• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon's New Year's Resolutions

hyperstation

Smash Lord
I got the idea from the Samus boards, and I liked it.

GANON IN '09
YES WE CAN

I'm exceedingly optimistic about Ganon is 2009. I suppose some of my excitement about Ganon stems from my excitement for Brawl as a whole in 2009. The metagame is starting to see some more exciting competitors work their way out of the low-tier mire and into the margins of tournament viability. Though I in no way think that Ganon is going to become tournament viable, I do think that we have enough great players investigating ways to tweak, accelerate, and add to Ganon's game that we will see some exciting developments in 2009.

Before I make my list of resolutions, I wanted to make a couple shout outs and assemble my 2009 dream team. I lurked these boards for a long time before I joined a few months after my attention shifted from Melee to Brawl, and I'm happy to say that there's a good group of Ganons here and it's been a pleasure working with you all through what was a great 2008. In my opinion, these guys are, for their various reasons, THE guys to watch in 2009.

2009 DREAM TEAM

Favorite Ganon: Ray Kalm
This dude is at the forefront of all things Ganon. My go to guy when looking for a level headed Ganon sounding board for new intel. Kalm probably plays CLEANER than any other Ganon I've seen.

Still the King: Koskinator
I mean really, what do I have to say? He stomps harder, UAirs WAY better, and rips more new as*holes than anyone else.

Mah F*ckin' Boi: Swoops
Ganon on crack. I see a lot of my own Ganon in Swoops' play. He's mad jumpy and buffers EVERYTHING...I mean, he wrote Ganon's guide on (reverse) buffering before most of us knew what the f*ck he was taking about. This is a dude I'm alright with duking it out for the best American Ganon superlative. RESPECT. And dude...pull your thumb out of your butt and get that guide back up. It's one of the best guides I've seen and we've got a lot of new blood coming into the Ganon boards who need somewhere definitive to turn.

Up-and-Coming Ganon: Salty Kracka
Kracka and I have some pretty nice dittos together. In fact, he's probably beaten me more than I've beaten him in the times we've matched up. The reason I'm listing him though is because the guy can read his opponents really quickly. I clanked into his powershield only to get instantly shield grabbed who knows how many times last time we played. And I'll admit it...he 3 stocked me on Delfino and it HURT.

Honorable Mentions: The Muscle Behind the Monster: Gleam, Z1GMA
Both these guys have really impressed me with their hard work. Gleam is a vigilant dude, never stopping in the search for new ways to break down Ganon's move set in inventive ways. Most recently he started pushing forward the idea of reverse pivot grabbing, something I'm stoked about as you'll see in my list of resolutions below. Z1GMA recently posted info about the ACed Ledge->UAir which made me very happy. I spend SO much time using the ledge in this game, so anyone that adds depth to this developing aspect of Ganon's game deserves an honorable mention on my dream team.​

And finally, now that all the tears are shed, let's get down to business.

Below are my top 5 new years resolutions in order. Some are specific, some are generalizations, and some pertain to things yet to be. I hope everyone else takes up the reigns and posts their resolutions so we all know what to look forward to in 2009.

• 5. Get even grosser with UAir. It's Ganon's best move, bar none, and it's usefulness consistently exceeds it's stale move negation. I <3 UAir so much.
  • 4. STOP DSMASHING! My DSmash comes out way too much when I buffer an iDA or a Dtilt. This has to stop.
  • 3. Get really good at Gleam's proposition of the reverse pivot grab to improve Ganon's grab game.
  • 2. Flubber Ganon. I haven't given up on the idea that my Ganon will FLY. I want to hone my FoG skills to the point where I can bounce up at a moments notice. I don't want any other Ganon to look the same as mine in '09.
  • 1. Roll out DAD's Lab, a place where I hope to dissect various aspects of Ganon's game play that I - and hopefully you - are excited to break down to their very minutiae in order to make Ganon as quick, efficient, and deadly as possible in 2009. Not quite a guide, not quite a community wiki. I hope to do this in a way that everyone can be working on different aspects of Ganon's game that they are interested in and can post their findings in an organized fashion so that we might have one place to turn when looking for cutting edge ideas in Ganon's metagame. The first two aspects I'm working on posting soon both revolve around Ganon's ledge game. Ganon's gonna plank in 2009. :)

:034:

Smash Hero
Where the **** is my name? ;__; (the mods will hate me if I censor dodge again) I'm still repping up Ganondorf as pretty much the only Brawl Ganondorf in the Netherlands.

Anyway, resolutions:

1. Go more Ganondorf in tournaments, only switching for a handful of characters.
2. Spamming more on Smashboards. :3
3. Playing more Melee >_>
4. Doing more testing on Ganondorf's speed and IASA frames..
5. Use the Lazenganon more.

stRIP

Smash Ace
1. Hosting an Offline Tournament. I want to win the Final with Ganon only
2. Hope that Ganon gets a bit up in the tierlist..just a bit, the potencial is there
3. Same like Dutchman: MORE MELEE, LESS BRAWLAWL (how cash mooney said xD)
4. Get best Ganon in Europe (FLYING DUTCHMAN I COME!)
5. Own a GOOD Metaknight with Ganon. I will record this and all of u will come!:D

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Aw, your mah f*ckin boi too DAD. LOL, I actually remember giving you sh*t like the first time I responded to you on these boards >.>. Sorry I didn't realize I was talking to a mutha f*cking G.

Ganon guide is back up and operational, need to go into detail with stages, and then I'll add some new amazing sections for everyone to enjoy.

As for resolutions? ummmm...
1. A Ganon tech that puts him at least in middle tier? ...too much?
2. More f-air (seriously, I've been going a bit f-air crazy and it's amazing...f-air destroys yoshi)
3. Hellif
4. I
5. Know

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I spend SO much time using the ledge in this game
So do I ^^

1. More Dtilt.
2. FF the reverse SH Uair if it connects.
3. Gerudo -> instant DA.
4. Wish all Ganons good luck, in finding new stuff.
5. Learn hit canceled Jab out of Jab, or something else that is similar to Falcos Gatling combo >_>'

Gleam

Smash Ace
1. Defitely my whole Reverse Pivot Grabbing. I've been dying to try and test it out on a Wario or Lucas. Seriously being how this drastically increases grab range we may see an...*Advantage* for Ganon. Which says alot.

2. Spacing. I think spacing really helps Ganon out. For one thing, spacing the Jab so that it sweetspots not only deals more damage...duh. But if its powershielded, some characters with short grabs can't do a standing grab on you.

3. FoG also. Seriously we could catch Pits, Yoshis, Snakes, etc all up in the air. There's a slight possiblity we could try to get past those annoying projectiles a little easier.

4. Move Ganon up to at least...5 to last place on the Tier list. My hopes are big...

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
1. Get a better ledge game
2. post vids of my Ganon
3. Make Murder Choke seem like a chain throw
4. finish my combos, and eat my pikmin
5. Use mt knowledge of Olimar to find a way to win against him by being aggressive

yeah vids will be up, but I need to learn how to get back on the stage from the ledge with Uair. I could do it with Ganon in melee but...his *** just got too fat

Blad01

Smash Lord
1. Hosting an Offline Tournament. I want to win the Final with Ganon only
2. Hope that Ganon gets a bit up in the tierlist..just a bit, the potencial is there
3. Same like Dutchman: MORE MELEE, LESS BRAWLAWL (how cash mooney said xD)
4. Get best Ganon in Europe (FLYING DUTCHMAN I COME!)
5. Own a GOOD Metaknight with Ganon. I will record this and all of u will come!:D
You should have played this : http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=3952.

So, me :

1. Host an European Offline Tournament this summer (well, this is not really a resolution, since the project began 3 months ago :p)
2. ****** with Ganondorf in Low Tier tournaments.
3. Learning to buffer perfectly everything from Uair.
4. Picking Ganondorf for G&W, DDD, MK if i've already won the first set.
5. Being the best Ganon in Europe (well that's already the case but nevermind :embarrass). And for that, i also want to **** on AIB Ladder.

TP

Smash Master
One and only one resolution for me. One of us, and I don't care who, needs to make this thread:

Volcancel: the Holy Grail of Ganonry

It needs to be made the second someone finds a way to cancel the volcano kick (Utilt) and it needs to have exactly that title.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
One and only one resolution for me. One of us, and I don't care who, needs to make this thread:

Volcancel: the Holy Grail of Ganonry

It needs to be made the second someone finds a way to cancel the volcano kick (Utilt) and it needs to have exactly that title.
I recently thought about the potential of a Ganon/Fox team. Maybe Fox could put a premium on canceling Ganon's volcano with one laser. It wouldn't knock him back and it wouldn't put him in hit stun. It's not the solution we want, but it just goes to show that I'm thinking about it just as much as you, TP. PLEASE, canceled UTilt in 09.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
My only Ganon resolution is to get better with Ganondorf, to reach that point of his game play where you can't get any better.

Or in other words, get better then the King of Evil.

Gleam

Smash Ace
I have another Resolution. I recently found out that Ganon went up 4 spots on the Character Ranking list (F*** Yeah!) I demand that at the end of this month, we go past Link...or at least Jigglypuff.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
I have another Resolution. I recently found out that Ganon went up 4 spots on the Character Ranking list (F*** Yeah!) I demand that at the end of this month, we go past Link...or at least Jigglypuff.
We will need more tournament goers. Kosk is going this weekend, I believe. I'm not back in NYC right now due to health issues, so I won't be attending any weeklies anytime soon. But let's be honest...even if I was, it's D*MN hard to place in NY with the likes of NL, BUM, D1, etc. My Ganon's good, but I usually get my sh*t handed to me at tournies.

Smash Hero
There's probably gonna be at least one more tourney this month... I was gonna go to one tomorrow, but it got cancelled. ):

Smash Hero
*shakes fist*

I don't even know if Ankoku allows European tournies in his list, so that's another issue n__n

Eiron

Smash Rookie
My list is rather humble.

In no particular order:
Edgeguard with tipmans more
Use ground level Uairs more efficiently
Punish with gerudo more
Actually start incorporating buffering, now that I can do it well.

Renth

Smash Hero
edgeguard with tipmans more... LOL.... you know this is brawl right? and who calls it that anymore roflmaooo hahah ha da dhahhaa

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
Really I want to just place better against the "high-tiers" (which has been happening more often :)

Also, I so wanna do a Murder Fist recovery KO- that just looks tooooooo good

Top Bottom