• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gathering info for tourney so start talking!

Gichan

Smash Champion
Alright so I have scouted out three possible places

1. Glen Long Community Centre $37.10/hr
2. Amesbury Community Centre (what I'm looking more towards) $22/hr
3. Columbus Centre (most costly though) $450 (!!!)

Now I need to know how many people would come and who would help with set-ups and please Grmo or whoever knows how to use that tournament organizer stuff PM me details on how to use it.

I also would like to know if people would help out with setups or join for staff.

I ALSO would like recommendations on how much I should charge for venue fee and tournament pricing.

I need opinions and numbers as I wouldn't mind the 37.10/hr as it is in a gymnasium therefore much more space and thus a melee event! But the $22/hr is cheaper therefore longer times and still a comfortable room.

I am also looking to host this early August so prepare.

Gichan

Smash Champion
I cannot believe none of you have assisted me in some way, I will make it offical once I get some ****ing info. So disappointed...

KingAce

Smash Ace
yo im down to help out and I say you go for the amesbury one, the other ones are way too costly imo... try to host this early august or late august

Gichan

Smash Champion
nice, I might see of that gym then and make this have melee as well, that would own, but I gotta think of a venue fee although if both brawl and melee players come it shouldn't be a problem.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Traditionally these run from 12-12. I rounded up and just multiplied 23$ x 12 hours. 276$ venue fee. Usually organizers take money from the entry pots (15$ for singles, 20$ per doubles team is the standard entrance fee) to pay off this fee, however you also have the option of charging a flat venue of like... 5$ to ease this, or negate it completely and poor any excess into the pot size.

As for room size, we work with what we have. We've run a tournament with 40+ people in a townhouse using 3 rooms (if we can even declare it that many).

If you're serious about this I'll talk to the smashers from Scarb that don't travel, the Quebec Crew (<3 PKMVodka) about coming down for it, and maybe even some of the east coast American smashers (don't hold your breath about them though.) Turnout could vary from like 30-80 probably depending on who we can poke into attending.

Edit: Of course I'm only thinking about Melee here. If you make this half melee/half brawl you'll get hoards of people to 100% cover the venue fee. I don't know anyone that would travel for Brawl though... maybe poke the Ottawa folks.

Gichan

Smash Champion
holy **** that is serious! but if you were to bring that many melee pros and players and obviously the brawl turn-up, this will be too huge and I may need the gym.

So what you are telling me is that we will be playing for 12 hrs...I might have to take that $22/hr but I may ask if there is any way to decrease the price or make it a flat $300 for the gym.

I want melee in this as I do not want that game excluded or forgotten in competition, the more the better, but I may have to stick to brawl if I cannot get that gym. Thanks for the info Europhoria.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
If you need the gym, then go for it. However, if you wanna do both events in 1 day you're going to run into time issues. If you want to do pools they take long (Melee pools take 1-3 hours depending on how many setups/pools there are... Brawl pools will take an agonizingly long time... at least 2 hours). That's not even including doubles brackets. You couldn't finish it in a day with pools/brackets unless you started at maybe 6am. If you do pools for 1, the other community will be pissed off as **** if you don't give them pools too.

You'll need to do pools for Melee if you want me to be able to attract even the Quebec Crew or local players. Doubles bracket is also important, omitting would probably be bad.

This is the part where I point out that you have 2 options:
You do pools for both games and make this a 2 day event increasing rent cost drastically.
You do straight brackets and finish it in 1 day.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
if he's going through the trouble of doing both, I don't think we should ***** for pools. Brackets for both games all in one day sounds good to me.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Hmm...if we do double elimination tournaments for both games (including doubles) with no pools it would make my tournament less grand, **** man this is something to consider...it is unfortunate but there would be no way to make this a two day tournament especially if others are coming from far and the obvious financial reasons.

It'll have to be double elimination brackets and maybe I can have someone help me do brackets by skill level. Europhoria what would you say to this?

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Getting people to show up without pools might be a problem. I don't think anyone from NDot's crew will go without them. But we probably get a car to come with them. Seeding is obviously needed. >_> It's just hard to sway people to come to a tournament to only play brackets... where they can be done after 2 matches (at the very least that experience can discourage repeat attendants).

Gichan

Smash Champion
okay, so how has it been done before for these tournaments, did the person actually have the venue for two days or was the brackets done somewhere else?

Europhoria

Smash Lord
The last 2 game tournament was straight brackets. TCT had a venue for 2 days, but generally we've only had to deal with 1 game so it was easy to do in 1 day.

Gichan

Smash Champion
****...this is leaning towards one day, well, at least there is a tournament. There will be doubles as well though so hopefully that should attract ppl.

I'm looking at $5 fee with $15 singles and $5 per person in doubles both events.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Straight double elimination bracket should be fine, it'll work. But some people won't attend without pools likely. Quebec crew won't show up probably unless we can generate a prize pot large enough to make the trip worthwhile.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Some people would get knocked out after 2 sets. No one wants to fork up 15$ for that. If you offer them pools (5+ tournament quality matches) people will come for that because it's more worthwhile for their $, and for their improvement.

Gichan

Smash Champion
on first page, I wanted pools for that as well Euro, the fact that there are more matches for your money, I like that idea. How about if there were many set-ups, would this work?

Like, melee singles/brawl doubles (that way we have pools for singles in melee)

Then, Brawl singles/melee doubles ( pools for brawl)

A doubles match pits four players so that way we have more tvs available for pools. I think this plan is genius.

KingAce

Smash Ace
^ I think you should try to get a date for this along with a venue up and post it, see how many setups you can get. If you get enough setups for both games then run pools if not then just do straight brackets, besides if you have more setups for one game obviously give the players pools. if the ppl for the other game dont get pools because they dont have enough setups isnt that their fault for not bringing in enough setups? I dunno i think u shud just go with that schedule you have as long as their r enough setups, if not then run straight brackets.

Gichan

Smash Champion
ace, good idea, I may just do that. besides, the melee ppl will kill it with set-ups therefore they will have pools, although I have a total of 4-5 tvs ready already so that's a good start for brawl. All in all, I want both games in this cause it'll own for the large community.

Gichan

Smash Champion
As in it is really great for the smash community collectively.

So far I'm looking at making this official and seeing how many set ups there will be then consider pools though I would like to have pools in this tournament. We'll see I guess, Euro, would you help with a television?

Gichan

Smash Champion
Look, I wanted this thread to show me how many people would come as the gym I want to rent out would be a very great room to host this tournament if I were to make it both Brawl and Melee. If I have to stick to Amesbury Centre then this will be a brawl only (that would kinda suck...)

Unfortunately, the gym is costly, and therefore I may have to do a venue fee though people may complain and not come (MDK...).

In conclusion, how many people would be okay with a venue fee? Ultimately it comes down to this, please respond people.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Don't forget that the two games need to run separately if you do pools. I *think* you can do both at once with just a bracket >_> Although it would be annoying for those who play both to switch back and forth.

Gichan

Smash Champion
The venue would be $5

And Euro, you don't agree with having a melee singles pools done while Brawl doubles are going? I'm seeing by the sound of it that you think pools will just not work eh? That's sad as it would be awesome for people to get their money's worth.

And now that I think of it, I'll start with Brawl singles and Melee doubles as the melee part will definitely finish first while Brawl does its usual LotR pace to finish.

KingAce

Smash Ace
yo pools would be fine man, as long as their are enough setups it shud be good. The only reason it went so slow at nikos for pools is because there was one pool without a tv, and had to wait until one of the other pools were finished with their tv. Also, the brackets went SO slow because everyone wanted the recordings, honestly I say from now on we just record the semis and onwards instead of every match, so people actually have to get further to get recordings. its not that im against people getting recordded to see how they can do better, its just the grand finals probably could of taken place 1-2 hours earlier and crew battles/friendlies coulda been ran at the end of the day

Switchblade

Smash Journeyman
you do realize how impossible it is to get tvs right? look at bug's tourny thread and tell me how many tvs we have to wii's. which is exactly my point, ive been going to tournaments for the past year and a half and ive been to A LOT of them. and out of all those tournaments, ONLY ONCE was there more tv's to consoles.

this is something to keep in mind

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Nothing against the brawl folks... but honestly, it's usually the Melee players that bring TVs, for ourselves. Also, if we want French attendance we need 30+ melee entrants from Toronto and pools/doubles. I haven't asked Bam yet though, still need to poke him, oh and Kage.

Gichan

Smash Champion
So far I have two tvs to put to this, one from a friend, another 1 or 2 form another friend, and one from yes another. That is already 5 to 6 TVs that we can use for Brawl and I am sure the melee people will pitch in. Then there are the few that will bring a TV, I am seeing a possible huge outcome for this. I think it is very possible for pools but it seems it will not happen. I'll see once I get this thing going, no matter, pools or no pools at least there is something for melee ppl to look forward to.

And Euro, unfortunately, whatever TVs that are brought will be used for both. As I said I will have one Brawl tourney going while there is another melee tourney going. First tourney will be brawl singles and melee doubles, that is official, as singles pools take too much time, we might as well knock those out of the way first.

Top Bottom