• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I have way to score low % kills against spacies.

If you are very close to the edge, like at your last handoff, just do the IC Dropzone. Dthrow dair like you were chaingrabbing, then just have popo dash off and bair. They will usually get hit with the forward hitbox hitting them away, but just like Falcons dropzone, sometimes they will get stagespiked lolll. Pretty much unpredictable as it gets, I have killed with it at like 30 because nobody knows what happened.

Then you recover =]

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I'm tired and I wanna post stuff

If you're looking for useless flashy grab combos, if Peach or Marth is at like 150%+, d-throw -> u-tilt -> cancel the u-tilt with belay. It works on other characters but works best on them and looks cool.

Dash back -> f-smash desynch is good and people should use it. I like to keep dash dancing with Popo and staying desynched with Nana if they don't approach. People always say continuous desynchs are scary but for some reason it seems to not work more often then not. Still cool and could be useful if you figure out how to bait with it properly.

Yesterday I was playing really aggressive in some of my matches against a Doc. Usually I conserve my wd f-smashes for when I know they'll hit, but in this match I was just mindlessly approaching with it whenever I saw the opportunity. I noticed he tended to start shielding it (although it's not extremely dangerous if you space f-smash on his shield), and I thought how useful it could be if people just shield when you wavedash toward them. It's like a tomahawk with ICs.

Against fox I dash forward -> shield -> b-air a lot and do other things with b-air to trick them since it's kinda hard to punish. Then if you read an approach over the b-air dash toward them and sh u-air, it combos into stuff.

Ohh right

I was playing with d-tilt when people hit the ground (it pseudo-combos into jab and catches them off guard and stuff) and I noticed something cool. D-throw f-air and let them hit the ground, dash forward and d-tilt (or d-smash I guess) you can do that and have Nana d-smash in place where you did the d-throw. If you do it right I feel like you can cover two teching options at once.

Another similar grab combo you can do is d-throw u-smash a fastfaller at low %, then f-air spike with Popo if they don't di (if they do then just dash attack) and do something cool with Nana. You can charge a smash as you leave the ground and have it hit as you spike.

Binx

Smash Master
yeah I'll give that a shot as well, sounds like a pretty awesome way to get a low percent kill. Does it work on falcon? I'll test it out next chance I get and let you guys know.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Kyu, I can't cancel my utilt with a belay ever.

I'll do it all right, and instead of sending nana up and knocking them outa here, Popo just throws his sh*tty snowball and nana just finishes hitting em with her hammer.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I'm not really sure how to describe the timing; you can't do it too early but you have to do it before the final hit of Nana's hammer. There's too much hitstun for it to work then, and I think that' s when Popo will flub up+b and Nana will just finish u-tilt.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I cant figure out why it works only sometimes.

I was practicing this and I just somehow did it where nana flew up invincibly and popo just stood there lagless. Like a grounded nana-rocket.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Start the u-tilt as late as possible so that it still catches them out of the d-throw, then up+b as fast as possible after that (try mashing it right after you input u-tilt maybe?)

Edit -- What version of the game do you have? Do multi-hit moves like u-tilt have a lot of hitlag with each hit, or do they happen pretty much instantly? I think the former would mess it up because you can't cancel the up+b during hitlag.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
im VERY interested in this...can you post a vid?
Its easy to try yourself. Training mode, FD, Ganondorf. Set him at like 70 or something, because unless you get it your first try you will start to degrade your moves and it wont kill at 59.

Charge the Usmash like...halfway, then uthrow, and if you do it right, the uthrow hammer will hit, then the usmash will hit. mega damage.

Oh, and PEEF B&J team will be taking CEO by storm with our double (or quadruple?) IC squad. Does anyone have tips for a double IC team?

Binx

Smash Master
for double IC dont get hit and dont go off the edge.

Double IC is really awful cause they need to much space to be effective.

Also recovery and gimps are bad, at least wobbling is alowed in teams if you both get a grab at the same time.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I second the notion that double ICs is an atrocious team. PB&J has a Fox and Fox/ICs is a very good team, so do that instead.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Fox blinkers people, you smash them (on knockdown, or while they're stunned -- some communication required).

You grab people, Fox blinkers opponent to distract them.

You spend a year recovering, Fox blinkers people to distract them.

Fox spends a year recovering, you freeze him so he can light himself on fire again.

You do a quick gay throw combo, Fox adds U-smash to the combo and somehow it's better.

Fox does a quick gay throw combo, you add D-smash/Uair/Bair and somehow it's better.

Lasers + wobbling in 2v1 is beautiful.

Fox is also very good at causing chaos and rushing in, which is not something Ice Climbers are very good at when staring down a Sheik and a Peach on the other end of the stage. Or a Peach and a Fox. Or whatever.

Fox can play very fluidly with platforms, so your ground game doesn't bother him as much on cramped stages as it would another character that depends on being on the ground most of the time. Like Marth or another ICs or something.

Lots of reasons.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I know whats missing.

Popo blinkers.

Yeah, for all the things ICs lose in teams, at least they get to recover (more).

MacD

Banned via Administration
sorry, i'd **** teams with you if you were in socal, peach sheik is pretty good, dsmash combo's all day

though i've let to **** with lovage, me and him are saving that for a special occasion i guess

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
But MacD I could u-throw people onto platforms into your d-smash :)

We could even have a corny joke for it. Like Reverse Jamba Blender Combo or something :bee:

MacD

me and connor won 2 weeks ago, and i think the tourney before that i lost cause i teamed with zhu

this last week me and connor idk, just messed up but not like i could have gotten first with connor against mango/cameron cause he'd get all pissed about cameron camping so we'd lose

ummmm so yea, i'm trying but it's hard when my only choices are fly/connor/sucky zhu when there are teams of mango/blank, lovage/s2j, zhu hugs?

i do approve of that combo... though idk about the name

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
i do approve of that combo... though idk about the name
It's because when you put things into a blender, it's normally going down into the blender. We're turning that concept on its head :bee:

Yeah, it's a terrible name.

I just want to be accepted. :(

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
mccain i really enjoy you and connor teaming, keep it up i think u guys can take 1st more often

when connor is confident he just gets off so hard

and u are always confident so u got this

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think that Fly's biggest problem, aside from tech skill, controller, patience, and needing to rediscover what originally made him fantabulous, is his lack of a war cry. Something he can enter battle with to show he means business.

Something like this.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The janky controller I used in 2007 is working again for some reason, so I don't think I'll be having a lot of tech skill issues anymore. My controllers are weird and occasionally start working again. I think I'll just bring three of them with me to tournaments, two of which sometimes work; I don't like the third one, but I could use it as a last resort in case the other two don't function properly.

I can't listen to the audio on KK's video now since I'm on a computer without sound, but it would be awesome to have a war cry. Unfortunately, I'm essentially incapable of making loud noises.

MacD

sounds like a job for me :D

and andre, i just wish so cal would team around a little more, it's alllllllways lovage and johnny now cause they only go to tournies together, and they'll always team, mango and either dunskies or cameron, ends up being hugs and lucky if they go, so i'm left with fly connor and zhu, so if i team with zhu, connor and fly will probably team, if i team with connor, zhu and fly would team, etc, but this is assuming everyone is going etc

anyway... idk what the point of all that was, oh yea, too many set teams in so cal at every tourney makes me all :(

oh i need to team with kira again, we tap

oh yea and also connor is being all butt hurt and now won't enter singles because everyone plays too campy, and he'll only do teams with me, i mean whatever, but i don't like teaming with him cause of things like that

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Fox blinkers people, you smash them (on knockdown, or while they're stunned -- some communication required).

You grab people, Fox blinkers opponent to distract them.

You spend a year recovering, Fox blinkers people to distract them.

Fox spends a year recovering, you freeze him so he can light himself on fire again.

You do a quick gay throw combo, Fox adds U-smash to the combo and somehow it's better.

Fox does a quick gay throw combo, you add D-smash/Uair/Bair and somehow it's better.

Lasers + wobbling in 2v1 is beautiful.

Fox is also very good at causing chaos and rushing in, which is not something Ice Climbers are very good at when staring down a Sheik and a Peach on the other end of the stage. Or a Peach and a Fox. Or whatever.

Fox can play very fluidly with platforms, so your ground game doesn't bother him as much on cramped stages as it would another character that depends on being on the ground most of the time. Like Marth or another ICs or something.

Lots of reasons.
This actually helped me a lot. :laugh:

I'm soo bad at teams.

I think ICs need someone who can be fast and aggressive and create openings for them, because in teams they can't do very much besides punish hard and live for a long time. I think every IC player has noticed that in teams, there's a certain situation where you're on the "outside", your teammate is attacking, and whenever one of your opponents gets hit past your teammate, you can poop on them.

Double ICs is like playing with two support characters, which isn't always terrible I guess, but the fact that you can't tell Nana from Nana just makes it confusing and not fun.

Top Bottom