• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Does that work? I heard people can Jump break or DI the grab release to escape it.

Also, is it possible to DI out of a squall? I did the dthrow into fair CG today and ended with a squall. I got 70% or so out of it in a matter of seconds. This was on training mode, so my opponent didn't DI or anything, but I'm curious if you can escape most of the damage from the squall (like DI'ing from a mach tornado)
the release grabs work. they can only jump break if their feet aren't touching the ground when you grab them. they can also only jump break if you're not hitting them with a grab attack. so basically, just keep pummeling them and walk out for the regrab.

as far as DIing out of a squall goes, it really depends on if you catch them in the middle of it. you can use squall in CGs by holding forward during the grab so nana is moving forward while popo is holding them. you shouldn't throw them but nana should be out in front of popo. now just do a squall and they'll end up directly behind popo. i don't think they can DI at early %s, but it's probably easier and safer to just stick to alt grabs :dizzy:

Which would you consider cheaper/broken...er?

Alternating Throws
Wobbling
both are considered "cheap", but you're the Ice Climbers. we thrive on being "cheap" :bee:
i would say wobbling is broken, though, because it's alot easier to do.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Wobbling's cheaper, doesn't take the amount of skill you need to do it, on the other hand for their infinites, it takes a huge amount of skill and timing, and they're chaingrabs. ;)

And Squall's DI'd, easily.

lordterken

Smash Cadet
What is ice climbers best stage because i have a friend that plays wolf good.So i need help what stage to play on

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I do pretty good at Smashville too, not to mention you can play midgames by going under the stage. =O

K 2

Smash Lord
i love going under final destination =P
I swear, that's impossible. No matter what I do, I can barely get any height at all. My record is probably 1 ganondork tall. I saw that one video of some crazy climbers going under FD, but I still can't believe it...that's effing insane.

Did the IC's have alt throws in Melee?

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Not really.

In Melee, you had less control of Nana so when she grabbed an opponent, even in your range of sync, she will do her own little throws without having you even move your analog.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I do alt throws in Melee!

The direction Nana throws in Melee is usually random, but if you're near an edge, she will automatically throw towards the edge, so you can do things like P dthrow -> N fthrow. Even if you're not near an edge, you can still regrab after N dthrow, fthrow, and sometimes bthrow, and you can combo out of N uthrow and bthrow. It's still usually better to do normal CGs, but on characters like Fox who can get out of conventional CGs pretty easily, alt throws are actually pretty good.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I don't know. I find that her throws are too hard to anticipate to be considered reliable under most circumstances. I'd rather smash out of a throw than to have her grab the opponent and gamble where she would throw the opponent.

smaci92

Smash Lord
I swear, that's impossible. No matter what I do, I can barely get any height at all. My record is probably 1 ganondork tall. I saw that one video of some crazy climbers going under FD, but I still can't believe it...that's effing insane.
ya it's pretty hard to do...but me and chibi can get it about 70% of the time :bee: lol

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I did it once after seeing the video without trying... After that, I have been trying so hard to do it again but have failed at doing so... Anyone have any tips on how far your second jump is approximatly supposed to go before you start squalling? I know one is until you reach the bottom death zone but I know there is another one that you can choose without having to mash the B button for squall to death...

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
When we were playing, your friend was watching me do that? :laugh:
I barely get that one though, and FD is like.. in human.:urg:
yeah. thats why i also let you cg me. he never gets to see an IC cg because i don't do them. i think he's afraid of them now more than ever....

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
I do alt throws in Melee!

The direction Nana throws in Melee is usually random, but if you're near an edge, she will automatically throw towards the edge, so you can do things like P dthrow -> N fthrow. Even if you're not near an edge, you can still regrab after N dthrow, fthrow, and sometimes bthrow, and you can combo out of N uthrow and bthrow. It's still usually better to do normal CGs, but on characters like Fox who can get out of conventional CGs pretty easily, alt throws are actually pretty good.
I think I've seen a video where the ICs did an alt/chaingrab-like in Melee, but she's so random... she could suddenly do a pummeling attack instead of throwing so the timing can get off.. >.>;;

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Hm. I really need to include nair into my game. How should I go by doing so? Whats the advantages to using nair more often?
Is it as good as a blizzard/squall/ice block approach?

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Hm. I really need to include nair into my game. How should I go by doing so? Whats the advantages to using nair more often?
Is it as good as a blizzard/squall/ice block approach?
Nair is fast, but it's range is terrible. I would stick to approaching with blizzards and squalls and bairs (oh my!).
The only time I can think of using nair is to push them off you. Like a "get off me" type of thing.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Nair's really good! Its range is actually pretty decent. For example, if a Marth is spacing sh double fairs into your shield, a lot of the time you can sh nair oos after the first one and hit him before the second one comes out.

It's good in a lot of situations in which you would want to use blizzard, but don't want to risk getting ***** if your enemy dodges it.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Has anyone else seen the glitch where nana and another character grab the same ledge? This happened to me and my friend about a week ago and i recorded it but i didn't know if it has happened to anyone else.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
I don't play ice climbers anyways. I just thought it was weird and wondered if it has happened to anyone else. Thnx for the quick response tho.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Has anyone else seen the glitch where nana and another character grab the same ledge? This happened to me and my friend about a week ago and i recorded it but i didn't know if it has happened to anyone else.
A lot, I played this one ZSS player (not smaci ;D), and he used her tether and when I used my Belay, Nana grabbed onto the ledge and while ZSS's tether was on the ledge and Nana pulled Popo down to his death, NANA, YOU, ARE, BAD. BAD GIRL. This glitch happens the same when I fought Olimar. D:

BTW anyone know any glitchy Belay and Squall tricks?
I'm not sure if it is a glitch... and I'm pretty sure we know the glitchy Belay, when your opponent is blocking the edge, and no, not edgehogging, and you use Belay, Nana goes to the ledge and the tether looks like a circular-like tether such as when you're using a normal Belay, except that it's not to the edge though.
And for Squall... instead of Popo and Nana facing the opposite sides when using Squall, Popo and Nana face each other, and it makes weird bumping sounds/rhythm. Although this happens, the damage doesn't change, but the glitch reduces more height of the glitchy Squall.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
I was wondering if something was discovered. I'm sure it has been, but my use of the search function keeps showing irrelevant results, so I figured I would ask here. Now, I was practicing the IC's chain grabs today, and I decided to try ROB. I found that by doing an alternate fthrow grab, you move forward with the chain grab and can carry ROB over to the ledge, where you can perform the P:fthrow N:fair spike. In other words, you can grab him and then chain him to a death with no escape possibility (assuming the chaingrab is sucessful, of course).

I have not tested it on anyone else, but I'm sure it works on others as well. I assumed that pretty much all aspects of the chaingrab were discovered by now, but I haven't heard anything about a chain grab to death on ROB, and I figured that would affect the matchup... If this has been discovered, then why exactly is it that I have not heard anything about this in matchup discussions?

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Yeah, you can do that with anyone. Using an alt. F-throw chain usually has you regrabbing the target a little bit ahead of where the thrower was.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Can anybody explain to me the uses of desynching please? I fail to see the usefulness of it tbh. If the ICs are separated then the opponent can just pick you apart. The only time I fought an IC was just so somebody could 3 stock me with CGs so I dunno much about ICs.

Edit: I read a sticky about Desynching, but....I still don't understand lol. When I desynch I can't do anything with nana =[.

Edit2: 800 POST YEAHUZz

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Desynching forms a wall of attacks in front of you. B/c they are desynched, even if one climber get hits, the other should be starting/using a move, so that the opponent will receive damage anyways. They can also lead to grabs and many other things aswell. :)

Gratz on 800 btw. :D

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Desynching forms a wall of attacks in front of you. B/c they are desynched, even if one climber get hits, the other should be starting/using a move, so that the opponent will receive damage anyways. They can also lead to grabs and many other things aswell. :)

Gratz on 800 btw. :D
i call this body-guarding and its the main reason why i picked ICs back in melee.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I'd say between 90-120 or something.. <.<
It really depends on how close your opponent and you are to the top of screen. That with different %s gives mixed results. X__O

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
and thanks for posting in this thread before starting a new thread claiming that you discovered something :bee:
No problem. We get enough of that at the ROB boards.

Yeah, you can do that with anyone. Using an alt. F-throw chain usually has you regrabbing the target a little bit ahead of where the thrower was.
But doesn't that mean from any point, you can chain someone across the stage, leading to a nana dair spike-throw for the kill? Why does that not factor in to anyones matchups with the ice climbers? I mean, I understand their chains are pretty hard to do, but I figured that some IC mains would have them down to a near perfection...

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
But doesn't that mean from any point, you can chain someone across the stage, leading to a nana fair spike-throw for the kill? Why does that not factor in to anyones matchups with the ice climbers? I mean, I understand their chains are pretty hard to do, but I figured that some IC mains would have them down to a near perfection...
Yes, but at low percents, if the IC isn't incredibly quick with the alt grabs, the opponent can break out pretty easily.

But yes, chances are if you get grabbed by a top notch IC, you're going to get owned. XD

Top Bottom