• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Gameplay Q&A and General Discussion Thread

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Does anyone have any more tips for fighting Cloud besides edge guarding him? I can't seem to be able to deal with his range.Its the hardest match up for me.
Remember that against Clid, DL and Fsmash are your best friends.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Got a somewhat cool set-up against a good ZSS, today.

It's basically Sourspot DL near the ledge into footstool at ~ 11%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJcXWUcz4ZU

Timestamp is around 1:45

tried to recreate this in training, only works if the CPU does not jump immediately. After setting the dummy to control, it worked constantly, though.

D

Deleted member 189823

Press down.
Doesn't work. Try again.
I would've figured you just Shield, kind of like cancelling Samus' Charge Shot and DK's punch.

I don't have a WiiU, that's why I ask here.

Got a somewhat cool set-up against a good ZSS, today.

It's basically Sourspot DL near the ledge into footstool at ~ 11%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJcXWUcz4ZU

Timestamp is around 1:45

tried to recreate this in training, only works if the CPU does not jump immediately. After setting the dummy to control, it worked constantly, though.
'dat happy coincidence, lawl. It was awesome.
And I'm sort of impressed that was actually a pretty solid ZSS. Did all the right things.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
How do you cancel the Pin once you've pinned your opponent down? You know, without jumping I mean.
You'll eventually end the attack automatically if you don't press anything. However, you are taking a gamble in a free-for-all bout, since other fighters can still grab Corrin while he has someone pinned down with Dragon Lunge. As such, it's better to do a follow-up, instead of just standing still like a bull's eye.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
'dat happy coincidence, lawl. It was awesome.
And I'm sort of impressed that was actually a pretty solid ZSS. Did all the right things.
The moment you post a replay you are sort of proud of and the one being complemented for their playstyle is the opponent... XD

D

Deleted member 189823

To be honest, it's indirectly complimenting you as well. When you do a badass montage 0-Death'ing kids in For Glory, you get called out on it and that your skill isn't legit. In this case, you pulled that off against an actually competent player doing things right.

I know how it feels, so I wouldn't want to do that to you as well.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
To be honest, it's indirectly complimenting you as well. When you do a badass montage 0-Death'ing kids in For Glory, you get called out on it and that your skill isn't legit. In this case, you pulled that off against an actually competent player doing things right.

I know how it feels, so I wouldn't want to do that to you as well.
Thanks, I was suspecting you were going for that, though ^_^

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XkHboe72qE

So... I found this video, is it actually possible to cancel side b pin? I've had something similar on umbra clock tower platforms but only assumed it canceled because of the platforms going away.
I'm sure that just has to do with the fact that the edge is angled away and his momentum was away as well. The game was confused and it initially read it as a pin,but his movement pushed him out of range. So yes it technically is a cancel, but it's more like a ledge cancel, and even if it were possible to get consistently (and is likely impossible to di in the ground) it seems pretty useless, seeing as how you have to waste your double jump and be at an extremely specific spot for it to activate.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So whats the best control setup for Corrin? Like I hear L should be use for specials for the c-bounce but anything else I should have?

Laitome

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-0929-1203
Out of curiosity does anyone know how fast the side-b->(immediate) A quick pin is?

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I'd like to point out that literally everything cancels out DFS projectile part.
Like Mario's fireballs. His fireballs.
Also, small detail, but the first hit of Corrin's jab is the only move in her entire arsenal that transforms a body part but does not give her that mask thingy.
Other than DFS shot cancel, I'm in love with this character.I got an incredible kill where I ran offstage, shot an uncharged DFS, and charged the bite to kill a recovering Bayonetta.

Nah

Smash Champion
I'd like to point out that literally everything cancels out DFS projectile part.
Like Mario's fireballs. His fireballs.
That has bugged me too for a very long time, since all of Robin's projectiles bar the almighty Thoron clank with almost everything. It makes no sense from one perspective why some weak ass fireballs neutralize powerful looking projectiles, but there is a reason for it.

The game's programming has it so that all non-aerial moves will clank if their damages are within 8 or 9% (I don't remember which it is) of each other. Mario's fireballs do 5%, and a fully charged Dragon Fang Shot is 13%. 13-5=8, so it's within the limit.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Dragon Fang Shot also has an inconvenience where after it damages a fighter, you have to wait for the fighter to touch ground before the attack can deal any knockback again. Apparently, moves and items that can paralyze fighters cannot paralyze them more than once whenever they're airborne.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Dragon Fang Shot also has an inconvenience where after it damages a fighter, you have to wait for the fighter to touch ground before the attack can deal any knockback again. Apparently, moves and items that can paralyze fighters cannot paralyze them more than once whenever they're airborne.
I could live with that, if it didn't lose to literally any hitbox ever.I shot a fully charged DFS at Wario's bike when he was driving it toward me, and it just ****ing vanished,I mean come on.
That bite, though, is just pure art.A thing of beauty.I just love ending stocks with it.
Another interesting bit of trivia, only Corrin, Kirby, and Greninja can be grouped under all three categories of Swordfighter,Brawler,and Projectiler.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I could live with that, if it didn't lose to literally any hitbox ever.I shot a fully charged DFS at Wario's bike when he was driving it toward me, and it just ****ing vanished,I mean come on.
That bite, though, is just pure art.A thing of beauty.I just love ending stocks with it.
Another interesting bit of trivia, only Corrin, Kirby, and Greninja can be grouped under all three categories of Swordfighter,Brawler,and Projectiler.
I did do some Training mode experiments with Corrin and Bowser Jr., and it is odd how the Clown Cannon can stop even a full power Dragon Fang Shot. I also tested how Counter Surge can handle Clown Kart Dash, and you won't exactly get any quick KOs until Bowser Jr. is at a higher damage percentage. For Koopa Meteor, however, block that with Counter Surge and Bowser Jr. can kiss his shell good-bye.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
So whats the best control setup for Corrin? Like I hear L should be use for specials for the c-bounce but anything else I should have?
I use what I use for Yoshi.

L jump
Z shield
R grab
C Attack

Rationale:
Jump on L trigger allows fine control of spacing with aerials without having to use claw grip.
Z shield allows use of option-selects, greater precision for perfect shielding compared to a dumb giant trigger.
R grab because it has to go somewhere.
C attack for aerial microspacing during aerial attacks caused by bug of using smash.

I don't rate c-bounce or B-sticking. It makes some inputs easier but it's completely possible to do all of them anyway, as I learned through Yoshi egglay before those were popularised I don't use them nor recommend them. They're a crutch.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I must have fought nearly every character with Corrin by note, and the only trouble I have is with Sanic, though even that might just be my doing badly against a Sonic of any skill level.
It's good when your character has moves that keeps them a few kilometers away from you lol.

EDIT: Question, does Corrin's smashes and DL extend her hurtbox?

Last edited:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I must have fought nearly every character with Corrin by note, and the only trouble I have is with Sanic, though even that might just be my doing badly against a Sonic of any skill level.
It's good when your character has moves that keeps them a few kilometers away from you lol.
I played a very good Sonic main in locals yesterday who moved to Mario afterwards. The matchup is pretty Corrin favoured. When the vod goes up I'll make sure it goes in the video thread.

The trick is to simply avoid doing unsafe things. Sonic is a punish heavy character who typically plays patiently waiting for you to do something with endlag that he can then punish freely. Don't give him easy endlag to punish and his world is much harder.

Matchup specific things to know about are DFS freezing spindash and dragonlunge beating spindash too.

Sonic sucks in the air and Corrin LOVES opponents that are above her, if you get Sonic above you he's juggle food.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I played a very good Sonic main in locals yesterday who moved to Mario afterwards. The matchup is pretty Corrin favoured. When the vod goes up I'll make sure it goes in the video thread.

The trick is to simply avoid doing unsafe things. Sonic is a punish heavy character who typically plays patiently waiting for you to do something with endlag that he can then punish freely. Don't give him easy endlag to punish and his world is much harder.

Matchup specific things to know about are DFS freezing spindash and dragonlunge beating spindash too.

Sonic sucks in the air and Corrin LOVES opponents that are above her, if you get Sonic above you he's juggle food.
Thanks! Could you also answer the question of my edit above?

Last edited:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Thanks! Could you also answer the question of my edit above?
Yes they do extend the hurtbox. This is a problem against opponents with disjointed attacks that know how to abuse it. I've seen Sheiks and swordies with good microspacing punish the extended hurtbox.

Most embarrassing moment so far was a Marth that PP'd away to cause an fsmash to whiff then scored a tipper on the extended hurtbox.

Be aware of it. The meta is going to move towards opponents punishing us for it at high level just as Pikachu's Quick Attacks get routinely punished for their extended hurtbox.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
sorry if the following is common knowledge, already (I havn't seen it been posted here before, though), but you can Pin the ground immediately after a short hop fair...

again, sorry if this is already known amongst you guys :)

Lone V

Smash Rookie
NNID
LoneWolf_XIII
Anyone have some advice on how to approach projectile heavy characters with Corrin? I was playing versus a decently good defensive Toon Link / Megaman recently and I had a hard time getting in close. Pretty much anything clanks with DFS and destroys the projectile, instapin DL gets predictable quickly, Fair and Nair seemed only only relatively safe, Bair was good but a little too slow.

Also, what out of shield options do you guys tend to use the most?

Last edited:

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have some advice on how to approach projectile heavy characters with Corrin? I was playing versus a decently good defensive Toon Link / Megaman recently and I had a hard time getting in close. Literally anything clanks with DFS and destroys the projectile, instapin DL gets predictable quickly, Fair and Nair seemed only only relatively safe, Bair was good but a little too slow.

Also, what out of shield options do you guys tend to use the most?
i cant say anything to TL/megaman, since i didnt fight any good ones yet.

but regarding out of shield options, i tend to use dtilt or nair (depending on character and %) the most when the opponent is close on shield. if im perfect shielding a longer ranged smash attack or any attack that hits from farer away, im using dragon lunge most of the time to punish quick and get in some serious damage. also upair is a good option for moves that bounce from your shield like ZSS' down b.
but i really have to stress out, how much i love dtilt out of shield. you can get so much utility out of it at a wide range of pecents.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Why do people keep saying that "literally" everything cancels DFS? Has anyone tested that yet? I know that a lot of moves do, but to say that there isn't a single move in the game that doesn't is potentially misinformation.

Nah

Smash Champion
Why do people keep saying that "literally" everything cancels DFS? Has anyone tested that yet? I know that a lot of moves do, but to say that there isn't a single move in the game that doesn't is potentially misinformation.
I'd imagine that like with Elthunder, Crash Bomber and peanuts don't cancel out a charged Dragon Fang Shot. And probably every non-transcendent projectile that does 4% or less. But would have to check though.

Lone V

Smash Rookie
NNID
LoneWolf_XIII
Yeah, you're right of course. Not literally everything, that was just a figure of speech. But the vast majority of the attacks I've seen it hit have cancelled it, and it really wasn't very helpful at all in those matchups as far as I could tell.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Even Bayonetta's bullet arts cancel it out from what I heard.

Last edited:

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
I just found out that you can angle an immediate fsmash by flicking the cstick in the chosen side direction, then holding up or down on the movement stick really quickly after.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Yeah, you're right of course. Not literally everything, that was just a figure of speech. But the vast majority of the attacks I've seen it hit have cancelled it, and it really wasn't very helpful at all in those matchups as far as I could tell.
I suppose that therein lies my issue. The word "literally", by definition, is used to specify that you're not speaking figuratively and that the words you're using should be taken at their literal meaning. I do hope that someone will test this, as I'm sure there are some weaker moves that a charged/uncharged DFS will punch through.

I'm of course not saying this specifically to you; you just happened to reply.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I'd imagine that like with Elthunder, Crash Bomber and peanuts don't cancel out a charged Dragon Fang Shot. And probably every non-transcendent projectile that does 4% or less. But would have to check though.
Palutena's Auto Reticule (1 shot ) cancels out Dragon Fang Shot and it deals about 2.5 (can't remember exact damage) The only thing I know that doesn't cancel DFS is Fox's and probably Falco's lasers (not counting Din's fire since it's a unique projectile) though there are projectiles I haven't tried..

Megaman's pelts cancel it out as well

Leaf barrier Beats out DFS, Sticky bomb and the gear cancels out along with DFS

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I was fighting a disrespectful G&W who didn't realize that I could angle my Fsmash, he went to the ledge and I started charging my Fsmash, and he immediately crouched.
Result: Fully charged tipper kills him,I win the match.
A thing of beauty.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Palutena's Auto Reticule (1 shot ) cancels out Dragon Fang Shot and it deals about 2.5 (can't remember exact damage) The only thing I know that doesn't cancel DFS is Fox's and probably Falco's lasers (not counting Din's fire since it's a unique projectile) though there are projectiles I haven't tried..

Megaman's pelts cancel it out as well

Leaf barrier Beats out DFS, Sticky bomb and the gear cancels out along with DFS
Fox and Falco's Blaster don't interact with any hitboxes because they're transcendent. So, it'll go through anything from a Mario jab, a Link Ftilt, the disjoints on Captain Falcon's Up and Side Smash, and any projectile like Luigi's Fireball, Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, and Ryu's Hadouken. This is both a good and bad thing. Good thing is they can bypass projectiles, but the bad thing is if they shoot too much, too close, or in Falco's case, shoots at all, and it bypasses a charged projectile.

For Corrin's Side Smash... During the charge, I believe the charging hitboxes are recoilless. Some people say trample, some people say... er... Anyway, the hitboxes will continue despite clanking meaning if spaced right, someone could clank with Corrin during her Side Smash, suffer from recovery, and she hits them with a charged Side Smash. I have a replay with that happening against Falco's Fair, but it's on the 3DS... Someone could just try to replicate the situation, though. Also, I think at a certain point, she can get hit since I landed with Falco's Fair which calls for Falco's landing hit and she got hit out of Side Smash.

TerumiLOLZ

Smash Apprentice
I've achieved so much help here concerning the Bayonetta matchup, yet I still struggle with some of the "better" Bayo players on for glory, and I'm stressing because I need to be able to beat a Bayonetta easily, or without such struggle due to an important match soon. Anybody here with a "relatively good" Bayonetta and that could tell me tips on how to improve my Corrin? I don't know what's wrong with me. :( I'd gladly go online now!

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
List of Characters you are able to hit with FH Fair when in standing position: (For setting up FH Fair -> Uair Kill Confirm)
:4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4dk::4littlemac::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4samus::4zss::4pit::4palutena::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4dedede::4falco::4charizard::4rob::4falcon::4wiifit::4shulk::4darkpit::4lucina::4mewtwo::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta:
:4bowserjr: and other Koopalings only get hit when they hop up in their idle animation of hopping up and down in their carts.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Fox and Falco's Blaster don't interact with any hitboxes because they're transcendent. So, it'll go through anything from a Mario jab, a Link Ftilt, the disjoints on Captain Falcon's Up and Side Smash, and any projectile like Luigi's Fireball, Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, and Ryu's Hadouken. This is both a good and bad thing. Good thing is they can bypass projectiles, but the bad thing is if they shoot too much, too close, or in Falco's case, shoots at all, and it bypasses a charged projectile.

For Corrin's Side Smash... During the charge, I believe the charging hitboxes are recoilless. Some people say trample, some people say... er... Anyway, the hitboxes will continue despite clanking meaning if spaced right, someone could clank with Corrin during her Side Smash, suffer from recovery, and she hits them with a charged Side Smash. I have a replay with that happening against Falco's Fair, but it's on the 3DS... Someone could just try to replicate the situation, though. Also, I think at a certain point, she can get hit since I landed with Falco's Fair which calls for Falco's landing hit and she got hit out of Side Smash.
I remember hearing about the transcendent property of the lasers lol the only way DFS is going to "beat something out" is if there is no interaction with the projectile :ohwell:. I remember seeing Ganon cancel it with Jab..

Imo Corrin needs some intangibility frames on him/her when Dragon lunge gets pinned to the ground/wall :ohwell:

Top Bottom