• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
Im pretty hyped to meet all the legit ice climbers players at apex in January. We gotta place super high this time.
Let's show 'em what ICs mains are made of

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
from what i saw you had alot of reliance on spotdodge desync, shield-grabbing and rolling alot. these are all habits you should work on replacing/mixing up. mix up oos options more and work on dash-dash desync and grab desync(this 1 is a bigun because if your opponent tries to punish a whiffed grab they can eat damage approaching). you seemed a little too comfortable on platforms and often get punished because of it, work on getting off platforms/resyncing with nana. also a couple times you tried to desync when nana was coming back to you and still desync'd and ended up accidentally shielding with nana desynced
IC's is a hard road so keep your chin up
vs marth when you missed wd oos towards into grab/dsmash it was because you lightshielded and it pushed you back

Binx

Smash Master
The biggest problems I saw is that you don't use enough aerials and you do really slow desynchs at unsafe ranges. Also you do a ton of wavedash downsmash which isn't really that hard to punish if they just wait for it every once in awhile, try mixing up your movement a little or do a wavedash utilt or wavedash into short hop uair instead every now and again to mix things up.

Also you missed quite a few dash dance grab opportunities.

My advice is to work on the basics and just use more of your moves. Pick a move and use it a ton during a match, do this once for each move until you get a good feel for when it is and isn't safe, then start mixing them up randomly and get decent with different spacings.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Ok, how do you do the icy hand off? It seems im not good with it.

:phone:
Practice against CPUs. It's weight dependent. Lighter characters require a faster regrab than heavier characters.

To boost self-morale I always found the easiest characters to hand off were like Pikachu, Peach, Marth. Those are just for me though. Good luck grabbing a Peach in a real match :glare:

My method of handoff(assuming you're near the edge, you'll learn the distance by experience) is I normally jc grab the initial grab with Popo. Then dthrow with Popo and as soon as that green "hit something" pops up is about when you want to press grab with Nana. If near the edge, Nana will fthrow which you'll want to walk a little distance forward with Popo just as she throws and regrab. Rinse, wash, repeat. If you're too close to the edge, you won't be able to nudge forward anymore with Popo to get the regrab from Nana's fthrow.

It gets tricky though but I've gotten to the point where playing enough characters you just know when to press grab with Nana to get the regrab. Don't get down on yourself if you can't handoff Falcon. He is to this day the hardest character to handoff for me.

There are way better ICs players than me, which I'm sure can give a more detailed approach but this is just what works best for me. Pikachu's regrab is so brokenly easy :awesome:

P.S. PB&J where are you located? NY area? I might be able to teach it to you in one smashfest or something local lol

PB&J

Smash Hero
thanks bro im going to practice it. Ive been in ny for the next month or so. im in deleware for the next week though. hit me up and we can play 302-983-5894

voorhese

Smash Master
So I think I may have posted this before, but I just remembered since I am maining the climbers now. The way I practice handoff's now is to for a computer to be on my team with the name select glitch. And they always go back to the edge of the stage for me =)

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I think it's better to practice against a standard CPU because it is important to understand the set-ups, how close Nana needs to be to the ledge, how to initiate or continue the hand-off when the ICs are desynced in different ways, etc...

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
So I think I may have posted this before, but I just remembered since I am maining the climbers now. The way I practice handoff's now is to for a computer to be on my team with the name select glitch. And they always go back to the edge of the stage for me =)
If this is true wouldn't you only be able to do Popo dthrow Nana fthrow before you're too close to the edge? I say lvl 1 CPUs is they way to go.

What's everyones hardest handoff? For me it's Falcon.

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
I think training mode is the best way to practice Hand offs. If you pick FD the CPU is already standing next to the edge when you enter the stage, and each time you want to try again you can just press "Reset" and the CPU will be at the same place each again.

I find Mario/Doc/Luigi and Samus to the hardest to hand off, btw, while Fox, Falco, and Peach are the easiest for me.

voorhese

Smash Master
If this is true wouldn't you only be able to do Popo dthrow Nana fthrow before you're too close to the edge? I say lvl 1 CPUs is they way to go.

What's everyones hardest handoff? For me it's Falcon.

No, there is plenty of room. If anything it teaches you to only move forward very little so u can extend it.

also mine is mewtwo...idk if it's even possible to keep doing on him, everytime we throw him we slide backwards.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Depending on where you are standing relative to Nana when either climber throws, you will either get pushed back or stay still. It's all pretty intricate but you could theoretically get used to it.

The push-back actually allows you to hand-off infinitely.

voorhese

Smash Master
So is it me barely edging forward on my handoff's that is making me slide? I need to go further in front of him?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
The main thing is that, like, after you grab him (without throwing) after a second or so you'll get pushed back slightly.

It's impossible to completely avoid the push-back, but you can kinda manipulate it once you get used to the spacing after repeated fthrows/dthrows. The only advice I can really give is to practice and get used to the minor spacing adjustments

Binx

Smash Master
Christmas time is the time of year where ICs are at their strongest, so have a happy holiday everyone and make sure to give someone the gift a mallet to the head.

With love,
Binx

Vanitas

Smash Ace
Say if you were to techchase someone who just landed on a platform and you were right below them...Is techchasing with an ice block lift effective? I know sometimes it pops the enemy for more combos but I can see it is rarely used. I saw wobbles do it on a icies gimmick kinda video once haha

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
It's unorthodox, but I like it. Lots of damage, with good follow-up opportunities because of the cancel, but it's pretty hard to do. I've done it a few times and it always makes me smile.

voorhese

Smash Master
Is it theoretically possible to infinite hand off characters other than mewtwo by grabbing someone in a normal hand-off position, have nana get a grab like normal-> pivot grab so you are facing the other way -> hold forward slightly so nana walks -> fthrow -> nana grab -> pivot grab them out of her bthrow -> rinse and repeat.

i think it would be possible as long as u can grab people out of backthrows, sorry if this is random and dumb, just popped into my head, and thought I would ask.

voorhese

Smash Master
What do u guys think of this for ideas if u end up on platforms.

dd desynch to blizzard (with u dashing at the edge of the platform), you push nana off with her blizzard out. (u can also fall off with her and cover above u with upair while she blizzards)

running shield drop -> ice blocks (times so they will be on the platform)

either of those seem decent?

or should I stick pretty much to shield dropping asap?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
It entirely depends on what your opponent is doing, with that said...

Dropping Nana off the platform with a blizzard is just asking for either of you to get hit if you're opponent is playing reactionary. The reason desync blizzard spacing works on the ground is because you can move Nana around, and Popo is right there next to her to protect her.

Doing blizzard in that situation limits Popo's options too much to cover such a laggy move, and an intelligent opponent will capitalize on it by either hitting you or getting in a favourable position almost every time.

Binx

Smash Master
Guys I want to rewrite every character and finish the rest of the cast, I would like volunteers to do match ups and I think we should all discuss format. I'll post more late when I've thought it through a little better, a lot of this info is still valid but I would like to update it at the very least visually and add links with good current matches to watch for tips and such.

PB&J

Smash Hero
I love icy's even more now. My movement is so much different now and I just feel like I know exactly know how to do some sick combos with just popo. It must be me playing alot of characters now or something.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
What do u guys think of this for ideas if u end up on platforms.

dd desynch to blizzard (with u dashing at the edge of the platform), you push nana off with her blizzard out. (u can also fall off with her and cover above u with upair while she blizzards)

running shield drop -> ice blocks (times so they will be on the platform)

either of those seem decent?

or should I stick pretty much to shield dropping asap?
****in voorhese

Top Bottom