• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Gameplay Q&A and General Discussion Thread

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
You could catch jump while trying to react to a neutral getup. You would need to aim straight or up though.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
Found a neat set up. Falling up air on their shield (facing away from them). Bait out the shield grab if they have a shield grabbing habit. Down smash right after. Tipper down smash early kill. Downsmash is 5 frames faster than forward smash so down smash is better. Also covers if they roll in to you.

If you think they air dodge a lot and will air dodge, forward throw or back throw to approaching full hop DFS and if they are close enough the bite will get them.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Do you mean after a Dair?

I have seen people successfully footstool out of aerial Dair but it requires a notable amount of precision of course.
Yup,after a dair, if the opponent is slightly above you, wouldn't you be able to footstool?
Of course, it would require precision, but I can do that stuff if I try.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
So tipper jab 1 is pretty good. It's got some frame trap utility but from what I can tell, I can't get it to combo into anything but jab 2. It's got pretty decent range for a jab and when you get the tipper, it moves the opponent toward corrin. From here, I've been grabbing people out of shield.

Tipper usmash is underwhelm against grounded targets but if you can utilt then shff, you can bait an air dodge leading to a tipper usmash. Good damage, but there are better options.

Dsmash has a really nice tipper. It hits from behind and unlike marth, it's active at the same time as the forward dsmash. Great for punishing rolls too and can kill quite early at the ledge.

Dragon Lunge's tipper is amazing. It can combo from fair for the kill. You can ledge guard with it and if you aim it for a 2 frame ledge punish the tipper will kill but if you miss, you will get a stage pin as well where you are in a scary position to punish get up options with your kick.

Fsmash, everyone's favorite. The tip can be aimed down straight or upward. If you tilt the fsmash downward, you can tipper 2 frame ledge grabs and regrabs.

These are all the tippers I could find. At first I thought nair might have a tipper since corrin uses his "spear" hand. Whenever corrin uses that weapon, it seems to have a tipper effect on it. The tippers I've listed all use the spear-like animation. But with nair, corrin uses both weapons with the spear starting from behind. I've tested the damage on both the sword and the spear at close and tipper range and found no differences. Both nair and dair look like they should have tippers but don't. Also, fthrow and back throw both have tippers if a third character(not the one being thrown) jumps into the spear. It has ridiculous knockback. From what I can tell, the sword doesn't have any tippers on Corrin's moveset. And if it does, it may only be in terms of angle and/or knockback. Can anyone find tippers I may have missed?
Going to merge this into gameplay thread, as it's mostly general enough that it doesn't need its own thread.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I've tested it very shortly with my brother, but it seems like when you stand at the far edge and are facing the platform, that you can cover rolls, get ups and jumps from the melee hitboxes of Fsmash.

Has any1 else noticed this?
This is fairly well known. Merging to gameplay thread.

Icedmana

Smash Rookie
Not sure if my previous question was answered, but is it possible for the opponent to tech out of DL when they're knocked down or tripped?
I think I misunderstood initially, so ninja edit.

Your opponent can tech when you do the jump cancel or let the pin expire.

Also worth noting is that they can spam shield while you have them pinned and they will get the tech pretty easily if you jump cancel. In light of that and that the jump cancel has some serious end lag, jump seems like a pretty poor choice out of pin unless you get them on the side of a stage.

Last edited:

TerumiLOLZ

Smash Apprentice
Lots of shield. Her only grab that really kills is fthrow at the ledge. Make sure not to drop shield if during side B. Roll behind it, and don't try to punish it unless you're at a good instant pin distance. Go for grabs fairly often to make them hesitate on witch time. What is giving you trouble specifically?
She edge guards me easy, I have trouble coming back on to the stage whether from the side or the air, and those smashes aren't fun to get hit by...

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Found a neat set up. Falling up air on their shield (facing away from them). Bait out the shield grab if they have a shield grabbing habit. Down smash right after. Tipper down smash early kill. Downsmash is 5 frames faster than forward smash so down smash is better. Also covers if they roll in to you.
To add to this, reverse Nair can be used to the same effect. Also, you can in fact use the front part of Nair, front of Uair, and Fair then do a turn-around D-smash (which is very easy).

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
She edge guards me easy, I have trouble coming back on to the stage whether from the side or the air, and those smashes aren't fun to get hit by...
Don't try to go through/challenge her. Keep your space. Her off stage game isn't too great especially if you go low. If she's staying on the ledge, watch out/airdodge through her bullets like you would Sheik's needles. You can still get two-framed by her Dsmash, but all of her smashes are really laggy, so you can punish if they whiff (or if you shield onstage.. Go for mostly ledge-snap options, since if you try to get fancy with pin stuff, you'll eat a smash to the face.

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
When do you guys go for counter? Coming from playing the spacies before Corrin, I'm not sure when the most advisable times for using it is.

Also, what's the better kill throw, dthrow or uthrow? I've read both.

Another one, how diagonally should I cstick for angled fsmashes?

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
When do you guys go for counter? Coming from playing the spacies before Corrin, I'm not sure when the most advisable times for using it is.

Also, what's the better kill throw, dthrow or uthrow? I've read both.
Keep it on standby for if the opponent over commits(IE a bad Bowser throwing FSmash or something) or as a landing mixup. Just.....don't rely on it or good players will start grabbing you out of it.

Speaking of grabs, UThrow for general purpose, DThrow if enraged, on a platform, or both.

@Locuan DTilt to UAir starts true comboing on Roy at 54%, stops after 122%, and starts killing at 107%. At 120%-122%, a double jump is required.

Last edited:

Piwah

Smash Rookie
I've got a friend looking to use Corrin in a small tournament, but he's not sure what to use to counter enemies Corrin has trouble with. Any suggestions?

D

Deleted member

:4diddy:

Not too hard to learn, good stage control, can close out stocks efficiently and has great MUs across the board. Tell him to go Diddy.

D

Deleted member 189823

Does anyone know which of N-Air or F-Air is better at combo'ing at early to mid percents? Along with that, are either of these safe at full range?

D

Deleted member

Does anyone know which of N-Air or F-Air is better at combo'ing at early to mid percents? Along with that, are either of these safe at full range?
It depends what sort of strings you're trying to do.

Fair has significantly better ending frames in the air (11 frames less than Nair), but Nair has one less frame of landing lag.

On top of that, Nair has greater KBG so there will be percents where strings started with Nair will not connect, but strings started with Fair will.

In regards to your specific question, it can be both at lower percents, but at mid-high-ish percents Fair starts to take over as the primary choice.

(Also, Nair is a nice choice at low-mid to mid percents because backside Nair can combo into Bair or Uair).

Although Nair does have 1 frame less landing lag (and I use it more for landing as a result), you can really use either Fair or Nair for landing strings (strings started from a landing aerial), but Fair is the definite choice for continuing aerial strings.

In regards to safety on shield, Nair is +0 on shield while Fair is -1 (when shield is dropped, that is. When the opponent does an option OoS (thus not incurring the 7 frames it takes to drop the shield), these moves go down to -7 and -8, respectively) so as long as you're not hitting the opponents shield well before you land (that is doing a falling Nair or Fair where you can't jump away after hitting shield), and as long as the opponent doesn't have very wide-reaching OoS options (even when the frame disadvantage is taken into account), you'll usually be okay (assuming you're hitting the aerials at max range, as you mentioned).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Counter Surge requires good reads if you want it to work. However, while it can be devastating if you block a heavy-hitting attack, it's less threatening if you block a weak attack.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
So, kinda gameplay-related, but apparently, according to one of Corrin's Tips, DThrow is supposed to be a combo throw. And I quote:
"Downward Throw – Hits in a wide radius, sending multiple foes skyward when Corrin stomps the ground, lining them up for a nice follow-up attack!"

....Yeah. Kinda dropped the ball on that one, Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

So, kinda gameplay-related, but apparently, according to one of Corrin's Tips, DThrow is supposed to be a combo throw. And I quote:
"Downward Throw – Hits in a wide radius, sending multiple foes skyward when Corrin stomps the ground, lining them up for a nice follow-up attack!"

....Yeah. Kinda dropped the ball on that one, Sakurai.
Well at 0% it is possible to get Double Jump Fair afterwards so they're not exactly lying lol.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Uthrow is definitely better for getting followup strings, but then staling it when it's a better killthrow...... Decisions decisions.

Seems to me like opponents always DI away from dthrow, so it pretty much guarantees stage control if used off-centre as they go out to the ledge from it. This does lead into potential fsmash territory at times.

I haven't yet decided whether saving uthrow is worth it for that extra 10 angle. Has any comparison test been done yet? It doesn't really feel like the KBG and angle have a huge advantage over dthrow, if it's anything less than 15% I'm inclined to use uthrow for possible strings instead of dthrow on the basis that getting 1 or 2 extra hits from using uthrow makes up for that percentage difference in kill. But if it's more than 15% it's probably debatable and worthwhile saving it. I'd like to work out what's completely optimal here.

Balloonicorn

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this has been discussed in detail already but what characters do you think would work well alongside Corrin as a secondary (or vice-versa)? I have a lot of fun playing Corrin but I tend to like playing a few characters in any game rather than having a dedicated main. I was thinking maybe Sonic or Yoshi- someone fast who can deal with zoning characters(I'm only pretending to know what I'm talking about here).

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Sorry if this has been discussed in detail already but what characters do you think would work well alongside Corrin as a secondary (or vice-versa)? I have a lot of fun playing Corrin but I tend to like playing a few characters in any game rather than having a dedicated main. I was thinking maybe Sonic or Yoshi- someone fast who can deal with zoning characters(I'm only pretending to know what I'm talking about here).
What about Cloud? He is quick, has good kill options and aerials, and can go up close and personal.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
I'm totally biased here, but Sheik is a pretty great idea. Just sic her on any bad matchups. I feel she's actually similar to Corrin in some ways, so it's definitely worth a shot.

Last edited:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I'll also be biased and agree with Yoshi as a good associate for Corrin.

Corrin's big weakness is poor approach in particular when he's forced to approach from off the ground. Yoshi on the other hand disallows any and all characters in the cast from using projectiles in this way by simply having better projectiles and a great approaching game with egglay as his lol-you-shielded-my-eggthrow trump card.

He happens to do well against all the matchups Corrin seems to suffer in while Corrin currently appears to do well in matchups Yoshi suffers in. With that said however, Yoshi requires some very precise spacing and eggthrow takes time to be completely consistently accurate with so he's not a pick up and play character.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Uthrow is definitely better for getting followup strings, but then staling it when it's a better killthrow...... Decisions decisions.

Seems to me like opponents always DI away from dthrow, so it pretty much guarantees stage control if used off-centre as they go out to the ledge from it. This does lead into potential fsmash territory at times.

I haven't yet decided whether saving uthrow is worth it for that extra 10 angle. Has any comparison test been done yet? It doesn't really feel like the KBG and angle have a huge advantage over dthrow, if it's anything less than 15% I'm inclined to use uthrow for possible strings instead of dthrow on the basis that getting 1 or 2 extra hits from using uthrow makes up for that percentage difference in kill. But if it's more than 15% it's probably debatable and worthwhile saving it. I'd like to work out what's completely optimal here.

http://smashboards.com/threads/corrin-kill-s.430429/

A 3-6% difference is pretty negligible. Not to mention that Uthrow is only better at 0 rage, which means that it would probably be fresh anyway.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Something I've been doing is SH Fair to DL. No idea if its worth doing, but it's a mix up that's been working well for me, the pin usually catching them and it's easy to kick away if they block it.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Been labbing, and DL kills hilariously early.I killed a Bowser with a tippered DL on the extreme right platform of Yoshi's story, at 70%.
Releasing an uncharged DFS but going for full bite is a good mindgame. Many enemies dodge their way towards me, only to be chomped.
DA is surprisingly good for a followup after fair strings. To ensure maximum height instead of reversing the move, push the analog back right when Corrin is bending the knees and stretching her wings.
Also, can confirm that pressing grab will pop the lance of DL, so you can avoid the thumb rolling business.

D

Deleted member 189823

I heard we can break shields if we charge a F-Smash next to someone. Is this true?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd like to point out that you need to be very careful when using Dragon Lunge, because fighters "can" grab Corrin while he's in the middle of using the attack.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
I heard we can break shields if we charge a F-Smash next to someone. Is this true?
Only on a damaged shield. If you do it on a fresh shield, prepare to be punished.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
What do you feel about Corrin's counter?
There have been complaints that it is OP.
I don't think it is, personally, but I will admit it kills slightly earlier than I expect.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't think it is, personally, but I will admit it kills slightly earlier than I expect.
It's a situational move, as it requires you to block a powerful attack if you want those quick KOs. Blocking weak attacks won't give you that KO reward until your opponents reach the higher damage percentages.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
It's a counter. It's a situational move that can kill if the opponent screws up the timing on a powerful attack but will get seen as OP because it kills if you counter a G&W 9 (I have seen someone seriously complain about this).

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Is waiting until the Dragon Lunge cancels a viable option? I am not sure if we can tech-chase if the opponent can get out during it.

I wish that we can just manually cancel the Lunge.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
It's a situational move, as it requires you to block a powerful attack if you want those quick KOs. Blocking weak attacks won't give you that KO reward until your opponents reach the higher damage percentages.
Woe betide you if your recovery has a hitbox though... RIP half the cast.

Along those lines - look out for the Sheik downB recovery habits for extra horizontal distance. They make themselves quite punishable.

There are a tonne of places for completely safe usage of our counter. Platform dragon lunge into counter against a needle camping Sheik on dreamland entertained me today.

We can get somewhat creative. There's a lot of room for experimentation.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Hmm, it's just that I love playing matches so if an opponent dies early it's no fun.Sort of annoying when I counter and they shoot upwards faster than Little Mac 's popularity dropped.

Top Bottom