• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GamesRadar's Who Should Be Cut for SSB4 (Hilarious)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys just watched this video from GamesRadar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkOhkz3d6Os
It's pretty much who the think should be cut in SSB4. But they made some pretty bad choices lmao.

This image is sure to piss about every single Smash fan off.

Discuss, which ones do you agree with, and which ones are you infuriated by.

Cut:
Ike (In a sense)
Lucas
Snake
Wolf

Keep:
Marth
PKMN Trainer
Lucario (Make him a actual fighting type)
Ganondorf/Ike (Give Ganondorf some of Ike's moves)
R.O.B.
Toon Link (Give him more moves from the DS games)
Falco (Make him more unique from Fox to make up for cutting Wolf.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
These are the same characters I always see people suggest/expect to be cut, aside from Marth. Not really surprised or upset.

That's not to say that I agree with the choices, though. If anything, I can see Lucario being cut to make room for another popular/recent pokemon, perhaps Mewtwo's new design.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I don't expect ROB or Marth to be cut even in the slightest. Apart from that I believe all the others have a chance to be cut, even if small.

Wolf/Falco (one of the 2), Toon Link, Lucas and Lucario are the ones with the highest chance to be cut in my own opinion.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
:joyful:
They seriously expect Sakurai to cut 11 characters, especially after how Sakurai has expressed a strong dislike of cuts?

Marth and ROB are safe. Pokémon Trainer, Ike, Lucas and Wolf, I'm on the fence. Toon Link and Lucario might be on the chopping block though.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
My comments on the video.

"Hahahahahahahaha!
Wait, you guys seriously think Marth is gonna be cut?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Yeah, no, he is the most iconic lord, he has the most games based around him, and he has AMAZING precedent supporting his inclusion. Don't dare bump him out for the sake of justifying someone new like Lucina, because that's what you're doing.
Relevance and recency as you think of them mean little to nothing to Sakurai."

"The simple fact that Sakurai put a Pokemon Trainer from generation 1 in absolutely destroys your argument, it was ALREADY old news, being oldER news means NOTHING.
I absolutely hate how most if not all of your predictions are based around relevancy or recency, it's a flawed mindset for prediction because Sakurai does NOT think that way. Also, patterns, patterns are a bad argument."

"Consider Melee for a moment, I guarantee you would have said the SAME exact things about Mr. Game and Watch that you two have said about ROB. The argument is moot, Sakurai does not align with your modes of thinking, that being said we will have to wait and see about ROB, he WAS more important to Brawl than G&W was to Melee. He's unique, and uniqueness is the critical factor for being in Smash."

"OH NO TOON LINK IS IN A STAGE AS A STAGE ASSET! Then why was G&W in Brawl or Melee if there was a G&W stage? If this was rule then Falco and Wolf should NOT have been in Brawl due to them appearing in the taunt special communications thing on Lylat or Corneria. Ridiculous reason after ridiculous reasons.
Snake being cut? Alright, I can take that, seeing the relation between Nintendo and Kojima, the new metal gear is not coming to the Wii U as of yet, soooo. . . 3rd parties are a different story, though."

"What a horrible double standard you two have, taking out Wolf instead of Falco. So precedence suddenly matters where it did not previously, huh. Wolf is far more unique than Falco as of now, but we shall see, I think it's a ridiculous reason to think he'll be cut solely due to recency and stuff.
Seeing as the relationship between Nintendo and Sega has been all buddy buddy recently, yeah you're right, probably not gonna be cut, but again 3rd party, Sakurai makes special rules for them."

I haven't been this mad in a while.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
"...He was also the star of a game called Cheddar Dragon a couple of years ago so most people remember him but now he don't mean much," - On Marth.

Why do people continue to believe relevancy arguments hold any water? Some of the characters that were included (and have stayed on so far!) have had virtually zero current market or cultural relevancy at the time of their introduction, like R.O.B., Ice & Climbers, Pit, and Mr. Game&Watch... The worst offender is that they released this list a week after Olimar was announced, and he is no longer a (playable at least?) character in the new Pikmin installment.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Lucario *could* be cut for Mewtwo's return, or revamped so that Mewtwo can return.

Suggesting Marth and Falco seems stupid. I don't think either of these two will be cut. And Martha is the only female swordsman (swordswoman?) in the game. That's too valuable to cut.

I can see Ike being cut, but there would probably be another FE character to replace him.

Ganon is not going anywhere. He may get new moves. I heavily doubt he will be removed.

Toon Link could be cut and I wouldn't mind. I'm pretty biased about this one, though.

ROB is like G&W. An icon from Nintendo history. I'd be surprised if he was cut. He was a very unique and well-rounded character in Brawl in his own right, too.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I stopped watching the video when they said that Marth would be cut. I didn't bother to watch the rest. If not for that picture in the OP, I would never have known how incredibly stupid GamesRadar is. :laugh:

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Nothing controversial there, except possibly Marth (as Kapus just stated).

In the video, they say that Marth and Ike are both outdated in the Fire Emblem series. While I think this can be applied on Ike, I do think Marth has a better connection to Smash. First off, he's been in Smash since Melee and secondly he has a different status in the Fire Emblem series being the first main character.

Characters being in the recent critically acclaimed Awakening should be prioritized...

memememe

Smash Apprentice
Marth and ROB will most likely stick around. Pokemon Trainer's chances are nearly as good but there is the possibility that he returns in a different form (much like Young Link into Toon Link.)

Speaking of which, I'm not so sure that Toon Link is as expendable either...granted, he's probably not the most prioritized inclusion for SSB Wii U/3DS, but with Wind Waker HD on the horizon and the franchise of 'Toon Link' being pretty prominent on the handheld platforms, I'd say he's got a pretty good shot at returning.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
marth: will not be cut and is the perfect rep for fe being the first lord
pokemon trainer: has a unique moveset and will not be cut
wolf: sakurai wanted him in since the begining doubt he take him out now that he is finally in

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Ness, Lucas, Game & Watch, ROB, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Sheik. All characters who haven't been "relevant" in years.

Anybody who thinks the "relevancy" argument is even remotely true should stop playing Smash Bros. altogether. There is so much wrong with this video.

"...He was also the star of a game called Cheddar Dragon a couple of years ago so most people remember him but now he don't mean much," - On Marth.

Why do people continue to believe relevancy arguments hold any water? Some of the characters that were included (and have stayed on so far!) have had virtually zero current market or cultural relevancy at the time of their introduction, like R.O.B., Ice & Climbers, Pit, and Mr. Game&Watch... The worst offender is that they released this list a week after Olimar was announced, and he is no longer a (playable at least?) character in the new Pikmin installment.

Why can't we have more people like you around here who just "Get it"?

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Yeah if anything the sheer number there makes this video silly. Sakurai wants to avoid cuts best he can. If he does have to cut some I would say I agree with a few of those characters but I think only a few at most will be cut. Unless we are severely underestimating the constraints on the roster I doubt we'll see more than a couple if any cuts. Of the ones they mention I do see how a few of them could risk cuts but I think Marth and R.O.B are probably safe. Pokemon Trainer is probably fine unless his technical limitations are causing issues. Snake it really comes down to if Sakurai thinks he's worth going through the third party hoops for him again. Of the remaining character I could see them at risk pending roster limitations but I don't think there is high chance they'd all get cut.

I'd like to think Ike is pretty safe. Fire Emblem is in a good spot, he is a very popular Lord in the west and he has a completely unique moveset. I think Marth and an Awakening newcomer might hold priority over him but I don't think the limitations are going to be so strict that he is at risk.

Lucario seems to be pretty much same deal as Ike, except he's from a much bigger series and unlike Ike his series doesn't really have "main" Pokemon outside of maybe the legendaries. I guess I could see him going either way. On one had Pokemon is huge enough that it could probably afford a lot of reps. On the other hand there are so many potential contenders that there could be a lot of competition for pokemon spots. Esspecially when you consider Pika is already confirmed (and always will be) and Jiggs is one of the original 12. Sakurai has already mentioned that they were at least considering Mewtwo and due to the overwhelmingly positive response to the statement and the fact that he was already highly suggested makes me think he's a decent bet. So I imagine the main issues comes down to how many spots does Pokemon get? I don't imagine him having priority over Jigglypuff or a Gen VI (probably Mewtwo with his new form somehow implemented). Assuming that Pokemon gets at least 4 again then that last spot is kind of between Pokemon Trainer and Lucario, on that I can't make a call because I could see it going either way. However event hat is assuming Pokemon wouldn't get more than 4 but it wouldn't surprise me for Pokemon to get 5 spots.

I think Toon Link may become Young Link again or something but a younger incarnation of Link returning seems likely, he's technically in more games than "Adult" Link is. I'd expect they will change up his moveset a lot more this time though. I don't know about Wolf, I think Falco has higher priority and 3 does seem a lot for a not super popular and also currently dormant franchise, there is also the issue that despite the fact that they do feel pretty different when you play them all Fox, Falco and Wolf still are viewed as pretty similar and if it's between bringing wolf back and a completely original rep from a new franchise I'd see the new rep getting the spot. However pretty much all of this post is working on the assumption that Sakurai would HAVE to cut some characters, I don't think he will cut any just because he doesn't like them or something, but the time or technical restraints could be causing more issues or stress on him than we may think. The fact that he already apologized in advance if they have to cut any makes me think there is a decent chance they will. Hopefully no more than 2-3 though.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Without bothering to listen to how stupid their reasoning is, everyone bar Marth has potential to be cut, which makes a lot of sense.

Listening to their reasoning, I dont like them.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Marth and ROB are the only ones I strongly disagree with. As everybody else has said, Marth is by far the leading lord in Fire Emblem. He's playable in 5 of the games (remakes included), stars in 4 of those games including the original, and has already been in two Smash games. Heck, his last playable appearance was 5 MONTHS ago and his last major appearance was only shortly after Brawl's release; how on Earth is he not relevant? As for ROB, there's no reason to cut him. He has a unique moveset and is a franchise rep. When I hear arguments against ROB I remember the arguments against Gama and Watch before Brawl. It's just leftover butthurt from the people who blamed ROB for Ridley and Megaman not getting in Brawl just like the people who blamed Game and Watch for Wario and Diddy Kong not getting in Melee.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In the video, they say that Marth and Ike are both outdated in the Fire Emblem series. While I think this can be applied on Ike, I do think Marth has a better connection to Smash. First off, he's been in Smash since Melee and secondly he has a different status in the Fire Emblem series being the first main character.
It's funny because, you know, Marth and Ike are hardly outdated. Unless of course double standards are in play and apparently Fire Emblem: Awakening and Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem don't count for some reason.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Keep:
R.O.B. (He seems to be an icon of Nintendo)
Lucas (Or replace with another Mother or EarthBound character)
Pokemon Trainer (Replace the pokemon with three others from a different region, probably)
Marth (I've never played Fire Emblem, but I feel like he should still be kept)

Cut:
Toon Link (I'm pretty sure a picture of the Toon Link's Train stage from Spirit Tracks confirmed him not being part of the roster, but I guess I could be wrong....
I don't care if he turns out not being cut, though)

I don't care about any other character shown in the picture.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In regards to everyone besides Marth and ROB:

Pokemon Trainer- Hard to say. He's technically four characters in one so he'll be unbelievably tempting to cut if time starts to become an issue. Because his design is based on the Red and Green remakes in the third generation, I can imagine that he'll be tweaked if they do decide to keep him. Not only do I see him getting new Pokemon (I could easily see squirtle and ivysaur getting replaced with something else) but I can see him getting a character redesign too.

Lucario- Arguably the most disposable character in the Brawl roster. He's still popular though but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ended up getting "Mewtwo'd."

Ike- There's no reason why it should happen but I could see why if he did. He could get "Roy'd" but I think few people would argue with me that Fire Emblem deserves at least three reps given it's long history and number of games.

Lucas- Somewhat disposable because he's a semi-clone but because he's the only semi-clone that has ever been in the starting roster and the fact that they have never reduced the number of reps in a franchise without replacing them with someone else (Dr. Mario doesn't count for obvious reasons), I think he'll be safe.

Snake- Probably. It seemed like the only reason he was added to Brawl in the first place was to finally fulfill a favor to a friend.

Toon Link- I honestly doubt it. Young Link basically became Toon Link so he's technically already been in two games but it makes sense to have two Links since the games are largely divided by those with Link as an adult and Link as a kid with Toon Link being the face of the later since 2003. I can imagine him being tweaked some more to further differentiate him from the other Link than be outright cut.

Wolf- Only slightly safer than Lucario but not by much I'd argue. Technically the very last addition in Brawl and him being a semi-clone makes me think that he was largely added to bolster the final roster much like most of the clones were for Melee.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Marth is such old news, he deserves to but cut, but Mr Game and Watch, he's totally relevant, everyone's playing his games... And that brand new franchise Ice Climbers is totally new and exciting. Oh, let's not forget Jigglypuff, she's like the freshest pokémon ever, certainly more relevant than Lucario.

Seriously, Americans talking **** about fire emblem characters is never something to listen to realistically but damn they're conceited...

Snake and Toon Link are the 2 I most see being cut (and it's a shame for toon link, given a bit more to separate him from Link he'd be awesome to stay around). Maybe Lucario could go, but I think after Mewtwo's loss Sakurai will choose against it, and Ike is prtty safely staying, seriously, 2 games as protagonist is rare in FE, so he's a big deal.

As for Lucas, again american's don't understand how big MOTHER is in Japan, and while maybe loosing a space animal is possible (if I feel unlikely) I'd think Falco's in a more dangerous position than Wolf; two leaders and all.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Mother's actually not that big in Japan and really more of a cult classic. The first was a mild success with about 400,000 copies sold, Earthbound actually sold 100,000 less in Japan than Mother but sold only 40,000 overall more thanks to sales in North America, and Mother 3 sold about the same as the original. The Mother+ Mother 2 bundle for the GBA sold a laughable 80,000 overall. A lot of Mother fan sites grossly exaggerate Mother's popularity in Japan and tend to neglect that Mother 3 was not nearly as critically well received as Earthbound was over there.

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earthbound-series-sales-figures/

I'm all for Lucas staying but I really wish Mother fans would stop pretending like the franchise was this giant phenomenon in Japan that rivaled the likes of Pokemon.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
There's a difference between financial success and cultural success, and earthbound's sales were impressive for the time in Japan, even if 3 is mediocre (even if more sales were expected). But I see your point, they aren't the hyper sellers like Mario, but still notable in the scheme of things. America dusts it off as that game no-one bought for the SNES, which is a fair assessment in america, a market where 140,000 sales is basically the same as zero, but gaming in Japan is a more niche market, gaming is a cult following, and unlike the marios and pokemons MOTHER never broke free of the gaming market to grander things, but within the niche market of video gamers it's an important franchise.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I kinda feel bad, they unknowingly made this video without knowing how negative the reception would be. Even just for mentioning the possibility that Toon Link would be cut.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I kinda feel bad, they unknowingly made this video without knowing how negative the reception would be. Even just for mentioning the possibility that Toon Link would be cut.

Anyone who wants to discuss potential character cuts is probably aware that doing so will bring very negative feedback.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Any character starting from the beginning of the series could never be replaced with another character in the series. In other words, a character such as Marth will most likely not go and have another Fire Emblem character tossed in there to replace him. So for Marth, it would be by a long shot before Sakurai ever decided to remove him. Ike on the other hand, not that I'd like to see him go, there is a possibility he could be switched out with another character. I wouldn't be surprised if Pokemon Trainer was cut. I also wouldn't be surprised if they decided to throw in a new Pokemon Trainer. Lucario may or may not be replaced with the new Mewtwo.

I wouldn't care if Lucas was cut. I doubt he will be, but it wouldn't bother me if he was replaced with another EarthBound character. We didn't get Mother 3 in America, so we'll see. As much as I hate R.O.B., I'm sure he's here to stay for the simple fact he goes way back on the NES. I have no doubt in my mind that Snake will be cut. That may have just been a one time deal. I wouldn't be surprised if Toon Link was cut. I like the character, but it seems the people I talk to do not, and say that he's a clone of Link except shorter and faster, which I have to agree with. As for Wolf, I have a feeling he'll be staying. He's the enemy of Star Fox, Falco is a jerk towards Fox, the last time I remember, anyway, and so it just feels right to have all three beat the crap out of one another.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Anyone who wants to discuss potential character cuts is probably aware that doing so will bring very negative feedback.

Even so, there's an intelligent way of going about it, and a not so intelligent way. I don't need to tell you which route they took. I don't feel the sympathy.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Marth and ROB I don't think so ROB is too popular and nobody asked for ROB and it was a success he's a really good and popular character and Marth ooh plllease he made 2 out of 3 and the missed one is the first one

Everybody else correct

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
That's it! I'm officially done with GamesRadar! This was possibly the stupidest video I've ever watched!:mad:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Fire Emblem:
Marth: Lol! Nope. Marth is like the Pikachu of the Fire Emblem series. There is no way he is being cut.
Ike: If there are to be system specific stages for Smash Bros 4. then I highly doubt Ike is going anywhere. Fire Emblem games for the as of late has found their homes on handhelds, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are the 2 most recent home console Fire Emblem games. If we were to get a Fire Emblem Wii U stage, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are two good games that have the potential to be source material for a Wii U version stage. And if either of those stages where to be added I doubt they would exclude the guy who is in both versions.

Mother/Earthbound:
Lucas: I think both Ness and Lucas can be reworked to set each other apart. His chances are up in the air.

Pokemon:
Lucario: He has a chance of being cut, I'm indifferent to his/her return. I will say that Mewtwo returning will hurt his chances seeing that Lucario and Mewtwo shared similar fighting styles in Smash, both being the floaty energy based fighters.
Pokemon Trainer: Don't think he's going any where and i don't think his pokemon are getting swapped for other Pokemon.

Metal Gear Solid:
Snake: I agree with their reasoning, but i don't know if that will be the nail in the coffin that determines his return.

Legend of Zelda:
Toon Link: I too have been starting to doubt his return with the appearance of that picture.

Starfox:
Wolf: I don't think he is going anywhere, both Wolf and Falco need to get that Pit and Bowser treatment.

R.O.B: Nope. Thats all i'm gonna say.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I doubt both Marth and Ike will go, but I can see Lucina taking one of their spots. Judging by his prominence in SSE, Sakurai appears to have a soft spot for ROB, so I can't see him getting cut.

I found most of their speculation to be reasonable otherwise.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Marth and ROB I don't think so ROB is too popular and nobody asked for ROB and it was a success he's a really good and popular character and Marth ooh plllease he made 2 out of 3 and the missed one is the first one

Everybody else correct
I dont think ROB is as popular as you are making him out to be, he is pretty well liked, but hes not THAT well liked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom