• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Lol, when melee was released, I didn't read their name and I thought they were a bunch of sunflower people (since the picture of them shows only their hoods and they kind of looked like flowers). Then I picked them up, enjoyed them and when Brawl came out, I randomly looked up wobbling one day only to find that CG's that were infinite were applicable with them, making me REALLY happy. Never dropped them since.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I used them in Melee, but thought they weren't that good, then I saw a video of Chudat playing them, then I never dropped them after that.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Well, I had never knew Melee came out until I went to my distant Uncles house. ( At the time I still played 64) So I was like O.o, when I saw my cousin playing it. I luvved all the new characters. I started with Yoshi and my cousin played Mewtwo. At that time...I was a hhhhhhuuuuuuggggeeeeee noob who didn't know anything about how to play correctly.

So when I went home, I begged my parents to get me Melee, and I was looking through all the characters. I found the Ice Climbers and I was like "HEY! There are 2 of them!" So then I played them and sucked....really badly. So I looked up some videos on Youtube and I saw alllll kinds of videos of pro's and eventually found ChuDat. That video introduced me to the professional gaming world and I found SWF where I learned all the Advance Techs of Melee, and got super good with IC's. And I promised myself to main them forever and ever.

And because they are super cute.

Trufax.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Any tips on playing against Warios?
Ok, he has very good aerial mobility. If you try to grab out of shield, chances are that you will almost guaranteed get punished because of how much air speed he has. Try to use blizzards when he is in front of you and Uairs when he looks like he is going to do that dair of his above you. Shield very smartly and don't let him get all over you.

Prawn

Smash Master
Ok, he has very good aerial mobility. If you try to grab out of shield, chances are that you will almost guaranteed get punished because of how much air speed he has. Try to use blizzards when he is in front of you and Uairs when he looks like he is going to do that dair of his above you. Shield very smartly and don't let him get all over you.
Easier said then done, right now I have huge trouble with Game And Watch, Rob, Wario, Snake and Peach

those are the five that just give me nothing but headaches.

IxxI

Smash Fence
If Wario air camps, try not to stay underneath him, stay off to the side and space bairs really well. Jumping blizzards help a lot in this matchup.

-ADA-

Smash Apprentice
When first grabbing to do the b throw > d throw chain.

While grabbing MK for instance

Has anyone had the problem of getting the first back throw in?
Cause after that first throw it's easy.

But I have some trouble.
ex. Nana not turning around.

Any tips for this?
Or is it "simply practice."

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Easier said then done, right now I have huge trouble with Game And Watch, Rob, Wario, Snake and Peach

those are the five that just give me nothing but headaches.
Everyone has trouble with snake (I bet even Lain) and sometimes GaW.Its best to get a secondary for those two

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Try to use blizzards when he is in front of you and Uairs when he looks like he is going to do that dair of his above you. Shield very smartly and don't let him get all over you.
If Wario air camps, try not to stay underneath him, stay off to the side and space bairs really well. Jumping blizzards help a lot in this matchup.
Wario is one of the best projectile-less characters at getting around blizzard. Blizzard still definitely has its uses, but you can't semi-mindlessly spam it the same way you can against a lot of other characters. I nair a lot instead; it's basically a mini-blizzard.

Everyone has trouble with snake (I bet even Lain) and sometimes GaW.Its best to get a secondary for those two
People still think G&W is bad for ICs? If you just play really conservatively and don't mindlessly run into the turtle and whatnot, ICs do well against G&W.

Teh Future

Smash Master
desynced blizzard >>> G&W

its definitely not a fun matchup just because of how dumb G&W is and the fact that you can completely outplay your opponent and still lose because you randomly died from an upsmash at 60......

But its also definitely an even matchup, or slightly in ICs favor

Prawn

Smash Master
So whens the last time anyone made an advance in the metagame of the ICs?

Or has it been at sort of a standstill out of late? Is it our creativity vanishing or the age of the game that's making new discoveries not come about? I know it shouldn't be OFTEN but I looked at threads and it seems like October of last year was the last good discovery, I could be wrong though.

Hi my name is Doc, Professional online player just got into the tourney scene and have been placing top 3, very consistent, I'm on the GTAN power ranking for ontario.

I would like some critique / any tips that will help me on the ICS vs Game and watch matchup, hes a video. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtMleCP3gdw

Get a counterpick, it's honestly one of our worst matchups(aside from Snake as far as I know).

It's winnable no doubt, but investing a bit of time into a CP just for the character will be valuable. I'll look at the video later. General advice for this matchup is most Game and Watchs are very predictable, even at higher levels of play. You just need to be very patient and make sure you punish and don't miss opportunities. Find moves/strats that beat out their tendencies(i.e. utilt vs. key). Also avoid the Bair at all costs, AT ALL COSTS. lol

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Dammit BananaHammock, ICs do fine against G&W.

Doc, you play the match-up well, but you need to be a lot more cautious near the edge. You also really let your nerves get to you under pressure; the whole reason you lost the second game was you were trying way too hard to get the kill and just end it. Just relax! You have the lead, no need to rush anything. I don't have a lot of other complaints, but I do think you overuse blizzard and bair. I don't think bair really works very well against G&W; blizzard is fine when used intermittently, but you were using it often enough that Cyan was able to read you and punish it.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I would be so much better if I could figure out the GW matchup. It seems like you just have to camp the hell out of him and that's one thing I don't like to do.

Prawn

Smash Master
Dammit BananaHammock, ICs do fine against G&W.

Doc, you play the match-up well, but you need to be a lot more cautious near the edge. You also really let your nerves get to you under pressure; the whole reason you lost the second game was you were trying way too hard to get the kill and just end it. Just relax! You have the lead, no need to rush anything. I don't have a lot of other complaints, but I do think you overuse blizzard and bair. I don't think bair really works very well against G&W; blizzard is fine when used intermittently, but you were using it often enough that Cyan was able to read you and punish it.
The "regular" metagame of the ICs gives you a disadvantage, it is winnable, but as KawaiiBunny said you need to revert a completely different(and some would say boring) style of play.

Prawn

Smash Master
Has anyone ever done a desync, had Popo do his side b and Nana blizzard, and Nana slides while doing Blizzard?

Is this discovered? It seems pretty useful against certain characters and can rack up damage and get a free grab. I'm calling it the Hammock Slide for now, but yeah, its pretty crazy. I'm sure one of you guys have done it though.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Has anyone ever done a desync, had Popo do his side b and Nana blizzard, and Nana slides while doing Blizzard?

Is this discovered? It seems pretty useful against certain characters and can rack up damage and get a free grab. I'm calling it the Hammock Slide for now, but yeah, its pretty crazy. I'm sure one of you guys have done it though.
lololololololol you silly *******. you silly conceited *******. we've know that since day mother ****ing ONE. naming it after yourself? wtf man? so ****ing full of yourself!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

lololololoolololol

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Hi my name is Doc, Professional online player just got into the tourney scene and have been placing top 3, very consistent, I'm on the GTAN power ranking for ontario.

I would like some critique / any tips that will help me on the ICS vs Game and watch matchup, hes a video. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtMleCP3gdw
Only watched the first video because I'm lazy ^.^

Lost your Nana way too easy in the beginning, you could have fastfalled in hopes of a belay to the ledge.

Nice infinite.

Seems like recovering is where you should work at. Squall is a better recovery in most cases and you could have used that in your last stock rather than Belay.

ICs Ditto if you come to York U.

Prawn

Smash Master
lololololololol you silly *******. you silly conceited *******. we've know that since day mother ****ing ONE. naming it after yourself? wtf man? so ****ing full of yourself!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

lololololoolololol
Oh my ****ing god you got so trolled haha

D

Deleted member

This might sound a bit silly, but, which aerial ends faster? and by how many frames? comparing it to the second fastest.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
I think there was a thread here in on the IC boards but it got moved back since no one posted in it and since the IC boards don't have like a second page, it's lost in the depths of space >.<

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I think there was a thread here in on the IC boards but it got moved back since no one posted in it and since the IC boards don't have like a second page, it's lost in the depths of space >.<
under the mountain of "how do chain grab, plz? kthnxbai" topics.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
There's so many ways Smoom. Watch his videos for anything that seperate the two. Usually it happens at those moments.

Prawn

Smash Master
I've been looking at Lain's ICs. How exactly does he desync? It looks like it just happens. o.o
I haven't focused on how he does it but maybe dashdance desync? That's the easiest/quickest for me at least.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Best Momentum cancel?

Also I played a Samus and it was tough. People who outcamp me in general. How do I get through projectile walls? With the 6 frame character delay my Nana just gets ****ed up and Ice Blocks don't help. Obviously that's the main anti IC strategy but I REALLY couldn't find a way around it.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
For momentum canceling, you should use u-air. D-air and b-air can also be used, but I'd really recommend u-air 95% of the time.

For Samus... Well, you could desynch Ice Blocks at her to force her to quit spamming momentarily. Then you have a chance to close in.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Doesn't Dair take FOREVER and thus make it useless? Alright I was curious between Bair, Nair and Uair.

Those missiles just come in so **** fast off of a good Samus. lol

Thank ya.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Samus' tracking missles are hard to hit with an Ice Block and it's easier if you just try to manuver around them with squall. Try to get your squalls to go over her Zair. If they don't...well..your back at the beggining getting hit by missles. Sometimes you can just run straight under the spam and hit with a Usmash if they aren't expecting that.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Are there any tricksies that the IC's have against Diddy?

It seems like the ability to control both his bananas can lead to some cool stuff, but I lack the proper creative talent and technical skill to do anything with it.

Also, tips on that matchup in general would be appreciated. I find that I have problems just dealing with the immense pressure that comes from glidetoss banana into grab or dash attack or dsmash which all separate the climbers and just **** in general.

Thanks.

Teh Future

Smash Master
when you dthrow from nana to popo, you need to hold down the grab button rather than just tapping it. This will result in nana putting up her shield for a split second. You can do the CG by just tapping the grab button, but will result in nana trying to grab nothing. This makes it extremely slow because you have to wait for nana's grab animation to end before you can throw the character again.

Basically- it allows you to CG faster. I guess if you are like frame perfect you can probably CG without nana shielding or grabbing, but theres really no point since nana will recover faster from the shiled than popo will recover from grabbing someone.

I hope that made sense : /

Top Bottom