• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestation UK tourney

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Ripped from CraigUK's post, though this would be a better place to put it.

...So if you don't already know GameStation are going to be holding launch super smash bros brawl tournaments at selected stores around the UK on the 28th of June (if you are not sure where they going to be located here is the list)-

Birminham New Street
Bracknell
Burton On Trent
Cambridge
Canterbury
Leeds (Crossgates)
Dundee
Edinbrugh(Princess Street)
Erdington
Glasgow (Sauchiehall)
Glochester
Hull Prospect Center
Lewisham
Liverpool (Lord Street)
Merry Hill Shopping Center
Metrocenter
Middlesbrough
Newport (wales)
Telford

Registration is now open, as of the 17th of June 2008 on the following site -
http://www.gamestation.co.uk/supersmashshowdown/[/url]

I myself have registerd and got my confirmation email, telling me I have been accepted.

Rules I know so far -

1)You can only select from the starter characters

2)The tournament per store will consist of 2 draws (32 players per draw). Each draw will have 3 rounds. Round 1 consists of 8 matches of 4 players per match. Winners of each match will be given a token to prove that they have won that round.
Winners will go through to round 2, and will be asked to produce their token before playing their match.
Round 2 consists of 4 matches of 2 players per match. Winners from round 2 will enter into Round 3, again by producing their token.
Round 3 (semi final) consists of 2 matches of 4 players per match. The winners of the semi final will enter into the final.
The final consists of 2 players. The final will determine the winner and runner up place per store.

3) The players will fight it out using Brawls Tournament feature.

4)One game will last for 4mins

4)In each store there will be a selection of controllers available for the tournament. The Promoter does not accept any responsibility for the impact on results if the preferred controller is not available for a participant to use. Entrants will have a choice of four control methods depending on who selects what first. The order of selection will be determined by the position in which the player has been entered into the tourney mode in the game. These positions will be randomly selected. These will be;
* Wii Remote and Nunchuck
* Classic controller
* Gamecube Controller
* Wii remote on its own

Unconfirmed -

Items and stages are all random. (Stages will only consist of stages which you start with)

If there is anything else let me know and ill add it to the post, for the terms and conditions visit -
http://www.gamestation.co.uk/supersm.../SSBBTerms.asp
Anyway, what I wanted to add to this is that this is a great opportunity to get new people to attend tournies or fests and eventually strengthen up the scene. So I hope those of you going to these will do your fair share of promoting. Just try to tell people about the scene in the UK, directing them to the local area for smashfests and to SWF or neoempire.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
1)You can only select from the starter characters

GDGLHGJDASNHLKJDASHDASHFDASHNLKFDASB JHLFDS:FNMFS:NMS:LMN:LFSN

Both my mains are unlockables loooll.

I'll still go though.

4)One game will last for 4mins

Kill with Pit and stall, much?

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
Maybe in finals. But if its time mode with 4 players, (It is right?) then someone else will get all the KOs whilst you hide ^_^

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
So do you go Metaknight and struggle in FFA but hope to own 1v1 if you get there. Or do you go Ike and own the FFA and hope to survive the 1v1? ****, Gamestation is elevating Brawl's metagame to a whole new level...

Koop_88

Smash Journeyman
Worst tourney with the best prize. F*** you gamestation. F*** you and your FFA lameness.

And yes, I am still attending the Cambridge one. I need a new soundsystem and im happy to shatter kids dreams to get it. :D

Edds

Smash Ace
pika all the way. downB, sideB, dsmash those noobs. koop your going to the one i was planning on going too. i dont really wanna turn up how i feel.

Koop_88

Smash Journeyman
Haha, sorry edds, on the bright side, you might win an ipod nano? :p

I doubt I'll win, D3 usually gets gang ***** in FFA matches.

Koop_88

Smash Journeyman
Nah I think I'll just beat down kids with D3, not a big fan of playing Ike partly cos i know thats what most people will do. Saying that, I can almost garuntee first round I get 3 pika's vs my D3 and it's game over!

And grimp. I think you are right haha, there's gonna be 10 year olds with Samsung tv and sound systems nationwide!

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
Well, I think I'm going to be playing Pikachu throughout the whole thing... I really wish I could play Marth throughout it all though. :l

BLOODY RULES.

It'd be funny if all of us won however, and not these 10 year old kids. X'D

Anyone who wants to practice before this thing, I'll play you online:
5026-4176-9451

Chris that includes you if you want to play me again.

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
use Ike or Lucas in FFA, we tested it in liverpool for hours on end and they're the best for it
Lucas?
What moves exactly are best for this? I haven't played as him much. :l
Explain further Charles! :D

Also: I think you need to pick your character there and then and stay that one character??

Jolteon

Super Armour strong USmash.

His Up+B gets easy final smashes.

His Up+B can steal kills (including Final Smashes, just get the last hit before they fly off).

Zap Jump recovery.

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
I've entered the one at Burton on Trent.

It's kinda lame that it's FFA and there's no Toon Link. :\

I'll be playing Ike and hopefully changing to Sheik for the singles.

It's pretty gay, I think round one is FFA, round 2 is singles, round 3 is FFA and the finals are singles...

Wtf?

Grimpeh

Smash Apprentice
They are using the brawl tournament mode... And obviously it's just an event to promote the game, they won't care if you like the settings or not as long as they show off the games Final smashes etc.

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
I'm aware they prolly don't care whether or not I (and others) like the settings.

But you do have to have a good old winge about crap like this. We are on Smashboards after all.

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
They make it sound as if you have to pick 1 character and then stick as them for the whole thing. So I was thinking of Lucas as I played him initially, so would be happy 1v1 too, esp. no marth.

Jolteon

Yup, just one afaik.

I'd go for Pikachu if Lewisham wasn't full.

Does quite well vs Ike too.

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
Okay guys, I just found this thread, haha and it was ripped from my original post on another board, anyway....more information. I just rang up my local store and asked some questions, hope this helps out some people
___________________________________________________________________________________
Q)Will I be able to change characters for the different rounds of the tournament?

A) We dont know, representatives from Nintendo will be running the tournament, you will proberably be able to change characters if you win one round, for the next, but we wont know untill the day.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Q)Do you expect a big turn out, all 64 players?

A) we expect full attendance.

Q)Will it be held openly in store store or away in some back room?

A) Openly in the store.
Q) Can friends/ supporters attend even if they arent taking part?

A) Yes, they are welcome.
Q)Will I have to leave upon knock out?

A) No, you are free to stay the duration of the tournament if thats what you want to do.
Q)Would there be any way to get permission to record, if so who do i need to contact.

A) Highly doubtable as Nintendo will be doing recording themself, possibly photos but we doubt it because you can't just come in the store and start taking pictures.

Top Bottom