• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Binx

Smash Master
idk how or why but i have tournament mode where i play about 10x better than normal i can turn off an on anytime it's why i'm the wild card in tournaments in arkansas

i don't have any advice really but relax and have fun lol

music helps me get in the mood
Yeah I do that too, I play so much better in tourneys, I think its because people are a lot more careful and don't rush me down as much which I have a harder time dealing with, also I make sure to kill people when they go off the edge, a lot of time in friendlies I try and do fun edgeguards that dont always work or go for extra hits which lets people recover.

Also for some reason in a tournament setting my tech chasing game goes up 10000% If I would just take the time to really master the chain grabs I could do really well, I'm pretty sure I would be able to top 2 or 3 in most events I enter.

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
When facing away from your opponent, you can approach by wave dashing toward him, attack with F-tilt, and follow up with a desynch blizzard.
What do you guys think about this? The blizzard comes out somewhat fast, so I don't think it's punishable if you hit your opponent or his shield with the f-tilt. I have yet to try it against other players, so I'm not sure at all, however. Do any of you use this frequently?

Also, anyone who knows some music with the wobble (200 BPM) tempo? My best bet so far is "Flash" by Queen with a tempo of around 205 BPM which works for me (I think of this song every time I wobble, haha), but I'd like to know if any of you have something better? Well, better tempo at least. Queen is awesome.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
When facing away from your opponent, you can approach by wave dashing toward him, attack with F-tilt, and follow up with a desynch blizzard.
What do you guys think about this? The blizzard comes out somewhat fast, so I don't think it's punishable if you hit your opponent or his shield with the f-tilt. I have yet to try it against other players, so I'm not sure at all, however. Do any of you use this frequently?

Also, anyone who knows some music with the wobble (200 BPM) tempo? My best bet so far is "Flash" by Queen with a tempo of around 205 BPM which works for me (I think of this song every time I wobble, haha), but I'd like to know if any of you have something better? Well, better tempo at least. Queen is awesome.
The first thing is just ftilt desync and weve known about it forever, its...okay, wobbles puts it to use sometimes.

Its 100BPM (unless youre doing a weird time signature) and hey mama, the potion, and LAX are all 100BPM. I have a whole playlist of them. YOull find out its not a good way of doing it because you have to wait for a beat.

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
No, it isn't new - did I say it was? :p It's even mentioned in the desynching guide.
I was just curious. It doesn't seem to be used very often. Perhaps there is a better alternative?

And I'm pretty sure it's 200 BPM. 100 BPM is quite slow.
I don't wait before wobbling, btw. That would be too risky. I think of the song while I wobble so I don't screw.

john!

Smash Hero
grab your opponent
desynch

ahhhhhhhh ah ahhhhhhhh
oooo
youuu can dance
youuu can jive
having the time of your life
see that girrrrl
watch that scene
diggin the dancing queeeeeen
young and sweet
only seventeen
dancing queen
feel the beat
from the tambourine
oh yeaaaaah
youuuuuu can dance
youuuuuuu can jive
having the time of your life
see that girrrrrrl
watch that scene
diggin the dancing queeeeeen

then dispose of your opponent

this is my "how to play ice climbers" guide in case you were wondering

PEEF!

Smash Hero
No, it isn't new - did I say it was? :p It's even mentioned in the desynching guide.
I was just curious. It doesn't seem to be used very often. Perhaps there is a better alternative?

And I'm pretty sure it's 200 BPM. 100 BPM is quite slow.
I don't wait before wobbling, btw. That would be too risky. I think of the song while I wobble so I don't screw.
Its 100 trust me unless youre in 2/4 time. I'm good at wobbling =D

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Might found, or really just started trying to use something really old against Falcon when practising techskills that possibly can be effective. I think it should be a frame data advantage in every situation too so might be useful.
:

Throw/smash falcon out of stage, follow up with fairspike(best is if timing it so Nana gets it), if popo misses and gets up-b,d nanas fairspike will save popo and spike Falcon, if falcon meteorcancels that with an up-b, you might be able to get a nair out (needs testing) to kill him, then just forward b up to stage!

Binx

Smash Master
Wobbles, very nice play in crews, I was really impressed with some of the ways you landed grabs, its crazy to watch you play. I need to sit an practice my cgs so I can be cool like you. Also I dunno how often Fly comes here but I will definitely start working in those alternating wavedash blizzard blocks vs characters without projectiles, I feel like it would be really good vs Ganon and puff too, so thank you for showing that to me, its awesome.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Yeah, it's really good against Ganon and situationally good against Puff. I don't like staying desynched against Puff too long since if she does get in, she should be able to rest at least one IC, but an occasional blizzard or ice block here and there can work well.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I 3-stocked Mexican twice in pools at G2 and I have almost zero matchup experience. I would say the matchup favors them.

By probably a lot.

Binx

Smash Master
Wobbles you wanna do a small write up for the match up guide? doesnt have to be detailed at all, just for completion now that its fresh.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
shoutouts to 3-stocking mexican in tournament lol. i've done it too

you just play the matchup just like other matchups vs characters w/ no projectiles. you can blizzard them and it creates a wall, and if you just wd in and out, dk can't beat you on the ground. mexican likes to full hop bair and charge giant punch, just block those and get under him when he tries to full jump.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Vts bested me in dittoes in tourney but I think we are pretty even at it. I really learned it to alot deeper extent at mist, but I sill lack a complete gameplan.

:phone:

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
ICs vs. DK is pretty easy. I find it kind of dull, but that's probably because I just camp him a lot and there isn't much he can do about that aside from some situational nonsense like giant punch through blizzard.

edit: Actually, I don't camp all that hard. I do like to apply some tiny bit of pressure so he can't just charge a punch with no worries, but it's still easy to do this without exposing yourself too much.

Binx

Smash Master
I'm gonna smash with a pretty technical fox today and I always have a bunch of trouble with rush down type play with aggressive shining, any openings or defensive measures you guys can suggest?

I feel like I get trapped in my shield too often, I try to wavedash out of shield to be nicked by shines and then continually pressured.

Has anyone tried to di the shine away to get more space and fair? I wonder how that works vs careful players.

edit ---

As a side note I really want to clean up the match up guide, if anyone has any formatting ideas or any changes in metagame in certain match ups let me know, I want to add a version briefing that lists changes and when they occured from now on. I want to post video links perhaps embedded for each match up of the most current dominating ic play when things go right. Maybe a video where they get wrecked with analysis on what you should avoid doing for the what not to do sections. Also pictures of good zones to be in like wobbles posted about falcon a while back. VS spacing characters like jiggs I think I want to do a move by move of good options with multiple snap shots, an animated gif of her spacing a bair on our shield from a short hop and DIing away and our possible followups, perhaps also in gif form.

I think if we did the guide in this way we could raise the average level of every IC main to a much greater skill than the average of other characters. Its a lot of work, and will take a lot of time, but if people are willing to help I would be happy to work hard on it for the next month or so and continue to work on it at a less frenzied pace once school starts again. Also just for completions sake I would like to get the rest of the characters finished, even if they aren't particularly common or threatening.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Vs fox I've found that if I can get his rhythm anything works. Fsmash, nair, fair...but if I don't know how there coming in or what with or when, I get absolutely demolished and nothing works.

I do favor fading and advancing fairs, as fox rarely hits before they come out and they can be followed up with any move quickly to punish their punish timing with ftilt, fsmash or another fair for example.

:phone:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
catching fox's rhythm is exactly right. i got eggz running into random utilts a lot. fox has a clear advantage i think, but the fact that the matchup is dynamic (meaning there are counters to every tactic so both players have to keep changing it up) makes it so that ic's can punish very hard whenever he runs into something

gotta keep changing things up and adapting to what he's doing. if he's platform camping, gotta poke him from underneath and uair. if he's running up and shining or drill shining, gotta stuff his momentum with light shielding, or challenging him with a disjointed attack such as ftilt/fair/jab/utilt/fsmash or something.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I don't think powershield -> grab has any advantage over normal shield -> grab.

Something I noticed a long time ago that nobody really looked into: IC's grab seems to outrange shine (at least Falco's shine, not sure about Fox's). So it might be possible to shieldgrab spacies' late aerials if we got really consistent with shield DI.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I sometimes shield-grab Falcos when they shine during dair-shine shield pressure. It's funny and it definitely works, but it's tricky to judge when you're at the right distance.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i like to just throw it out and pray. but maybe i should be a little more careful! hahaha

next on my agenda: pay attention to shield pressure spacing and grab when i'm supposed to

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
I don't think powershield -> grab has any advantage over normal shield -> grab.
Yeah it does. PS'ing gives a slight frame advantage over regular shielding, although not much.

Sometimes if I attempt to grab Falco/Fox out of a blocked Dair/Nair is that I'll try to grab too early and still be stuck in shield stun so then Nana will grab. I think it actually sometimes may be the only way to grab them depending on how close they are to the ground, else they would escape it. Anyone know this to be sure?

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Yeah it does. PS'ing gives a slight frame advantage over regular shielding, although not much.
I remember Magus saying that powershielding creates the same amount of hitlag/shieldstun as a regular shield, and that the advantage comes from being able to do anything out of shield afterwards. So something like powershield -> jab is much faster than powershield -> drop shield -> jab; you can already grab out of shield, though, so powershield -> grab is redundant.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
So powershield jab or powershield f-tilt would be the fastest options? Could be kinda cool to just swat Falcos away lol.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I remember Magus saying that powershielding creates the same amount of hitlag/shieldstun as a regular shield, and that the advantage comes from being able to do anything out of shield afterwards. So something like powershield -> jab is much faster than powershield -> drop shield -> jab; you can already grab out of shield, though, so powershield -> grab is redundant.
yes, powershield skips the minimum 15 frame shield drop animation (varies by character)

Top Bottom