• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Super Armor on WP is more of a nerf than a buff. actually.
I don't agree. The faster speed would make it more usable now. The attack would more often be used so the super armour would trade moves, and, again, the faster speed would allow that.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I don't agree. The faster speed would make it more usable now. The attack would more often be used so the super armour would trade moves, and, again, the faster speed would allow that.
So it got a bit faster, but you can still see it coming from miles away.
Ganon can now be hit before and after the WP. (assuming the SA-window is big enough)

I'm not gonna lie, though. In all seriousness, SA on WP sounds pretty good.
I'd say it's both a buff and a nerf at the same time.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
Ganon can now be hit before and after the WP. (assuming the SA-window is big enough)

well at least now if we press B by accident it wont be just free hit and the opponent will have to move away and wait for the move to finish and if the super armor window is long enough we can act before we can get punished so I guess that go

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
Anybody know if his grab range still trash? by that I don't mean just horizontal but vertical as well? I hope is range is better I think all slow big characters need a good grab range to counter-act how bad they do with shield pressure and Ganon is no exception.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546

The move cannot be worse if the move was only usable in the air as a recovery option in Brawl. And Ganon was able to get hit both before and after the punch in Brawl too.

I've been watching a couple of games, and although it is too early to judge, I would say that the move has at least some use on the ground now. It still seems like a bad move, but, I believe, it will have more drastic in game viability now.

Think of the reverse Warlock punch aerial with super armour.

Last edited:

Oort

Smash Cadet
All I can think of is ganondorf stabbing through villager's balloons with his sword in an unholy display of gimpage. Probably extremely impractical, but damn would that be awesome.

In terms of actual practicality I think there may be more situations besides shield breaks and that weird recovery thing (why does that even work, anyway?) where using warlock punch might actually be a good choice, even if it's still a bad idea to use it for no reason. Have we confirmed that it gives super armor in the air too?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
And Ganon was able to get hit both before and after the punch in Brawl too.
Ye, but at least when hit before the move in Brawl, Ganon flinches, thus not suffering additional garantueed damage.

Now in ssb4, if the SA-window is big, a smart player with good reflexes could potentially hit Ganon with a tilt during startup, wait for him to throw the punch, and hit him afterwards as well.

If the SA-window is small, however (like only active during the actual punch), it would be fantastic.

I guess a big window would be sweet when using it for recovery, though.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I can see what you're saying, but the move seems too fast for a player to hit the super armour and then the ending lag, considering that you would use the move as prediction.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Hmm, ye. perfectly timed and spaced, it could prove dangersous with that SA in some situations, I guess.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I think, with the Super Armor, and it's new speed, WP can now be moved to "virtually useless" in 1 v 1 's to "super stylish and for the most skilled players"

Seriously, if you can out smart a player, it may be able to work. But it's still a slow attack, so it's hard to use effectively.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
In case no one else's seen it:

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Ganondorf_(SSB4)

Doubt it's exhaustive. But still, I think aside from the DAir nerf (which isn't so much insulting to his gameplay as it is to his character), they gave Ganon almost exactly what he needed. Good keep-away jab, better punishment options. Imo, one of the single greatest obstacles Ganon had in Brawl was his inability to punish apart from hard-reads. FTilt came out far too slowly, and his jab didn't so **** for punishes. After a GUA, Ftilt had to be buffered <perfectly> to catch them before their first active frames. Not to mention, assuming the roll data remains unchanged for the most part, those who are vulnerable to Gerudo > FTilt no longer beg the question of how fast they get up, but simply if they've got a big enough hitbox. Not to mention, more kill potential from FTilt is great, too.

Any Ganon who's played a person competent in the MU knows how frustrating it is to land kill moves.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I just remembered this. I wonder if anyone has posted this yet? It's about Ganondorf, so it's relevant. Sort of. :joyful:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The guys on the CT stream just said Ganon feels like a new character. Why oh why are there not more videos?
'Cause there's a thread for that and because Ganondorf doesn't want his secrets known? It took a lot of Rupees to convince him to let me show that Dove commercial. :p

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Once we get the Wii U version, when I can stream it, I will DEDICATE a good few hours to Ganondorf.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
So guys, after watching some Mario game play, I'm a smidgen worried that Ganondorf might get wrecked senseless by him.

Dem combo's. It's going to be a free 70 odd percent on us from an utilt.

Oh dear.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So guys, after watching some Mario game play, I'm a smidgen worried that Ganondorf might get wrecked senseless by him.

Dem combo's. It's going to be a free 70 odd percent on us from an utilt.

Oh dear.
Mario always could do that. And it's not completely free. It requires setup given Mario's combos aren't completely reliable at 0.

What's more important is that he has to work harder to edgeguard Ganon's low recovery due to anti-edgehog mechanics.

Last edited:

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone figured out how his Super armor work? This seems like one of his most powerful buffs.
Is it only during the punch animation? How much can he endure?

Today I saw someone trying to punish a dedede's up b with him by jumping/blocking. I'd simply charge Warlock, calculating in a way the Up B would be absorbed by the super armor.

Forlorn Penguin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ForlornPenguin
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Assuming that the SA lasts throughout the attack, or even at least just up to the first active frame, you could potentially use it to eat an attack that your opponent is forced to commit to (like in your example), and punish it for what would very likely be an instant KO.

*EDIT* - I found this video showing Ganondorf getting hit out of Warlock Punch's start up by Donkey Kong's utilt. Check at 0:49. Perhaps the SA doesn't kick in until some later frames in the start up animation.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmbGN077QSw

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Assuming that the SA lasts throughout the attack, or even at least just up to the first active frame, you could potentially use it to eat an attack that your opponent is forced to commit to (like in your example), and punish it for what would very likely be an instant KO.
I mentioned this elsewhere, but the Warlock Punch is indeed going to be used as an attack eater type of move now.

1:46 of this video shows Dorf swallowing Robin's neutral A jabs and then punishing before Robin has an attempt to react.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24464962

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom