• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I have a question regarding finishers.

After CGing an opponent to a certain percent, there comes some situations where spacing allows one to choose between a dthrow to upsmash or a fthrow to upsmash.

After discussing this with THE Salt, we noticed that he fthrows and I dthrow to setup. I was wondering which one everyone thought was better.

Note: I like dthrow to upsmash because the animation is longer and allows me to charge my upsmash that much longer.
I do backthrow to usmash most of the time.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
You can use wifi for some MU experience. While ICs may be hell to play on wifi you can still learn a lot about what to consider against other characters. Besides, playing other human players will always be better than just CPUs imo.

Personally, whenever I do go climbers on wifi, I tend to not CG on wifi so I can really focus on what to do with my desync game and other stuff against certain characters.

Alright, that sounds pretty good. I was thinking about starting up ladder on AiB with the Climbers, but I wasn't sure what would benefit me more. My desynch game needs work, so I'll probably practice that on wifi as well as the MU experience. Thanks!

I do my practice as follows:

CG 0-death the following characters three times in a row: MK, Snake, Diddy, Lucario, DDD, and Falco in training. Vary grabbing out of dash/pivot to get down transitions from initial grab to CGing. Practice on platforms and moving platforms.

Practice desync techniques for about 10 minutes to get warmed up

Play 5-10 3 stock sets against random level 9 computers going only for grabs on the MLG stages. As in, I rarely use any moves but dash/pivot grab. This is just to work on CGing faster to prevent break outs.

Practice desyncs into grab setups (blizzard/IB chasers etc) and CG 0-death character list above in training. I usually turn on EVADE setting for this.

Go online and play people. Practice different grab tactics and how people react, but don't chain grab them after the initial grab. Just fsmash them and keep playing. Don't worry about winning or losing. Just keep in the back of your mind that a grab would have been a stock.

Practice the CG's again.

And then get my roommate to play me if he feels like getting owned for my benefit.

Done.

I actually do this.
Haha, wow. Do you do this every day? I was just playing random CPU's with my handicap set to 300% to practice not getting hit while still getting grabs off, and making sure I actually finished them off every grab I got. Yours sounds a lot more organized, I should try this out sometime, thanks!

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I usually run through it right after I get off work. It's like two hours of solid playing, although admittedly I'll sometimes skip out on the either the level 9 comp or evade mode training, but never both.

And the online stuff is crazy fun but gets hard to find opponents because nobody on allisbrawl or fauxfinder want to play an IC main.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Wow, I really should step up my training, although what I've been doing seems to be working pretty well for me. I usually go into practice mode and work on desynchs for a bit, then random a few characters and CG them 0-death a few times, then go into the normal game and face a level 3 CPU of a character, then a level 6, focusing on CG's for the level 3's because of how easy they are to grab, and working on desynchs and fighting without CG's as much on the level 6's.

I should change my main on AiB back to ROB to play ladder then, haha.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
How do you jump out of a dash dance desynch? It looks like Swordgard does it all the time. When I try to jump, both of them jump. :3

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
So my friend says he saw a video and the ics were switching off on grabbing the ledge to where it was like impossible to grab the ledge. Does anybody know what that's called and how to do it or have a link on how to do it? Thanks

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I had some weird glitch happen to me yesterday when I was playing against my friend's Metaknight, basically Nana went to grab the ledge like she normally would with up B, but the MK grabbed the ledge right before she got there, so it looked like she grabbed the ledge while Popo got launched up like normal, but she just started falling after Popo got to the stage and died. They were still tethered too, has this happened to anyone before? I have the replay saved if anyone wants me to put it up to see it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I had some weird glitch happen to me yesterday when I was playing against my friend's Metaknight, basically Nana went to grab the ledge like she normally would with up B, but the MK grabbed the ledge right before she got there, so it looked like she grabbed the ledge while Popo got launched up like normal, but she just started falling after Popo got to the stage and died. They were still tethered too, has this happened to anyone before? I have the replay saved if anyone wants me to put it up to see it.
Happens every now and then. Nana just goes into her ledge snapping animation and will stay there until popo is released from the teather. The character grabbing the edge gets more invincibility from grabbing it than her hitbox is out so she just gets edgehogged. You can save her again if you land on the stage fast and up-b right away on the ground.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So my friend says he saw a video and the ics were switching off on grabbing the ledge to where it was like impossible to grab the ledge. Does anybody know what that's called and how to do it or have a link on how to do it? Thanks
It's been talked about by some of the better IC mains I don't think we've ever said anything in public about it. There are several ways to do it. If only popo is on the edge and nana is above just press B and she will shoot and IB and fall off while popo does a get up attack and they switch places. To switch them again just shield and nana will roll on and you can hug the edge really quick. There are some other ways to do it but that's what I like doing.

Climbin

Smash Rookie
Regarding the Ice Climbers being like two characters in one, does Nana the pink climber have a fixed damage percentage before being able to get knocked out? If she manages to get knocked out, What are the draw backs the player will suffer besides not able to do a jump recovery to its maximum extent?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Regarding the Ice Climbers being like two characters in one, does Nana the pink climber have a fixed damage percentage before being able to get knocked out? If she manages to get knocked out, What are the draw backs the player will suffer besides not able to do a jump recovery to its maximum extent?
I think I'll take a stab at making a write up for this one. If anyone has anything to add or disagrees with me, by all means step in because a lot of this is going to be opinion based.

To get the first question out of the way, there is no set fixed damage percentage for Nana to get knocked out. She takes damage like any other player and hit knockback increases accordingly. That being said, for the most part her cpu is programmed to automatically return to Popo. Couple that fact with her limited recovery, she is fairly susceptible to being gimped at low percentages.

Now on to your more interesting question, in my opinion.

From a metagame stand point, you lose the following in Solo Popo (Sopo):

1. Recovery options - As you mentioned, Sopo suffers from severely limited recovery. Belay has little to no range and Nana is no longer present to serve as an attacking device. Squall hammer, at best, will only recover horizontal distance, which is much worse than the vertical distance one gets with a synced squall.

2. Damage Dealing Capabilities- Obviously, when Popo and Nana are attacking simultaneously, they do more damage. Two hits are better than one. Because it requires more hits to rack up damage, Sopo is also hampered by staling moves.

3. Desynced game - In contrast to above, rather than doing two players worth of damage at once, desyncs allows a player to use one ice climber to cover the moves of another ice climber, effectively reducing move lag time and punishing opportunities for opponents. While technically not desynced, a blizzard loses the rear cover Nana provides as well.

4. Infinite Chain Grabs and Hobbling - Much of the IC metagame is to punish opponents mistakes by taking a stock, a trait that really isn't rivaled to the same extent by any other character.

5. Nana Meat Shield Factor - Especially in projectile based opponents, having Nana around might reduce the registered percentage of damage a player takes, thereby giving an IC player an advantage to win a round when a percentage tiebreaker comes into effect.

6. Lack of finishers - Outside of a smash attack, Sopo really has no finishing moves. Bair/Uair will probably be too stale from racking up damage, and it's harder to get a full charged smash attack to land without Nana holding the opponent. Also, Popo's Fair does not meteor like Nana's. Bungie-Jumping as an edge guarding technique is now impossible, so the IC's lose the longest ledge hogging invincibility time in the game.

However, more important, are the mindgames that one loses when forced to only go Sopo. Outside of the previously mentioned metagame disadvantages, a Sopo suffers from the following:

1. Lost desync deception: A player's ability to confuse the opponent with activity is effectively cut in half. Especially if a player effectively uses Nana's smash charge dragging capabilities,

2. Loss of enemies tentativeness to approach - Let's face it. One of the huge advantages an IC player has is the fact that the game really slows down for us because opponents are so scared of making a mistake and losing their stock via punishing infinte chaingrab. When Nana dies, they can breathe a sigh of relief because our main punishing weapon is gone from the match. They can afford to make a small mistake because they won't lose their stock for it.

Remember Popo's prayer: Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for Nana is with me :laugh:

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Always get 1st port when playing against anyone that isn't snake, and this will never happen to you. It's a controller port thing.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
It's a priority thing, if they grab the ledge the same frame as Nana would, they get it if they're a lower port, if not, they get hogged by Nana.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
port 1 wins in the event of a tie between hitboxes. this is why you want port 4 v snake as his grenades will hit him instead of you in the case of you grabbing him on top of a grenade.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Do you have to be dysynched when doing the Chain grab combo?
I'll answer so forzen doesn't have to.

When you grab with either popo or nana, you are automatically desynced. So yes. As long as you have someone in your grab, you're desynced.

-hopes this wasn't a troll-

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
I'll answer so forzen doesn't have to.

When you grab with either popo or nana, you are automatically desynced. So yes. As long as you have someone in your grab, you're desynced.

-hopes this wasn't a troll-
No it wasn't trying to troll. I'm new to the Ice Climbers so I wanted to know about that and I've been trying to do the infinite grab and I suck at it so I thought i was doing something wrong so I thought that I wasn't de synched or something.

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
That's not very nice :(

Besides i don't plan on relying just on the Chain Grabs but I know that's the main attack so i figured it's best to learn it right away.

Shurely

Smash Cadet
I've been having trouble with buffered throws. can anyone explain them to me and how to preform them. can it only be done if one of them is a back throw? thanks

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
You wont make it to being a real Climber on CGs alone. Quit now and stick with Marth.
Why are people on this board so mean?

Fair enough if he didn't look hard enough for info, but no need to outright tell him how to play this game.

Top Bottom