• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Great, thanks.

Now I just have to balance my "coolness" (interesting chaingrabs) with "winning" (infinate) in order to be well liked by all.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If people mash, they aren't DIing, and you can dthrow -> dair -> regrab -> wobble, as the chaingrab sets Nana at a perfectly alternate rhythm. You're at wobble-beat synchronization after the first headbutt, and Nana's response time is offset enough that you can buffer the forward or dtilt without her registering the command, as she's still in the dair lag.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Ah I didn't consider the mashing=bad di. I use that for figuring what to do when dthrow>dairing, but goods hit applying it to setting up a wobble.

shehehe11

Smash Apprentice
ok i feel like an idiot

i still don't get how to get nana to do stuff while popo is jabbing in a grab

can anybody like write out specific button inputs for nana charging a smash or tilting during
popo's jab. from what i can understand, it seems like during popo's jab, you can input a move
for nana, but i dunno how to charge a smash (you have to hold it right? which doesn't let you
jab again)

please help a newb

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
1. Grab with Popo. Nana must be synched.
2. Headbutt with Popo by pressing A before Nana recovers from whiffing her grab.
3. Input a charged smash attack for Nana in the same way you would if you were just charging a smash attack with both climbers. Hold it until you want to release by letting go of the A button.

You can dthrow into a charged move with some timing. Just have Nana charge the smash, throw with Popo using the analog stick, then let go of A with timing.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I really need to repair my old controller. My tech skill is awful now and I think that's a big part of why I've been playing so badly lately. I'm really embarrassed by my recent tourney performances. :(

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
I really need to repair my old controller. My tech skill is awful now and I think that's a big part of why I've been playing so badly lately. I'm really embarrassed by my recent tourney performances. :(
Fly, you're still doing amazing things. The grab, f-smash, re-grab, f-smash kill you pulled on Alex19 or Lucky was just ridiculous. It was like a handoff except instead of throws, you're f-smashing. How did you do that?

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
What's wrong with your old controller? I did notice in your most recent vids that your movement seemed off.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Fly, you're still doing amazing things. The grab, f-smash, re-grab, f-smash kill you pulled on Alex19 or Lucky was just ridiculous. It was like a handoff except instead of throws, you're f-smashing. How did you do that?
Dthrow -> fsmash -> grab during the fsmash hitlag. It works on space animals when they don't DI away.

I can still do a lot of little things fine, but I have my standards and I have not been living up to them lately.

What's wrong with your old controller? I did notice in your most recent vids that your movement seemed off.
The analog stick takes too long to reset to the neutral position. Like, I can fastfall, let go of the analog stick, hit A, but dair instead of nair, or if I try to do repeated jab cancels, I do jab -> dtilt. Also, sometimes I can't drop through platforms.

At the last several tournaments I've attended, I've been using a controller that I ordered from a store in Norcal. I guess it's fine, but I make a lot more technical errors now. For whatever reason, my tech skill was particularly bad at the tourney I attended yesterday; I'm not entirely sure if that's entirely my controller's fault, but the controller certainly didn't help.

Even though the little mistakes here and there do take their toll in-game, I think the bigger problem is that they unnerve me. I tend to get upset when I feel like I'm not in total control of my character, and when I get upset I often play impatiently, make a lot of poor decisions, and don't adapt well. Plus, despite my efforts to fix this over the years, I'm terrible at regaining composure once I've lost it.

At this point, I'm actually hoping that the problems I'm having are solely due to the controller and not some more fundamental issue that's caused me to regress.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I would maybe take apart the controller and switch the main board (with the control stick and all the buttons) with one from a new controller. You can't really fix a control stick but new ones don't take long to break in. I had the same problem a while ago, but I couldn't play without my l-button, so I did that and now my controller is perfect.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I'll consider that.

The controller I used before the one with the control stick issues worked very well except for the L-trigger. I know very little about the anatomy of a Gamecube controller (I think I'll go look up more about that right after this post), but I'm guessing that it's possible to replace the L-trigger of the older controller with that of the more recent wonky controller, in which case the end product should work fine. I think I'll do that, unless for whatever reason it's not possible.

PB&J

Smash Hero
man i feel u on this one..i want to just throw my controller away but its the only one i got..i wish there was like an repair shop for controllers like they do for cars..controllers are like your sword you need for battle and i feel like im fighting now with a stick

Smasher89

Smash Lord
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1e-70-1fe.html

You´ll need another screwdriver once getting "in" the GCcontroller though, and yes, you can replace an old Lbutton with the one you have that is broken =)

Kinda also have some random ups and downs with my techskills, thinking learning to wobble would make me more stable performance, too bad I learned the wrong timing :/

Going to APEX, I´m currently thinking about what to counterpick against CF, usually here I had like corneria or Onett, but that obviously wont work there(and now onett is banned, so people just bans corneria, but still being able to CP RC, KJ64, MC or brinstar depending on my ban)...

I would probably ban FD (is the rule like you can choose it anyway unless the opponent bans it also?)

PEEF!

Smash Hero
You cannot choose the stage that you ban.

I'm terrible with counterpicking with ICs and would love a guide.

I played terribly yesterday. There are 3 techniques I need to perfect that I mess up WAY too much. WD>AC bair. IDK why but i mess that up so much. I either fullhop or just fsmash in that direction. DD>Blizzard. WTF this is so easy but I always just dash in the wrong direction or something dumb. invincible ledgedash. I guess this comes with the tight timing window, but mess it up and you die. might not be worth it.

Also, one thing I'm noticing is the ICs play so differently against so many characters, that I have a really hard time remembering what to do. Back when I played Falco, 80% of the cast could be beat by laser laser laser bair bair bair. the rest could be beat by more lasers, more bairs, and the addition of spinny kicks and shines. Now that I'm dedicated to this character, it seems like I just choke and forget wtf im doing. There are so many weird, character specific ways to counter narrow strategies. Playing against Samus and Falcon for example could hardly be more different, but with Falco it was kinda just a slight adjustment of the same sh*t. In order to fix this problem, I am going to write myself up little documents on each and every character that detail important parts of the matchup, and keep it either on my phone or...in a booklet? I will need your guys help picking out only the most important info for each matchup. I might just condense every matchup to 10 simple bulletpoints to help me until I can have everything memorized. Maybe even someone else could benefit from such a condensing as well.

man i feel u on this one..i want to just throw my controller away but its the only one i got..i wish there was like an repair shop for controllers like they do for cars..controllers are like your sword you need for battle and i feel like im fighting now with a stick
Wow

PB&J be poor.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Going to APEX, I´m currently thinking about what to counterpick against CF, usually here I had like corneria or Onett, but that obviously wont work there(and now onett is banned, so people just bans corneria, but still being able to CP RC, KJ64, MC or brinstar depending on my ban)...

I would probably ban FD (is the rule like you can choose it anyway unless the opponent bans it also?)
Yes, you can CP the stage that you banned unless your opponent also banned it. I don't think any good Falcon would take you to FD, so you probably won't need to ban it, even if you dislike it against him. The stages that West Coast Falcon players take me to most often are Brinstar, RC, and Stadium; I think Falcon players on the East Coast like Kongo Jungle, too, so I recommend banning whichever of those four stages you're least comfortable with.

FoD is nice against Falcon since it somewhat limits his movement and the low platforms can protect you from stomps and knees to a certain extent. I like Battlefield against Falcon, although I can't say why other than that I tend to do well against him there.

Also, are you aware that Apex is using the Pound 4 stage list? If not, see this: http://cloti-aikou.net/apex/melee.html

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I was told you cant brew that starbucks.

If you're right though, I could mindgame so many ppl by banning FD and then them assuming that I won't go there, leaving it open for me to CP!

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The wording of the rule regarding stage bans is kind of ambiguous. I've always been under the impression that you may CP the stage you banned, but I'll see if I can find anything more concrete that supports or contradicts that.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Yea, it took ALOT of tournaments (probably 50+) until I first heard about it or saw it being used, has given me a few wins, and even better to abuse it to "ban" FD in brawl(which I´ve basicly even had people against me banning for the exact same reason, being able to CP it) XD.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I dont count biweeklies. With those id be at like 40.

Ive only been playing melee since Feb 2009.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Well, I ignored the bi, and went weeklies, which I have been to probably 30, add that to my 10 big tournaments, bing bang.

Not to mention, I spend every monday-thursday moving 86.6% the speed of light so that should solve any other time problems.

PB&J

Smash Hero
i have other controllers but they all suk and the one i use sucks too. i need to repair..thats all i was saying.

i honestly think yoshis is a great stage to counter pick any stage with icys.i just sapm up air through the platforms and read there second jumps and punish it when i can.up air goes through anything and icys can controll that stage very good using wavelands,etc

just my two cents

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Smasher, have you really been to 50+ tournaments? Mai gawd.

I've probably only been to like 20. Lawl.
haha yea(more like 60+ by now XD),

We don´t have bi/weeklies here(even though sometimes theres a "combo of tournaments" where theres tournaments every week for like 2-4 weeks XD).
One tournament per month or something more or less is how it generally is here, and alot of the tournaments is during the summer when people are getting holiday.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Dude, where is a vid of Fly doing the belay oos>nana edgehog and killing someone with it?

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I just wanted to show some1.

Zomg i want to see her actually ledgehog sum1. LOL like 3 of your 4 kills came from nana hitting someone into your move. But i want the actual ledgehog.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Umm, I think I used it like that a lot in early 2009, but that's not really the big strength of belay OoS. The main use of the belay OoS edgehog is to force the opponent on stage such that Popo can hit him offstage again or grab him.

Top Bottom