• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf Sword Mode for ProjectM

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
perhaps the file size is to large now because of the animations
Ya i tested that and thank god its the issue. That was gona be the first thing I was gona check. Now i have to trim some fat..
Do you guys know wtf the Dx animations are? For example SpecialAirSDxFallCapture
Those animations don't look like anything ive seen in game (not to mention they just look completely ********). Are these important animations or can I get rid of them?

Rage83

Smash Ace
I'd say to cut them down to two frames, in case the game loads them. (Yep, even missing unused animations freeze the game if they're missing)

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
That doesn't make sense...if their unused they why would the game care.

Rage83

Smash Ace
If the animations are loaded. IT WOULD FREEZE because the game would try to load missing data, causing your Wii to scream at you.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Okay, I've made the filesize good enough to have him load up properly in game, but now for some strange reason, whenever i'm in sword mode, the game seems to freeze when he goes from one animation back to his wait animation. I gota get that to work and once I do I'm gona get into balancing and adding my ideas to each move.

In case anyone can help with this.. I think the problem is because the original motion files had removed the original wait animations and the psa set all 3 wait animations to "wait 1" which was edited to look good while holding a sword. I wanted ganon to have his normal animations while not holding the sword, and have the sword wait animation for the sword only so ive re-instated the old animations and added another slot for the sword wait. In psa I added the "If bit is set, change subaction, end if" statement that has been added to other animations in the original file so that the game loads a different sword wait animation so those animations aren't loaded. I may have made a mistake somewhere.. there was also an if statement in the "wait 1" psa file where it says something about showing the article. I put that coding in the SwordWait subaction I created.

I don't know if you can visualize what i just described, but if anyone has any ideas on this shoot me a msg here or a private msg.

Thanks

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Yup theres definitely an issue with the new wait subaction. I don't understand why this is, but it always works to switch to sword mode, but then when performing any other move, going back to the sword wait animation freezes the game. why?

Wigls

Smash Rookie
So you've put in the 'other' section of the wait 1 animation:

If Not Bit is Set: LA-Bit[231]
Change Subaction: [New wait animation subaction number]
End If

There's 3 wait1s in the sword PSA so try redirecting all of them.
And I know it's dumb, but have you remembered to name the wait animation the same in the PSA as you named it in the FitMotion file?
And you might want to leave the generate article 1 in the normal wait animation too with the If Not statement, before redirecting the animation.

That's about everything I can think of.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Okay so ive fixed the freeze by adding an asynchronous timer of 0.1 frames before telling the animation to switch. Now, some new problems...

his one animation wont "move character". when i click the moves character animation flag, he wont move at all. Ive had this issue once before, but it makes no damn sense. Any ideas?

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
Okay so ive fixed the freeze by adding an asynchronous timer of 0.1 frames before telling the animation to switch. Now, some new problems...

his one animation wont "move character". when i click the moves character animation flag, he wont move at all. Ive had this issue once before, but it makes no damn sense. Any ideas?
Hey man, are you doing a double move set? (Sword/fist) if so maybe you should just focus one one. Just have your move set on Ganon an discard the Fist one. I know Ashingda's mod was for both but that's the reason he could not use all the animations he wanted.

On a side note: I know your in the middle of working on your own mod. But could you consider reverting the Bair to 2.2? In Ashingda's mod? I really like 2.3 but I really don't like the new Bair, the floatiness and the fake projectile really mess me up.
Also would you consider making a standalone PSA for 2.3 of just Sword mode? And also changing his grab range/animation and his throws?
I hope I'm not sounding demanding I just feel your the best at this and I would love to see this happen.

Hope you can figure out a way to get your mod working can wait to play it!

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Hey man, are you doing a double move set? (Sword/fist) if so maybe you should just focus one one. Just have your move set on Ganon an discard the Fist one. I know Ashingda's mod was for both but that's the reason he could not use all the animations he wanted.

On a side note: I know your in the middle of working on your own mod. But could you consider reverting the Bair to 2.2? In Ashingda's mod? I really like 2.3 but I really don't like the new Bair, the floatiness and the fake projectile really mess me up.
Also would you consider making a standalone PSA for 2.3 of just Sword mode? And also changing his grab range/animation and his throws?
I hope I'm not sounding demanding I just feel your the best at this and I would love to see this happen.

Hope you can figure out a way to get your mod working can wait to play it!
Well i plan on making the Bair a sword attack

And ya I'm thinking of working on only a sword move set, but I duno.. I actually really think that TP Ganondorf should have a normal as well as a sword move set. Thats what I want from this mod. But this is starting to be a pain in the ass lol. I've made a buncha things work but I have to work on making them work properly now.

I also believe that there should be a separate version of ganondorf based on OOT ganondorf where he has an OOT inspired move set. I know people working on this, and I cant wait to see what they do with it. I'm hoping that when an OOT ganon is finished, I will be able to use the clone engine to add both versions.

So you guys know where I'm at, my move set plan is this:

SpecialN - the attack from his beta version (will be balanced)
SpecialHi - same, but remove some of the gfx
SpecialLw - same animation, but remove some gfx, and speed up the animation, but change the hitboxes (how is yet to be decided but i'm looking to make it used to set up for other moves, and possibly having a sweet spot)
SpecialS - the beta version of SpecialLw, but i want to make it so that the longer you run, the more powerful the attack is. A full charge will be a slower attack and may give ganon invincibility for a short time.

As for his A attacks, i plan on keeping most the same, but here are the changes i plan on making (keep in mind I plan on balancing each attack as well):

Smash F - beta version punch where you can use the sword swing as the second part, will only be able to swing the sword upon contact with the punch.
Smash Up - beta version
Side tilt - back to sparta kick
Up tilt - switching his up smash from 2.3 to this, but will balance it.. it will be much weaker and will be used to set up for other attacks
Down tilt - straight low sword jab, will pop opponents up to set up for attacks
Back air - back to the beta version

Dash animation - back to the older version with the sword down at the side
Dash attack - either a sword jab, or just the body check
Grab animation - similar flame choke animation, but without a dash. I have some cool ideas for this (mainly making it look like darth vaders force choke), and this will also make it so that he holds the victim with his free hand not the sword hand.

I also wana tweak a lottt of the animations to make them look better. I don't like the position of his fingers, hand, and wrist in a lot of them, so I'm going to eventually get around to that. But that will be much later in development.

For now, I've managed to add all the attacks and animations that I want. But I'm just having problems with animation transitions looking funny, and not working properly. Its just going to take me a really long time to troubleshoot all this crap before I can get into properly editing each attack. I may be taking a break for a few days cause its just getting frustrating. Again if anyone else here is liking this mod and is willing to help out with what I'm trying to do, I'd love some help.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
Really like
Well i plan on making the Bair a sword attack

And ya I'm thinking of working on only a sword move set, but I duno.. I actually really think that TP Ganondorf should have a normal as well as a sword move set. Thats what I want from this mod. But this is starting to be a pain in the *** lol. I've made a buncha things work but I have to work on making them work properly now.

I also believe that there should be a separate version of ganondorf based on OOT ganondorf where he has an OOT inspired move set. I know people working on this, and I cant wait to see what they do with it. I'm hoping that when an OOT ganon is finished, I will be able to use the clone engine to add both versions.

So you guys know where I'm at, my move set plan is this:

SpecialN - the attack from his beta version (will be balanced)
SpecialHi - same, but remove some of the gfx
SpecialLw - same animation, but remove some gfx, and speed up the animation, but change the hitboxes (how is yet to be decided but i'm looking to make it used to set up for other moves, and possibly having a sweet spot)
SpecialS - the beta version of SpecialLw, but i want to make it so that the longer you run, the more powerful the attack is. A full charge will be a slower attack and may give ganon invincibility for a short time.

As for his A attacks, i plan on keeping most the same, but here are the changes i plan on making (keep in mind I plan on balancing each attack as well):

Smash F - beta version punch where you can use the sword swing as the second part, will only be able to swing the sword upon contact with the punch.
Smash Up - beta version
Side tilt - back to sparta kick
Up tilt - switching his up smash from 2.3 to this, but will balance it.. it will be much weaker and will be used to set up for other attacks
Down tilt - straight low sword jab, will pop opponents up to set up for attacks
Back air - back to the beta version

Dash animation - back to the older version with the sword down at the side
Dash attack - either a sword jab, or just the body check
Grab animation - similar flame choke animation, but without a dash. I have some cool ideas for this (mainly making it look like darth vaders force choke), and this will also make it so that he holds the victim with his free hand not the sword hand.

I also wana tweak a lottt of the animations to make them look better. I don't like the position of his fingers, hand, and wrist in a lot of them, so I'm going to eventually get around to that. But that will be much later in development.

For now, I've managed to add all the attacks and animations that I want. But I'm just having problems with animation transitions looking funny, and not working properly. Its just going to take me a really long time to troubleshoot all this crap before I can get into properly editing each attack. I may be taking a break for a few days cause its just getting frustrating. Again if anyone else here is liking this mod and is willing to help out with what I'm trying to do, I'd love some help.
Really cool ideas man, can't wait to see it complete. I wish I could help but I have no skill whatsoever with these things.
I was essentially just asking if you can edit Ashingda's 2.3 mod, but I see your pretty deep in your own so just focus on it. Again if you can't work out all the animations you might aswell just have your sword mod by itself with no Fist mode. Unfortunately it might be the only option.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Really like

Really cool ideas man, can't wait to see it complete. I wish I could help but I have no skill whatsoever with these things.
I was essentially just asking if you can edit Ashingda's 2.3 mod, but I see your pretty deep in your own so just focus on it. Again if you can't work out all the animations you might aswell just have your sword mod by itself with no Fist mode. Unfortunately it might be the only option.
I just really don't think any projectiles are appropriate for this version of ganondorf. Thats why I'm re doing a bunch of it. I hope a lot of people agree and like the outcome.

Now, the animations all work fine, im not getting any freezing any more. Its the psa-ing that is giving me problems now. I should be able to get around to making everything work nicely, but it will take time.
And eventually getting to the point of perfecting animations will just me a matter of time. That wont be that difficult, just really time consuming, and i'll have at least posted a "pre release" version before i get to doing that.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
I just really don't think any projectiles are appropriate for this version of ganondorf. Thats why I'm re doing a bunch of it. I hope a lot of people agree and like the outcome.
In my opinion the up tilt and jab attack (I can't remember what version it was) where fine being false projectiles as they both seemed to suit Ganon fine even with it being Tp Ganondorf performing them, as for neutral-B i feel it was better when it was just the backhand with the sword slash follow up but adding the ability to turn around for the sword slash would add some good mind games lol

as for everything else I'd say it was looking really promising with the way everything was coming along and the only thing i think was really needed was balancing and a little polish on some things

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Just a quick update, I'm getting closer to making this work. A bit more troubleshooting and I'll be getting to editing hit bubbles, GFX, SFX and other good stuff. I don't know how long this will take, it depends on how many problems I run into along the way, but I'll keep you posted. I hope you guys end up liking my build.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Looking forward to it. When I PM'd you about it, I had no idea you'd take it upon yourself to keep up Ashingda's work, even as an offshoot. Keep it up man :)

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Ive managed to fix most of the problems Ive been encountering. Right now I need to perfect the way a bunch of animations work so they look nice n smooth. And one weird issue I'm getting is with the sword out when ganon goes from any walk animation to a wait animation, he does it without a proper transition animation. It's very minor, but it bothers the hell outa me! Anyway that isnt one of my main issues for the moment, but if anyone knows why this might be happening let me know.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
idea: give his sword f-smash a reflect hitbox similar to ness and lucas. this would make him even more canon. maybe it could only reflect energy projectiles for optimal canon-ocity
not a bad idea.. ill see what i can do with that

Diraga

Smash Cadet
Is Sword-mode supposed to be balanced? It seems extremely over-powered, but it's a lot of fun and makes Ganondorf unique.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Is Sword-mode supposed to be balanced? It seems extremely over-powered, but it's a lot of fun and makes Ganondorf unique.
I def think its currently over powered. I'm working on another version and am balancing it.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
Hey BronzeGod, do you have any update for us? I keep coming back every few hours to see if you post something lol.

Also if you can make Ashingda's 2.3 compatible with 3.01?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Hey BronzeGod, do you have any update for us? I keep coming back every few hours to see if you post something lol.

Also if you can make Ashingda's 2.3 compatible with 3.01?
**** 3.01 is out now? I missed that somehow lol, ive been busy I guess... i hope this doesnt give me problems. Does Ashingdas latest version not work with 3.01?
If not, I don't think I'll be able to make that work. I don't know how to make the sword stick to his hand when he pulls it out so I won't be able to do that to the newest version of Ganondorf.

As for updates, don't expect one any time soon. I have made a lottt of progress with what i've been working on. Right now everything is actually working (as far as I know). All I need to do is work on how I want each attack to work. This will be time consuming, and I'm gona be busy the next little while, but I will be working on it as much as possible.

If this doesnt work with 3.01 i will be really upset though :(

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I dont know if hes coming back.. I don't feel like updating to 3.01 yet, i don't wana go through the trouble cause i don't think the changes are significant enough for me to bother.

but can anyone confirm with me if this 2.3 build of sword ganon works with P:M 3.01 or does it break the game?

Rage83

Smash Ace
From the 3.01 changelist:
-Ganondorf always wins when he suicides with Side B
-Up/down aerial item throw animation heights have been adjusted
-Aerial Down B can be edgecanceled

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I dont know if hes coming back.. I don't feel like updating to 3.01 yet, i don't wana go through the trouble cause i don't think the changes are significant enough for me to bother.

but can anyone confirm with me if this 2.3 build of sword ganon works with P:M 3.01 or does it break the game?
He did say he will come back in like 3 months and I hope he does cause having your version and his version to play around with would be awesome.

I haven't gotten the chance to install 3.01 yet but I'll test it soon. The only changes Ganon got is aerial Down B edge cancel able and Ganonside on last stoke always wins for Ganon, and item throw up/down has been tweaked so think 2.3 probably doesn't break the game, yet....

Edit - got ninjad

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
AH MANN!!!!!!!!
this is such hard work and itll be so hard to transfer over. I mean first of all i'd need someone to attach the sword to the new 3.01 ganon hand bone, and thennn Id have to do all the transferring if that gets done..
Does anyone know who did the sword thing in the previous versions?

Kes

Smash Cadet
I came in to ask a question. I am enjoying the sword Ganon in the OP. I would really like to make the sword into his Melee sword since I'm using a Melee costume, but I cannot figure out how to using any of the Melee Ganons I found on the vault. They seem to cause Ganondorf to T-Pose after switching with taunt.

BelmontSlayer

Smash Cadet
Anyone know if Ver. 2.3 still works in 3.02 yet? I'd confirm for myself but I don't have access to an sd card reader at the moment.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
For all you guys patiently waiting for me to update this, im getting closer n closer to my goal. Its still gona probably take a couple weeks more to complete, i dont have a release date down at all, but theres lotsa progress being made! just so u know :p

Top Bottom