• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
Pikachu for familiar controls and busted D-smash. That thing racks up more damage than Melee's Peach D-Smash.
Pikachu's stun ability seems to have become more broken than his previous Dsmash in Melee,but compared to Peach's Dsmash is totally far sided.Peach's Dsmash was a beast in Melee.Ashame they nerfed it.T^T

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Another character that I have been thinking would be absolutely killer in this type of tourney is DK! He seems like one of the faster slow characters to me that would be able to get items quicker than say Ike and DDD but still packs a punch, what do you guys think?
I don't know much about Brawl DK, but from what I hear he has been improved slightly, and he is supposedly pretty good. It's hard to say with so little details; however, if you were good with DK in Melee then you are set, cause he plays very very similar to how he used to.

[NEW OFFTOPIC PORTION OF POST]
What you don't realize, rather, what you REFUSE to realize, is that tournament play is NOT, and WILL NOT EVER make one person better than another.
*sigh* Let me spell it out to you again. If you don't go to tournaments you will never be the best. Competitive players go to tournaments all the time to play new people, learn new things, and learn how to handle stress better. If you were friends with a group of smashers who went to tournaments all the time and played with them a lot and kept up with the metagame and stuff, you would get good, but you wouldn't be as good as you could have been if you went to tournaments. Even still, one reason why the group you were with got that good was because of the tournaments they went to, and one reason one could theoretically get good like in this example is because that experience would rub off onto them.
Tournament play is simply a way of proving the skill you already have. Can you pick up new methods and skills this way? Yes, its possible. But without playing with the person you are competing against for an extended amount of time, its not likely.
I've never been to a tournament that didn't have friendlies prior to, during, and after the tournament. Now I have already spelled out how the actual matches themselves are training, due to the fact that you have to focus, keep your cool, and still perform at your best, you don't learn that much in an actual "match," but these things aren't what I'm talking about. The friendly matches you play with all the people accumulated at the tournament, the advice you get from better players, the first hand experience with others of a different playstyle, these are all things that come from attending tournaments.
Another thing you assume is that unless you compete in a tournament environment, you'll never meet another high calibur player.
I don't assume this, it's just that it's highly unlikely. Also, if you aren't very good, they probably wouldn't play with you all that much, because of the skill gap. So if they did play with you, it would be either **** and leave you be, or they would try to give you advice and help you out. I tend to do the former, and have been to the people of my area that were new to smash.
This is another grave mistake on your part. I don't know what get togethers you attend, but every year at Anime Weekend Atlanta we have a Melee tournament and a room devoted to the game that's used for more casual matches before the tourney starts. Many of the absolute best players I've been around don't even compete officially, and last year I beat 2 of the people who went on to place 2nd and 3rd.
I found a list of players who have won AWA's Melee tournament:
AWA history of champs-
Brian-Samus
Aura-Fox
Kiba-? DocMarthCF????
Mike G

Of these I know Aura and MikeG. MikeG was one of the best Peach players of all time. AuraFox was a fox player from TN that was really ****ing good that nobody really knew about. I don't know who Brian and Kiba are admittedly; however, I would assume that they were some lesser known players in the area that were competitive. I don't know much about the Atlanta scene as I used to, as I was really close to those guys when my crew was active. Since then there have been tons of new guys. They also could have been some of the earlier winners too, which is understandable.
I dunno where the guy who placed 1st was, I guess he didn't come until later. But I faced off against a group of 3 others who didn't compete either and we had one of the fiercest 2v2 I've ever played in my life.
Personal experience without any names isn't much evidence to support any argument.
This is what I'm talking about. You deny coming down on those you deem casual, but in a roundabout way say that only those that choose to play the tourney style are the upper echelon.
What? I said people who consistently go to tournaments are better than those who aren't. They are in the upper echelon of smashers. If you took a random sampling from any other community and placed them with a random sampling of competitive players the competitive players would win. It's such a basic concept that has been proven over and over and over that it just isn't funny.
All I can say is you're wrong. Your method of thinking is wrong, and as such you are going to miss out on the majority of what Brawl really has to offer.
You have provided no real actual evidence to support your claims. You use personal experiences and stuff... that is far from conclusive, and there is no way you can support that data other than your word. Meanwhile, this site is chocked full of tournament results from all over the globe showing top players winning consistently, and the only upsets come from other competitive players. Why is my way of thinking wrong? Why do you think so highly of people who aren't actively seeking competition to the point of at least trying to attend a few tournaments every now and then?

That said, why the hell would I miss out on Brawl for thinking this way? The craziest thing that could happen is that there are some new players that make some upsets, but because of this community even I would know about it and I would take what those guys have to offer and add it to my skillset.
Thinking about it now, I don't hate you so much as I pity you.
That's nice, I don't care enough to pity you. I'll play you when Brawl comes around, and apparently you have been to AWA, so why don't you come to Momocon? It's on the weekend after Brawl comes out. Search it in google, you can find it's site very easily. I'd like to see you there, then we can fight out our different points of view in a good match. Up for a $10 money match?

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
I don't know much about Brawl DK, but from what I hear he has been improved slightly, and he is supposedly pretty good. It's hard to say with so little details; however, if you were good with DK in Melee then you are set, cause he plays very very similar to how he used to.
yeah i didnt play him in melee but my friend did. just an idea to through out there

goth

Smash Rookie
Im entering this tournament as a complete noob of brawl. Not only have i never played it, but I usually get on this site on from work, which means that i am oblivious to youtube / good players movies. I'm stuck with the terribble one minute vids on gamestop. Although I only have 1 post, I am not a noob to melee or of this site, i just never write posts....I just go through and read through threads. But on to my question. In Melee I can basically play as anyone but i would say my favorite would be link. I was planning as playing link in the tournament, but i just found out that his spin doesn't spike opponents anymore and i've also read everyones advice on ike. My question is....Should I stick with Link or should I try Ike. Btw I know nothing of Ike. How does he play compared to Marth-Melee? Sorry So Long, Appreciate an Answer. Thx.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVtv8Pu8SEE

Here you go.The best DK I could find.Not bad actually.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
Im entering this tournament as a complete noob of brawl. Not only have i never played it, but I usually get on this site on from work, which means that i am oblivious to youtube / good players movies. I'm stuck with the terribble one minute vids on gamestop. Although I only have 1 post, I am not a noob to melee or of this site, i just never write posts....I just go through and read through threads. But on to my question. In Melee I can basically play as anyone but i would say my favorite would be link. I was planning as playing link in the tournament, but i just found out that his spin doesn't spike opponents anymore and i've also read everyones advice on ike. My question is....Should I stick with Link or should I try Ike. Btw I know nothing of Ike. How does he play compared to Marth-Melee? Sorry So Long, Appreciate an Answer. Thx.

Well you not ganna be that much of a n00b because not allot of people have played brawl yet. Ike is SLOW but POWERFUL, link on the other hand is faster but has a hard time killing from what i could see in vids. So if i were you i would go with Ike like alot of us. The big negative that Ike has is that he is VERY SLOW like SLOWER than bowser SLOW. . . so he may have some difficulty grabbing items to fling at people but his positives are VERY good.

1) He has Super armer (When he is in the middle of a move and someone hits him he wont stop the move he will continue the move and take the damage)

2) His moves have a TON of knock back ( like dang you just killed someone at 40% with that F-smash)

3) His recovery is Alright (Its kinda like Falco's in melee where he can go horizontal with his over- B move and up and slightly to the side with his up - b move)

goth

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice, Ill take that into consideration. Another question about it. So is it confirmerd that items will be on? And Sudden Death? Sorry I only read the first 5 or 6 pages of this thread...

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
3) His recovery is Alright (Its kinda like Falco's in melee where he can go horizontal with his over- B move and up and slightly to the side with his up - b move)
His recovery is actually pretty stellar if he is coming from above. His >B move covers A LOT of ground. The problem is that his recovery sucks when he is coming from below. He can also be gimped by some characters if you get trapped at the bottom of the level. You just have to keep that in mind with him as you play, it's not a huge issue, especially at Round 1.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
Thanks for the advice, Ill take that into consideration. Another question about it. So is it confirmerd that items will be on? And Sudden Death? Sorry I only read the first 5 or 6 pages of this thread...
Unfortunately that is confirmed in the rules.However most gamestops in the states will not be using it and will use rules their competitors will be used to.(example:My local gamestop will let us use and bring our own gamecube controllers and possibly do a three stocked match throughout the tournament.)

goth

Smash Rookie
My local gamestop will let us use and bring our own gamecube controllers and possibly do a three stocked match throughout the tournament.)
That sucks. I talked to my gamestops manager and he's going to use wiimote /nunchuck. Thats what Im the most worried about.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice

It depends on the gamestop you will have to call up the one you are going to to find out the info you need. I would suggest waiting a few days before calling them though because I just called mine and they are i guess trying to get more info from who ever is in charge. All the info i know is on the front page, and as soon as i know more about it i will add more info.

goth

Smash Rookie
His recovery is actually pretty stellar if he is coming from above. His >B move covers A LOT of ground. The problem is that his recovery sucks when he is coming from below. .
What is Ikes up Recovery? I heard that he throws the sword up and slams it down. Is that what it is? So is it like kirbys from melee? And what exactly does he do with his >b? Sorry for the ignorance.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
Might as well prepare for it.My gamestop manager didn't make any promises.What happens happens I guess.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
What is Ikes up Recovery? I heard that he throws the sword up and slams it down. Is that what it is? So is it like kirbys from melee? And what exactly does he do with his >b? Sorry for the ignorance.
It's actually very similar to Kirby's recovery. The main differences being that he has super armor and that his doesn't shoot a slash out of it.

Ike's side B is a charging dash attack, kinda like Luigi + Pika; however, it's better suited for recovery because there is seemingly no lag afterwards, so you aren't as vulnerable. It's distance is quite large too.

goth

Smash Rookie
That sounds good. Im really excited about this tournamen (despite the crappy rules) I've always wanted to participate in smash tourneys but I live in the middle of nowhere.
BTW--Is there anything that I should know about the Levels?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
BTW--Is there anything that I should know about the Levels?
I would look up the stages if you aren't familiar with them somewhat. It would be a good idea to try and see if you could talk your opponent into picking stages as opposed to going all out random, so you will need to know which stages are more neutral than others, as well as the hazards on most of the stages.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Do Ice Climber's still rock in item matches? I completely forgot that they were in the starting roster!

Something to consider maybe?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Do Ice Climber's still rock in item matches? I completely forgot that they were in the starting roster!
I've heard next to nothing about them. All I know is that they found a way to desync with them so he should still be good. I wouldn't recommend them if you weren't really good with them in melee, they were a quirky duo.

gooseman

Smash Cadet
As I said, your method of thinking is wrong to ASSume that only those who compete in tournies have the opportunity to become the best. Some of the absolute best Smashers I've known have no taste for the scene, myself included.

This may be a bit hard for you to imagine given your point of view, but imagine walking into a real life version of this forum and you'll understand why many people simply have no patience for it. My best friend, who is the best Kirby I've played in SSB and one of the best Marths I know of in Melee competed and placed in some Atlanta tournament back in... I wanna say 2004. His experience was so unreal at the thing that he said he'd never do it again, and it was only until I decided to compete at a few local ones that I understood why.

Honestly, I just don't know what else to tell you. The more this goes on, the more convinced I am that not only are you living in a dreamworld, but you'll say anything to keep yourself from waking up.

To derail this thing further off topic:

Have you been to Momocon before, Mookie? I have. It was the 2nd con I went to right after AWA 11. It was an unorganized mess, and one of the worst trips to Atlanta I've made. And I've had some ******** trips to Atlanta.

gooseman

Smash Cadet
Also, it seems /v/ has detected my activity. For the love of FU<K, if they start posting here, don't go posting there as it will only make things worse.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Man, this threads exploded since I left it.
I haven't read like the last 10 pages(seeing as how it was just going in circles about a stupid argument and over sensitive people) so forgive me if I ask or re-state something that's already been said.

Anyway, up until recently, I was positive that I would be using Ike in the tournament, but then with more consideration , I was thinking maybe Pit would be a better (or just as good) of a choice.

He has a great projectile.
Can rack up damage fast (especially if someone doesn't know how to DI properly out of his sideB)
Greatest recovery and is still medium weight.
Can reflect Items with his mirror and is fairly fast enough to run after items too
And, his lack of kill moves can be covered by item throwing (that or I can use his Bair).

I'm not saying Ike doesn't have a lot going for him but, seeing as Pit too has lots of Pros and, I come from maining a fast moving/attacking character (Sheik) would Pit be my better option?

Off Topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVtv8Pu8SEE

Here you go.The best DK I could find.Not bad actually.
That is the first time in all of my smash background that I have ever seen a Fox lose to DK.

And, why is gooseman still here? Didn't his little /v/ trolling for the lulz attempt fail already?
Is that money match going to happen at lest?

Met

Smash Ace
As I said, your method of thinking is wrong to ASSume that only those who compete in tournies have the opportunity to become the best. Some of the absolute best Smashers I've known have no taste for the scene, myself included.
Right.... and if they were to compete vs m2k or azen they would get schooled. And you probably suck at the game. So thats why they are some of the best you played.

look i don't understand why casual players complain so often. I never go up to casual players and tell them that they play the game wrong. But it happens to me all the time.

When you consistently play with the cream of the crop you will become better then people who don't. It doesn't have anything to do with smash, that is just a fact of life. Don't be a idiot.

S2

Smash Lord
Unless you've played Brawl, be careful who you pick.

I'm going to play Olimar, but I've played Brawl before. I'd never recommend him to a player who was playing Brawl for the first time... because he's a character that would be hard to know wtf you're doing in the first minute of ever playing Brawl.

Be prepared to get knocked out by something stupid like an item. I'd recommend characters who are fast and can get early kills.

Don't expect to play Meta and win unless you get an item or your opponent SDs. He's good for damage and priority, but tough to get the actual KO with, especially given the time constraints.

X Megadragon

Smash Cadet
I'll probably use ZSS/Samus. Depends on the character the other guy picks, <.<. If it's someone ZSS has an advantage over, I'll just hold the R button. Else, I'll use Samus. [/evilplot]

Muahaha.

goth

Smash Rookie
Well the bounds of casul players and Pros will be determined with online. It'll probably be like when I played halo online for the first time. Thought i was great at the game before that...

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
1. You're a ****ty melee player.

2. You're a cocky, ****ty melee player.

3. ****ing stop derailing the topic with your ignorant ****.

Dash canceling is canceling the "stop running" animation by using the "start crouching" animation. However, with the reduced lag of unshielding, you can always try that.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=upLXveFz_rY
Dash Canceling is the technique (in Melee) in which you hit Down on the Control Stick to immediately stop dashing without suffering the "tethering"-animation in which you stopped dashing.

It is gone.
The question was "are you sure it's cut?" not "what is dash canceling?" but thanks for putting that useless info in there anyways. I could have sword I did it in Brawl though. Maybe I was on crack.

Yeah, its not fair to the OP when we are trying to discuss ways to win the EXTREMELY AWESOME ONE MINUTE MATCHES.

I'm going to be Ike and spam jabs and tilts. It's fairly easy to predict rolls from a new player.

Here's a situation that almost always works against newer players:

When you get your opponent off the stage, you can most likely determine if they are going to recover on the stage or grab the ledge. You want to force them to grab your ledge so you can demonstrate your ability to read people.

Now, your opponent is on the ledge. All you need to do is start walking towards the ledge, then start charging a forward smash away from the ledge. When your opponent sees you coming, they are going to assume that rolling past you is the best way to get back on the stage. However, if you start charging your forward smash while they start rolling, you get a free fsmash in while making it look like you just outwitted your opponent.

Granted, this might not work on everyone. But I've been testing my strategy against players who didn't play Melee competitively (not trying to stereotype) and it works like all the time. Same with just walking towards your opponent on the ground. They will most likely roll past you. If you can see that coming, it should be easy to win a 1 minute match.

And that's why I'm going Ike, despite my mains being D3 and Jiggs. Ike can punish rollers so badly and can kill at low percent.
Reposting this. Great advice and so simple too.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
I'm having trouble deciding between ZSS, Olimar, and Lucas... Hmm.
Lucas would be your best bet for 3 reasons. First, you can practice with Ness in Melee to get used to the general style. Second, Olimar and ZSS are somewhat difficult to pick up. Third, Lucas is a pretty **** good character. His up smash ***** and his PK fire is spammable.

Angry Aipom

Smash Rookie
Darn it! I just signed up for the tournament today so I'm all set to go. I found out the rules, Battlefield only with Wii mote and Nunchuck controllers, I heard nothing about items, so far everything I'm ok with. Unfortunatly I thought that my Gamestop would have 1 vs. 1 which is my specialty. I just learned that we were have free for alls on Battlefield. I "might" have to change my stratedgy. I think stealing kills with DK is my best bet. What do you guys think? Thing is though that I have 3 different opponents to worry about so I might want to go to Mario so I can hopefully combo them into oblivion, and use the cape to stop recoveries. Considering I only have a minute to get the most kills as possible, what do you guys think?

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
About JTB Fsmash mindgame suggestion.

It's a good idea. Something I use a lot when playing repetitive players.
Still, I always opted to use Dsmash instead, seeing as it covers both sides so, if they pull something slightly different you can still hit them.
That and Dsmashes usually have less lag then Fsmashes so even if they jump up from ledge and try to attack with a aerial , you can get your shield out fast enough to block and maybe shield grab.
I know it works in Melee for most characters, not sure about Brawl though.

Yeah, it's crazy what other players can do when Fox isn't twitching around at a billion miles per hour.
I like you. Your post make me laugh.

No, I'm not laughing with you.
:)

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice

This may be a bit hard for you to imagine given your point of view, but imagine walking into a real life version of this forum and you'll understand why many people simply have no patience for it. My best friend, who is the best Kirby I've played in SSB and one of the best Marths I know of in Melee competed and placed in some Atlanta tournament back in... I wanna say 2004. His experience was so unreal at the thing that he said he'd never do it again, and it was only until I decided to compete at a few local ones that I understood why.

Honestly, I just don't know what else to tell you. The more this goes on, the more convinced I am that not only are you living in a dreamworld, but you'll say anything to keep yourself from waking up.

To derail this thing further off topic:

Have you been to Momocon before, Mookie? I have. It was the 2nd con I went to right after AWA 11. It was an unorganized mess, and one of the worst trips to Atlanta I've made. And I've had some ******** trips to Atlanta.

Your beginning to annoy me.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
The gamestop guys told me to sign up for the tourney online. Where exactly do i sign up?
No you cant sign up online, you sign up at the Gamestop you want to go to. Some gamestops require you to have a preorder for brawl though. Also some gamestops i hear are taking sign ups right now but others will be waiting till the day of the tournament.

gooseman

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I'm a $h!tty Melee player because I ditched the tournament scene. Oh the shame.

I think I'll cry myself to sleep right after a mop up another round of tourneytards over wi-fi like I've done since Smash 64.

Moron.

I swear to god, I keep hearing the original Pokemon intro theme in my head everytime I see someone say "You must journey fourth, across the nation to become the worlds greatest SMASH MASTER!!"

Also, QQ moar. Your tears taste like cotton candy.

DragoonXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
DragoonXD
Yeah, even though I signed up, they still told me to be there early. When my friend went 2 days ago, there were already 20 or so people signed up ><

pud22

Smash Apprentice
i dunno if any1 said this already but u will b playin melee not brawl on March 8th, i just went in there and talkd 2 the staff.

Top Bottom