• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Mikey Da Bawse

Smash Cadet
NNID
MikeyDaBawse
3DS FC
5129-1447-8505
Did you ever watch Dragon Ball?

I actually enjoyed that series more; it was a bit more light-hearted, funny, and entertaining. Definitely less filler.

DBZ is excellent though, just takes a while sometimes to get the amazing stuff.
Never watched the original Dragon Ball but I read like 2 volumes of the manga. It was OK.
I'll probably watch it or read it one of these days.

But there's an official version that already does that : it's called TFS DBZ Abridged Dragon Ball Kai.

If I find DBZ to be dragging on too long for my liking , I'll definitely try Kai.

97 episodes does sound easier to stomach than around 250 canon episodes of DBZ but I prefer the older animation and VA more tbh.

spamwichx

Smash Cadet
NNID
samantharrgh
anyone seen excel saga? one of those sobaditsgood animes.
sub is less annoying but i can't find it :(

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
The new Summer anime season has begun! What are your favourites so far?
I've been watching Non Non Biyori Repeat and been liking it so far. The first season is one my favorite slice of lifes, mostly because it's pretty calming, includes some nice scenery, and has a different premise from the standard high school show. I can understand if some people find it boring though. While it's not exactly action packed or anything like that, I think it's a fun show.

So far it seems like Repeat is less a continuation of season 1 and more a collection of stuff that happened during the same time as the first season but wasn't shown in it. I sort of wanted a true sequel, but I think that should be fine too. I'm definitely not going to complain about more NNB.

Last edited:

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
I've been watching Non Non Biyori Repeat and been liking it so far. The first season is one my favorite slice of lifes, mostly because it's pretty calming, includes some nice scenery, and has a different premise from the standard high school show. I can understand if some people find it boring though. While it's not exactly action packed or anything like that, I think it's a fun show.

So far it seems like Repeat is less a continuation of season 1 and more a collection of stuff that happened during the same time as the first season but wasn't shown in it. I sort of wanted a true sequel, but I think that should be fine too. I'm definitely not going to complain about more NNB.

Someone else who likes Non Non Biyori?!

Seriously though, Non Non Biyori is also one of my favourite slice of life anime. I just love how relaxing and funny the anime is; it always puts a smile on my face. Renge is such an adorable character too. I also wish season 2 was an actual sequel but I'm not complaining about it being pretty much a 'repeat' by covering parts that weren't included in season 1. Non Non Biyori Repeat is still such a feel good anime. The knock-down-the-ruler game in the latest episode was so great. Glad to see the brother is appearing more often but I kinda want him to speak for once. :p

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Does anybody else HATE the growing use of cel-shaded 3D in anime these days? I don't mean when it's used for machines and vehicles. That stuff's understandable. I mean when they use it for the characters and try to fool us into thinking it was actually 2D. I get that 2D animation is a really tedious and expensive thing but it just ends up looking so awkward all the time. I hated the transformation scenes in Sailor Moon Crystal for that reason.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I used to have a theory where animation studios started using more CGI because they require less talent (drawing) and more raw work (programming, correcting, etc.).

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I'm currently watching Non Non Biyori! It's so cute and very easy-going, which I appreciate a lot.
Renge is super adorable and I love her expression. I'm kind of a fan of Hotaru too since I like her appearance and find her voice to be cute.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Does anybody else HATE the growing use of cel-shaded 3D in anime these days? I don't mean when it's used for machines and vehicles. That stuff's understandable. I mean when they use it for the characters and try to fool us into thinking it was actually 2D. I get that 2D animation is a really tedious and expensive thing but it just ends up looking so awkward all the time. I hated the transformation scenes in Sailor Moon Crystal for that reason.
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the transformation sequences in Sailor Moon Crystal either. It just feels so out of place. If watching Shirobako has taught me anything, it's just easier/quicker to use CG instead of doing traditional 2D animation. Same goes with the performance scenes in Love live, CG is just a lot easier to do with all the movements the characters make.

Has anyone been watching Gakkou Gurashi? This anime has really surprised, especially its first episode. I don't want to spoil anything but I'd definitely recommend giving it a try. Don't let the moe faze you.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Someone else who likes Non Non Biyori?!

Seriously though, Non Non Biyori is also one of my favourite slice of life anime. I just love how relaxing and funny the anime is; it always puts a smile on my face. Renge is such an adorable character too. I also wish season 2 was an actual sequel but I'm not complaining about it being pretty much a 'repeat' by covering parts that weren't included in season 1. Non Non Biyori Repeat is still such a feel good anime. The knock-down-the-ruler game in the latest episode was so great. Glad to see the brother is appearing more often but I kinda want him to speak for once. :p
On one hand, I'd like Suguru to say something. On the other hand, I think being mute on-screen is sort of his thing. Even Renge wants to keep it that way judging by how she seems to runs away from him whenever he's about to speak.

What were your favorite moments in the first season? I'm partial to the bits with Renge and her friend, Candy Store's backstory with Renge, and that scene where Komari tries to act "mature," though there's a lot of other stuff that's pretty memorable to me too.

I'm currently watching Non Non Biyori! It's so cute and very easy-going, which I appreciate a lot.
Renge is super adorable and I love her expression. I'm kind of a fan of Hotaru too since I like her appearance and find her voice to be cute.
Hotaru is pretty cool, yeah. I think she has good fashion sense, it probably comes from being from the big city.

I guess Hotaru and Komari are my favorite characters, but I don't dislike any of the cast really. I feel like everyone has their moments.

Last edited:

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
On one hand, I'd like Suguru to say something. On the other hand, I think being mute on-screen is sort of his thing. Even Renge wants to keep it that way judging by how she seems to runs away from him whenever he's about to speak.

What were your favorite moments in the first season? I'm partial to the bits with Renge and her friend, Candy Store's backstory with Renge, and that scene where Komari tries to act "mature," though there's a lot of other stuff that's pretty memorable to me too.

Hotaru is pretty cool, yeah. I think she has good fashion sense, it probably comes from being from the big city.

I guess Hotaru and Komari are my favorite characters, but I don't dislike any of the cast really. I feel like everyone has their moments.
Yeah, Suguru being mute has become the norm so making him talk will probably ruin his character's quirk. I still would like to see him utter something in this season but probably won't happen. Suguru always seems to get humiliated/teased by the girls, especially Renge heh.

Oh yes, the Candy Store lady's backstory with Renge is by far one of my favourites. A younger Candy Store lady taking care of baby Renge was way too adorable and funny. It makes a lot more sense why Renge is fond of her too. Komari tries so hard to act 'mature' but it always backfires. She's just so conscious about how short and small she is and acts like a little kid, haha. I also really liked that episode where Renge befriends Honoka; this will probably make me less of a man but that episode made my cry.

I actually like Hotaru as well. The fact that she's actually really mature and tall for a 5th grader makes her have really interesting moments with the other characters. Her obsession with making plushies/dolls of Komari are 10/10 though.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Not anime but for those who are still fans of SAO, Asuna's 'final form' has been revealed in the latest light novel volume cover.
Her final form is the ultimate waifu. :troll:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I've been reading Yamada's 7 Witches.
This is one of the most original, funniest mangas I've read in a while. I find myself laughing hard at several times (which is pretty rare on me).

I heard the anime is pretty disappointing for its fast pace, but the manga is a jewel.

That being said, it really could've ended with the wish, it was a nice disclosure, despite still having some untied ends.

Last edited:

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox

They exist, apparently. It seems like some of them are actually available on Amazon.co.jp too.

On the topic of Non Non Biyori, I really enjoyed episode 4 of Repeat. I thought it did a good job of making you feel for a character while still being subtle about it. That's not something I've seen in a lot of slice of life shows.
Okay now that is freaking adorable. xD Must resist....

Episode 4 of Repeat was so good. The whole thing with tadpole shrimps was really nice, especially with Ren-chon and Natsumi being involved. I'm just glad Repeat still maintains the fun and relaxing vibes that S1 did.

I've been reading Yamada's 7 Witches.
This is one of the most original, funniest mangas I've read in a while. I find myself laughing hard at several times (which is pretty rare on me).

I heard the anime is pretty disappointing for its fast pace, but the manga is a jewel.

That being said, it really could've ended with the wish, it was a nice disclosure, despite still having some untied ends.
Oh man, I love Yamada and the Seven Witches. I haven't read the manga in a while though. I did like the anime even though it condensed like 80 chapters of the manga into just 13 episodes. Still very enjoyable as its own thing. I should catch up with the latest chapters though.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Just done reading the 6 first volumes of Yamada kun and it's pretty high quality material. At first it looks like a regular "oh no our bodies have swapped, what are we gonna do ?" kind of manga, but it goes out of hand really quickly and hilariously. And it's made by the author of Yankee kun to Megane chan so I'm probably going to enjoy catching up to the most recent chapters.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Apparently, the person who made that Banjo-Kazooie x Non Non Biyori mashup I posted up above made another one. Well, this one is more of a Banjo-Tooie x Non Non Biyori mashup, but I think it's still pretty good.

This isn't really all that related, but has anyone else read any Shoulder-a-Coffin Kuro? I started reading it because I'm a big fan of Kiyuduki's other series (GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class) and I've enjoyed it so far. While the feel of the comic seems pretty different, I like its atmosphere a bunch and I'm looking forward to reading more of it.

Last edited:

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Currently watching Gakkou Gurashi nya! I've read what the manga has so far and I can't wait for the next episode/chapter to come out nya!
I'm loving Gakkou Gurashi but I'm trying my best to stay clear from the manga. I don't want to spoil myself too soon and rather just wait till the anime slowly unfolds everything. I really like the subtle hints in this anime though.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I'm to date with Yamada now so here's my opinion
While you're right it looks like the author is trying to go full circle mode and answer all the questions so it's all god, the only thing I can complain about this manga is the rhythm being kinda low for a long time right after the wish is completed
And reading it made me remember I hadn't finished the author's previous work (yankee-kun & megane-chan) so now I'll be doing that.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Non Non Biyori Repeat continues to be great. Well, I think so anyway, heh. The bit in episode 7 where Renge and Hikage played "dolls" was pretty funny. It's probably one of my favorite scenes this season.

I also found a NNB medley recently which I thought was worth sharing, so here's that.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Punchline
Plastic Memories
Gatchaman CROWDS
Gatchaman CROWDS insight
Charlotte
Shimoneta
Gangsta

Those are the ones I've watched this year.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Would recommend from winter 14/15:
- YuriKuma
- Binan koukou...
- Death Parade
- Jjba (has previous seasons)
- The rolling girls

Would recommend from spring:
- rekan
- yahari ore... (Also has a previous season)
- Shokugeki (2cour, still airing)
- ubw (previous season)
- kekkai sensen (final episode is indefinitely delayed :( )
- plastic memories
- arslan senki (2cour still airing)-
- kiniro mosaic (has a previous season. Not that that mattered too much for slice of life)
- Sidonia no kishi ( has a previous season)

Summer 15: (still airing, so this is current impressions, nothing more)
- charlotte
- gangsta
- himouto
- shimoneta

Also aired some time recently:
- durarara. Can't give a final word, just started the first season three days ago, but I'm really enjoying the show. (Has headless rider on motorcycle => must watch. That character is voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro. Is not even the best character. Show would also be great without the amazing cast... ;) )

Akumetsu

Smash Apprentice
Durarara keeps up his great story.
New chars get introduced, some get a closer look, new char developments take place and like in the latest episodes they just pull something big out of nowhere. .-.

Didn't think it could hold out that long.

Last edited:

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Shokugeki no Souma's anime is finally in its Autumn Election arc. I'm really loving it so far but there's only 3 episodes left. Season 2 needs to happen, please!

Charlotte has gotten a lot better now but also brings about more questions than answers. Hopefully they'll be explained in the remaining episodes.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Charlotte is like a revelation for me, begain kind of weak/generic (first episode I felt like watching Code Geass all over again) and then it got pretty good quickly.
I am definitely looking forward to its disclosure, I'm pretty certain it will not let me down.
:196:

Last edited:

Akumetsu

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
"He was framed by ****ing a highschool girl, but that's impossible."
"Why"?"
"Cause he was always going for milfs."

Oh, Shimoneta.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
One Punch Man PV3 looks so hype. Pre-aired episode 1 was streamed online yesterday. I can't wait to watch the first episode next month when it officially airs though.

T

Trick or Treat

Durarara is my favorite series of all time, and I have seen almost 200 anime and manga.

Has anyone else here read the light novels? All of them? There are some scenes I can't wait for in the anime.

I am currently watching Durarara, Gangsta, and Charlotte, considering starting Aoharu x Kikansomething. Any good?

I recently finished Hyouka, UN-GO, Plastic Memories, Tari Tari and OreGairu 2.

Owari no Seraph and DanganRonpa are also next on my list

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Look who we have here, hi Miracle! c:

I began reading Durarara's novels, but it's a pain to read on the computers' screen so I had to pass on that....
Read the like 9 chapters of the manga, and scenes were slightly different but overall similar to the anime so it didn't really matter that it was incomplete (I mean, the focus is only the anime and the novels).
Really looking forward to how they manage to complete this season!

Also, I've been avoiding watching Danganronpa.
I rather get my PSP emulator to work and experience the whole thing first hand.

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

Look who we have here, hi Miracle! c:

I began reading Durarara's novels, but it's a pain to read on the computers' screen so I had to pass on that....
Read the like 9 chapters of the manga, and scenes were slightly different but overall similar to the anime so it didn't really matter that it was incomplete (I mean, the focus is only the anime and the novels).
Really looking forward to how they manage to complete this season!

Also, I've been avoiding watching Danganronpa.
I rather get my PSP emulator to work and experience the whole thing first hand.
Well, it's okay! You'll get to see it all in it's animated glory with this cour and the next.

The first season, wayyyyy back in 2010, only covered the first 3 novels. I remember being so in love with it that I just had to keep following the novels, which helped. But it was alsl sad because for most of that time, it seemed hopeless that there would be a second season, so all the awesome scenes and events from the novels would never be animated.

You have no idea how happy I was when it finally got announced, and as a three-cour as well.

As for Danganronpa, I'll just stick with the anime first, to get a taste, and if it interests me enough I will look into it more. Like with Umineko.

And that anime was terrible, while the VNs were amazing.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I recently got back into anime after finishing season 2 of Baka to Test and re-watching a bit of Cowboy Bebop. Currently, I've made a backlog of animes I still need to watch/finish:
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
  • Baccano!
  • Berserk
  • F-Zero GP Legend
There are still more but these are top priority for now.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Aoharu is pretty fun; good characters, good humour, decent story line (as if anybody watched it for that)
Owari no Seraph was terrible; sat through the first season mostly being like "please, stop, don't do this completely obvious plot 'twist'... ****, they did it again, why is this show so terrible" :D

I watched the first few episodes of danganronpa, not my cup of tea, but I can see why it would appeal to others. In the case of Umineko, I just read the VN... Heard it being praised as vastly superior, and after reading it, I don't think there would be a way to adapt it well. Way too much essential material, plus so many things that can't really adhere to the good old "show, don't tell" maxim of movies ;)
Also, greatest piece of literature ever written <3

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

Aoharu is pretty fun; good characters, good humour, decent story line (as if anybody watched it for that)
Owari no Seraph was terrible; sat through the first season mostly being like "please, stop, don't do this completely obvious plot 'twist'... ****, they did it again, why is this show so terrible" :D

I watched the first few episodes of danganronpa, not my cup of tea, but I can see why it would appeal to others. In the case of Umineko, I just read the VN... Heard it being praised as vastly superior, and after reading it, I don't think there would be a way to adapt it well. Way too much essential material, plus so many things that can't really adhere to the good old "show, don't tell" maxim of movies ;)
Also, greatest piece of literature ever written <3
Okay so I'll probably not even watch Owari no Seraph then. I was barely interested to begin with.

Also yeah the Umineko anime sucks in comparison to the VN, which I have watched twice.

Top Bottom