't lack power, but I wouldn't call him good at it either. So-So sounds more like it, we both need to make good reads for kills and we both have to put our lives on the line for it, but I'd give the killing department to Greninja since I feel he has a few more setups for it. Diagonal Metal Blade >Up Tilt/Usmash might help even things out a bit though, even if he shields it we can still grab and his own out of shield options are horrible (as mentioned previously)

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Lemons are completely useless in my experience. Shiek just jumps over and F-airs me or Nair's through all three.
Against fast characters like Sheik and Falcon, I find we don't have the luxury of firing three lemons. At least not until we condition our opponent not to expect them.

Vs. Sheik I usually start doing my best SSBB Falco impression and zone with "short hop lasers" and "short hop double lasers" (i.e. only firing one or two lemons at a time, weaving in and out). By constantly tagging them with a single lemon, you can interrupt their rhythm and force mistakes, or frustrate them and get them to commit to a Bouncing Fish that they shouldn't have.

I also think that Rush Coil is underrated and can be helpful in the Sheik MU. Because most of Sheik's best approaches are from the air, placing a Rush on the stage and hiding behind him can help give you some breathing room. (IIRC Rush can cancel Bouncing Fish before the hitbox comes out.) You can also screw up her rhythm by UpBing OOS or by dashing under her and UpBing before she lands. Obviously it's not something you want to do a lot, but it's an option in our toolkit that I don't see people use very much.

Last edited:

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Against fast characters like Sheik and Falcon, I find we don't have the luxury of firing three lemons. At least not until we condition our opponent not to expect them.

Vs. Sheik I usually start doing my best SSBB Falco impression and zone with "short hop lasers" and "short hop double lasers" (i.e. only firing one or two lemons at a time, weaving in and out). By constantly tagging them with a single lemon, you can interrupt their rhythm and force mistakes, or frustrate them and get them to commit to a Bouncing Fish that they shouldn't have.

I also think that Rush Coil is underrated and can be helpful in the Sheik MU. Because most of Sheik's best approaches are from the air, placing a Rush on the stage and hiding behind him can help give you some breathing room. (IIRC Rush can cancel Bouncing Fish before the hitbox comes out.) You can also screw up her rhythm by UpBing OOS or by dashing under her and UpBing before she lands. Obviously it's not something you want to do a lot, but it's an option in our toolkit that I don't see people use very much.
I'm definately gonna try the UpB thingie!

Now today I played a good lil'mac, and I've gotta say, I can't figure out this match-up AT ALL! It feels like I have to come up with some completely different tactic to combat him, any advice?

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I'm definately gonna try the UpB thingie!

Now today I played a good lil'mac, and I've gotta say, I can't figure out this match-up AT ALL! It feels like I have to come up with some completely different tactic to combat him, any advice?
Battlefield for sure, mb, bthrow and leafstool

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
Mac is one of those characters who can be somewhat unpredictable. I find CB works well here as it will bait a lot of his smashes and force him into shield where you can grab him and throw him into the air and have your way woth him.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Try and bait him to go up in the air after you. His air game is crap and up air can keep him there because he has bad aerial mobility. Also go for grabs to throw him of the ledge and then edgeguard the poo out of him.

Just be careful when on the ground. Shield is your friend his grabs aren't super good so shield is generally safe. Try and hit him on his cool downs from smashes.

Any tips against good duck hunts? I usually don't have a problem against him but I faced a really good one that kept getting me with all the projectiles

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Lol. @ X-FACTOR X-FACTOR and I have played Mega v Mac for hours and hours on end. Literally from dusk till dawn.

Sit in shield, and you'll get safely pressured by dtilt and spaced ftilt until your shield breaks.

Crash bomb will help but you have to land a crash bomb on him first. If you're both on the ground, you have to be sure you have enough space to shoot a CB (and he can jolt haymaker on reaction to punish).

Mac will not go in the air. If he is "baited" to go in the air, he's a bad Mac.

Battlefield is a decent stage for Mac. DH and Dreamland are far worse while Smashville is debatable.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
I don't commit to triple lemons here either. Double lemons are safer and as for off stage, I use a lemon to disrupt the macs recovery. One solid close range lemon will net you a kill off the stage. U air is pretty solid here as stated before.

As for DHD, I haven't played too many of them, but the biggest problem I have in that fight is the trick shot. I'll tend to pop a quick Fsmash on it to flip it around assuming I have the safety net to do so. Otherwise, I just kinda read it's movements.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227

Lol. @ X-FACTOR X-FACTOR and I have played Mega v Mac for hours and hours on end. Literally from dusk till dawn.

Sit in shield, and you'll get safely pressured by dtilt and spaced ftilt until your shield breaks.

Crash bomb will help but you have to land a crash bomb on him first. If you're both on the ground, you have to be sure you have enough space to shoot a CB (and he can jolt haymaker on reaction to punish).

Mac will not go in the air. If he is "baited" to go in the air, he's a bad Mac.

Battlefield is a decent stage for Mac. DH and Dreamland are far worse while Smashville is debatable.
So, what can Megaman do against Mac?

Cause i know everyone wants to say "get off stage, keep off stage" but that ain't easy unless it is a FG Mac.

Last edited:

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Next time I fight a mac I'll try to play more careful, not commit too much and I really have to stop trying to punish his fsmash/whatever with a dashgrab. I read somewhere about retreating FF Uairs, gonna try that one.

Also platform camping, even though I cry inside every time I do anything like that :(

X-FACTOR

Smash Journeyman
While its true Locke and I have played a lot, it hard to say how this match up should go. We both feel its pretty even, dare I say 50-50?

General Mac info:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You really have to respect his normal's as Locke mentioned and yes that is a bad Mac if he is attempting to go into the air. That's not to say he can't go for something in the air, usually that being Up-B, but a smart Mac should stay grounded. While he has polarizing strength and weaknesses, the character isn't as black and white as people make him out to be. A simple back throw into X does not guarantee a sudden lost in stock. Yes He will be at a disadvantage, but a good Mac knows how to recover.

He has amazing frame data, high priority moves with decent range, super armor, low cool down, safe on shield pokes, racks damage quickly, tilts that cannot rebound, more than enough ways to kill, and has a stupid spot dodge with a roll that puts your assistant sister to shame. Yes he's not an air fighter but for the love of god, RESPECT the mans ground game or you will find yourself back in Dr.Lights lab having to put your tin can a** back together.

Neutral:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mac has to be patient to get the edge in this MU and learn when he can rush down or when he should be safe and poke. There's a lot of respect in this MU from both sides as they both have the options/tools to dispose of each other.

My advice for you Blue Bombers is to space your projectiles well and force the approach. Even though Mac can tilt through them, keep your cool and fire away (smartly) to pester them to come in. When Mac does approach its your job to make sure you stay safe and punish accordingly (Grab is probably your best option to punish with). Your shield is generally safe when hes "in" as you need not worry about his grab (its bad). If his tilts/smashes are meaty on shield that should be a punish. If you stay in shield Mac will have to back off and space properly in order for the tilts/smashes to not be meaty on shield, meaning he'll have to stay/roll away from you and not be on the inside which often times resets back to neutral.

You can get away with keeping your shield up with low level Macs when they are "in" but as you play better ones, they will condition you to stay in shield when they start getting on the inside. This will result with Mac standing in front of you (while your in shield) and just wait for you to make a move so they can try and read/punish, or get in at the perfect range so as to not have their tilts be meaty and shield pressure you to force you to make a move or run the risk of a weak/broken shield or just simply grab you. Even still, shield is really good against Mac, just be wary of the options I've mentioned above.

Specials:
Saw Blade: It's great for setting up stuff like grabs and w/e it is you guys do in the air, as it pops him high enough off stage to make Mac garbage but low enough to where if he attempts to air dodge/or do an ariel he's gonna be really laggy when he lands so you can follow up accordingly.

Razor Leaf: It's interesting in this MU, Lockes gimped me a few times on the edge just by standing there with RL up as I attempt to come back, I think its more so effective if Mac Side-B's to the ledge, I don't think it shuts down Macs Up-B. I feel its great for when Mac is just hanging out on the ledge trying to figure out how to get back on, as it forces him to make a decision quick before invincibility frames are gone, otherwise he's gonna get tagged hanging out down there. With that said Mac doesn't have many options, as his roll on is poor and hes not gonna want to jump, his options are limited so learn to read/force him to make a poor choice while RL is on. It may just be me, but when RL is up, I run away like a chicken with my head cut-off cause I can't do anything about it. I usually just have to run away until its gone. I suppose I could just throw out tilts but often times He'll shield and I'll get tagged by the RL, which opens up opportunities. Not a great option but not a bad one to throw out time from time.

Rush (Up-B): Is great for getting out of his combo strings or multi jab (DI up and mash UP-B)

Crash Bomb: I don't see Locke use it much in our matches, but when he does its more so to just force my shield up to slow me down and to keep me from running all over the stage, its essentially one mroe thing I have to be wary of thus giving him a little time to breath.

Tilts:
D-tilt: It's pretty good in this MU, I've seen Locke throw it out and hit me with it more than I'd like to admit. You would think its not a good choice, but like RL its not bad to throw out every now and then. I'm not sure what Locke is looking for when he throws it out, you'll have to ask him. Also it's good for edge guarding? (sometimes he get me with it most of the time he doesn't, which leads me to believe its not as great as an edge guarding tool as you would think it is)

U-tilt: Of course is a great kill option, honestly that's on you. Your gonna have to read the roll patterns of mac and punish accordingly, cause macs will roll... a lot, cause why not they can afford to. So learn how the mac rolls, when and where and if you can pressure them, that will almost always get them to roll so pick up on the habits (I almost always find Macs rolling to the inside when they have there back to the edge, so try to poke them and see what they do and you might just land an up-tilt). Another way to land it is to power shield one of his tilts/smashes, or wait for him to do a meaty tilt/smash on shield (like I stated earlier these are punishable.)

Pro tip: You can actually U-tilt the tip of his F-tilt/F-smash if they just space right outside your face.

F-tilt: PEW PEW PEW all day! Just do a set of lemons here and there, don't just 3 Lemons and then 3 Lemons again. Mix it up and back away to be safe. Use your best judgment on how to projectile camp with lemons, sometimes doing two sets of lemon in a row works, most of the time it doesn't. If you learn to mix it up with your other projectiles you can catch the Mac off guard and serve him a good dose of lemonade.

Pro tip: Lol, Why the F*** do you guys call it lemons? I just call them pellets, I'm just using the general term that everyone seems to go by. Its just strange to think about this awesome robotic mech bad-a** armed to the teeth with a crazy arsenal of death gadgets and weapons, and then when he goes to shoot you a lemon comes out.... I can't get that image out of my head, lol.

Ariels (Airials? Aireals? Airal? .... Air moves)
I don't have much to say for his Ariel moves, as everyone beats Mac in the air. It's pretty straight forward so I promise you'll be fine if you ever are confronted with an ariel Mac.

All your ariels are great, cause honestly whats Mac gonna do? He has to always be on the defense when he's in the air, never will he be offensive. Unless your dumb and get hit by Up-B to die at like 50% off the top. So go Ham! Use Up-air to zone his position to make him land where you want if your on stage and under him, D-air to edge guard his linear recovery (never see Locke use it outside of that), and B-air and F-air are great to follow Mac into the air with to punish his poor Air-Game not to mention they are great ways to pressure his shield and be safe... you know, in-case you just don't want to always throw lemons at him.

Pro tip: B-air is great for crossing up Mac's shield, and a better edge guarding tool than fair as its multi hit, stays out longer, and has greater knock back and has potential to kill/gimp.

Smashes:
I not gonna cover smashes (for now), cause its rare I see Locke use them in our matches. None the less he does use them from time to time only to ever really punish roll reads. Outside of that I never see Locke just throw them out, as they obviously have a long cool down and in this MU you cant afford to do risky moves like that. I've notices Locke will attempt to do Up/Down smash to preemptively read my positioning when I return to stage when hanging on the ledge.

At the end of the day I'm not to sure what Locke is looking for when he attempts to throw them out, or if they have any other purpose or utility outside of punishing poor roll choices and stage returns. (Locke, please give your input)

Grabs:
While yes, I've stated that Backthrow > X doesn't necessarily lead to a stock loss, it will always put Mac in a bad position, even if the Mac can recover well. It's very uncomfortable to be in the air and often times frustrating. I'd say grab is your best tool in this MU as I believe it relatively safe on whiff, has decent range, but ultimately a good projectile game will cause him to shield unwillingly to avoid the projectiles which in turn you can condition/force them to throw up shield to attempt to nab a grab.

Since Macs will be rolling and shielding a lot to get "in" that already beats one of his options, of course easier said than done (again just be aware of of both your and his options.) Once Mac is grabbed it will lead to an ariel game which may not lead to a stock loss, but most definitely will allow you to tack on some extra damage with your airel options. Grab into any throw, usually UP/Down into w/e will probably be where the majority of your damage will come from. Forward/Back throw should be primarily used when on the edge to put mac off the stage and in a bad position, allowing you to set up for the edge guard.

So yes Grabs are good... with anything though just be smart on how you throw them out (No pun intended)

Conclusion:
It can honestly go either way, I feel this MU is very momentum based (I feel that way with a lot of Mac MU) the neutral in this MU is Long and drawn out and both player have to be patient and respect each others options. I feel that there is no such thing as a lead in this MU cause at any given time the momentum can swing wildly in the other persons favor, which of course results in the drawn out neutral I mentioned. With that said, the Blue Bomber has great tools to deal with Mac.

I stated in the beginning of this "guide" that it may be 50/50, but as I wrote this up going over the tools he has, and thinking about how Locke implements them in our matches I'd have to say its in Mega Mans favor, but ever so slightly. I'm leaning towards 45/55, or 60/40 in favor of the Blue Bomber.

So yea, that's my 2 cents on the MU, Locke feel free to chime in and add anything I may have missed, or not noticed in our sets. Also correct me if I'm wrong on anything I've mentioned. Also let me know what you Mega Man players think, agree? disagree? Any valuable and/or viable information I missed about MM or options he may have in this MU. Go ahead and let me know in your post and share all the wonderful information you have.

TL;DR
Just read it, it will be good for you, lol.

Also...Wheres MEGA MAN LEGENDS 3? GOD DAMMIT CAPCOM! WHY YOU DO THIS, I LOVE MEGAMAN, NINTENDO TREATS HIM BETTER THAN YOU DO! (FYI: I play Zero in UMVC3, WHENS MAHVEL!)

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
While its true Locke and I have played a lot, it hard to say how this match up should go. We both feel its pretty even, dare I say 50-50?

General Mac info:
You really have to respect his normal's as Locke mentioned and yes that is a bad Mac if he is attempting to go into the air. That's not to say he can't go for something in the air, usually that being Up-B, but a smart Mac should stay grounded. While he has polarizing strength and weaknesses, the character isn't as black and white as people make him out to be. A simple back throw into X does not guarantee a sudden lost in stock. Yes He will be at a disadvantage, but a good Mac knows how to recover.

He has amazing frame data, high priority moves with decent range, super armor, low cool down, safe on shield pokes, racks damage quickly, tilts that cannot rebound, more than enough ways to kill, and has a stupid spot dodge with a roll that puts your assistant sister to shame. Yes he's not an air fighter but for the love of god, RESPECT the mans ground game or you will find yourself back in Dr.Lights lab having to put your tin can a** back together.

Neutral:
Mac has to be patient to get the edge in this MU and learn when he can rush down or when he should be safe and poke. There's a lot of respect in this MU from both sides as they both have the options/tools to dispose of each other.

My advice for you Blue Bombers is to space your projectiles well and force the approach. Even though Mac can tilt through them, keep your cool and fire away (smartly) to pester them to come in. When Mac does approach its your job to make sure you stay safe and punish accordingly (Grab is probably your best option to punish with). Your shield is generally safe when hes "in" as you need not worry about his grab (its bad). If his tilts/smashes are meaty on shield that should be a punish. If you stay in shield Mac will have to back off and space properly in order for the tilts/smashes to not be meaty on shield, meaning he'll have to stay/roll away from you and not be on the inside which often times resets back to neutral.

You can get away with keeping your shield up with low level Macs when they are "in" but as you play better ones, they will condition you to stay in shield when they start getting on the inside. This will result with Mac standing in front of you (while your in shield) and just wait for you to make a move so they can try and read/punish, or get in at the perfect range so as to not have their tilts be meaty and shield pressure you to force you to make a move or run the risk of a weak/broken shield or just simply grab you. Even still, shield is really good against Mac, just be wary of the options I've mentioned above.

Specials:
Saw Blade: It's great for setting up stuff like grabs and w/e it is you guys do in the air, as it pops him high enough off stage to make Mac garbage but low enough to where if he attempts to air dodge/or do an ariel he's gonna be really laggy when he lands so you can follow up accordingly.

Razor Leaf: It's interesting in this MU, Lockes gimped me a few times on the edge just by standing there with RL up as I attempt to come back, I think its more so effective if Mac Side-B's to the ledge, I don't think it shuts down Macs Up-B. I feel its great for when Mac is just hanging out on the ledge trying to figure out how to get back on, as it forces him to make a decision quick before invincibility frames are gone, otherwise he's gonna get tagged hanging out down there. With that said Mac doesn't have many options, as his roll on is poor and hes not gonna want to jump, his options are limited so learn to read/force him to make a poor choice while RL is on. It may just be me, but when RL is up, I run away like a chicken with my head cut-off cause I can't do anything about it. I usually just have to run away until its gone. I suppose I could just throw out tilts but often times He'll shield and I'll get tagged by the RL, which opens up opportunities. Not a great option but not a bad one to throw out time from time.

Rush (Up-B): Is great for getting out of his combo strings or multi jab (DI up and mash UP-B)

Crash Bomb: I don't see Locke use it much in our matches, but when he does its more so to just force my shield up to slow me down and to keep me from running all over the stage, its essentially one mroe thing I have to be wary of thus giving him a little time to breath.

Tilts:
D-tilt: It's pretty good in this MU, I've seen Locke throw it out and hit me with it more than I'd like to admit. You would think its not a good choice, but like RL its not bad to throw out every now and then. I'm not sure what Locke is looking for when he throws it out, you'll have to ask him. Also it's good for edge guarding? (sometimes he get me with it most of the time he doesn't, which leads me to believe its not as great as an edge guarding tool as you would think it is)

U-tilt: Of course is a great kill option, honestly that's on you. Your gonna have to read the roll patterns of mac and punish accordingly, cause macs will roll... a lot, cause why not they can afford to. So learn how the mac rolls, when and where and if you can pressure them, that will almost always get them to roll so pick up on the habits (I almost always find Macs rolling to the inside when they have there back to the edge, so try to poke them and see what they do and you might just land an up-tilt). Another way to land it is to power shield one of his tilts/smashes, or wait for him to do a meaty tilt/smash on shield (like I stated earlier these are punishable.)

Pro tip: You can actually U-tilt the tip of his F-tilt/F-smash if they just space right outside your face.

F-tilt: PEW PEW PEW all day! Just do a set of lemons here and there, don't just 3 Lemons and then 3 Lemons again. Mix it up and back away to be safe. Use your best judgment on how to projectile camp with lemons, sometimes doing two sets of lemon in a row works, most of the time it doesn't. If you learn to mix it up with your other projectiles you can catch the Mac off guard and serve him a good dose of lemonade.

Pro tip: Lol, Why the F*** do you guys call it lemons? I just call them pellets, I'm just using the general term that everyone seems to go by. Its just strange to think about this awesome robotic mech bad-a** armed to the teeth with a crazy arsenal of death gadgets and weapons, and then when he goes to shoot you a lemon comes out.... I can't get that image out of my head, lol.

Ariels (Airials? Aireals? Airal? .... Air moves)
I don't have much to say for his Ariel moves, as everyone beats Mac in the air. It's pretty straight forward so I promise you'll be fine if you ever are confronted with an ariel Mac.

All your ariels are great, cause honestly whats Mac gonna do? He has to always be on the defense when he's in the air, never will he be offensive. Unless your dumb and get hit by Up-B to die at like 50% off the top. So go Ham! Use Up-air to zone his position to make him land where you want if your on stage and under him, D-air to edge guard his linear recovery (never see Locke use it outside of that), and B-air and F-air are great to follow Mac into the air with to punish his poor Air-Game not to mention they are great ways to pressure his shield and be safe... you know, in-case you just don't want to always throw lemons at him.

Pro tip: B-air is great for crossing up Mac's shield, and a better edge guarding tool than fair as its multi hit, stays out longer, and has greater knock back and has potential to kill/gimp.

Smashes:
I not gonna cover smashes (for now), cause its rare I see Locke use them in our matches. None the less he does use them from time to time only to ever really punish roll reads. Outside of that I never see Locke just throw them out, as they obviously have a long cool down and in this MU you cant afford to do risky moves like that. I've notices Locke will attempt to do Up/Down smash to preemptively read my positioning when I return to stage when hanging on the ledge.

At the end of the day I'm not to sure what Locke is looking for when he attempts to throw them out, or if they have any other purpose or utility outside of punishing poor roll choices and stage returns. (Locke, please give your input)

Grabs:
While yes, I've stated that Backthrow > X doesn't necessarily lead to a stock loss, it will always put Mac in a bad position, even if the Mac can recover well. It's very uncomfortable to be in the air and often times frustrating. I'd say grab is your best tool in this MU as I believe it relatively safe on whiff, has decent range, but ultimately a good projectile game will cause him to shield unwillingly to avoid the projectiles which in turn you can condition/force them to throw up shield to attempt to nab a grab.

Since Macs will be rolling and shielding a lot to get "in" that already beats one of his options, of course easier said than done (again just be aware of of both your and his options.) Once Mac is grabbed it will lead to an ariel game which may not lead to a stock loss, but most definitely will allow you to tack on some extra damage with your airel options. Grab into any throw, usually UP/Down into w/e will probably be where the majority of your damage will come from. Forward/Back throw should be primarily used when on the edge to put mac off the stage and in a bad position, allowing you to set up for the edge guard.

So yes Grabs are good... with anything though just be smart on how you throw them out (No pun intended)

Conclusion:
It can honestly go either way, I feel this MU is very momentum based (I feel that way with a lot of Mac MU) the neutral in this MU is Long and drawn out and both player have to be patient and respect each others options. I feel that there is no such thing as a lead in this MU cause at any given time the momentum can swing wildly in the other persons favor, which of course results in the drawn out neutral I mentioned. With that said, the Blue Bomber has great tools to deal with Mac.

I stated in the beginning of this "guide" that it may be 50/50, but as I wrote this up going over the tools he has, and thinking about how Locke implements them in our matches I'd have to say its in Mega Mans favor, but ever so slightly. I'm leaning towards 45/55, or 60/40 in favor of the Blue Bomber.

So yea, that's my 2 cents on the MU, Locke feel free to chime in and add anything I may have missed, or not noticed in our sets. Also correct me if I'm wrong on anything I've mentioned. Also let me know what you Mega Man players think, agree? disagree? Any valuable and/or viable information I missed about MM or options he may have in this MU. Go ahead and let me know in your post and share all the wonderful information you have.

TL;DR
Just read it, it will be good for you, lol.

Also...Wheres MEGA MAN LEGENDS 3? GOD DAMMIT CAPCOM! WHY YOU DO THIS, I LOVE MEGAMAN, NINTENDO TREATS HIM BETTER THAN YOU DO! (FYI: I play Zero in UMVC3, WHENS MAHVEL!)
Dat wall
I guess I'll read it then, since it won't kill me (should it ?).

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
btw hi @ X-FACTOR X-FACTOR ... remember me?

my quick $.02 on the matchup...

6-4 for MegaMan.
I think this matchup is incredibly dependent on Mega's playstyle. Mac's approach is very linear... meaning he won't be jumping really, so he's limited to approaching with shield/dodge, attack, or his fairly slow grab (or YOLO side B). now since he is so fast, he's a char that actually can reliably (albeit still a bit slowly) approach thru pellets.

I think defensive-style pellet-heavy Mega gets slowly cornered and punished. Safe pelleting will be slowly retreating, and Mac just wants you to be forced into a punishable option.
Aggro Mega is the one I give an advantage to. Mega has very nice setups and pressure to get grabs, and he gets a LOT out of a grab. At low %, he's getting dthrow Bairx2... at higher %, he's putting Mac offstage.

Now offstage, it's really a rock paper scissors game. if you guess right, Mac dies. He can (essentially) side B, go lower and upB, or counter... If you follow him fairly deep offstage and setup for a bair, you should really be covering 2 of those options (going low and countering) just by waiting out a counter time, then 2nd jump bair (if he doesn't counter, he'll likely be too low to adjust the timing of the counter later). This also beats out air-dodge timing. This really only leaves sideB as the unexpected option that requires a read or good reaction to punish. Then again, that's also his riskiest option, so it works out.

I feel like Mega needs to go super grab-heavy and offstage edgeguard, while avoiding overreaching on Mac's shield/armor... but I think he wins if he does this.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
One amusing thing you can do to a Counter-happy recovering Mac is fake out a bair edgeguard, and instead jump past him and tag him with a lemon or uair. If he counters he'll go flying into the abyss. Same thing with Leaf Shield--not infrequently, if you jump with LS up at a recovering Mac and he tries to counter, the leaves will wrap around and hit him from behind.

Leaf Shield and Plant Barrier in general are awesome for edgeguarding Mac. If one of the leaves / flowers tags him before he can grab the ledge, that gives you a free footstool, which will seal the stock unless he manages to walljump, but even then we can follow up with a bair stage spike.

Last edited:

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
I've snagged a mac who abused punter and laughed as I tagged him from.behind. he just countered himself into the abyss.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Any tips against good duck hunts? I usually don't have a problem against him but I faced a really good one that kept getting me with all the projectiles
We have a good Duck Hunt in our crew. I say make like your avatar and use Metal Blade much more. It goes through his clay pigeon and usually hits him because the throw animation takes a while. It is also the only projectile we have that will go through his can. Keep his can in check with a Crash Bomb or Fsmash so he can't knock it towards you. Using Crash Bomb otherwise is pretty risky because the clay pigeon goes right through it. It does detonate on his gunmen, though.

You just have to rack up damage slowly and get good hits in when you can. He has a better grab/combo game than we do. Duck Hunt will throw you into his cans most of the time and delay his clay pigeon shooting to close some distance and follow up. His can also comes out on frame 1 (or so I was told) which breaks combo attempts. Go for the gimps when possible because his recovery is slow and easy to read. Usually he'll cover his recovery with the can.

I think most of my KOs on him last time we played were from bouncing his can back at him.

D

Deleted member

We have a good Duck Hunt in our crew. I say make like your avatar and use Metal Blade much more. It goes through his clay pigeon and usually hits him because the throw animation takes a while. It is also the only projectile we have that will go through his can. Keep his can in check with a Crash Bomb or Fsmash so he can't knock it towards you. Using Crash Bomb otherwise is pretty risky because the clay pigeon goes right through it. It does detonate on his gunmen, though.

You just have to rack up damage slowly and get good hits in when you can. He has a better grab/combo game than we do. Duck Hunt will throw you into his cans most of the time and delay his clay pigeon shooting to close some distance and follow up. His can also comes out on frame 1 (or so I was told) which breaks combo attempts. Go for the gimps when possible because his recovery is slow and easy to read. Usually he'll cover his recovery with the can.

I think most of my KOs on him last time we played were from bouncing his can back at him.
All of this. Duck Hunt's will usually spam their projectiles, and Metal Blade is great for that, since it'll go through and hit them.

And just like CopShowGuy says, get in good hits when you can. Play it patiently.

I think some of us Mega mains have a tendency to want to zone aggressively. But sometimes, we need to be more patient. This is one of those matches. Lots of MB and spacing.

Mr.Metal

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0860-3619-7626
Is there any chance we can talk about the Meta knight Match up? ive been going against a top level meta knight for a time here in my stay in the DR. And i got to say, I get absolutely destroyed by his meta knight.

I really need some advice on this, it honestly felt like I couldnt do anything. most of my projectiles were useless since he would just dash attack through them and forget about edgeguarding him I had to just wait and hope he made a mistake or else I would get naired to death or stage spiked (Dont tell me to just tech it, I was teching it most of the time). His combo game was annoying as hell to, I would literally die to a single U air string off the top like it was nothing (I was probably DI incorrectly), plus he would just combo the hell out of me until I was at death percent or offstage if the Uair strings to up b didnt end up killing me off the top.

Finally offstage, he was just a monster it was terrifying to be offstage against him If I didnt have my jump I would have might as well SD because there was no way I would have made it back, even with double jump he had a relatively easy time just straight up gimping me at like 40.

As I said he is a top meta knight so I was getting outplayed to, but nevertheless that entire Matchup just felt terrible for megaman.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Is there any chance we can talk about the Meta knight Match up? ive been going against a top level meta knight for a time here in my stay in the DR. And i got to say, I get absolutely destroyed by his meta knight.

I really need some advice on this, it honestly felt like I couldnt do anything. most of my projectiles were useless since he would just dash attack through them and forget about edgeguarding him I had to just wait and hope he made a mistake or else I would get naired to death or stage spiked (Dont tell me to just tech it, I was teching it most of the time). His combo game was annoying as hell to, I would literally die to a single U air string off the top like it was nothing (I was probably DI incorrectly), plus he would just combo the hell out of me until I was at death percent or offstage if the Uair strings to up b didnt end up killing me off the top.

Finally offstage, he was just a monster it was terrifying to be offstage against him If I didnt have my jump I would have might as well SD because there was no way I would have made it back, even with double jump he had a relatively easy time just straight up gimping me at like 40.

As I said he is a top meta knight so I was getting outplayed to, but nevertheless that entire Matchup just felt terrible for megaman.
I feel like it isnt the annoying since u can pellet him

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
I haven't had much issues with MK. It could very well just be he was a better player. His air game is definitely better than ours. Razor is like, my best friend in this matchup. Don't commit to triple lemons. That's where he will punish. One to two and mixing it up as you go along.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
He can easily just jump over and Dair you. I've even had meta knights dimensional cape me on my retreat.

The matchup is definitely not easy. Especially considering we have nothing to break his combo once the first up air connects.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
He can easily just jump over and Dair you. I've even had meta knights dimensional cape me on my retreat.

The matchup is definitely not easy. Especially considering we have nothing to break his combo once the first up air connects.
We can't even mash up B to rush coil out?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
We can't even mash up B to rush coil out?
Nope. You would have to have a move as fast or faster than frame 3 in my experience. Maybe someone who has the frame data can help out. I know that if a meta knight does it perfectly, it true combos most characters (easier on fast fallers)

Even if mega does rush coil out, it puts him higher into the air and gives meta knight an opportunity to reset the combo.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I feel like it isnt the annoying since u can pellet him
......... Stop. I know you mean well, but posts like that are unhelpful. Explain how pelleting him is different from pelleting Sheik or ROB.

MK can combo for days, but has a linear approach. He's very bait and punish. SHFF Up airs can beat out his DA/Grab approach and destroy his DAir camping, which good MK's like to do. Punish him hard, because he's light. Do not try and punish his fsmash, it's safe.

Basically. Be patient. Tack on % when you can, and punish hard. I haven't played against anyone who has dash attacked through pellets (I told my Fox friend to do that, but he hasn't done it successfully yet) so that's something that I can't really comment on.

Also, who's the MK if you don't mind me asking.

Also, Rush comes out f1 and you start jumping f9 with invincibility on 9. Full frame data coming someday soon now that I have access to a 60 fps capture card.

Edit: Re duck hunt: Get him off stage. His up-B is probably the most free up-B in the game. He'll cover his recovery with the can, and you can simply hit it away while hitting him, or hit the can first before hitting him. Abuse that recovery. Also, know how your tools interact with the can. MB turning the direction of the can is a very key thing to know.

Edit harder: Also, gonna do a write up for Mac. Because I am surprised at how in depth X went into the matchup and I want to reciprocate. Soon.

Last edited:

Mr.Metal

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0860-3619-7626
......... Stop. I know you mean well, but posts like that are unhelpful. Explain how pelleting him is different from pelleting Sheik or ROB.

MK can combo for days, but has a linear approach. He's very bait and punish. SHFF Up airs can beat out his DA/Grab approach and destroy his DAir camping, which good MK's like to do. Punish him hard, because he's light. Do not try and punish his fsmash, it's safe.

Basically. Be patient. Tack on % when you can, and punish hard. I haven't played against anyone who has dash attacked through pellets (I told my Fox friend to do that, but he hasn't done it successfully yet) so that's something that I can't really comment on.

Also, Rush comes out f1 and you start jumping f9 with invincibility on 9. Full frame data coming someday soon now that I have access to a 60 fps capture card.

Edit: Re duck hunt: Get him off stage. His up-B is probably the most free up-B in the game. He'll cover his recovery with the can, and you can simply hit it away while hitting him, or hit the can first before hitting him. Abuse that recovery. Also, know how your tools interact with the can. MB turning the direction of the can is a very key thing to know.

Edit harder: Also, gonna do a write up for Mac. Because I am surprised at how in depth X went into the matchup and I want to reciprocate. Soon.

Yeah I can agree with that advice, I did see myself not using Uair as much against him that would have probably helped alot, however in the rare instances I did use it, It felt extremely unsafe due to the lag on uair (he would space himself so that he wouldnt get hit by it and then punish).

I also agree with your camping idea due to the fact that I tried that out at some point, I found myself getting the damage and keeping him out but couldnt find the kill, mind you he knew my setups so I couldnt get the kill confirm on him.

Never do I feel so bad at this game as I do when I fight him, Oh well just more reason to train even harder I guess.

The Meta knight I was fighting is like the best one in the dominican republic I beleive he is among the top 5 of the dominican republic to, his tag is SDL Strider.

I will try to post some videos on the video and critique thread some time if I can with the top players of the DR they all use very unconventional characters and at a very scary level (There is a Game and watch here that I would compare to or even go as far as saying is better then gimz)

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace

"I" like in my personal experience...

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Yeah I can agree with that advice, I did see myself not using Uair as much against him that would have probably helped alot, however in the rare instances I did use it, It felt extremely unsafe due to the lag on uair (he would space himself so that he wouldnt get hit by it and then punish).

I also agree with your camping idea due to the fact that I tried that out at some point, I found myself getting the damage and keeping him out but couldnt find the kill, mind you he knew my setups so I couldnt get the kill confirm on him.

Never do I feel so bad at this game as I do when I fight him, Oh well just more reason to train even harder I guess.

The Meta knight I was fighting is like the best one in the dominican republic I beleive he is among the top 5 of the dominican republic to, his tag is SDL Strider.

I will try to post some videos on the video and critique thread some time if I can with the top players of the DR they all use very unconventional characters and at a very scary level (There is a Game and watch here that I would compare to or even go as far as saying is better then gimz)
Are you timing your uairs so that they come out at the last possible moment before you land on the stage? In my experience that is a safe thing to do in neutral, as Air Shooter is a transcendent hitbox and will pick up most (all?) characters before their dash attacks can connect--even the short ones like Kirby and MK. I don't think there are any disjointed dash attacks with long enough reach to punish through or even trade with a properly spaced landing uair; MK certainly doesn't have one. By the time the uair hitbox is safely out of the way for your opponent, you should be able to act again.

The most dangerous thing about relying on uairs are projectile pressure, which MK doesn't have, and characters who are fast enough to get under you and jump cancel usmash before the windbox comes out, and IIRC MK isn't that fast.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
He didn't went to evo, he said that in the social thread. I think @Kel thought he was going but he didn't ^^
I literally just saw Styles x2 use Megaman (although after the bracket that ended at 2:00 pm finished, with the black screen I clearly heard someone chose Megaman, and then it went to the other bracket..) so how did Megaman do at Evo, I mean it is worrying seeing so little representation and more at a customs tournament

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I literally just saw Styles x2 use Megaman (although after the bracket that ended at 2:00 pm finished, with the black screen I clearly heard someone chose Megaman, and then it went to the other bracket..) so how did Megaman do at Evo, I mean it is worrying seeing so little representation and more at a customs tournament
Then start to get worried, cause from what i heard there was only 4 Megaman's and not a single one won anything.
I can be wrong on the number and maybe one did win a set or two, but there were no Megas in top 32.

Tis a sad day...

It was pretty hype tho

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Then start to get worried, cause from what i heard there was only 4 Megaman's and not a single one won anything.
I can be wrong on the number and maybe one did win a set or two, but there were no Megas in top 32.

Tis a sad day...

It was pretty hype tho
WHAT :(, oh no I just expect that we are not like the only community still working on MM, I mean when we talk about MM there seems not to be that much matchups for him and we even show it with videos but the general opinion of MM is bad, not sure if it is good for the surprise effect at tourneys for the unknown matchup or bad for MM develop, anyway this means we should work even harder for MM and not dropping him more than ever

Top Bottom