• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
And slowly but surely, the Ice Climbers are looking to gain a greater percentage of the smash community using them.
Don't see why though. Ice Climbers is a gimmick character and some people can't work with gimmick characters like that. Some people are stubborn about being tier hos I guess. :V

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So can someone confirm this again. If no one knows about the fusion glitch, it's not banned and I should be able to use it for one tourney until get it's banned? D:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Don't see why though. Ice Climbers is a gimmick character and some people can't work with gimmick characters like that. Some people are stubborn about being tier hos I guess. :V
IC's aren't that gimmicky they are more high risk-reward/glass canon. It's not like the "gimmicks" don't work once people figure them out. They have a very solid game in their zoning and damage output disregarding the chaingrab.

Roller

Smash Legend
@ ICs vs snake: I had big problems with this mu for a long time. But it's actually one of my favorites now. It's not easy, but I now believe it is in our favor.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
So can someone confirm this again. If no one knows about the fusion glitch, it's not banned and I should be able to use it for one tourney until get it's banned? D:
9. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
Fusion Glitch indeed has something that unnaturally disrupts gameplay (Teleport glitch).

V3x (anti-namesearching) tried to abuse it until they banned it anyway.
IC's aren't that gimmicky they are more high risk-reward/glass canon. It's not like the "gimmicks" don't work once people figure them out. They have a very solid game in their zoning and damage output disregarding the chaingrab.
Yes, ICs are gimmicky as a character. The grab is a tool, desynchs are a tool, and when nana is killed, we drop to low tier. I think that's a gimmick character if I've ever heard of one. I consider low kill power outside of grabs and pretty predictable/punishable recovery in exchange for an infinite gimmicky.

I never said it was bad; plenty of gimmick characters in other games are amazing and played at top level (Latif's C.Viper in SSF4 jumps to mind.) Its just the fact people come through and play a character not because they actually want to learn it, but because of metagame fads/I wanna play a top tier cos I tier *****/Im trying to find someone to play after the MK ban.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Crap that sucks. I wish the fusion wasn't so glitchy, it would be awesome =/
But oh yeah, Finland doesn't follow Unity...

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Fusion Glitch indeed has something that unnaturally disrupts gameplay (Teleport glitch).

V3x (anti-namesearching) tried to abuse it until they banned it anyway.
You can't name search 3 letters on smashboards >_>.

Roller

Smash Legend
lmao@antinamesearch for a 3 character name. I'm not really sure why you'd want to avoid him seeing that anyway.. Wasn't defamatory or anything.

But yeah, Vex was the only one to really champion the fusion glitch as a legit strategy. I did consider him a top 5 ICs when he was maining them tho. So I mean.. Yeah. It can be used well. And most tourneys only have it soft banned. Like, it's unwritten in a lot of rulesets, so you should be able to use it at first, but if you start abusing it, it's entirely possible your local TO could ban it due primarily to the teleporting aspect. So I wouldn't focus your strategy around it. And if you don't focus around it, then you probably wont use it optimally, as it can be pretty tricky to use well. So it's just best not to bother with it imo.

Also, Aefice PM'd me asking about the snake mu and I wrote a pretty in depth response for him. It's pretty comprehensive and might be able to help other new ICs as well so I'm going to refine it a bit, add a little to it, then probably post it here.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The local TO won't be banning it as that happens to be me :awesome:
I guess I'll try to use it. They couldn't possibly ban a tactic they don't know about yet. I have one tourney to use it and see what happens.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
>_>

The only issue I run into is that some ******* that's also named Lux plays this stupid game called League of Legends, even worse it sounds like they are one of those really active traveling people and are just really bad at the game. I wish people would leave my Eugenides references alone so that I can have it all to myself. Context clues leads me to believe that Lux is a girl though, so I guess it's not all bad news. Imma have to charm her into a name change so that I can have my name back

-LzR-

Smash Hero
VS Diddy Kong what should I do when Diddy decides to rush in with naners? Does pivotgrab beat sideB?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Pivot grab doesn't beat side-b.

What the hell we've gone over this like 30 times.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It beats the beginning and end of it, not the middle since he arcs up.
^^ Was about to post this. Not sure why diddy would ever hit you with the beginning or end of it without throwing a banana at you first.

Roller

Smash Legend
A lot of them go for the end. Sometimes while recovering. Obviously if they are too high for them to even hit you with it you wont get them.. And being able to pivotgrab 2/3rds of a move makes it "pivotgrabbable" imo.

Plus I usually dash back and pivotgrab, not just stand there and do it. Allowing me to be closer to the end of the move when it gets to me.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
And I'm saying no good diddy will just side-b at you for no reason. Why would diddy EVER do that? If they are side-bing it's because they hit you with something or you are at a range where you can't grab it.

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
do any characters have strong planking games against ice climbers?

eg. pit? gaw?

whats the best way to deal with people planking against us?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

eg. pit? gaw?

Pikachu is the only character I've had trouble dealing damage to while planking.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux

eg. pit? gaw?

To answer your first question, it depends how you define "strong".

The best way to deal with people planking is to use desynced options to force them off the ledge. If you time blizzard and SH IB's at a certain spacing, an opponent can't hold the ledge for a lengthy period of time. At which point, they'll naturally get back on stage at some point or else they risk going over the LGL. Without LGL, I'd imagine us having trouble with A LOT of the cast and planking. Without it, it doesn't matter how strong their planking game is by in large because your goal is just to make them eat damage. If they make a mistake (which the projectile pressure causes occasionally), you could end up getting a dtilt or a smash. If those mistakes don't come, you're in trouble without the LGL because that clock is going to wind down.

If you're in desperation mode and need to pull out a miracle with the clock winding down N SH IB > P Run Off Back Air > Stage Spike > (optional P footstool) works, but that's about all we got. If you miss that, you are probably going to be losing your stock because they can just tap nana away since you desynced and you are now dead.

Roller

Smash Legend
Other characters such as :gw: and as Hylian pointed out, :pika: have very strong planking games as well. Will vs Rich B at WHOBO is a perfect example of what can still happen if there is no lgl for non mk characters.

Top Bottom