• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gatling Combo

AL2DAX

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure whether or not this is the correct definition of the Gatling combo.

It is when you use the dash attack and immediately follow up with a Usmash by pressing C-stick Down, Up and Z?

If so, how exactly do you guys do it (input into the controller)? Every time I attempt to do it either of these 4 things occur:

It becomes a regular dash attack
I unintentionally jump
I unintentionally grab or
It's just a charged-up, sliding Usmash

Is there an easier way of practicing this and at exactly what frame should I input the up and Z so I can land the dash attack and quickly follow up with the Usmash?

Tyser

Smash Champion
So Gatling Combo is when you connect both hits Im assuming? Ive never heard of that before because I guess Im apparently a newb or some sort. But anyways, I use A to dash attack and up on the Cstick for Usmash when and only when I want to connect both moves (dash attack and Usmash connecting = Gatling Combo?). If Im going to do a boost smash then I do Cstick down (dash attack), Up+Z. I dunno if its normal to be switching between different ways of doing it but I do it. I dont main Falco, but I play him kind of often.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Gatling combo is a Dash Attack Canceled Up-Smash.

I suggest trying it with Tap Jump Off, much easier.

And to do it, you must hit an opponent in order for it to connect. Basically, you run. When you get to the enemy, hit the C-Stick down which should perform a Dash Attack, and immediately follow up with Up + Z which should perform the U-Smash.

Squipy

Smash Cadet
Well there are two techniques that are similar in execution.
There's a booster up-smash, and the gatling combo.

Booster up-smash is when you cancel the dash attack completely, but you do not hit the enemy. You cancel even the initial frames of the dash attack to get the farthest slide. To preform, I press down on c-stick, then immediately up on c-stick and z. There are other variations, find what's most comfortable.

The gatling combo is when you... already explained above.
There's been a billion threads on both of these, you probably don't even have to use the search key. There's a thread right on page two about the same thing.

AL2DAX

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the replies and sorry for posting a thread that's been made many times :/

but yeah, it wasn't the boost smash giving me problems, it was the Gatling combo.

to whoever said I should try it with tap-jump off, doesn't taking off the tap jump deprive me of some extras techs? or no?

poopymum

Smash Rookie
It deprives you from Up smash shield canceling, from what i know-which is a useful tech.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Not really. There might be a few for other characters, but for Falco it'd be easier with it off. And never heard of Up-Smash Shield Canceling.. but it you are able to perform a move fast out of your shield, or jump from shield with it on.

And Face, nahh it doesn't.

poopymum

Smash Rookie
Up-smash shield canceling was one of M2K's(I THINK IT WAS M2K) tips against metaknight, after you shield his tornado then you just up-smash shield cancel him.

to0nIN

Smash Rookie
Holy crap, I learned how to do this in like 5 minutes.
with tap jump on.

but it's gonna be harder to apply in actual game. ;-;

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
You don't even need to turn off tap jump, it can be done in any controller(exept Wii-Mote alone) just run up to him, move the C-stick down(Shake down with 'Chuck) and then immediately up. it takes 5 mins tops to learn it, about 3 matches to get it in your game.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I used to have this problem when I first picked up Falco. Just wait until your dash attack connects, then follow through with the normal inputs as you would for a boost smash.

Top Bottom