• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Don't rely on your shield very much against Luigi, because his shield pressure against ICs is extremely good. Bair and fair are generally really solid since they have similar range as his aerials and are disjointed. The occasional dash attack is good since it puts him in a bad position. Generally speaking, getting Luigi above you is really good.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
reiterating what miles said about blizzblocking. it's very good against characters who dont have projectiles to help them approach. it shouldnt be relied on, but it at least prevents luigi from easily wding in

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
em its not the greatest idea imo cuz u have to be right in their face?

spotdodging in ic's face is a bad idea, i think spotdodge in the ics matchup is a really bad idea in general

but if they do happen to spot dodge hahah go punish it however u want, imo dsmash or grab or more reliable cuz utilt hitbox is better for ppl who jump

voorhese

Smash Master
Why are these boards dead?
must be cuz i picked up climbers, and you guys have no way you can keep up. wasting time talking about something you cannot understand is a waste of your time, which is a waste of life, which is illogical. so it makes sense....but if i picked up pichu, the boards would still be active, a matter of fact more active >_<

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
:) that last match was won very convincingly too. loved it

^voorheese's post sounded like a reincarnation of ICG^

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
chu beat hbox?...

i played like such a noob in round 3 pools

what do you do when your tech skill suddenly disappears in the middle of a tournament?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I hate when I have no tech skill, especially against a Fox who knows that shine exists.

Chu vs Hbox is up on the VGBootCamp channel already, Kyu.

painlord k11

Smash Journeyman
man iceys is really hard to play im just not used to it since im just starting out, I'm still very much a marth/shiek main with some jiggz and fox haha. But I wont give up on ice climbers it'll just take some time but my iceys wont be ready for april tournament. I live in B.C./ British Columbia so I go to the tournaments in vancouver though i live in victoria. So ya i like know blunted objects, noob king, diakonos, dieslow, our pr people our scene is pretty good no good icey players though not really any shiek mains either only hardly very little marth. rusty shackleford our best iceys but hes not to terribly great.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
pain lord a lot of ic's players kinda stand alone in their regions, im probably like the only ic with fellow decent ic's in my region (PMirl and sidefx)

just gotta power thru all matchups and create ur own trixies!

PEEF!

Smash Hero
must be cuz i picked up climbers, and you guys have no way you can keep up. wasting time talking about something you cannot understand is a waste of your time, which is a waste of life, which is illogical. so it makes sense....but if i picked up pichu, the boards would still be active, a matter of fact more active >_<
You are spacie main right? Tell me you didn't throw away your ridiculous fox tech skill =[

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Hey Boback (SideFX) is good, he just does not care/try enough.

He is dumb technical with no application. Me and Zhu were smashing and somehow Zhu decided that Boback is the Afrothunder of ICs.

Lol.

Or maybe it was colbol, I dont remember.

Oh an in other news, I ****.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha boback is just very aggressive, hes not that dumb and still manages to get wins off sheer quantitative dbr experience. outplace him miles! :)

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Ice climbers never that techy. Fall too slow + can never ever overpower ppl with agression.
That is so wrong in every way possible, or maybe not every way since ICs cannot rely on a "one kind of offensive pressure boulding game" that other chars do.

No offense to you but desynching is probaly THE best tool to overwhelm a player in a fightinggame EVER(not counting hacks of games), but is in so much need of technical consistency and precise execution that many players just think it´s too hard.

Alternating bairs/dsmash on a shield for example when done correcly (you made that thread if I remember correcly) is unescapable, since the only option "out" is a roll or get hit, where the roll can easily be predicted since it can only be alternated with timing.

Both a dsmash hit and a roll can in theory lead to grabs which in itself is so extreemly good. And the second fastest/longest wavedash in the game gives alot of pressureoptions =)

PEEF!

Smash Hero
That is so wrong in every way possible, or maybe not every way since ICs cannot rely on a "one kind of offensive pressure boulding game" that other chars do.

No offense to you but desynching is probaly THE best tool to overwhelm a player in a fightinggame EVER(not counting hacks of games), but is in so much need of technical consistency and precise execution that many players just think it´s too hard.

Alternating bairs/dsmash on a shield for example when done correcly (you made that thread if I remember correcly) is unescapable, since the only option "out" is a roll or get hit, where the roll can easily be predicted since it can only be alternated with timing.

Both a dsmash hit and a roll can in theory lead to grabs which in itself is so extreemly good. And the second fastest/longest wavedash in the game gives alot of pressureoptions =)
No. This post is funny though. They fall too slow to put any real shield pressure on.

Ice Climber desyncs can only put on superficial pressure vs inexperienced players. What are you talking about anyway? Blizzarding a shield?

Desynced bairs? Get out of here. Nobody has ever done that and made it work. It is so impossibly hard that you might as well point out the fact that Fox can break any shield with infinite doubleshines. It is not even worth talking about.

A dsmash hit and a roll? Who would roll when they get dsmashed? Every single relevant character can counter dsmash directly out of shield.

Moral: ICs are not a shield pressure or pure agression character, this is pretty well known. I find it especially surprising that you claimed that when I was comparing them to Fox, who actually is a character that can be used at a top level with pure agression because Fox is so safe on shield always.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Ok then we have a different oppinion :)

Desynching a D/Fsmash in the right position(opponent at edge for example) , combined with for example waveshield(against a opponent who is shielding since that´s what we are discussing) or pure just spacing with Popo you get ALOT of control over the situation.
It´similar to when fox shines behind someone.

You can BOTH bait AND do the aggresive option(waveshield) at close to the same time, releasing A to attack, and react to what they do (if getting hit, be very fast and grab them in the hitstun), if they shield the fsmash, just grab them (possibly in shieldstun, not sure about that though, desynching dsmash after grab might make this safer but I´ve not tested it), if they roll, wavesmash.

Just realised the exact same thing can be achieved with shinegrab, but that´s more limited and less safe and less room for error.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
it's too difficult for me to setup desynched shield pressure, and when i do, its usually just fsmashes. maybe i should change it up whenever it's popo's turn to do a move and i can turn around bair

another one of the moves i choose to shield pressure is their jab cancels. super fast

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
believe in us miles! if theres anyone who can do it, right now it's fly. i've been getting better lately, but i still have to beat wc falcos first.

Top Bottom