• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Xyzz

Smash Champion
My buddy and I decided that some time this week we're going to sit down and watch a popular series that neither one of us has seen. He hasn't gotten his list up yet, but I just finished mine an this is what I got:

Popular animation of Japanese origin that I have yet to view:

- Code Geass
- K-On
- Gurren Lagaan
- Rozen Maiden
- Fate/Stay Knight
- Clannad
- A Certain Magical Index/Railgun (difference?)
- Everything related to Haruhi Suzusomething
- Steins;Gate
- Claymore
- Free
- Everything related to Ghost In the Shell except for GitS SAC 2nd Gig
- Ouran Host Club
- Pyscho-Pass
- Samurai Champloo
- Literally everything related to Tenchi Muyo
- Future Diary
- Akame Ga Kill
- My Little Sister Can’t Be This Cute

As previously stated, this is a list of well received/widely known/talked about/influential anime in the past ten years or so that I haven't gotten around to watching. Before my friend and I settle on an anime to watch can anyone gives me some recommendations from this list or at least the general gist of what I'll be getting into?
Code Geass: I'd agree with the show being somewhat similar to Death Note... just better. And that is not only due to giant robots.

K-On: I'd actually say that K-On has actually a pretty decent amount of story for slice-of-life moe stuff. Well, if you like those, I would usually recommend going straight ahead, since the genre doesn't have many better offerings... except for Clannad also being on your list, and that would be one of the slice-of-life shows I'd recommend over K-On.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: If ridiculously over the top mecha action sounds entertaining to you (trust me, it is), this is what you're looking for.

Rozen Maiden: watched the first season, dropped somewhere through the second one. I didn't dislike it, but it didn't really manage to really get my attention either.

Fate/stay night: hah, your spelling is just what the Japanese and their ridiculous way to express English deserve :D I'd guess you're thinking about starting to watch anything of the fate-universe for the first time here, right? First of all, there is no anime adaption of the saber-arc (the first arc of the original VN), and if there were, it wouldn't be by studio deen. And if there were, it'd be so horrible that nobody would recommend watching that. At least that's what I hear.
So, I guess that leaves two options: a) start with the prequel Fate/Zero, or b) watch the currently airing adaption of the second arc by UFO table. Both work perfectly fine, and don't require prior knowledge. Personally I prefer Fate/Zero, but I guess I'm a huge Gen Urobuchi (the author of that one) fanboy, so take that with a grain of salt.

Clannad: Amazing piece of slice of life. Has is all... great characters, great comedy, nice atmosphere, and then throws a great story line and some amazing drama in the second season on top of that.

A certain magical index/railgun: Index is the original story, railgun being a spinoff focussing on the most popular character of the franchise. I thought the first index season was decent enough, but the second one dropped off so harshly, that I didn't manage to finish that one... I highly preferred the spin-off ;)

Haruhi: another really good slice-of-life'ish anime. Basically could repeat what I've written about Clannad :D

Steins;gate: Great comedy, and an amazing story line which really picks up after a few episodes. So I'd recommend trying to stick with it, even if the first episodes don't seem to overwhelming... My personal favorite from your list ;)

Claymore: Didn't watch at all. Apparently it's about demons and swords (at least it's the first thing to pop up when you look for sth like "anime sword demon" on google :D)

Free: Didn't watch more than a few episodes. Sports anime isn't for me.

GITS: didn't watch much, didn't like it. Blame my horrible taste :D

Ouran Host club / Tenci Muyo / Future diary: didn't even hear of those

Psycho Pass: more Gen Urobuchi goodness. Dark, dystopian, philosophical sound good to you? Watch it!

Samurai Champloo: Came for Nujabes music, stayed for a fun story (:

Akame Ga Kill: somewhat dark. Sadly there's also tons of stuff in that series that doesn't make any sense.

My Little sister can't be this cute: decent enough comedy, but I thought at some point the characters stop acting reasonable at all :x

Last edited:

Akumetsu

Smash Apprentice
Also: Ping Pong.~ 8<
At least it's one of the best newer anime I've seen lately. The story and char development is a bomb.
Don't judge it by it's graphics though.

finalark

SNORLAX
Ouran Host club / Tenci Muyo / Future diary: didn't even hear of those
Ouran Host Club never had a huge mainstream impact but I remember it being pretty popular around 2007ish. It didn't appeal to me so I didn't watch it.

Tenchi Muyo was pretty popular back in the day, as far as I know it's one of the oldest harem series along side Love Hina. Although I might be wrong, as I said I've never seen it so that's just word of mouth. Even though it came out twenty years ago or so its still getting spin offs, so that's something.

Future Diary is relatively recent and a lot of people have recommended it to me. You might know it by its Japanese name, Mirai Nikki.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. All of you are wonderful.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Ouran Host Club never had a huge mainstream impact but I remember it being pretty popular around 2007ish. It didn't appeal to me so I didn't watch it.

Tenchi Muyo was pretty popular back in the day, as far as I know it's one of the oldest harem series along side Love Hina. Although I might be wrong, as I said I've never seen it so that's just word of mouth. Even though it came out twenty years ago or so its still getting spin offs, so that's something.

Future Diary is relatively recent and a lot of people have recommended it to me. You might know it by its Japanese name, Mirai Nikki.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. All of you are wonderful.
Yeah, I've heard about Mirai Nikki, was thinking about watching it at some point. Looking at the synopsis of the other ones I am pretty sure, that I wouldn't enjoy watching either of them... but well, each to their own (:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Mirai Nikki is not good. Nor bad. To me it was annoying, I couldn't stand Yuno AT ALL. Then again, different people have different views on it, so, give it a shot.

btw, I heard anime's ending is lacking, and the manga had the equivalent of three extra minutes that fill it up and make it actually good.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I've read Mirai Nikki but not watched the anime. It's pretty good. The bad point is that the main couple can be cringy at times, but beside that the story is very interesting and ends in a very satisfying way.

If you like it then I recommend reading Wakusei no Samidare ("reading" because it'll probably never get an anime). Simple setting, excellent execution and very good characters.

Does anyone else read Boku no Hero Academia? I would like to hear somebody else's thoughts on it.
To me it's generic shonen done right : the setting "hero vs villain" is classic but done with a realistic environment and the quirks' functions and limitations are well explained (in a way that reminds me a little about nen users). The characters are promising and have room for development despite fitting their archetypes perfectly. And then you have the art that I love.

So in the end I find it very promising, but it's too early to declare it a masterpiece. I've seen to many good mangas go to **** to be hasty in my judgment.

Esidisi☆

Smash Rookie
Any JoJo's Bizarre Adventure fans here? If so, what are your favorite parts? My personal favorites are Battle Tendency and Diamond is Unbreakable.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've only read/watched what's come out in the US, and Battle Tendency > everything.

I'll be honest, though, despite being the most iconic and well known part of JJBA part 3 is pretty damn underwhelming IMO. I really hope the anime doesn't stop there and actually adapts part 4.

Esidisi☆

Smash Rookie
Hm... I'd say I like part 4 over 3 since the characters had a lot more to them, unlike part 3 whose characters felt kind of bland (lookin' at you, Kakyoin).

finalark

SNORLAX
I feel like Part 3 had a good set up, but fell into a monster-of-the-week formula that got stale really quickly. Not to mention the fact that, despite the fact that the whole conflict revolves around the Joestar family, the two JoJos in the series don't do a whole lot. If anything, it's really Polnareff's Bizarre Adventure.

And I'll second you on Kakyoin being a bland character.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Though I'm sure Alibaba isn't really gone for good, seeing Aladdin cry like that made me really sad. :crying:

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Has any one read "Goodbye, beloved Falco?"
Also, I love Cowboy Beebop.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Though god knows what will the future be for RWBY.

WHY IS NOBODY HERE TALKING ABOUT BLOOD BLOCKADE BATTLEFRONT?

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Hello guys have you guys heard of Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou or better known in english daily life with monster girls. it's an ecchi so it is 18+ >_>. they just recently came out with a anime trailer I'm not going to link it because of fear of getting banned but if you love harem comedies than I recommend this to you again I can not stress enough its 18+ so be warned.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Hello guys have you guys heard of Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou or better known in english daily life with monster girls. it's an ecchi so it is 18+ >_>. they just recently came out with a anime trailer I'm not going to link it because of fear of getting banned but if you love harem comedies than I recommend this to you again I can not stress enough its 18+ so be warned.
You can share it if you have a proper warning alongside of it. Also, not embedding, just the text/hypertext.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I've read it and it really is just generic harem with monster girls strapped on it. It's normal since it was made by the guy who made the short "my life with xx" series (which consisted of one page chapters) and those were really good.

There's another manga about monster girls (and boys) that's been out recently an is quite good, but I can't remember the name. Something about a cyclops girl being the infirmary in a high school or something.

soju

SD God
So can we talk about how dope my boy Gyro Zeppeli is!

Also what are some good recent animes? I finished Samurai Flamenco and had a blast

Last edited:

Wojo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wojo42
3DS FC
1092-0117-9940
Also: Ping Pong.~ 8<
At least it's one of the best newer anime I've seen lately. The story and char development is a bomb.
Don't judge it by it's graphics though.
Seriously, this anime is one of the most fantastic things I have witnessed in a while. To those interested, the story revolves around a small selection of ping-pong players and the ever shifting reasons why they play as the stakes go higher and higher. The concepts of playing for fun, pride, livelihood, success, and family are all put under the microscope alongside the ethics of how to relate to other players. While that analysis may sound lame, and the anime takes a while to get the ball rolling, it is punctuated with absolutely intense segments of animation. When they display a high-stakes game of ping-pong the animation shifts to the fifth gear. The anime itself is also filled with characters you immediately find relate-able, and that only makes the drama more intense.

My local smash scene has mandated any new player must watch this to be fully accepted into the group because of how much drive it can give someone into their passion. The characters' energy and drive for ping-pong leaks over to the audience flawlessly. If you ever need an inspiration boost, cue this baby up. It's also only eleven episodes, so you crank through this baby pretty quickly if need be.
~~~

Kids on the Slope is pretty similar, but less intense, about jazz instead of ping-pong, and with more focus on inter-personal relationships as opposed to the relationship between a person and their passion. It's by the guys who made Cowboy Bebop though, so you can expect quality work.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
And the english version just began to run, too, so even those who don't like subtitles can enjoy it (except for Wenge)

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
My heart goes out to those that have the misfortune of watching Ping Pong dubbed. Some stellar performances from the actors of Peco, Smile, Dragon, and Sakuma. Kong was in a league of his own.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I've been watching Michiko and Hatchin recently and I've really been enjoying it. It's not a perfect series and it has its ups and downs but I can appreciate a lot of what it is. It's like Cowboy Bebop except it's a story revolving around two women... one of them being a woman of color. Episode 10, I particularly enjoyed. It really clarified a lot of the history behind the crime syndicates and I have a much better understanding of the characters' motives and the overall direction the show is headed in now. I also love how similar Hatchin is to her father.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well, I finally got around to reading the first volume of Future Diary/Mirai Nikki depending on what you prefer.

I don't think this series is for me.

The manga came out in 2006, and from what I can tell it was pretty cult until the 10s when the anime came out. I'm really not surprised that this series was obscure until recently, since it hits every note a series needs to hit to be successful this decade.

An interesting premise? Check.

Self-insert protagonist with traits the assumed reader would have? Check.

A number of prominent female characters whose personality is little more than an archetype? Check.

A romantic arc that exists for the sake of wish fulfillment (in this case yandare)? Check.

I hear it's a pretty good thriller once you get into it, but there's a lot here I really don't care for. I might plow through to the end since it's pretty short at 59 chapters, but I don't know. It's like a less masterful Death Note with a number of cast members being less engaging versions of NGE's characters.

Akumetsu

Smash Apprentice
Thrillers -> Manhwas from Team Getname (Superior Day, Melo Holic, Hanged Doll)
Great pieces of work, main genre depends on what you read.
Also mind****s.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
@ finalark finalark you might as well finish it. It's not exceptional but it's quite interesting (also, you know, pop culture and stuff).

Speaking of mediocre, anyone else watching Punchline?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Mirai Nikki is honestly garbage, but not a bad series for first timers. It's just so... quintessentially anime, if you know what I mean. I class it with the likes of Akame ga Kill, Mahouka, Sword Art, Date A Live, Shingeki, etc.

finalark

SNORLAX
I have a friend who only recently got into the anime/manga scene who loves Future Diary. It's not a bad introduction, but as far as thrillers go I'd recommend something like All You Need is Kill or Death Note to more seasoned readers over it.

Although I also have a friend who's been into anime/manga for at least as long as I have (ten years about) who still falls head-over-heels for your standard anime tropes, so different strokes I guess.

Also:

This is honestly one of the single most boring series I've ever seen. Nothing really happens, I don't think I could recall a single character by name or personality traits. IIRC the only thing the series really had was endless incest jokes which they ran into the ground by the third episode.

I am genuinely surprised this show has a following.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Death Note and Code Geass are definitely the top two starters, they give the illusion of maturity and do a good job of keeping the attention of the viewers. Higurashi, Shinsekai yori, and Steins;Gate are a cut above those, but they're still exceedingly average. I'm not sure if my standards are absurdly high or if the Japanese have failed us. The only shows that don't seem to insult the intelligence of their viewers are usually boring as ****. I've been trudging through Seirei no Moribito and it's a step in the right direction, but not quite as good as it could be. Anyone here like Ergo Proxy? Was gonna try that and see if it can restore my faith in this godforsaken medium.

Regarding Mahouka, the following was to be expected. There's a new one every quarter. It was Absolute Duo last season, it's DanMachi now. People like these simple stories with invincible protagonists that get hella girls. If I had to guess, I'd say it's because readers of the light novels hype up the series and trick people into thinking it's gonna be good. It's a lesson I had to learn the hard way, because I mistakenly watched No Game No Life, Black Bullet, Log Horizon, Mahou Sensou, and several others on the basis that they would have something worthwhile. "This one's different!" they say. Don't believe them. Disregard all LN adaptations.

Top Bottom