• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GamesRadar's Who Should Be Cut for SSB4 (Hilarious)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
as the owner of the magalor thread...

he has no chance. these guys are dumb.

Hong

The Strongest
Ha ha. Honestly, from a comedic standpoint, I think these videos will be a great way to keep us all entertained until release. I am already waiting for next Thursday to hear more of their completely absurd calls.

D

Deleted member

I (sadly) watched the whole video and I do have some opinions on their opinions on who is going to get cut.
Marth: Marth is way too popular to Smash Bros. fans and he's way too important. Have they not seen that conceptual whiteboard drawing? It clearly shows Marth and therefore he is recognized by the game's staff.
Ike: Another popular character. While his game isn't as popular as Awakening, he still has a strong and supportive fanbase that would be upset if he left. There is room for 3 Fire Emblem characters in my opinion. Oh, and I will eventually get to the stupid "relevancy" argument later on.
Pokemon Trainer: He's liked by many and has a cool gimmick. Red was even on the boxart for Brawl which suggests that Sakurai does have some interest in Red. I think that he's safe. Also, relevancy is a still a stupid argument with this one. People still love Gen 1 Pokemon and there isn't enough to scale for the popularity of Gen 6 Pokemon to warrant them a spot on the roster.
Lucario: Ehh... I don't care if he gets cut or not. Though, relevancy isn't the only main argument as to why Lucario could be cut.
Lucas: He's going to be back and he has TONS of fan support. I recall that people demanded that Lucas should be in the game and he was planned to be in since Melee (replacing Ness). There is no reason to cut Lucas.
R.O.B.: There are more people who love R.O.B. than these guys realize (I love R.O.B., I don't main him but I love him). While one of the most unexpected choices to be in Brawl, he still has supporters out there, he has a unique moveset, and he has a major role in the Subspace Emissary which works in his favor.
Toon Link: He's one of the first characters to be on the chopping block in my eyes since he is a clone of Link with some differences. However, there were multiple R.O.B.'s in the SSE; both the enemies and the playable one. So, having a Toon Link on the Spirit Tracks stage and be playable at the same time isn't something that is "not Nintendo-like".
Wolf: Yet another character that is most likely to get cut, but I believe that Wolf is going to be a late addition of sorts in SSB4.
Snake: Other than personal request from the creator of Metal Gear Solid, Snake doesn't have much of a reason to be in Brawl in my eyes. (I guess you can argue with Sonic and Mega Man being the case as well) Snake has been mostly around on other platforms as of recent and Sonic has been around on Nintendo platforms more than Snake, so Snake does have a bigger reason to get cut.

The biggest and stupidest argument I saw for most of the characters was "relevancy". Just because a character isn't around that often on the Nintendo scene as of late doesn't mean that they shouldn't be in SSB4. If relevancy was an issue, then how did the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Pit (at the time) get in ANY SSB game? Shouldn't Olimar be an indication that relevancy doesn't matter? He is in SSB4 and he is not the main star of Pikmin 3 (he is in a multiplayer mode however); if relevancy was an issue, then he would have been replaced by Alph.

I'm just going to end my little nerd rant there. LOL I see Snake, Toon Link, and Lucario getting cut. Everyone else they've mentioned, I don't think will get cut.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Wolf: Yet another character that is most likely to get cut, but I believe that Wolf is going to be a late addition of sorts in SSB4.
Why on earth does Wolf have any level of cut priority, when he is nearly as unique of a character as Ike is from Marth? A last minute addition or not, he recieved a substantially larger effort in making him unique than Falco did.

Hong

The Strongest
The biggest and stupidest argument I saw for most of the characters was "relevancy". Just because a character isn't around that often on the Nintendo scene as of late doesn't mean that they shouldn't be in SSB4. If relevancy was an issue, then how did the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Pit (at the time) get in ANY SSB game? Shouldn't Olimar be an indication that relevancy doesn't matter? He is in SSB4 and he is not the main star of Pikmin 3 (he is in a multiplayer mode however); if relevancy was an issue, then he would have been replaced by Alph.
The difference between Ike and Lucario versus the characters you listed here is that they are middlemen from a series with hundreds of characters. Don't get me wrong, Ike is my favourite Fire Emblem lead, but I would not be upset if he was replaced. Of course some people will be against his removal, but no matter what I can guarantee you at least two characters will be removed and people will have a knee-jerk response to it. I am sure the people who have never played Fire Emblem before that liked Roy or Ike can like someone such as Chrom soon enough. Sadly, even if we get three Fire Emblem representatives, I am not too crazy about the idea of having three blue-haired swordsmen as the face of the series, when the game has many equally important gals and guys with more unique equipment options.

D

Deleted member

Why on earth does Wolf have any level of cut priority, when he is nearly as unique of a character as Ike is from Marth? A last minute addition or not, he recieved a substantially larger effort in making him unique than Falco did.
People believe that he is one of the first characters to get the axe. I would love to see Wolf return as he does have a unique moveset and Wolf was a fun character to use.

The difference between Ike and Lucario versus the characters you listed here is that they are middlemen from a series with hundreds of characters. Don't get me wrong, Ike is my favourite Fire Emblem lead, but I would not be upset if he was replaced. Of course some people will be against his removal, but no matter what I can guarantee you at least two characters will be removed and people will have a knee-jerk response to it. I am sure the people who have never played Fire Emblem before that liked Roy or Ike can like someone such as Chrom soon enough. Sadly, even if we get three Fire Emblem representatives, I am not too crazy about the idea of having three blue-haired swordsmen as the face of the series, when the game has many equally important gals and guys with more unique equipment options.
Of course I do expect at least a few cuts in SSB4. I am going to probably sigh when I do see three blue haired men with swords in the roster, but I believe that Fire Emblem will get three reps regardless.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
People need to learn the difference between words like "relevant", "iconic", and "retro" before looking like idiots

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
Lucario and Snake. Those are the only two here I think will be cut. We may lose Lucas though, unless he gets a revamp because Sakuri doesn't like clones. I could see a second Sonic character coming, and possibly an updated style Pokémon trainer.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
the only ones from there i see are snake, lucario, and lucas (little LUC of the draw goin on)
snake-as stated, new metal gear not for wii u, but aren't sakurai and kojima best buds?
lucas- pretty similar to ness, but he technically is from a different series
lucario- he's a bad*** and all, but in the end he's a regular pokemon. he was in as a spur of the moment "you're the poster boy for the new generation? come on in!" but with the mega evolution, he's gotten a good kick back into possibility

and how many times do i have to tell people THERE IS NO PATTERN WITH THE FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS!!! roy was only cut in brawl because he had the same moveset as marth, which evidence (marth stabs instead of slashes) suggests they were working on separating the two. and roy was fairly close to completion- he even had a victory theme programmed in
so no fire emblem pattern

majora_787

Smash Hero
I still wonder if Lucas would be the one to be cut, considering he was planned to replace Ness in the past. And I mean sure, Ness is in the Original 12, but the original 12 rule is a rule that was made by the fanbase because we had not actually had a character from 64 be cut before.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I still wonder if Lucas would be the one to be cut, considering he was planned to replace Ness in the past. And I mean sure, Ness is in the Original 12, but the original 12 rule is a rule that was made by the fanbase because we had not actually had a character from 64 be cut before.
I thought the rule was derived from Brawl's All-Star Event matches. Two Events are dedicated to the original 12: the 8 starters, and the 4 hidden.

It refers to each group as perfect attendees. Ness was almost cut in Melee, but he wasn't. And now both Lucas AND Ness are in the series.

I don't think Lucas will be cut, anymore. If they kept Toon Link, they'll keep Lucas. His moveset is unique enough from Ness that he can still remain without issues.

On another note, I've also decided that I want Ike to stay. He's much too fun to play as to let him go now!

majora_787

Smash Hero
That's honestly my stance on it. Toon Link I would be imagine would be the lowest priority character in Brawl to bring back over, being the closest character to being a complete clone and even then just being Link on the roster a second time.

There's now no real reason to cut anyone else, except for maybe Snake for business reasons or Lucario because they just want to replace him with something new.

D

Deleted member

All of the characters that were featured on the Nintendo 64 Super Smash Bros. (aka, the "Original 12") have no reason to be cut. People could argue with Captain Falcon, Ness, and Jigglypuff, but Captain Falcon is an incredibly popular character as is, Ness for the same reason and his game was just re-released on the Virtual Console where he made more fans, and Jigglypuff is yet another character who is popular and has been made relevant again thanks to the Fairy typing.

I can confidently say that every character from the Original 12 will be in every SSB game. They just can't be cut and I find that cutting them would be a disservice since they were playable in every game up to that point.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ness has the edge because:

A. He is a part of the Original 12. Not a major point, but more people have come to play as him and some people have played him through all 3 games, I'm sure Sakurai is taking that into consideration.

B. Ness has seen an international release, with a recent re-release on Virtual Console. Lucas never made it outside of Japan other than in Brawl.

C. Earthbound is more popular than Mother 3. Sure Earthbound sold pretty terribly in general, but given that it has gotten a Virtual Console release, and Ness has pretty much become the icon of Earthbound due to his international status, he is the ideal choice. Plus, Earthbound is the fan favorite game of the series too.

So there are reasons besides the Original 12 argument that point to Ness having the advantage.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Does a franchise have to keep living in order to for that character to stay in Smash Bros.?
No not really.
It depends. It could get in on the premise of being a retro game. But other than that, a dead franchise could be a hindrance.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Just look at Ice Climbers, it hasn't had a new game since they debuted in Melee, yet they returned in Brawl.
If they return in Smash 4, it will only prove my point more.

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
I could see Snake being cut, but I really hope he isn't. He had one of the most unique movesets I've ever seen in smash and it would be a shame to lose him. I feel like he'll be able to stay because Kojima (sp?) and Sakurai's friendship

majora_787

Smash Hero
If Snake calms down a bit and gets toned down it'll be nice to have him back. Then it'd be a smash game with three third parties, which IMO is the best number of third parties; enough for a four-way free for all against Mario. Or something.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Also, I don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum, but I think Snake's absence in PSASBA speaks volumes... I mean, I know Raiden was the star of the next game and all, but Snake IS Metal Gear.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh look! Another character they predicted would be cut was revealed.

I'm shocked!

D

Deleted member

GamesRadar was incredibly foolish to think that Marth was going to get cut. I'm glad Marth got confirmed to rub it in their faces.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Did they make another R.O.B. video?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Not yet. They're still probably trying to swallow their pride with a big slice of humble pie.
I dunno, they seem like nice people to me, just with convoluted conceptions about what the game is and what it should be.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I dunno, they seem like nice people to me, just with convoluted conceptions about what the game is and what it should be.
True. You got me there.

Edit: Just went back and re-watched the Toon Link revealed video where ROB killed them.

At the end of the video, ROB says they'll never be wrong about anything again.
But here we are. :chuckle:

the8thark

Smash Lord
My opinions on this:

Ike - Will be kept or replaced with Roy or another Fire Emblem character.
Lucas - Will probably get the boot, as he's a little similar to Ness.
Snake - Will be kept is licensing allows it as his moveset was pretty unique.
Wolf - I think Wolf will get the boot simply because we don't need 3 StarFox characters with very similar characters.
Marth - The Fire Emblem favourite and is confirmed now.
PKMN Trainer - A tough one. He is pretty unique in style and I can't think of any real reasons to boot him.
Lucario - He will probably get the boot, replaced by Mewtwo. As Mewtwo is much more popular, and overall a better SSB character.
Ganondorf/Ike - I can see Ganon getting a sword for sword moves in SSB4, and not be a Captain Falcon clone like in previous SSBs.
R.O.B. - Will defo get the boot. Because it is the joke character. Melee had Pichu as it's joke character. And SSB4 will have a new joke character.
Toon Link - I think this Link will get the boot or possibly be changed into something more like a MM triple mask Link. But it could be WW themed again cause of WWHD.
Falco - I think Falco will be kept and changed up a lot from Fox.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
R.O.B. - Will defo get the boot. Because it is the joke character. Melee had Pichu as it's joke character. And SSB4 will have a new joke character.
A joke character is somebody purposefully made bad.
R.O.B. is not bad by any means, a tad bit uninspired sure. But not bad.
Toon Link - I think this Link will get the boot or possibly be changed into something more like a MM triple mask Link. But it could be WW themed again cause of WWHD.
You're a little late buddy.
http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/toon_link.html

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I guess that is partially a possibility, though he has been here since late October.

I was kind of trolling/joking...

But anyway, I think when all characters are revealed I'll send them a picture with all "cut" characters with troll faces plasted onto their faces saying "Problem?"

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I was kind of trolling/joking...

But anyway, I think when all characters are revealed I'll send them a picture with all "cut" characters with troll faces plasted onto their faces saying "Problem?"
Please forgive me for not realizing that.

And I'm still hoping GamesRadar makes another R.O.B. video soon.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Please forgive me for not realizing that.

And I'm still hoping GamesRadar makes another R.O.B. video soon.

It's not a problem!

Yeah, I think that everybody likes to play R.O.B., especially GamesRadar and Angry Video Game Nerd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom