• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Ike Discussion, Q&A, and Video Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
What do you think of the Dk match-up. I'm making the DK match-up thread and I think its a little biased around ike. is it an even match or what cause we've got an awsome edgeguard against you

comboking

Smash Master

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
I will test all this later!
I don't think counters work, but you never know. If Super armor frames can do it, then maybe counters will be able to.

Against Diddy.. his Bananas aren't as easily spammable as otehr projectiles, but they can hurt you. If you can get good at using them against him (It might just be me having Diddy as a second) you should be able to cause him a bit of problems. All I know is Ike plus auto-forced trips = awesome, so try to use the bananas to your advantage.

Sheikah Warrior

Smash Rookie
Well I ,ve discovered a way to cancel the AAA combo, you just 've to press the stick down right after you do the first A or the second A, with this you can deal much more damage to the enemy if you follow it by an other A.

You can do it like 3 times: A V A V A V AAA ; or instead of that you do an Aether or a down tilt, etc.
I hope you like it!! =D

SCOTU

Smash Hero
That's actually not different from not crouching, but just holding A for the first 2 jabs, then releasing and IASAing with whatever move you want.

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
I usually short hop in Nair or Fair to pressure people away. Both have backwards hit boxes people don't expect, so if they're behind you, instead of rolling, short hop a Nair into their head with the end of the attack then land in front of them with an A A A combo since you won't have lag when you land.

I use Fair and auto-RAR Nair to approach alot

SCOTU

Smash Hero
So avoid rolling in general?

What should I do instead?
dodge attacks by not being in the way, or by shielding, then dropping your shield and punishing.

I usually short hop in Nair or Fair to pressure people away. Both have backwards hit boxes people don't expect, so if they're behind you, instead of rolling, short hop a Nair into their head with the end of the attack then land in front of them with an A A A combo since you won't have lag when you land.

I use Fair and auto-RAR Nair to approach alot
good players will always know where Ike's attacks hit, so they'll expect it.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
I know that Ike can do two aerials with his two jumps so is it better usually to
full jump bair->fair
or
full jump bair->nair

Ofcourse, this is when you find that you WANT to full jump bair

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
I vastly prefer the c-stick to the B-stick. Makes spacing forward airs much easier, and the B-stick only slightly changes QD distance, (Also the auto RAR, but RARing is easy as is)

Speaking of RAR, I found another great use for it. I myself tend to rereating F-air a Fair bit (Ba-dum PSH). However, I just realized I've been RARing retreating fairs out of my dash. It works great with characters that have an aggressive approach, as you move fast, then unleash a large hitbox. While you could do a normal jump Back air, I find this also works well. Or RAR a Nair into whatever cause it turns you around.

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
Argh, you're confusing me

I can't break the habit of rolling with Ike. :(

And how do I approach projectile spammers? (Link, Pit, etc...)

Any good techs when it comes to spacing?

Betaz

Smash Ace
for projectile spammers try Short Airs and Airdodges...or you can try and QD in the air towards them (not reccomended but they might not expect it)

for spacing I'm going to have to agree with nitro-blazer with c-sticked f-airs

SCOTU

Smash Hero
DO NOT B-STICK WITH IKE. it gains him nothing, whilst losing him much aerial control on his aerial attacks.

Lord_Naomasa

Smash Apprentice
I've been noticing from tons of videos that how come the counter move is not used that often? It can be tricky to use but the rewards are amazing and it takes practise but I see it as part of Ike.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Ike's counter takes 32.7 years before it actually starts to counter, then proceeds to counter for a fraction of a second, and then takes 28.2 years before he's done doing the counter. All that for a counter with a worse hitbox than marth's and only 1.2x damage/ knockback. pretty frikin horrible.

Not to mention multiple hit attacks tear through it because it doesn't have invincibility when triggered.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
It's REALLY easy to get Ike's smashes at fastest speed, because the charge frame (the frame by witch you'd need to let go of A to not charge it) is really late in the smash (most evident with fsmash)

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
So I fight this link player and this is how it went...

I charge at him, dodge roll his arrows and jump for a fair, he hits me with boomerang, owch

So I roll away, and he just charges at me with nairs and fairs and Iend up rolling away.

This was like a week ago and realized what I should've done.

Charge at him, sidestep his arrows, air dodge his boomerang from a distance and then try to ftilt him, if he shields it then I'll N-Air the hell out of him.

Did I do better or are there any other suggestions?

KiKaiDa

Smash Rookie
I have a basic question. Is it faster to do a short hop b-air and fast fall or not fast fall. I notice lag when fastfalling however does the earlier landing time make up for it?

NiRV7iQ

Smash Apprentice
I have a basic question. Is it faster to do a short hop b-air and fast fall or not fast fall. I notice lag when fastfalling however does the earlier landing time make up for it?
Its all how you want to do it, and what the situation calls for... usally when im RARing i don't fast fall... but when i bair OOS then i fast fall it. Dunno why, but it works for me.

For projectile spammers... hopefully you are on a level with platforms(man i love this new battlefield) as it gives you more options for evasion.

One thing about Ike that im realizing, is that you wanna get very good at holding yourself back from unloading attacks all the time. You want to try and dodge your way into a perfect setup(not roll dodging though) . Ike's attacks, if you miss tend to leave you quite vulnerable.

Something I've found quite helpful recently is to drop through platforms and airdodge as opposed to attacking... switch it up with a back air here and there to keep your enemies guessing.
(I hope to get some videos of me up in the next week or so.)

BTW Ike's Fsmash is pure mindgames.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
you can "safely" do Ike's Fsmash whilst standing with your back to an edge. If they shield it, you'll slide off and grab the edge.

tk~

Smash Rookie
well i haven't seen this posted anywhere but on characters who pop up sorta high with Ike's AA combo (characters like Lucario, Marth, and Luige), the AA sets you up pretty nicely for a D tilt spike. It's usable if the opp is on terrain or not which is nice. If you time it right and if your opp is on terrain, the opp get spiked and does like a rolling animation in place, setting you up for whatever your next moves are. If the opp isn't on terrain, it's pretty much a free stock as they get spiked down hard. In both cases, if you don't time it right the D tilt will act like a basic D tilt and make the opp either fly upwards or diagonally away if you connect, rather than doing the spike. Anyway, I think it's pretty beastly if done right =)

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
B-stick with Ike ain't worth it as Ike is easy to RAR with, and RAR isn't used much. Also I like to do quick dash attacks using the c-stick when out of range of the jab sometimes.

Can someone put up good vids of Ike battles, where Ike actually plays well and wins? Kirk's How to Play with Ike vid owns, and just watching that once has made me at least as good as these Ike's in the vids. Kirk's matches are all online, and I can see the effect of it and they are ditto matches whicha re boring anyway. I want to see Ike playing against a good snake, pit, or space animal and actually win, or at least put up a good fight. I know what Ike beating Marth looks like; I do it many times each week. I have no idea what Ike beating a good Pit, Falco, or Wolf looks like though.

comboking

Smash Master
not to be mean or anything but that first one is kind of already know it is just that not many people use it yet

and that second one is already know too

Betaz

Smash Ace
-.- I would personaly like to start up a new subject...anything good I can use against Zelda's that have worked for any of you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom