• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Going to tournaments doesn't make you a better player. It simply gives you a place to learn. Its like taking piano lessons vs teaching yourself. It might be faster, or maybe more efficient, but it certainly isnt the only way.
It's more like playing basketball with your brother in your driveway vs. playing in a competitive league. Sure, you might develop a decent jumpshot in your driveway, but you won't likely gain the experience or understanding of the game that you would need to compete at a higher level that way.

Have you ever played in high level Smash tourneys? You really have to play those guys to understand how fast they move and how smart they play, and you have to play them for a long time if you want to wrap your brain around their playstyles and develop adaptive counter-strategies. If you are a self-taught Smasher who has proven himself on par with the pros then congrats, but things like that don't happen too often.

If you think that imitating youtube videos will cut it you're wrong. You THINK you're playing like an experienced pro until you actually play one and find how much better, faster and smarter they are. Again-- if you've been able to back up your words in a legit competitive setting then I'm impressed. Have you?

fuuzball317

Smash Apprentice
By playing in tournaments you are able to realize how good you are on a larger scale. Tournaments allow also to play opponents who are better and will also give you more of a challenge and allow you to learn more than just playing the same people all the time.

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
By playing in tournaments you are able to realize how good you are on a larger scale. Tournaments allow also to play opponents who are better and will also give you more of a challenge and allow you to learn more than just playing the same people all the time.
well, im certainly not denying the tournaments are fun and a great test of skill. you have me there.

It's more like playing basketball with your brother in your driveway vs. playing in a competitive league. Sure, you might develop a decent jumpshot in your driveway, but you won't likely gain the experience or understanding of the game that you would need to compete at a higher level that way.

Have you ever played in high level Smash tourneys? You really have to play those guys to understand how fast they move and how smart they play, and you have to play them for a long time if you want to wrap your brain around their playstyles and develop adaptive counter-strategies. If you are a self-taught Smasher who has proven himself on par with the pros then congrats, but things like that don't happen too often.

If you think that imitating youtube videos will cut it you're wrong. You THINK you're playing like an experienced pro until you actually play one and find how much better, faster and smarter they are. Again-- if you've been able to back up your words in a legit competitive setting then I'm impressed. Have you?
im not saying i will be as good as the pros, certainly not by imitating them (which i dont do). And im not trying to talk about my skill here either (i can do that when brawl comes out ^_^)

What i am trying to say though, is that the line that is put up between competitive and casuals is not as black and white as people think. Its slightly blue, with pink polka dots.

Once again though, at that point can you call yourself a casual Smasher? While you may not go to tourneys, by following the metagame, watching combo videos, and fervently trying to improve your game, you are a competitive player. All arguments made regarding the predictability of casual Smashers are made about casual Smashers. The people in the scenario you've described are not casual Smashers. I still hold that they will not have advanced their game sufficiently to do well at any proper tournament should they ever attend.
youre quite possibly right. So competitive player =/= tournament player. i can live with that.

goodnight folks

fuuzball317

Smash Apprentice
well, im certainly not denying the tournaments are fun and a great test of skill. you have me there.

im not saying i will be as good as the pros, certainly not by imitating them (which i dont do). And im not trying to talk about my skill here either (i can do that when brawl comes out ^_^)

What i am trying to say though, is that the line that is put up between competitive and casuals is not as black and white as people think. Its slightly blue, with pink polka dots.

youre quite possibly right. So competitive player =/= tournament player. i can live with that.
i actually completely agree with this statement, I think its stupid that people are classified as elite or eve pro when there are so many people out there playing smash. Brawl online hopefully will make things clearer though.

Shou

Smash Cadet
Beat up those casual players. That's the strategy and the win, right?

Shou

Smash Cadet
Not quite. You forgot about abusing the terrible rule set.
AH YES ABUSE **** LIKE MAD. Do it. Do it. I said DO IT. SPAM THAT THROW. Chainchainchainchainchain "I give up! Don't hurt me Mr. Better guy." ...Who ever said I was better?! "DEATH!"

....Excuse me. I burped.

SUPAH EDIT: I'm really excited for Brawl.

Shou

Smash Cadet
Oh okay.

What a gay rule.
However, you should call your Gamestop to see if they wouldn't mind changing it to the Gamecube controllers. One of the members..(Too lazy to go back and get the name) checked and they were using gamecube controllers for comfort issues. It's always good to check.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
My gamestop is doing a tournament all day Saturday.

Woo hoo Wiimote + Nunchuk -_-

HenshinHero

Smash Apprentice
The Gamestop in my hometown are hosting a tourney for melee all day Saturday and then the Brawl Tourney. But the Gamestop where I'm from said they are providing Gamecube controllers, but I'm not sure if all rounds will be this way taking into consideration how many people show up of if something unexpected comes up.

So I guess I better learn how to use the Wiimote. just in case.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Sweet! I'm going to be attending the Prudential Center in Boston for this tournament (Having practiced at this game along with my friends since the 2nd day of its release, I shouldn't have problems unless everybody else did the same thing as us =/).

Anybody else attending this one? I've invited the two players (also amazing melee veterans) that I've played with, and although we're going to have to practice using the wiimote+nunchucks just for this tournament, I'm pretty confident things will go

just
as
planned
>=D

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
A fighting game's fanbase tends to break down into 4 major catagories. You have the casual type, who play sometimes and don't attend tournaments. The hardcore type, who play often with great skill, and don't attend tournaments. The scrubs, who aren't very good but attempt to prove something at a tournament level. And the competitive type, who play in tournaments and usually place.
Those aer not the right definitions for Hardcore Gamers and Scrubs, particularly not the one for Scrubs.

Many here often make the mistake of assuming that just because someone plays in tournaments often that they are better than a non-tournament going hardcore vet. I can tell you that I've learned far, FAR more from playing against people in a non-tournament environment than I ever have otherwise, because you are far more likely to meet a broader range of people that way.
Those people are idiots.

And also, people who play in tournament environments have most likely played a broader range of competitive people than people who don't and that's the most important group of people to play to become "good". Non-competitive gamers will not know the current meta-game and therefore not know "the right way" to play and not play.

You can play 200 casuals but if I play 20 competitives, I will most likely have learned more from that. Because those 20 competitive gamers are more likely to possess techniques and strategies never before seen among the 200 casuals since they go to tournaments and have encountered said strong strategies and techniques.

Questions about Sheik:

People have stated that her F-Air is no longer the kill move as it was in melee, what
are her best kill moves to use? So far, I read to use Nair and Bair and that her Fsmash
was buffed.

Can she still use her tilts excessively?
Fair, Nair and Bair have all been nerfed. Fsmash still sucks (especially with the freeze frames, now easier to DI than ever. Usmash was buffed.

Tilts can still be spammed but there is no dash canceling so you can no longer dash forward and dash cancel into a tilt.

I know I'm going to get an earful for reigniting this argument. I just want to have one question answered, why is there such a huge grudge between these two groups of players?
There is not. Certain casuals just seem to think there is and therefore treat all Competitive players with disdain and as if we've already judged them personally or insulted them beforehand.

The Competitive Gaming World as a whole has nothing against Casuals. Most of us were Casuals at some point. Every tournament has Casuals turning up to enrich it with more players. Some never return, some stay and segue into becoming Competitive Gamers.

There are certain groups of people we dislike, but we do not dislike the Casuals as a group, yet certain Casuals still persist we do just because we might have in some way have talked badly about certain kinds of Casual Gamers like the Scrubs (although a Scrub is not necessarily a Casual, but that is most usually the case).

the grudge stems from the fact that the competitive players have sat in this forum for years, trying to needle down a perfect brawl match in their little cave dwelling. Now more people are becoming interested in the game, and when they voice their opinions, the old cave dwellers are getting light shone upon them (yes .. i guess im taking this from aristotles Republic.) And they are freaking out.
That didn't even make any sense. Are you talking about the incessant whining about Final Smashes and Items in general being on in tournaments from the New Wave of Users? Yeah, you see, we "Competitives" (and many Casuals, even) have made perfectly good and valid arguments against FS:es and Items.

The counterarguments are "But it's more fun and varied!". Next.

They feel that they are the ones who forged the path for what competitive smash is, and they dont want to change it for any of the new players coming in.
We would if it didn't imbalance the game and introduce a lot of randomness.

The cave dwellers feel like, since they were self proclaimed experts of melee, they must be experts of Brawl as well, since brawl should have been Melee 2. (of course, not all of them think this way .. but a majority do). Well ... Brawl wasnt melee 2, so why are the self proclaimed expert cave dwellers still talking as if they pathed the way?
Solution:
You become an expert in Brawl and then you host a tournament and then you set your own rules.

And then I ignored the rest of your post because it was just repeating the same things I've already counter-argued over and over with you ignoring me.

Quick Question: Does rolling from the edge still take the opponents ability to grab the edge for that time?
Yes

I'd beg to differ. This divide between the "casual" and "competitive" crowds has existed for much longer than what your post would imply. It's simply become aggravated as a new wash of Smashers comes to this community to gain information about Brawl.

To say exactly why this divide began is difficult and there's certainly blame on both sides. To be as general as possible, it's simply human nature. There exists a group of people who aligns with a certain viewpoint. They do not call this viewpoint into question until a new one is brought up. From simply having lived with their own for so long they immediately cast aside this new viewpoint and steadfastly defend their own. Neither viewpoint is wrong, they're just different.
Once again, the divide is mostly imagined by the Casual Players and the New Wave (the ones who just joined recently).

We "Competitives" as a whole have nothing against the Casual Gamers. We have something against stupidity. Like certain people running around arguing time and again that we should have Items and/or Final Smashes on in tournaments arguing that it would be "more fun and varied", yet totally ignoring the undeniable fact that it would introduce a lot of randomness.

Some of them even say that the randomness will "add depth" and make things "more fun" (yes, they do). And they refuse to let it go, saying how we're rigid, up-tight, exclusive and will never change, choosing to insult us instead of finding a valid way to negate the randomness that is mandatory when it comes to items.

We hate these kinds of people (who are usually Casuals). We also hate Scrubs (who are usually, but not always, Casuals). We hate a lot of other kinds of people of both Casual and Competitive breed. It's just that the Casuals seem to take offense to any Competitive player hating on any kind of Casual and therefore perceive an imagined animosity between the Casual gamers and the Competitive gamers at large.

What's imperative to understand, and I have had to repeat this many times already, is that a Scrub is not the a synonym to a Casual. In fact, you can be a Scrub even if you're Competitive! We hate Scrubs. We hate Item-thumpers who won't listen to reason. We do not, however, hate Casuals as a group.

And for the love of Wii, stop repeating the same things over and over, fr0st, despite me having had to counter them repeatedly.

fr0st, have you ever stopped to think what the hell advanced mindgames are all about? Why wavedash? Why shuffle? Why L-cancel into jabs/grabs/dodges/rolls/another aerial? It' called mindgames. The advanced techniques give us more mindgaming options!

Those who just spam them mindlessly will never be good since they're not using them right. You also need mindgames to play competitive fighters. Mindgames in general. You can never get that waveshine in if you have no idea to approach and how to counter certain basic techniques.

Players with a lot of technical skill but low mindgames never do well in tournaments. It's a fact, the Competitive Crowd knows this, heck I know such people. The only people who would flame you for talking about it would be the Casual Gamers who might not have heard of, encountered or even considered the existence of such gamers!

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
That has to be the longest post ever.

Yuna was one of the first competitive players I met when I was a scrub, MLG Anaheim 06 yeahuyzzz :)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
That has to be the longest post ever.

Yuna was one of the first competitive players I met when I was a scrub, MLG Anaheim 06 yeahuyzzz :)
I hope you know that a Scrub is not the same thing as a Casual or a n00b. You were only a Scrub if categorically refused to use "cheap" tactics and whined about it when others did.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Ok, in your words I was a Casual player making the transition to a competition player.

When I think of scrub, its normally someone who is inferior in skill level to the average Melee player. It's not a way of flaming people, its just a quick way to classify soneone's skill level.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, in your words I was a Casual player making the transition to a competition player.

When I think of scrub, its normally someone who is inferior in skill level to the average Melee player. It's not a way of flaming people, its just a quick way to classify soneone's skill level.
Unfortunately, people have started using "Scrub" as a synonym to "N00b". This is wrong and has to stop. The word originated from the Fighting Community to signify someone who whined about "Cheap tactics".

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
lol back on topic.....

it seems like best bets so far are ike and dedede, but what about characters who seem disregarded?

DK's juggernaut frame aspects enhance his ffa playability imo, as one can resort to noob tactics and charge punch, punch, retreat.

samus is an excellent keep away character from the looks of it and a final smash ball by any of these chars will get the player a win or at least 2 stocks.

do kirby and pikachu have ffa playability in this tourney setting? perhaps even mario? Wario? discuss..... b1tch3s...

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
My brain is about to explode from this ridiculousness.

It seems that every **** time something like this comes out, it generally goes like this.

Competitive player: *plays in a tourney with tourney rules*
Whiny Casual: You're not playing the game the right way!
Competitive: We're playing in a way that we found works best in a touranment. You can play however you want.
Whiny: You don't know what you're doing, you suck at this!
Competitive: You're saying that because you aren't competitive enough to go to tourneys and learn the ins and outs of the games and why certain things are unfair. Thus, you're a casual player.
Whiny: I'm not casual, I play this game every day!
Competitive: What I mean is that if you aren't a "Competitive" player, going to touraments, than you're playing Casually.
Non-whiny casual: Please don't put me in the same group of "Casuals" as those *******.
Competitive: Well, you're either a competitive person that participates in tourneys or you're not. Since you aren't "competitive," you're a casual player.
Whiny: Aha, so people are either in your select group or they're in the "everybody else" group. You're an elitist, thinking it all revolves around your type and whether or not someone fits into it!
Competitive: We're not elitists. Anyone can come to a tourney and learn!
Non-whiny: *half-moaning to self* Please don't lump me together with those *******....
Competitive: We're not... those people are scrubs.
Non-whiny: Which you still call casuals....
Competitive: Well yeah.
Whiny: That's an insult!
Competitive: It just represents that you're inexperienced and have more to learn. We play against a lot of different people at tournaments and have learned what works, what's broken, etc.
Whiny: What the- you're saying you're better than us? See, you ARE elitists!
Competitive: We just have more experience. We're more than willing to share and help other people learn.
Whiny: Learn your way of playing that is! Your rules suck. You just banned stuff because you don't know how to use it properly!
Competitive: There's reasons for those rules... and they're only for tournaments to ensure they're fair, nothing stopping people from playing how they want outside of touraments.
Whiny: You suck at this game, I hate your type!
Non-whiny: I can't take it anymore! *suicides*
Random people: *head explodes from the abject stupidity*

Actual point: Smash community jargon SUCKS and is way too imprecise. If people (aka, mostly competitives since they're generally the ones more immersed in the game culture and use jargon the most) aren't willing to fix-it so that it won't make new people think they're getting flamed (even though it isn't intended as anything close to an insult) the arguing will simply never stop. They'll have to keep explaining it every third time a new member joins the boards. Some people are just too stubborn and defend their way of doing/expressing things, unwilling to see that even though they have good intentions it's not coming off in the best light.

As for the Gamestop tourney. My advice, from the rather little experience I had with the demo quite a few months ago, would be to try Ike or Metaknight (Meta has easily spammed B moves, which do good damage... along with great recovery and other good features - slightly harder to get a KO, though). Also, I can tell you from experience that the first couple of matches will be a breeze. When I played the demo with experienced Melee players, most of us forgot to do even simple stuff like shielding against attacks and very few used grabs... new controller layout is annoying to get used to. Speaking of which, read up on controller layouts. Wii Remote + Nunchuk seems like it may be a default options, so make sure you know what does what. Anyways, if you're more comfortable with the controls you can use that in your favor against people who aren't as prepared. If they don't know where the shield button is/forgot to use it (nevermind shield-grabbing, heh) a highly offensive playstyle could be quite rewarding. Just be careful in later matches, since people that got that far will of course not be the completely sucky players. XD

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Hey, Yuna, you sure about the dash canceling being gone? As far as I know, only crouch canceling was removed. I could've swore I dash canceled when I last played...

Blade42

Smash Apprentice
wouldnt PT be a decent choice of char? i mean get the kill with charizard and then jump around like a ninja with squirtle for the rest of the match...lets see if ike can keep up with that

of course one good hit from ike's sword means doom for poor squirtle :(

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Hey, Yuna, you sure about the dash canceling being gone? As far as I know, only crouch canceling was removed. I could've swore I dash canceled when I last played...
Dash canceling is canceling the "stop running" animation by using the "start crouching" animation. However, with the reduced lag of unshielding, you can always try that.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=upLXveFz_rY

Yuna's being a bit too harsh on Sheik; though all of her aerials have been nerfed, they weren't nerfed nearly to the degree that her fair was. Bair, uair, and nair can at least KO at relatively reasonable %. Fair doesn't even send an opponent off-stage at 70%.

Big Burn

Smash Lord
these tourney rules are to annoying for me to attend... i think i will just go home and nerd the game with my friends instead

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
I am willing to bet you money that I won't.
I really hope I make it Hugs... that way I could catch a taxi after the tourney in San Jose, drive to your side of town, and request my money.

I mean, I know your good and known and all in melee, and what not. But doesn't mean you can be a **** and try to look cool with a comment like that. I have you know, I hold brawl fest here in orlando, FL where the best in Melee come by to play. You dont know me. I'm not one of these newly joined here brawl fan boys

In fact you can put your money where your mouth is and MM me via wifi, $50. loser pays out thru paypal.

my flamesuit protects me from fanboys....

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
T

That didn't even make any sense. Are you talking about the incessant whining about Final Smashes and Items in general being on in tournaments from the New Wave of Users? Yeah, you see, we "Competitives" (and many Casuals, even) have made perfectly good and valid arguments against FS:es and Items.

The counterarguments are "But it's more fun and varied!". Next.

We would if it didn't imbalance the game and introduce a lot of randomness.

Solution:
You become an expert in Brawl and then you host a tournament and then you set your own rules.

And then I ignored the rest of your post because it was just repeating the same things I've already counter-argued over and over with you ignoring me.
i rewrote the whole thing there bud. Feel free to not ignore the parts that you can't argue against.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actual point: Smash community jargon SUCKS and is way too imprecise. If people (aka, mostly competitives since they're generally the ones more immersed in the game culture and use jargon the most) aren't willing to fix-it so that it won't make new people think they're getting flamed (even though it isn't intended as anything close to an insult) the arguing will simply never stop. They'll have to keep explaining it every third time a new member joins the boards. Some people are just too stubborn and defend their way of doing/expressing things, unwilling to see that even though they have good intentions it's not coming off in the best light.
Why must we fix something that isn't broken?!

The only reason some people think they're getting flamed for being called "Casual" is because they're too stupid to research the term and automatically think it's an insult.

I have never seen the term "Casual" being used as an insult by a respected Competitive player who's not an *******. It's like some idiot started a rumor or urban legend and now "us" Competitives have to rewrite the Smash Jargon?

No, it works, it still works, only a small number of people don't really know the meaning of "Casual" and assume it's an insult. I refuse to spend time and effort on fixing something that doesn't need fixing.

Dash canceling is canceling the "stop running" animation by using the "start crouching" animation. However, with the reduced lag of unshielding, you can always try that.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=upLXveFz_rY

Yuna's being a bit too harsh on Sheik; though all of her aerials have been nerfed, they weren't nerfed nearly to the degree that her fair was. Bair, uair, and nair can at least KO at relatively reasonable %. Fair doesn't even send an opponent off-stage at 70%.
Dash Canceling is the technique (in Melee) in which you hit Down on the Control Stick to immediately stop dashing without suffering the "tethering"-animation in which you stopped dashing.

It is gone.

Shield Dashing is in, but it was in in Melee as well. It's just that you can move faster after dropping your shield in Brawl than in Melee. Dash Canceling, however, is out.

I'm not being harsh, I'm just stating the truth. I never said her Bair, Uair and Nair were nerfed to the same extent as Fair. I simply said that they were nerfed. Also, you really need to check your data. Her Uair cannot possibly kill anyone unless they've got, like, 500%. The knockback is so ridiculously low they hardly go anywhere at 170%.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
i rewrote the whole thing there bud.
You rewrote what? The post I quoted? Some other post in some other thread? What?

Feel free to not ignore the parts that you can't argue against.
That's rich, coming from you.

I skimmed the past few pages and cannot find anything new. Please repost all of the things you rewrote and I'll reply to it. It is not my responsibility to go back and find something you randomly decided to rewrite a day or so after it was first posted.

Repost it (in this thread) and I will gladly read it and reply to it.

Top Bottom