• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Gameplay Q&A and General Discussion Thread

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Up-B is a good OoS option that can catch some opponents by surprise, sorta like Roy's Blazer. I think it's a pretty good move.
I did analyze how well Corrin can use the move for recovery, and unfortunately, if he gets sent flying too far at a low angle, that mediocre air speed could prove to be detrimental in his chances of getting back onto the stage.

I did monkey around with some custom equipment on Corrin; two of which being the Glider and Anchor Jump bonus effects. When I threw a Reverse Warlock Punch at Corrin, even though Corrin's falling speed and gravity were increased by Anchor Jump, the increased air speed by Glider helped ensure a successful recovery for him. However, Corrin still pretty much meets an inevitable TKO if he gets sent flying too far at a low angle.

Simply put, if you're using Corrin, beware of any low angled knockback attacks, like Ganondorf's f-tilt.

StarForce

Smash Ace
Hyrule, Mushroom, Sarasaland, Nohr Kingdoms
I did analyze how well Corrin can use the move for recovery, and unfortunately, if he gets sent flying too far at a low angle, that mediocre air speed could prove to be detrimental in his chances of getting back onto the stage.

I did monkey around with some custom equipment on Corrin; two of which being the Glider and Anchor Jump bonus effects. When I threw a Reverse Warlock Punch at Corrin, even though Corrin's falling speed and gravity were increased by Anchor Jump, the increased air speed by Glider helped ensure a successful recovery for him. However, Corrin still pretty much meets an inevitable TKO if he gets sent flying too far at a low angle.

Simply put, if you're using Corrin, beware of any low angled knockback attacks, like Ganondorf's f-tilt.
In the event Corrin gets stage spiked diagonally on non wall vertical omegas, there's basically not much hope of making it back then. So can we list this as a con or weakness?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In the event Corrin gets stage spiked diagonally on non wall vertical omegas, there's basically not much hope of making it back then. So can we list this as a con or weakness?
Frankly, any kind of low-angled knockback could mean bad news for Corrin, including diagonal Meteor Smashes.

D

Deleted member

Corrin can actually recover from pretty deep if you Dragon Ascent straight up and then hold forwards since she gets a pretty nice momentum/lift boost at the end of Dragon Ascent.

There are situations where recovering straight up with Dragon Ascent will get Corrin to the ledge when Dragon Ascent directly towards the ledge would not.

Aside from simply holding up and then drifting forwards, there are a few other angles which can be taken all which affect Corrin's possible distance on Dragon Ascent.

Horizontal Dragon Ascent still covers the most raw horizontal distance but straight-up-drift-forward Dragon Ascent covers enough to the point that it'll be just as usable if not more depending on Corrin's positioning, the same goes for default Dragon Ascent -> drfit forwards (or hold stick forwards near the top of the ascent).

I think it would require more testing before we can conclude that it is truly "mediocre" or "bad" because Corrin does have some solid range potential IMO it just requires playing with the Dragon Ascent angles.

That and

I did analyze how well Corrin can use the move for recovery, and unfortunately, if he gets sent flying too far at a low angle...
This applies to most of the cast anyways.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Corrin can actually recover from pretty deep if you Dragon Ascent straight up and then hold forwards since she gets a pretty nice momentum/lift boost at the end of Dragon Ascent.

There are situations where recovering straight up with Dragon Ascent will get Corrin to the ledge when Dragon Ascent directly towards the ledge would not.

Aside from simply holding up and then drifting forwards, there are a few other angles which can be taken all which affect Corrin's possible distance on Dragon Ascent.

Horizontal Dragon Ascent still covers the most raw horizontal distance but straight-up-drift-forward Dragon Ascent covers enough to the point that it'll be just as usable if not more depending on Corrin's positioning, the same goes for default Dragon Ascent -> drfit forwards (or hold stick forwards near the top of the ascent).

I think it would require more testing before we can conclude that it is truly "mediocre" or "bad" because Corrin does have some solid range potential IMO it just requires playing with the Dragon Ascent angles.
Perhaps I need to look at Draconic Ascent more thoroughly then. I did notice that Corrin does maintain some horizontal momentum for a while after moving forward with Draconic Ascent.

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
is there any way to quickly cancel the dragon lunge pin besides waiting an hour

D

Deleted member

is there any way to quickly cancel the dragon lunge pin besides waiting an hour
No there isn't.

Considering the number of times I've seen this question asked I almost want it to be included in the thread title or as part of a FAQ in the OP or something.

May as well tag the mods and see what they think.

Raziek Raziek or @M@v

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
No there isn't.

Considering the number of times I've seen this question asked I almost want it to be included in the thread title or as part of a FAQ in the OP or something.

Raziek Raziek or @M@v
oh well its my bad for not actually looking through the thread :| my B

BTW jab jab dragon lunge pin is god like

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Has anyone performed footstool shenanigans with dair? Videos?

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
Has anyone performed footstool shenanigans with dair? Videos?
in the lab i have gotten fair>d tilt>footstool>dair>dragonlunge pin and starting at like 50% ish you can get a footstool after a full paralyzer
Not sure how legit it is though

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
No there isn't.

Raziek Raziek or @M@v
If you want to give me a list of stuff you think should be added as an 'FAQ' section, I can add that to the OP.

D

Deleted member

If you want to give me a list of stuff you think should be added as an 'FAQ' section, I can add that to the OP.
I'll roll some ideas around and see what sort of stuff I can come up with.

I feel like a little more time should be given to really sort of get through all of the basic stuff that Corrin can do and from there form a FAQ sort of thing. The DL cancel question was the big one that I've been seeing a lot, and I just figured that it'd be better to have a visible place for it instead of it being asked x number of times every time someone enters the thread.

A community consensus on the common stuff may help as well if a FAQ is to be formed, although my intention wasn't to insinuate that a completely formal FAQ section should be added (although if it can reasonably have enough content, I feel like it would be a good idea personally).

I suppose if we're running with the idea of sort having a FAQ/quick reference thing in the OP it could include stuff on stage or character-specific things on which notable Corrin stuff works (certain DL things work on X stages, certain strings work on Y characters at Z percents etc.). This is all just off the top of my head though, and considering that I'm one to so often be a little ridiculous when it comes to stuff that I consider "quick-reference" material (read: I go a little overboard) feel free to tell me if the aforementioned material would be irrelevant/inappropriate for the purposes of a general FAQ.

tl;dr: My whole mention of a FAQ implementation was really a just a thought that came to mind as something that may be logistically helpful, I don't mean to assert that it absolutely should be a thing, I feel like that decision should be left to a consensus decision.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Not sure if it was mentioned already, but if you press B fast enough after the initial hop during Dragon Lunge, you can immediately stab the ground without having to do it during your descent.

EDIT: You can also use the A button, so sliding your finger from B to A works even better.

Last edited:

Caiahar

Smash Rookie
So uh

Anyone know what stages are good for Corrin?
I also play on 3DS, so I don't have stuff like Lylat, Delfino, Caste Siege, Town&City, or Smashville.

I've been trying to figure out if Arena Ferox and Prism Tower are good stages

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
So uh

Anyone know what stages are good for Corrin?
I also play on 3DS, so I don't have stuff like Lylat, Delfino, Caste Siege, Town&City, or Smashville.

I've been trying to figure out if Arena Ferox and Prism Tower are good stages
I think anything with platforms are good. Allows for DL shenanigans.

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
So tipper jab 1 is pretty good. It's got some frame trap utility but from what I can tell, I can't get it to combo into anything but jab 2. It's got pretty decent range for a jab and when you get the tipper, it moves the opponent toward corrin. From here, I've been grabbing people out of shield.

Tipper usmash is underwhelm against grounded targets but if you can utilt then shff, you can bait an air dodge leading to a tipper usmash. Good damage, but there are better options.

Dsmash has a really nice tipper. It hits from behind and unlike marth, it's active at the same time as the forward dsmash. Great for punishing rolls too and can kill quite early at the ledge.

Dragon Lunge's tipper is amazing. It can combo from fair for the kill. You can ledge guard with it and if you aim it for a 2 frame ledge punish the tipper will kill but if you miss, you will get a stage pin as well where you are in a scary position to punish get up options with your kick.

Fsmash, everyone's favorite. The tip can be aimed down straight or upward. If you tilt the fsmash downward, you can tipper 2 frame ledge grabs and regrabs.

These are all the tippers I could find. At first I thought nair might have a tipper since corrin uses his "spear" hand. Whenever corrin uses that weapon, it seems to have a tipper effect on it. The tippers I've listed all use the spear-like animation. But with nair, corrin uses both weapons with the spear starting from behind. I've tested the damage on both the sword and the spear at close and tipper range and found no differences. Both nair and dair look like they should have tippers but don't. Also, fthrow and back throw both have tippers if a third character(not the one being thrown) jumps into the spear. It has ridiculous knockback. From what I can tell, the sword doesn't have any tippers on Corrin's moveset. And if it does, it may only be in terms of angle and/or knockback. Can anyone find tippers I may have missed?

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
I think anything with platforms are good. Allows for DL shenanigans.
Not only that, but Battlefield and Dream Land are great for catching your opponent on a lower platform with Usmash. At that range, it's devastating. Also any stage that you can stab the wall, like Duck Hunt, you can use for added recovery

Windwraith

Smash Rookie
I think that about covers it for tippers. D-smash is great for mix-ups, but by and far, DL and F-smash have the most potent tippers, I find. DL, if you get it just right, can be a very disrespectful gimp-kill. As per F-smash, one tilted downwards is just so satisfying when you properly deny someone recovery.

FMHappy

Smash Cadet
Sorry if these are dumb, but I have a few questions regarding Corrin:
-Is Usmash and dtilt/ftilt good OOS options?

-Is it better to FF nair and fair over normal fair and nair?

-Whats a better kill throw, dthrow or up throw?

-What are some good approach options for Corrin?
(sorry for bad format)

Est

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have advice for the dedede matchup? I feel like it should be a good matchup, but I played a Wario main evenly in tournament yesterday until he switched to d3 and bodied me... Evidently I'm missing something.

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
Sorry if these are dumb, but I have a few questions regarding Corrin:
-Is Usmash and dtilt/ftilt good OOS options?

-Is it better to FF nair and fair over normal fair and nair?

-Whats a better kill throw, dthrow or up throw?

-What are some good approach options for Corrin?
(sorry for bad format)
Don't be sorry! She's a great new character that we're all learning together

1) My personal one is Dtilt, it comes out in 5 frames and leads to good combo strings.

2) Uthrow, 100%. Dthrow is potentially better if you are very near the ledge, but Uthrow has more KBG and launches straight up. Also, Uthrow comes out instantly, so as the animation starts your opponent cannot react as fast if it were Dthrow, possibly leading to improper DI.

3) I guess it depends on who you're fighting, but I like using Bair as it is very safe on shield because it pushes you back, SH Fair is good because it has very little end lag and decent range, also FF Nair and Fair are pretty safe for the same reasoning. Also, Nair is great to mix up in the air if your opponent likes to air-dodge, as it stays out a decent amount of time.

Lemonade Candy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LemonadeAcid
If there was a meta game thread, people wouldnt make dumb threads repeatedly. Just saying

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
What is that?
I posted about it earlier on this page:

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but if you press B fast enough after the initial hop during Dragon Lunge, you can immediately stab the ground without having to do it during your descent.

EDIT: You can also use the A button, so sliding your finger from B to A works even better.

D

Deleted member 189823

Oh, so that's what they meant about the B > A thing.
So wait, people just spam this? Why's that? This attack has plenty of lag if it whiffs/hits shield. Not to mention it's really strong, so it should serve as a KO option.

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
Oh, so that's what they meant about the B > A thing.
So wait, people just spam this? Why's that? This attack has plenty of lag if it whiffs/hits shield. Not to mention it's really strong, so it should serve as a KO option.
Well the point of the instant DL is that it immediately hits the ground which gives you a few options, and good damage if you stick your opponent, and I'm not sure how quick it is but it's for sure under 10 frames. It's a great tool imo

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Well the point of the instant DL is that it immediately hits the ground which gives you a few options, and good damage if you stick your opponent, and I'm not sure how quick it is but it's for sure under 10 frames. It's a great tool imo
It's about F7. 4 for the hop and 3 for the pin.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
I understand that this is still ridiculously early to know any matchups for sure, but i just want quick opinions from people who have been playing corrin since i am considering her as a secondary. How does she fair against cloud,mk, zss? can she do okay in those mu`s from your experiences so far? I heard cloud boards saying they struggle with corrin a bit because of her range

Casey Chase

Undine~
3DS FC
1521-4138-1029
Dair offstage is so much fun for gimping characters with garbage vertical recoveries. I love using it in Corrin dittos when I have the stock lead. No idea who dies first (though it's probably the initiator). It's high risk, high reward anyways

I haven't really tried it on characters who can recover high, so it's probably useless against them

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Shad to side b seems like a really strong option for Corrin. Might be good to mix up the side b with counter as well.

Merfect

Learn your true self
NNID
Merfectman
Shad to side b seems like a really strong option for Corrin. Might be good to mix up the side b with counter as well.
Wow, this does seem like a good option! Also, just tested that from the ledge you can let go of the ledge -> Double Jump AD back onto the stage -> Side B pin before you land.

Backwardinduction1

Smash Rookie
What would you guys describe Corrin's archetype as? People on discord told me all-rounder, but I'm not sure if it would be more appropriate to label him/her as a zoner or not. Do you guys find Corrin to me more offensive or defensive, and what archetype would that translate well into?

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
What would you guys describe Corrin's archetype as? People on discord told me all-rounder, but I'm not sure if it would be more appropriate to label him/her as a zoner or not. Do you guys find Corrin to me more offensive or defensive, and what archetype would that translate well into?
Personally, I'd say she's a spacer. With her Fsmash, Bair, SideB, and being a swordsman in general, she's finds solace in spacing her opponents out. She's also great with mixups due to her SideB and NeutralB. She has good combos once she can get in, but she's rather on the slow side, so it's good to be patient with her. I wouldn't consider her a zoner, as her one projectile is rather slow and predictable for zoning, but regardless it is still a great move in the right situation

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Personally, I'd say she's a spacer. With her Fsmash, Bair, SideB, and being a swordsman in general, she's finds solace in spacing her opponents out. She's also great with mixups due to her SideB and NeutralB. She has good combos once she can get in, but she's rather on the slow side, so it's good to be patient with her. I wouldn't consider her a zoner, as her one projectile is rather slow and predictable for zoning, but regardless it is still a great move in the right situation
Her neutral b is decently safe because of the second hitbox. They have to jump over you, and you don't have to charge it so you can react.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
No there isn't.

Raziek Raziek or @M@v
How about someone just make a dedicated (and probably stickied) Dragon Lunge thread? It's such a deep move that I feel it warrants one. I was waiting for more information to come out about it before proposing the thread, but it seems like it could help. The Soulless One has put in a lot of work so he could probably get first priority, but I wouldn't mind making it myself either. It can cover all the uses as well as debunk things like GRIP and such and such.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
So apparently people can tech out of dragon lunge. So far it seems to only happen when you cancel the move. However, I saw a Lucas tech when I did the side kick. Perhaps the kick missed so he was able to tech?

Would suck if opponents could tech to avoid the kick.

StarForce

Smash Ace
Hyrule, Mushroom, Sarasaland, Nohr Kingdoms
So apparently people can tech out of dragon lunge. So far it seems to only happen when you cancel the move. However, I saw a Lucas tech when I did the side kick. Perhaps the kick missed so he was able to tech?

Would suck if opponents could tech to avoid the kick.
It would.

Anyone goes for DA finisher after a projectile stun under the kill % guarantee of DA? Been doing house chores and can't test so when's DA Kill % confirmed?

Top Bottom