• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gay, ****, Homo and similar words...

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
It's going to be different from person to person. Period to period. There was a time I wasn't out, the language was prominent in the community, I used it to fit in. I know I've made a trans joke about Sheik.

I've been out for a while because of individuals in this community. I've matured and grown more accepting of myself. I've been physically assaulted and attacked while having slurs tossed at me. Hell, I've had someone take a lighter to the back of my head while spouting that kind of language. Changed my perspective quite quickly. "It doesn't mean...it's changed..." The negative connotation is still there. Language changes, of course, but when it comes to slurs, usually the group that is being subjugated by those terms attempts to change the meaning. And even still, that negative connotation remains and what its originally referencing still stands clear.

That being said, people argue in the LGBTQ community over certain words and reclamation. However, they are in that community and are attempting to take the sting out of the words. The re-appropriation of these words in our smash community keeps the negative attached, and for the most part is not only purveyed, but defended by those who will not be targeted by the original definition until the end of their days.

But again, person to person. Not everyone will agree with me, nor do I expect them to.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I feel there should not be any problems with smash lingo. You merely use it to express stuff about a game. I do not really care about any LBQT issues when I am clearly talking about the game and nothing else. If anything, its other people's problems for getting too uptight about language without actually caring about the intentions of the words being used. It goes back to being too quick to judge without learning more about a situation.
When you say something is gay, you aren't just expressing your view on the game. You're expressing your view on gay people by comparing it to something that you dislike, that annoys you, that you don't think is fun or enjoyable. Think about what you mean when you call Jiggs or something in Melee gay. Now imagine if you had said that with the exact same tonality and attitude, but you had replaced "Jiggs" with a gay person's name. Of course you probably don't go around insulting gay people, but when you associate their sexual orientation's label with negative behavior, you are by proxy associating that negativity with their sexual orientation. It's no different than watching a TV show where a white guy steals something and offhandedly saying, "lol that was so black of him!" The comment obviously isn't targeted at a black person and it is only meant to describe the behavior of the thief, but it's still implying that all black people steal and purporting dumb stereotypes that ruin lives in the real world. Black people shouldn't have to hear such an ignorant comparison just like gay people shouldn't have to hear an entire community constantly compare them to anything and everything remotely unfun in a videogame.

It's going to be different from person to person. Period to period. There was a time I wasn't out, the language was prominent in the community, I used it to fit in. I've been out for a while because of individuals in this community. I've matured and grown more accepting of myself. I've been physical assaulted and attacked while having slurs tossed at me. Hell, I've had someone take a lighter to the back of my head while spouting that kind of language. Changed my perspective quite quickly.
All I need is their names. I'll find their addresses on my own.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I don't think I'd have a problem with the use of the words if I didn't also see them as a pretty clear reflection, more often than not, of misogyny or homophobia in the people using them. If someone who doesn't typically go around being a jerk just says, "oh that was ****," to describe a sick combo, I'd probably just roll my eyes at the immaturity of it, because at the end of the day, they just have some growing up to do. But far too often, I hear that, then a couple minutes later, they're saying something specifically demeaning or verbally abusive about women or homosexuals, which is pretty ****ing unacceptable. If nothing else, the ease of generalizing about people that say "I ***** his fox," or, "his falco's so gay," and assuming they're just bigots should be reason enough to quit using those terms. At least if you don't want to sound like a bigot.

That said, I've got to hand it to commentators like prog and D1. We're getting more and more commentators that are able to find words that are not simply less offensive, but more creative, and reflect better on their improvisational abilities. So I think we're on a better track.

As far as gay people saying gay or ***, or other such terms, I see it as being similar to black people being allowed to say ******. Being able to reclaim slurs is one of the few powers oppressed groups have. I'm content to let them have it.

crush

Smash Master
I read somewhere that the practice of using these words in gaming originated from the early competitive Halo days (H2), which sounds pretty accurate to me. I agree with nmn, it's a universal problem within almost all competitive gaming scenes... and anyone who's been a coach or mentor or manager of people knows that it's extremely difficult to change the culture of a community that's as old as Halo or Melee. So while I don't think we should attempt to censor at tournaments, I do think it's fair (and beneficial to the community) to censor from commentators working on the livestream, players doing to-be-published interviews, and anyone else who is publicly representing the Smash tournament brand. To the average spectator, there's always been a childish stigma associated with gaming scenes, so anything we can do to move away from that is beneficial to our community. And we haven't even begun to talk about potential sponsors.
I miss ogre 2 telling gandhi to get ***** while right in front of the cameras for the usa network show

I agree that people maybe shouldnt use these words as often but once every now and then is alright, no need to be a jew about it.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
that's quite an assumption you're making about me. and a false one, but let's not get personal here.

regardless of whether it's offensive or not doesn't necessarily mean that society at large should cater to a fairly minor group of people in the first place. it's not like being offended is a productive emotion either. i would consider the guilt and resentment from self-censorship to be the bigger loss.
Oh jesus, it's just so oppressing when people want you to moderate your language to respect other's feelings, isn't it? I don't know how the community would survive without people calling Hungrybox a ******.

Really though, this isn't about Smash, it's just common decency. Slurs are bad, grow the **** up.

D

Deleted member

which stance has less class, the one that uses foul language or the one that attempts to control the foul language of others? being the better man is a matter of not posting in this thread more than it is picking either side.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Not too sure what I feel about the whole matter. On bright side, I'm glad at the very least that most people take these words not very seriously in our community, and sometimes it feels like we're destroying the meanings associated with these words and stamping on our own. I think South Park did an episode showcasing the idea, where the essentially made f*gs a derogative term for people with Harley Davidson's rather than homosexuals. I think it'd be alright to live in a world where slanderous words can be thrown out without conjuring up hatred, deep mental scars, or incredible feelings of inferiority.

We don't really live in that world right now though, so I dunno. It's hard to control what you say with friends, and sometimes that's what the community is like. You're among friends, so you don't hold back. But I'm trying to cut down myself. I catch myself saying **** sometimes to describe something good, but always get this nasty aftertaste after having said it. Like "really, that's the BEST thing you have to say about this ****?"

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
which stance has less class, the one that uses foul language or the one that attempts to control the foul language of others?
If you're asking who has less class: the one who uses homophobic slurs or the one who looks down on that behavior, then it's the first one. I thought this **** was obvious, but apparently it has to be spelled out.
being the better man is a matter of not posting in this thread more than it is picking either side.
Lol, what?

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
it's good to recognize that language is dynamic, but it's not formless. there should be some consideration for established definitions. if you're with smashers or some other group that is fine with this and say it then that's w/e--i do this. not comfortable calling it bad or good; it's just w/e. but if you think it's just as well to do this in a general setting then you are kidding yourself. decorum, social norms etc. if people want to interact with the general population then some degree of conformity is ideal, perhaps even necessary

edit: so i'd say know your audience

dkuo

Smash Lord
i dont like using controversial words in general purely out of convenience

with that said, idgaf about their usage, feel free to be 100% controversial around me

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
its 2013, if your still tossing around words like gay and **** every time you have to play a shiek, or just to say it in general, wtf mangz

people gotta remember what smash really is.

its OneUnit

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'm going to open with saying that I'm glad this has been brought up again, and I'm very glad to see how much improvement the community has made on this issue, at least by judging from the overall feeling from this thread. Hopefully that doesn't change as it progresses, but right now it seems that more people are for not using slurs and being mature than the other way around.
As far as gay people saying gay or ***, or other such terms, I see it as being similar to black people being allowed to say ******. Being able to reclaim slurs is one of the few powers oppressed groups have. I'm content to let them have it.
So very true. The only problem with this is other groups appropriating the usage of those words thinking that just because their token friend uses it and thinks it's dumb to be upset about it means it's ok for them to use it too. Hell, this thread already has an example of this:
not really, i do know people in other communities who are gay and use it though
Know that if you are not part of the oppressed group, you do not have the right to appropriate their usage of the term.

When the hell is SWF going to censor the word ****? Seriously, this is ridiculous. There are no discussions (at least not that I'm aware of) in which people talk about **** in a way that would justify it not being censored.

D

Deleted member

If you're asking who has less class: the one who uses homophobic slurs or the one who looks down on that behavior, then it's the first one. I thought this **** was obvious, but apparently it has to be spelled out.

Lol, what?

you missed the point entirely.

When you say something is gay, you aren't just expressing your view on the game. You're expressing your view on gay people by comparing it to something that you dislike, that annoys you, that you don't think is fun or enjoyable.

Think about what you mean when you call Jiggs or something in Melee gay. Now imagine if you had said that with the exact same tonality and attitude, but you had replaced "Jiggs" with a gay person's name. Of course you probably don't go around insulting gay people, but when you associate their sexual orientation's label with negative behavior, you are by proxy associating that negativity with their sexual orientation. It's no different than watching a TV show where a white guy steals something and offhandedly saying, "lol that was so black of him!" The comment obviously isn't targeted at a black person and it is only meant to describe the behavior of the thief, but it's still implying that all black people steal and purporting dumb stereotypes that ruin lives in the real world. Black people shouldn't have to hear such an ignorant comparison just like gay people shouldn't have to hear an entire community constantly compare them to anything and everything remotely unfun in a videogame.
That's likely how "gay" usage came to surface in the first place. But, not how I intend its usage to be for myself.

Words change meaning all the time along with everyone's impression of it. Despite words having fixed meanings through a dictionary, many people will still associate extra meanings along with standard definitions. I recall some classrooms getting into discussions such as what does "XXXX word mean for you?" and kids will start to tell you multiple different view points. Its quite interesting when you ask multiple people what they think feminism is and you get many different explanations for the same word. Ultimately, everyone will use a word and have slightly different meanings associated with it. That's one of the faults of language because this happens.

Also, think back to certain phrases having completely different meanings depending upon how you say it with tone of voice too. "Thanks" you can say with a say a softer tone of voice and imply something positive in nature while you can say "thanks" as a more mono-tone sort of voice and imply sarcasm which is a more negative meaning.

Thus, while some person likely started explaining something as being gay in the game as a contrast to a dislike about LGBT topics, its not how I view it myself and not what I want to get across when its used. This is why I think the lingo shouldn't be a problem at all with anyone. Within a community at first words are brought in to describe things out of their usual context. "How do I describe something being undesirable for gameplay? Oh, its gay?" Oh, okay. That's how it started. Now, in like a decade of usage how has the meanings changed from how it was first introduced? As new players come along they see the usage of lingo in certain context. How do they know what the meaning is at all? They see what context the word is used in and develop the definition off of that. You hardly ever see anyone ask "what does jigglypuff playing gay" mean directly. They just figure out something for themselves. So, I would think that people are no longer associating it with any LGBT topics at all and adopting an entirely new definition by itself.

Oddly enough, gay has already gone through a common definition change already. An old archaic definition was pretty much synonymous with being uplifting or lighthearted. Typically, its used to refer to a homosexual. But oh, look multiple dictionaries associate different meanings of the word gay
http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/gay
3. informal, often offensive foolish, stupid, or unimpressive:making students wait for the light is kind of a gay rule
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gay?s=t
5.Slang: Often Disparaging and Offensive. awkward, stupid, or bad; lame: This game is really gay.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/gay_3
not good, reasonable, or suitable

Again, the word has come be adopted as nothing more or less than being an adjective for something undesirable. Its origins doesn't matter, its where it ends up going that really matters. And as I see it, its already moving in a direction away from any homosexual dislike and adopting something else entirely.

Oh, well. There is really nothing objective to go with on this topic. Its all subjective ideals really which was the point of the opening post's question anyway.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
In my opinion you have to be, honestly, a fairly weak individual to be offended by someone using the word "gay" in a seemingly insulting manner (which it's not being used in). It just reminds me of all those anti-using-the-word-gay commercials which used to air on the TV when I was younger, with like Hillary Duff saying how wrong it is to say the word gay to describe something as being bad or annoying. I found the commercials really silly, unneeded, and completely useless then, and I still do now as an openly gay person. It could be the fact that my brother and I always grew up saying "that's gay" and such; and maybe I've just gotten used to it to the point where I in no way find it offensive.

I remember a thread exactly like this one titled "Gay!" which was created about 2 years ago in General Brawl, which had someone trying to discourage people from saying the word gay in an offensive manner. But the thing is, you actually have to listen to how people are saying it, and how they are using it. 9 times out of 10.... actually lets use 99 times out of 100, the word is not used or said in attempt to offend the homosexual community. It is simply people basically saying "that's stupid". If changing that one word from "gay" to "stupid" really cures all hard feelings, then I guess just ask the people saying it to use another word. Or ignore them.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Really though, is it that hard to replace three words in your vocabulary? If it stops one **** victim being triggered, or one homosexual from feeling alienated, isn't it worth it? I'm just honestly not a fan of hurting people (however unintentionally) for the sake of such spurious reasons as "the principle", or tradition, or apathy.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
For the people who argue that the meaning of words change... that is obvious. I don't think anyone arguing for not using slurs on the basis that words never change or don't have alternate meanings. The point is that any new definition of the word is the alternate definition. What it communicates is still the main meaning of the word. One shouldn't ignore the fact that, while language is evolving the fastest it has in history, it still takes language much longer to drop a meaning than it does to take up a new one. It will take a very long time for "gay" or "***" to ever take on the primary definition of how it is used in the gaming community. Many generations will have to pass in which the LGBT community is no longer oppressed in any way for that to happen. To say otherwise is just showing a lack of empathy.

****, on the other hand, will always be a word that will possibly trigger. I would find it incredibly hard to believe that it will ever lose it's current primary meaning considering that you'd have to literally create a new word to take it's place. I also don't understand why there are people claiming to not use racial or homophobic slurs, but still think it's great to use the word ****. Guys, 20% of women report that they were ***** at some point in their lives, and it is estimated that **** is the most under-reported crime out there (between 75 and 95% in England). One in ten men also report that they have been *****. Statistically, you have a higher chance of offending someone with the mention of **** than you would with almost any other slur. So I really don't get why people aren't having a ton of cognitive dissonance when one says something along the lines of:

**** however, I could never really care about.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
As some others have said I think the community has improved a lot with regards to this. There's still a lot of room for improvement though. I personally replace "gay" with "lame" or "bogus" (bogus is such a good word lol) and replace "*****" with "wrecked" or even "scraped"

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
As some others have said I think the community has improved a lot with regards to this. There's still a lot of room for improvement though. I personally replace "gay" with "lame" or "bogus" (bogus is such a good word lol) and replace "*****" with "wrecked" or even "scraped"
I like to try to come up with a different word every time. Although personally, I've always liked the word, "routed."

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I used to think of that word as happy in my childhood. Now people use it as a homsexual, and middle school was hell and they used that word towards me. I'm sure all of us are mature enough to not use the word gay for any purpose, especially when someone does a dumb play. I would tend to use if someone did something really idiotic, but eh.....not so much.

For ****, I understand if people use it just because someone got beaten pretty badly in a match, but that's just for humor. That's all, nothing else. I wouldn't mind, but if someone did, don't start a fuss, apologize, and move on. That's the only way you'll get out of a future mess. Those words can get stuck in your head easily, and I don't blame anybody but the person responsible for making the definition of a word that meant "cheerful", lol.

2 centz.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I think that we should be able to say whatever we want whenever we want. My vocabulary shouldn't be limited because YOU can't handle certain words.

Now, the context is a completely different story. I can offend someone without any curse words, or I could not offend someone with all curse words. It doesn't matter. What matters is your tone and what you're using the word for.

I could see someone being offended if someone called them a 'gay **** homo'. Otherwise you shouldn't let vibrations in the air ruin your day.

EDIT: I didn't read most of the thread, but I just read Prog's post. Prog, I will **** those gay homos.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
You're right, this is a free country and you can say whatever you want. Doesn't make you any less of an ass hat.

Blistering Speed said:
Really though, is it that hard to replace three words in your vocabulary? If it stops one **** victim being triggered, or one homosexual from feeling alienated, isn't it worth it? I'm just honestly not a fan of hurting people (however unintentionally) for the sake of such spurious reasons as "the principle", or tradition, or apathy.
This. As Nintendude and others have pointed out, we have access to plenty of other words that mean the exact same thing. All it takes is a little bit of creativity. Sad to see people saying "you're weak if you get offended"--no, you're weak if you lack the empathy/will power/mental capacity to drop literally three words out of your vocabulary and find a more considerate way to express yourself.

TigerBizNiz

Smash Apprentice
I perfer the term "owned" over "*****" anyday. Although I do understand "homo" being offensive, but doesn't the term "gay" have multiple meanings anyways?

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
some of the responses in this thread are infuriating

"but how will I, as a straight white male, express myself without using homophobic, sexist, and racist slurs?!?!"

have some ****ing empathy, just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it can't impact someone else in a significant way. get your bigoted **** out of here. this is 2013, calling someone a '******' isn't edgy anymore.

ycz12

Smash Ace
which stance has less class, the one that uses foul language or the one that attempts to control the foul language of others? being the better man is a matter of not posting in this thread more than it is picking either side.
You're allowed to use foul language if you want. Nobody's going to stop you.

Doing so does make you an ignorant and hurtful piece of garbage, though.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
For ****, I understand if people use it just because someone got beaten pretty badly in a match, but that's just for humor.
Why is it humorous though? Surely it's not about humor anymore when many people in the gaming community just toss the word out 5 times in a sentence. It not only serves to alienate, but it also doesn't have any shock value... which is what people are *attempting* to exploit when they use the word. If ones idea of humor is to toss out racial slurs and **** occasionally to "shock" an audience... you aren't funny. It's not original. It's just the epitome of immature at the expense of others. Again, like I said before, why do you have the decency to think of others when it comes to slurs against homosexuals, but refuse to have empathy towards **** victims?
I think that we should be able to say whatever we want whenever we want. My vocabulary shouldn't be limited because YOU can't handle certain words.

Now, the context is a completely different story. I can offend someone without any curse words, or I could not offend someone with all curse words. It doesn't matter. What matters is your tone and what you're using the word for.

I could see someone being offended if someone called them a 'gay **** homo'. Otherwise you shouldn't let vibrations in the air ruin your day.

EDIT: I didn't read most of the thread, but I just read Prog's post. Prog, I will **** those gay homos.
Hey Wretched, I saw that episode of Penn & Teller Bull**** too. Btw, you aren't being cool, you are being a huge ass. Words are more the just tones in the air... they are audio symbols of ideas. They conjure mental images, invoke thought, etc. Go look into some cognitive science on the subject. One's brain lights up when they hear language, even if they themselves don't understand the language.

I also want to draw a distinction here between curse words and slurs. Curse words are mostly dumb and arbitrary. Oh wow people don't like you using words referring to sex, bodily functions, or hell/damnation. They don't really target anyone, they are just general use words that are arbitrarly worse than their less "offensive" verions. Slurs on the other hand, are very different. Slurs are words created for the sole use to put down a group of people, and have been often used in conjunction with physical oppression.

In the end Wretched, you have the freedom to say what you want. But keep in mind that you don't have the freedom to not have to accept the consequences of what you say. If you continue to live your life under the philosophy that words are just tones and everyone can get over it... well, enjoy alienating many potential friends and relationships.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I would find it incredibly hard to believe that it [****] will ever lose it's current primary meaning considering that you'd have to literally create a new word to take it's place.
"Surprise Sex"! :D

On a more serious note: I'm not offended by any words, and really don't mind people using them. On the other hand I personally never use anything derogatory towards a subgroup of people, because I think it's stupid. (Also: I'd feel super dumb to use "gay" in that way, since it's really not an insult in the first place imho)

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
How in the world is understanding that context is everything bigoted? All I'm saying is that we can't place arbitrary social bans on words because of the possibility that it COULD offend some people. You can say "McDonalds" and it could bring back a horrendous experience for someone, and for that, I can say I am truly sorry for that person. If that person said "can you never use that term again?" I would never use the word around him again. However, that doesn't mean that I will never use the term again to ensure that I don't bring back McDonalds memories for someone else.

Based on your response, Mookie, I can see that you paid no attention to the fact that I said "What matters is your tone and what you use the word for." I want you to ponder that sentence, and then reread my original post.

I'm not going to yell racial slurs any time soon, but I do know that at the next smashfest I attend, a bunch of people are going to use the words 'gay,' '****,' and 'homo.' The best part is that nobody is going to be offended! If someone were to be offended because of their sexuality and the association of 'gay/homo' with 'bad,' he or she could speak out to the group and we would immediately stop using the word.

With that said, let me defend my sound waves argument. Put yourself in A Clockwork Orange. You're in the scene where your eyes are being pried open and you're being forced to take in information, however instead of Beethoven, it's a bunch of things that you would find offensive. You listen to it for a few hours. When you're done, you're perfectly fine because obviously words are just words. I hope some day we can mature enough as a people to be able to express ourselves freely without worrying that we're gonna make someone super-salty. If someone says a word you don't like once, and the word isn't directed at you and isn't intended to offend you, then you will get the **** over it.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
With that said, let me defend my sound waves argument. Put yourself in A Clockwork Orange. You're in the scene where your eyes are being pried open and you're being forced to take in information, however instead of Beethoven, it's a bunch of things that you would find offensive. You listen to it for a few hours. When you're done, you're perfectly fine because obviously words are just words.
This is quite possibly the worst analogy I've ever read. I'll give you props, though - it does a pretty good job at distracting people from the rest of your argument.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
How in the world is understanding that context is everything bigoted?
Nobody is arguing this but you. Yes, we all understand that lots of things can be potential triggers, but in the case of normal every day language (and McDonalds) it's highly unlikely that you will trigger someone. Meanwhile, talking of things like ****, or using racial slurs... that has a fairly high rate of triggering or offending someone. All you are attempting with this statement is to try to take my argument of being sensible and applying it in an extreme manner to make me look silly.
"What matters is your tone and what you use the word for."
I already know your argument, because once upon a time I used to be on your side of the fence. Then I grew up. Like I said, you are pretty much copying the Penn & Teller argument on the issue, one which is way oversimplified and doesn't begin to go into how language actually affects people.
The best part is that nobody is going to be offended!
You think that, but you have no idea who is actually offended to what. I don't think a lot of **** victims tend to make it open that they were *****, especially if they are guys. Assuming you have at least guy friends, chances are one of them has been *****. Ponder on that a bit.
If someone were to be offended because of their sexuality and the association of 'gay/homo' with 'bad,' he or she could speak out to the group and we would immediately stop using the word.
So you just admitted that the way you use the words gay, homo, and etc. are associated with bad. I doubt you would be as supportive on this issue if you were gay, or if you were gay and were a victim of ****.
I hope some day we can mature enough as a people to be able to express ourselves freely without worrying that we're gonna make someone super-salty.
I hope one day we can be mature enough to respect other human beings enough to just avoid using a tiny minute fraction of language that was intentionally designed to put others down.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This seems to be worth mentioning. I think it sums up my response to Wretched's defense of the right to bigotry in this thread.

V-K

Smash Ace
When you say it to a buddy, whatever. Just don't use the words on stream or in interviews that's just weird.

Bones0

Smash Legend
With that said, let me defend my sound waves argument. Put yourself in A Clockwork Orange. You're in the scene where your eyes are being pried open and you're being forced to take in information, however instead of Beethoven, it's a bunch of things that you would find offensive. You listen to it for a few hours. When you're done, you're perfectly fine because obviously words are just words. I hope some day we can mature enough as a people to be able to express ourselves freely without worrying that we're gonna make someone super-salty. If someone says a word you don't like once, and the word isn't directed at you and isn't intended to offend you, then you will get the **** over it.

That scene was literal torture... If you don't understand how that experience would deeply affect a person in the real world in a negative way, you honestly must be some sort of sociopath.

Also, to all the people harping on free speech, just because people are allowed to say what they want in public doesn't mean TOs and the community at large have to tolerate it at organized events.

Machiavelli

Smash Apprentice
but if people stop using slurs at video game tournaments how are you going fulfill your sense of superiority

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
That scene was literal torture... If you don't understand how that experience would deeply affect a person in the real world in a negative way, you honestly must be some sort of sociopath.
Yeah I like the sociopath part.

Mookie, all I really have to say to you is this: You can make anyone feel like a horrible person with the right words in the right context, and none of them have to be considered. If someone in my group had been ***** and we said it all of the time and it brought back bad memories, I would expect this person would be able to at least approach one person in the group and simply say "I don't like that word," and we wouldn't use it. However, until that time comes, I don't think anyone wants to just dance around the English language, hoping they don't spout out a combination of letters that might shatter someone's existence.

Massive

Smash Champion
"Surprise Sex"! :D
"Struggle Snuggle" is smoother (like peanut butter) and hilarious-er (like a drunken donkey eating figs) while adding another layer of delicious alliteration.

I really wish people would just relax and ignore the stupid **** they don't like on the internet and go on with their lives rather than try to force their opinions of how the world should be on everyone else.

Anyway if you really don't like something, try coming up with something you do like (GET CAKED, MOTHER-TRUCKER?) that will out-compete it instead of just telling people they are wrong and that they should change. After all, "Wombo Combo!" had effectively dethroned "****" in many circles for quite a while before it reached its saturation point and tapered off.

Also, is this rapethread #3 or #4? I've lost count.

channlsrfr

Smash Apprentice
Anyway if you really don't like something, try coming up with something you do like (GET CAKED, MOTHER-TRUCKER?)
I don't know why, but I really like "get caked" or "get caked on." Perhaps it's all the "k" sounds? I'm using that from now on.

Top Bottom