• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamer's Edge - SC/NC Brawl Weeklies - next: nevar

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I don't really have a problem with Mario Circuit, but I also don't think Corneria should be CP, the edges are just too low

zCasanova

Smash Lord
Phillip Matthews has the bracket, he'll post later.

Top schfive--

1. ARS (CFal/Snake) — Split: $22.50
1. Devin (Marth/D3) — Split: $22.50
3. Bo (Lucario) : $5.00
4. Philmaster (Kirby)
5. JMan (Sonic)
5. Crio (Pink Yoshi)

Schdoubles--

1. LTH : $20.00
2. bo & devin : $20.00
3. spacies
4. team sparkles

Adam, thank you for that pie.

It's all gone now.

Argyris

Smash Journeyman
Phillip Matthews has the bracket, he'll post later.
Screw posting the brackets later, I'm posting them now!

http://i44.tinypic.com/1rqdex.gif (Img tags make it stretch out the screen unnecessarily)

And for those who don't know, this tournament was played at Adam's house instead of Gamer's Edge. I don't wanna explain why so would someone else do so, please?

Edit: Also, someone needs to get a vid of the trick Adam taught his cat.

Lareit

Smash Ace
The weekly Gamers Edge Tournaments will now be held at my apartment.

Dylan decided to impose a rule that he claimed to have had running since the tournaments began(1 year ago) last night. The rule only allowed people to have 1 free hour of friendlies after the tournament. Since Dylan is neither supplying the additional wii's or brawl copies this was unacceptable to me and others.

So from now on they'll be at my place with a few rule changes.
1. No door fee
2. MetaKnight is banned just as he would of been post judgement.

Otherwise everything remains the same. We do have schedule options avaliable now that we aren't on Gamers Edge schedule.

We could infact do this on a weekend. I'll just put that idea out here for people to decide if they want to run with it.

But any schedule change will occur after next week. So to clarify

Thursday the 19th of Feb, Brawl tournament starting at 6pm.
1360 Cypress Point Drive APT 106
Rock Hill SC, 29730

The Director

Smash Lord
So...Gamer's Edge is dead. Wonderful. :(

I guess this is what happens when I don't show up for a couple of weeks?

I vote we start doing this on Saturdays. I'll garuntee that we'll get better turnouts every week, and I know for sure that I won't miss even one. :chuckle:

*edit* so does this destroy any notion of a future judgement rescheduling? I don't think Adam wants 50+ people in his apartment...dark images of Billfest spring to mind...

*edit 2* okay so now that we have options open for the weekend open, are we going to HERB? I would be interested and I would drive.

*edit 3* since we're not GE anymore, we need a name. A cool name. Nothing with bro in the title. That's ghey.

*edit 4* (lol I think this is a new record of edits for me...) I can bring a tv and Wii every week. (if we do this on Saturday, which we SHOULD!)

Argyris

Smash Journeyman
So...Gamer's Edge is dead. Wonderful. :(

I guess this is what happens when I don't show up for a couple of weeks?

I vote we start doing this on Saturdays. I'll garuntee that we'll get better turnouts every week, and I know for sure that I won't miss even one. :chuckle:

*edit* so does this destroy any notion of a future judgement rescheduling? I don't think Adam wants 50+ people in his apartment...dark images of Billfest spring to mind...

*edit 2* okay so now that we have options open for the weekend open, are we going to HERB? I would be interested and I would drive.

*edit 3* since we're not GE anymore, we need a name. A cool name. Nothing with bro in the title. That's ghey.

*edit 4* (lol I think this is a new record of edits for me...) I can bring a tv and Wii every week. (if we do this on Saturday, which we SHOULD!)
I think it's safe to say that there's not gonna be a Judgement but I could be wrong.

I really wanna go to HERB myself.

Personally, I think the name that was used before, Smashing ARS, sounds good.

I wouldn't mind Saturday either as long as I can get a ride. I myself can provide a TV as long as someone else provides a Wii. If nobody's got a Wii to bring, I can just bring my Gamecube and MELEE.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Well im down for swithching it up if we all agree.

As Adam stated, not this next week, but the following is the earliest. I can try to get Saturdays off, but im 100x morelikley to get the night shift off (so 8-4 generally)

Plus its the weekend. Who cares if its late, no school Sunday

And Ryan/Khai can come get whooped up some too, lol

The Director

Smash Lord
That's a good point. If we switch to the weekends, is this going to be a daytime affair or a night gig? I won't be able to come this week, as it's still on a weekday, but once we switch to the weekends I'll be onboard for the longhaul.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
I'll try to make it to the next one of these. We were having trouble making it this semester as khai had a later Thursday class (I don't know if it just didn't occur to him this was a bad time to take a class or what but it was pretty scrub). We were going to try to make it this upcoming week and just miss doubles so we should make it no problem.

MK ban is epic.

No door fee is ultra epic.

Lareit

Smash Ace
I'll try to make it to the next one of these. We were having trouble making it this semester as khai had a later Thursday class (I don't know if it just didn't occur to him this was a bad time to take a class or what but it was pretty scrub). We were going to try to make it this upcoming week and just miss doubles so we should make it no problem.

MK ban is epic.

No door fee is ultra epic.
Ryan&khai, would a weekend tournament be more avaliable for you two?

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
Ryan&khai, would a weekend tournament be more avaliable for you two?
I think so. Khai's out of town atm but as its pretty much impossible to make it for the full Thursday tournament I can only assume that weekends will be much better.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Cool beans, this is actually gonna probzly help my attendance record. I know I'll be there this thursday

Jaqen

Smash Rookie
Hey now, Saturday is date night! ;D

I had fun even though I almost got 3 stocked most of my matches. Luckily I barely avoided that embarrassment...

zCasanova

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be able to come on Saturdays--can't request every weekend off.

If we're going to continue with the $10 doubles and $5 singles, we should keep it Thursday night and do the Saturday thing as a bi-weekly.

With the entry fee being lower, and no door fee being charged, that should be plenty of extra money for everyone to both weekly Thursdays and bi-weekly Saturdays.

edit: At the next weekly, I'm going to set up a live feed.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Devin, realistically that way too much requesting

Thats 6 request a month. When life comes up (B day, anniversaries, ect) u can't request off :/

Request MORNINGS sat or off, thats much more realistic. 6 o'clock is a good startime

Yep

zCasanova

Smash Lord
Realistically, people aren't expected to make it every time a tournament occurs--you schedule Smash around work/life, not the other way around.

With that point made, there are many of us who have managed to do just the opposite to cosistently make the Thursday weeklies, and the reason for keeping them on Thursdays would be to maintain a certain level of loyalty to those who have made that commitment.

Nine times out of then, the reason we don't have people is because they choose not come. Ali & Peter could make it every week, if they liked. If Joe could not be sick, he could make it quite a bit more often and if Peyton jumped on his schoolwork earlier, he could make it as well. Smashing on a weekly basis requires a certain amount of discipline/commitment. Not to mention the fact that these are weeklies, which means that due to the fact that they occur more often, a higher number of people are less likely to attend them than monthlies or bi-weeklies.

The point being, many things factor into attendance, not just the day of the week a tournament falls on--if you have a weekly on every Saturday of every week, you're still going to have low turnouts! There just aren't that many dedicated Smashers in our area and that aside... they would still be weeklies! When we did have high turnouts at GE, it was due to a bunch of scrubs showing up because they had nothing else to do, not because they were seeking competition over Smashboards.

We have the weeklies because they're convenient and they allow us to play Brawl... weekly. Why penalize those of us who enjoy doing just that? If Saturday is more convenient for you, then there are plenty of other tournaments to attend nearly every weekend and I'd be more than happy to carpool with you to wherever they are.

In the end, having weekly Saturdays instead of Thursdays won't necessarily provide a heavier turnout. If that's all that we're looking for, then we need to hold monthlies. This would not only allow for more attendees, because of the chance to plan in advance, but also due to the tournament's lesser frequency. When it comes down to it, I'm willing to bet that the same people that don't attend on Thursdays won't attend on Saturdays, not because of the tournament's date, but due to work/school projects/sick and among many other johns, a lack of an obligation to Smash. The same excuses are going to be made, regardless of when the tournaments are held.

Bottom-line: it's just as unrealistic to expect people with jobs to be able to attend on Saturdays as it is to expect those with school to attend on Thursdays— while you may gain three, you could also lose just as many. Why try to fix what isn't broken?

This decision ultimately lies with Adam, it's his house and I'll respect whatever he decides the outcome to be. However, keep those of us who have stuck through game time prizes, 4-man tournaments, and single-elimination brackets in mind.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Rofl long post is long. And I could've actually made it last thursday, my techer postponed my project till monday :/ So yeah...

Argyris

Smash Journeyman
Devin's got a point. It's a give-and-take situation. We keep Thursday, school people have troubles, we switch to Saturday and work people have problems coming.

Out of curiosity, though, what is everyone's situation with Fridays? Just an idea to throw out there. I don't care what the decision is, as long as I can get a ride at least every once in a while.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Im set for thursday's actually, as is Devin.

Wall of text aside, Colkege age ppl may be in College. Ryan/Khai always wanted a Sat tourney and with good reason.: 4-5 hrs driving during the schoolweek at night. Sat is more convenient for them. And they hsve expressed interest ariund it as well for othee attendees

And it is dedication and dilegence thst keeps the regulars coming, win or loose.

However, Thursdays are in stone for ppl like me, dev, eric who work, and thats problematic.

In short, we COULD gain ftom saturday's biweekly but NOT at the established Thursday's expence.

Right??

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I'll be bored as broluv without bro's during the weekdays if we have monthlies, but I will probzly be able to make more of them if they are montlies

Lareit

Smash Ace
monthlies are too far apart for me.
It's neither enough brawl for my taste and has the potential to expand beyond what my apartment could hold easily

Truth be told if we want to have large tournaments another venue would have to be found. Maybe Mega_Smash will have luck with his efforts.

Currently I'll be sticking with Thursday weeklies.
And I'll be putting Saturday Bi-Weeklies into the rotation at a later time.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
I agree with Adam--

Continue the weeklies and throw bi-weeklies or monthlies into the rotation.

Anyway, hope everyone had a nice V-day.

I learned two things tonight:

Penne arrabbiata is the ****.

AND

That **** Coraline movie is scary as ****.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
O.o seriously? I wanna see it now. i saw the Uninvited and that movie was pretty darn gross, but it was good all in all.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
Adam's already answered that.

He said he'd throw them in at a later time and/or we may need a bigger venue.

Carmen and I are looking at a venue right now, not 100% sure that we can get it, but it's still a good maybe.

We can talk about all of this on Thursday--Justin/Adam want to come down for some Smash tomorrow?

Lareit

Smash Ace
Adam's already answered that.

He said he'd throw them in at a later time and/or we may need a bigger venue.

Carmen and I are looking at a venue right now, not 100% sure that we can get it, but it's still a good maybe.

We can talk about all of this on Thursday--Justin/Adam want to come down for some Smash tomorrow?

Yeah i'd be down for that.

Top Bottom